Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,282 members, 7,818,956 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? (14374 Views)

What Next After Nysc? / What Next After NYSC NIM Induction? / Why Do Females Get Job Faster Than The Males After NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bibol:
Just what i thought! I think you didn't read the part where i said i've met some extraordinary graduates. I agree one needs God to get a good job, however many corps members are lazy. Maybe if people start thinking of ways to develop inner skills, we won't be here blaming our government. This govt has failed the youths, its high time we stopped trusting them cuz our leaders have nothing much to offer. Its totally wrong to accept corps members just because they are roaming the street, thereby, increasing the level of mediocrity in your organization. If someone deserves a placement, why not? But its sad to expect that you will get a good posting just by weeping and carrying a sad face about.

I understand you, but still I have nothing against any unemployed graduate youth in Nigeria becos even the ones we consider as not too intelligent or brilliant, are very creative and industrious, just our environment killing their ambition and talents. Do you know that some rare talents have been lost and killed by the Nigerian environment? Haven't you wondered why Nigerians who couldn't pass JAMB in Nigeria go abroad to graduate as best students? its cos Nigerians are so gifted and hardworking more than any other nation you can think of. Its just the devil that used bad leadership n corruption to destroy Nigeria's great future, if not Nigeria would have been the best country. I do not like to hear people who made it in life in any sector or field feeling too good or too smart than others who couldn't cos I still insist that no one is where he or she is by his or her hardwork or intelligence, never. It is God that choses, thats He said in the BIble, I WILL BLESS THOSE I WILL BLESS, so I insist that its not by our might. Can you sincerely tell me that President Goodluck Jonathan is the best man in the whole of Nigeria to merit being Nigeria's president? Can you prove same for Obama? All success, breakthrough, etc comes from God. I have come across industrious guys wallowing in penury, and I have come across lazy unitelligent folks swimming in success and riches. Even some MDs and Directors you hear or see in most top firms aren't better than some of their subjects or juniors or subordinates, just that they were chosen by God doesn't mean they are too good or better than others, pls if God has blessed you with good position, do not despise those still searching, help those u can help irrespective of their IQ or whatever, cos most are better than you and me! Always give thanks to God for placing you wherever you are presently cos it wasn't by your making. shalom!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 6:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
DailyNews:

I understand you, but still I have nothing against any unemployed graduate youth in Nigeria becos even the ones we consider as not too intelligent or brilliant, are very creative and industrious, just our environment killing their ambition and talents. Do you know that some rare talents have been lost and killed by the Nigerian environment? Haven't you wondered why Nigerians who couldn't pass JAMB in Nigeria go abroad to graduate as best students? its cos Nigerians are so gifted and hardworking more than any other nation you can think of. Its just the devil that used bad leadership n corruption to destroy Nigeria's great future, if not Nigeria would have been the best country. I do not like to hear people who made it in life in any sector or field feeling too good or too smart than others who couldn't cos I still insist that no one is where he or she is by his or her hardwork or intelligence, never. It is God that choses, thats He said in the BIble, I WILL BLESS THOSE I WILL BLESS, so I insist that its not by our might. Can you sincerely tell me that President Goodluck Jonathan is the best man in the whole of Nigeria to merit being Nigeria's president? Can you prove same for Obama? All success, breakthrough, etc comes from God. I have come across industrious guys wallowing in penury, and I have come across lazy unitelligent folks swimming in success and riches. Even some MDs and Directors you hear or see in most top firms aren't better than some of their subjects or juniors or subordinates, just that they were chosen by God doesn't mean they are too good or better than others, pls if God has blessed you with good position, do not despise those still searching, help those u can help irrespective of their IQ or whatever, cos most are better than you and me! Always give thanks to God for placing you wherever you are presently cos it wasn't by your making. shalom!
Good point u raised and i understand your stand. Whatever it is, don't encourage mediocrity, that doesn't stop you from being of help to people
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bibol:
Good point u raised and i understand your stand. Whatever it is, don't encourage mediocrity, that doesn't stop you from being of help to people

Sure, I never for once encourage people to be lazy or to seek for mediocre, but maybe as a lady you may not really understand cos you may not be having lots of people of different social class coming to you besides in your workplace and maybe for romance. See dear, some folks have done virtually everything even beyond mental, physical and human hardwork but to no avail when it comes to success or say financial breakthrough, you cannot blame them, they need extra power, hand, assistance, etc to break even, in such case u don't snare at them or rebuke them saying they are lazy or that they are the cause of the problem or situation, nope cos this life, hmmm, see, certain things in this life is just beyond our human understanding. for instance are u also saying that all single ladies and those who couldn't find a husband or a good husband to call theirs, who desired honestly to marry, are bad girls or say girls that don't know anything about relationship & marriage? of course the answer is NO!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by pingpong1: 6:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
Billyonaire: Jobs are everywhere but the skills are lacking. ATM engineers and technicians are needed by banks. Telecoms Exchange technicians. Nuclear energy scientists are needed now at our atomic energy laboratories. There are so many jobs but the skills are lacking... you see grauduates with pure sciences and social sciences and education degrees all over the place. These are not applied knowledge. We need to go back to skilled sector. That's where the money is.

