Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? (4342 Views)

I Look Younger Than My Age ??? / Will U Accept A Man Younger Than You? / Ladies: Would You Date A Man Younger Than You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by 2ruink(m): 11:40am On Aug 30, 2012
Maureen's mother gave birth to her at the age of 15 through what they described as unwanted pregnancy. Today, Maureen is 22yrs and wants to get married to a man who is 39yrs - a bit older than her mother. Having seen alot of men addressing their mother-inlaw as mama, my question is: if the groom is older than his mother-inlaw, is it also proper for such a man to call his mother-inlaw 'mama?'
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Fasterboy: 5:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
2ruink: Maureen's mother gave birth to her at the age of 15 through what they described as unwanted pregnancy. Today, Maureen is 22yrs and wants to get married to a man who is 39yrs - a bit older than her mother. Having seen alot of men addressing their mother-inlaw as mama, my question is: if the groom is older than his mother-inlaw, is it also proper for such a man to call his mother-inlaw 'mama?'
I don't think there is anything particularly bad about that in as much as she does not object.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Abeggi(m): 6:07pm On Aug 30, 2012
2ruink: Maureen's mother gave birth to her at the age of 15 through what they described as unwanted pregnancy. Today, Maureen is 22yrs and wants to get married to a man who is 39yrs - a bit older than her mother. Having seen alot of men addressing their mother-inlaw as mama, my question is: if the groom is older than his mother-inlaw, is it also proper for such a man to call his mother-inlaw 'mama?'

I would only address a woman other than my mother, as "mama" if she is at least old enough to be my mother.

In this scenario, I wouldn't be addressing Mauren's mother as such.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by 2ruink(m): 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
Abeg_gi:

I would only address a woman other than my mother, as "mama" if she is at least old enough to be my mother.

In this scenario, I wouldn't be addressing Mauren's mother as such.
what would you call her then?
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Mynd44: 6:15pm On Aug 30, 2012
It is thing of tradition. Not really that she is old enough to be your mother. Just call her that and get over it
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Abeggi(m): 6:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
2ruink:
what would you call her then?

It would very much be situational...but most likely, I wouldn't use any terms of endearment when addressing her. I'd focus more in conveying respect in my body language and words.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by ennkey(f): 6:36pm On Aug 30, 2012
Well since she is your "Mother-inlaw" you could address her as mum,mummy,mama regardless of the age difference no big deal!
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Mynd44: 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2012
^^
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Wi3ter(m): 6:46pm On Aug 30, 2012
Gonna be very very very awkward calling a lady the same age as me mama cheesy Not gonna happen.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by 2ruink(m): 7:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
Wi3ter: Gonna be very very very awkward calling a lady the same age as me mama cheesy Not gonna happen.
u read my mind
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 30, 2012
Errm, what happened to her name?

1 Like

Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Sijo01(f): 8:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
Just call her ' My Inlaw'....its allowed.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Sijo01(f): 8:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
sexkillz: Errm, what happened to her name?

on an Africa 'Nigeria' settings, its kinda disrespectful.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
Sijo01:

Now let me twist this Nollywood script a little. . .

Lets say freecocoa got pregnant at 15, had a daughter and somehow, sexkillz and freecocoa are in the same department in the university. They offer the same courses and occasionally bump into each other. They become friends and nothing more. Sexkillz was not privileged to know that freecocoa had a daughter. After graduation, they lost contact. Years later, It so happened that the lady sexkillz is in love with and wants to marry is freecocoa's daughter. . .

You expect me to call freecocoa, "mama"? undecided
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by MMM2(m): 8:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
Op
U can call her baby mama undecided

1 Like

Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by KINGwax(m): 8:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
sexkillz: Errm, what happened to her name?

Sijo01:

sexkillz is an hypocrite. I've alww knwn dt, and for the fact dt i biliv he's a yoruba man makes him a disgraceful hypocrite. Very shameless being
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by KINGwax(m): 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2012
sexkillz: Now let me twist this Nollywood script a little. . .

