Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,487 members, 7,816,152 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". (1085 Views)

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / Multilinks Balance Check / How To Set Up Cybercafe With Multilinks Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". by medman007(m): 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2008
[size=17pt]Hi Fellow NLs, I tried to share multilinks dialup connection between 2 systems, but the client system is not working and the error it gave at the two system was limited or no connection on the LAN area. This is what av done so far.
After the first system connection as been configured, i inserted a lan card on the both system and clipd a cross over cabe to connect the two systems. I also located the dialup icon on the server and click on the properties and then advance to check (enable) the Internet Connection Sharing Box (ICS). after doing this, i expected the client system to work but it doesn't simply because of this Error message "Limited or no Connection" on the Lan Card. but i didn't configure the lan card, i mean i didn't specify an IP address, i left it on "Obtain an IP automatically". but one thing is i joined the cable i used. so am suggesting it might be the cable. but i decided to make this post so that i would know if there is anything else i need to do and if it's necessary that i make a manual ip config, if yes, what are the inputs. your contributions are higly welcome

Ahmed.
[/size]
Re: Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". by Maleeq(m): 2:03pm On Jan 07, 2008
It sure sounds like the cross over cable you have is faulty(not properly done). Before we conclude that the cable has the fault, try these out:

- Confirm that the ICS system has the share configured on the network interface going to the other system (Assuming you have more than one interface on your system).

- To enter a manual configuration on the other PC, try this:
- By default, the ICS system would have an IP of 192.168.01 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 set on the interface the share is configured on.
- Now, start a command prompt on the ICS system and enter "ipconfig /all"
- Copy the DNS settings on the dial up interface.
- On the other system, enter the following
I.P: 192.168.0.2
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: {enter the values you copied from the ICS system}

If after all these and it still does not work, then its a physical layer fault (cable or network cards)

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Re: Help Needed On "sharing Multilinks Connection Setween 2 Systems". by Wysiwyg: 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2008
@medman007,

Since you said the client system is showing limited connection, that means your hardware layers are very good. I repeat, good and intact. Now the problem you are suffering from is that you are doing first before last and last before first. When you use a dial-up connection to access the internet and you want to use it on more than a system, you dont dial into your ISP before connecting the LAN, the first thing you do is set up the LAN, once the LAN is working fine, even if you cant share files dont worry, you are not designing a network here, all you want is internet connection sharing so you are allowed to use either crossed, straight, bend or whatever cable you want as long as the network icon displays "connected at 100Mbps or so" depending on your LAN card. After achieving this, you now dial into your ISP on the host system and this is where your ISP (multilinks) will assign IPs to both the host system and the client. That is where the "obtain IP automatically" function comes in.

After this, you are good to go on both systems, but note your connection will be a little bit slower as both of you are sharing bandwidth now.

Shikenah.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Possible to use desktop bootable CD for laptop? / Visafone Usb Morderm (visafone Communication) / Linux Users Lounge (hobbist Etc)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.