I reckon people just want jobs to keep them going not "where the money is"
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by faceit: 6:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
getting a degree doesnt mean u should get a job where u just sit in office or behind a counter and sit all day 'white collar job', it should only give us an egde above others who do not have or who got it through fraudulent means, going to school shld expose us and help us think wide to make exploits.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 6:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
faceit: getting a degree doesnt mean u should get a job where u just sit in office or behind a counter and sit all day 'white collar job', it should only give us an egde above others who do not have or who got it through fraudulent means, going to school shld expose us and help us think wide to make exploits.
God bless u for this comment
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Yello1(m): 6:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
oluking: This is your first topic on nairaland.i can understand
and sooo?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bibol: The truth is that a lot of corps members are lazy, they want to serve in private companies where they will be well-paid but yet,they are not ready to give their best. I find it rather annoying to see youths walk into my office looking for a place to serve and when you give them simple aptitude tests, they fail woefully. Yet they come here to type rubbish and heap all the blame on the government and their "wicked" lecturers. This doesn't mean that some are not good enough, but majority of the "corpers" i had contact with recently were big disappointments. Mind you, i served too and was retained.

I understand where you are coming from but biko, take it easy on youth corps coming to your office to seek employment. I thought NYSC scheme has already stopped posting corp members to private institution anywayz.

Also, you must have been lucky cos you were posted to a company that retains corp members, there are many excellent candidates out there who are a lot better but never got your kind of break through. .

to NYSC grads out there, remember, It's not how fast but how well.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 04, 2012
saxywale:

I understand where you are coming from but biko, take it easy on youth corps coming to your office to seek employment. I thought NYSC scheme has already stopped posting corp members to private institution anywayz.

Also, you must have been lucky cos you were posted to a company that retains corp members, there are many excellent candidates out there who are a lot better but never got your kind of break through. .

to NYSC grads out there, remember, It's not how fast but how well.

Voted up! it is not always how we started but how we finished that counts. @those still searching for job, pls be patient, prayerful, positive n soon u will smile, not necessarily via day-job, but in ways u will not explain, just trust in God n watch out!
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by luvola(m): 7:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
this will definitely affect price of garri.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by seunwen2(m): 7:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
The problem with this unemployment is that everybody want a Gσσδ paying white collar job
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
Billyonaire: Jobs are everywhere but the skills are lacking. ATM engineers and technicians are needed by banks. Telecoms Exchange technicians. Nuclear energy scientists are needed now at our atomic energy laboratories. There are so many jobs but the skills are lacking... you see grauduates with pure sciences and social sciences and education degrees all over the place. These are not applied knowledge. We need to go back to skilled sector. That's where the money is.
Why can't some of these companies train some of these young graduates?believe me a lot of these guys are very sound but just lack the opportunity to explore their talents.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Loftyboy: 7:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
This question will b in Next year utme jamb by God's grace.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by segzylongus(m): 7:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
well many factors angry shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 7:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
DailyNews:

Voted up! it is not always how we started but how we finished that counts. @those still searching for job, pls be patient, prayerful, positive n soon u will smile, not necessarily via day-job, but in ways u will not explain, just trust in God n watch out!
And while waiting for a good job, don't be idle . Remember to keep working on yourself and acquiring skills that will make you marketable. That way, the sky will be your starting point.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by linearity: 7:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
see jamb question....I beg, brb make I check Wikipedia for the answer.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by 9jii(m): 8:01pm On Sep 04, 2012
Who are D coppers?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by TechRev: 8:09pm On Sep 04, 2012
People generally prefer silver gold diamonds to copper. My opinion though.

Ohh shit he meant corp members, ouch .....
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:12pm On Sep 04, 2012
Legit1: OP its like asking that infamous question, "how will this stop our leaders from being corrupt?" angry

I thought the infamous question was "... and how does this affect the price of Ga... ahem, em Gamalin 20?" smiley
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Turbocharged: 9:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
cashmentor: Every economy, Great, Small or Clueless will only survive and Grow when people start creating Jobs rather than looking for one....
The US economy is highly supported by self employed, entrepreneurs and small Biz owners....and the best part is that majority of these Biz owners are either drop outs or pure illitrates.. So, ur question should have been, "why do Copers lack creativity and initiative"?
My dear, No economy will ever grow if everyone look for Jobs, economies only grow when People Create Jobs....
Spot on!
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2012
this unemployment thing sef starts before the Corper get a place to serve. During my service year, some Copers no dey get PPA at all. Not because they do not want to serve but it's due to the fact that there are few places to serve. All the schools, companies, churches/mosques are filled with Corpers or people who are through with their NYSC. However, some Corp Members don't serach for jobs before they finish there service. This is not a good idea. And again there are job opportunities in someones state of deployment but many people will prefer to go back home to search for work. I won't blame them, serving in a place like Maiduguri and been retained is a thing that one may not celebrate.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Dee60: 11:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
Please face the issue - Employers are looking for people who have skills and who are ready to work hard. That is the way it is world over. However, nearly one out of every 2 corpers you meet (if not more) are just looking for fat salaries and not minding how they will work for the money.