Lets say freecocoa got pregnant at 15, had a daughter and somehow, sexkills and freecocoa are in the same department in the university. They offer the same courses and occasionally bump into each other. They become friends and nothing more. Sexkillz was not privileged to know that freecocoa had a daughter. After graduation, they lost contact. Years later, It so happened that the lady sexkillz is in love with and wants to marry is freecocoa's daughter. . .

oh God! Do u have to display such foolishness? A pretence could have saved your face! Yuk!
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Sijo01(f): 8:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
sexkillz: Now let me twist this Nollywood script a little. . .

Lets say freecocoa got pregnant at 15, had a daughter and somehow, sexkillz and freecocoa are in the same department in the university. They offer the same courses and occasionally bump into each other. They become friends and nothing more. Sexkillz was not privileged to know that freecocoa had a daughter. After graduation, they lost contact. Years later, It so happened that the lady sexkillz is in love with and wants to marry is freecocoa's daughter. . .

com'on and cool down....... I never supported the 'mama' calling....... I said calling her 'My Inlaw' is more approprate.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Mynd44: 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2012
KINGwax: sexkillz is an hypocrite. I've alww knwn dt, and for the fact dt i biliv he's a yoruba man makes him a disgraceful hypocrite. Very shameless being
How are you sure he is yoruba?
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by slimyem: 9:11pm On Aug 30, 2012
Sijo's idea sounds better than all others..
Just call her MY-INLAW or avoid calling her by name altogether.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Barywhyte(m): 9:20pm On Aug 30, 2012

Walahi itz a delicate situation and it has more to do with pple involved: I mean thr culture an way of life. The less contact he has wit the mother in-law either on fone or thru physical contact, the better. And when they hv to meet or talk, he should just use his senses.

@ Poster: the picture u just pasted is a possibility. It can happen tho never seen one
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by jhydebaba(m): 10:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
Maureen sef, why would she marry someone old enough to be her father? What happened to all these "sagging" boys? Oh! Mama Maureen said she must marry someone who is rich hence the sugar daddy, ehnn, no P now. Since mama Maureen can allow dat even if Maureen husband calls her sweetie, its allowed.
*mama ko, omoobo ni.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Acidosis(m): 10:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
Call her MAMA.

I call my younger cousins "mama" atimes, even some husbands call their wives that.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by DIG1: 11:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
In as much dat nothing is impossible on planet earth, dis scenario is likely not gonna happen τ̅☺ some1 close τ̅☺ me, not τ̅☺ talk of me, so no need of thinking wat τ̅☺ call mama mureen
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Nobody: 2:34am On Aug 31, 2012
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Mynd44: 5:42am On Aug 31, 2012
I don't know what is so bad in calling her that.
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by cindyrella(f): 5:58am On Aug 31, 2012
Sijo01: Just call her ' My Inlaw'....its allowed.
Well said
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by KINGwax(m): 6:31am On Aug 31, 2012
Mynd_44:
How are you sure he is yoruba?
i never said he is, i said i BILIVD he is. And woteva fucck i biliv doesn't count for others except for me.
apocalypse:

He is very Igbo like you
bra, i aint tryin to be tribalistic wit the word 'yoruba', was only sayin my mind. But for me, i'm a fuckin yoruba dude, aint no other
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Mynd44: 6:44am On Aug 31, 2012
Kk
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by skydeep(f): 8:07am On Aug 31, 2012
why would Maureen marry a man older than her mother?
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by Fasterboy: 8:43am On Aug 31, 2012
skydeep:
why would Maureen marry a man older than her mother?
'cos of luv na. sheh luv na blind!
Re: how would you address your mother-inlaw if she is younger than you? by free2ryhme: 8:55am On Aug 31, 2012
i am older than her then i am older than her .. Age get im own respect for our society .... grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

She Lost Interest In Him Because He's Nairalander / Women Now Allowed To Walk Topless In Public In New York / She Agreed To Pass The Night In My House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.