I was actually shocked to find out that when small and medium companies call some corpers for interviews, 50% of the time they even choose not to show up, and they donot send apologies, whereas they sent confirmations earlier that they will attend.

Bottom line, there is a 'follow-follow' syndrome. My friend has been called by MTN and First Bank, and I have to get that same type of job. But how many people can these big players take?

I am not saying these to castigate corpers. Not at all. I am just wishing that many of them will learn.

1. Do up your CV very professionally before you finish NYSC
2. Make up your mind what you want to do and apply for jobs you like
3. Spend time and resources applying for jobs
4. Dont waste opportunities - Take every invitation serious, afterall you were the one that applied
5. Dress well on interview date. Do not put on Jeans trousers and polo shirts. many job seekers do and its annoying
6. In fact, dress formally.
7. Research on the organization and be professional during interviews. Some little mistakes are irritating (like speaking PIDGIN at interviews)
8. Follow up with calls to show you are really interested. You stand a better chance when you call or mail to followw up.
9. Remember, as one author said: GETTING A JOB IS A JOB
10. Etcetera

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by macodollar: 12:15am On Sep 05, 2012
N how will this stop our leaders from being corrupt?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Dondbuzor: 5:40am On Sep 05, 2012
oluking: This is your first topic on nairaland.i can understand
And his first topic hit d front page. And if I may ask u with several topics, how of urs has made it to d trending and talkless of d frontpage.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Dondbuzor: 6:07am On Sep 05, 2012
Y are u attacking him for saying d obvious. Is it because u re agric student or u graduated from agric dept.
Must u wait for govt to give u loan before u start farming? That's d hypocrisy of d highest order. U can as well be waiting for govt to provide u with food and shelter.

searay:
Please can you answer the following?
1. What do u know about agriculture Nig?
2. What aspect of Agriculture are you refering to?
3. Practically, has Nigeria really diversify her economy?
4. Are all agric or agric related graduates politicians to get loans from gov't? Or do they all have collateral to obtain loans from the bank?
I'm waiting for the ans
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by chyket(m): 7:43am On Sep 05, 2012
I think basically it's because the nature of training they received in school is to come out and expect to be EMPLOYED and unfortunately there are not many jobs around in Nigeria.
I think that if the average Nigerian graduate will begin to think like an Enterpreneur,maybe they may begin to see solutions to the many problems of our great nation Nigeria. The problems you solve around you will make people to put money in your pocket.I am always amazed that in a nation of 160m people,if you are able to provide a solution to a problem and just 100,000 buy into your solution and you just make 10naira only from each you are smiling home with 1,000,000 naira.
This is the only major reasons Indians,Chinesse and other foreigners continue to troop down here.
The potentials our nation hold are enormous!!!
I encourage our young graduates to think more Enterpreneural and forget the challenges they think are around because it's all imaginary and in their head.They are not real.
Finally Let them begin to see problems around them as having potentials to earn them incomes and they should flog their Internet for positive informations that will aid their search for solutions to problems in their neighborhoods.
Each time I click google for informations,the amount of information I get confirms my stand that no generation on planet earth has been as lucky as the current one because of how CHEAP information has become because at the click of a botton,the information that will have taken your Grandfather 10 years to get you now get in 10seconds.
Regards

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by akinacct(m): 8:13am On Sep 05, 2012
The reality on Ground are...
Most of the graduate are not employable and also the want to start Big
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by crackhouse(m): 8:41am On Sep 05, 2012
Because Nig. Govt derives pleasure from seeing our youths carrying files up & down and begging for food. Who will be their slave if all nigerians are rich like them? Who will bow for them? Who will call them Ochiliozuo 1?. It's only the poor that can do all those things, so they so much need them around.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by JustCardigans: 9:14am On Sep 05, 2012
pro01: My goodness. I've seen some really inane front page threads on NL in my time. . .but this one takes the cake. Or is the topic supposed to be a rhetorical question? You mean you [i]really[i/] don't know why corpers lack employment after NYSC?
Lol......... Same here o! I read the post saying to myself, does it require rocket science to know why there are NO JOBS?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Damseluc(f): 9:42am On Sep 05, 2012
Ask Google
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by patrickmuf(m): 9:54am On Sep 05, 2012
Where you see job?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by uyorabi(m): 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
why wait for jobs when u can be ur own boss?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Open Letter To Outgoing Corps Members - Here’s Your Reality Check / Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? / Batch B 2013 Corpers Posted To Oyo State, Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.