Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,245 members, 7,815,352 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? (3230 Views)

Ten (10) Shocking Hidden Truths In Christendom. / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Please I Want To Know The Relevance Of Virgin Mary In Christendom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 1:43am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Of course but neither did it say that no man should marry more than one wife.my point is that both is allowed.If you can only have a wife,thats good but if you want to have more than one,well,thats fine.that's how it is in the bible.
since you know how it is in the bible, wtf is the essence of this thread?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 5:15am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Of course but neither did it say that no man should marry more than one wife.my point is that both is allowed.If you can only have a wife,thats good but if you want to have more than one,well,thats fine.that's how it is in the bible.
Deutronomy 21:15 says
"If a man has two wives,one loved and the other unloved,and they have borne him children,both the loved and the unloved,and if the firstborn son is of her who is un-loved,
that verse above shows that polygamy is allowed
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 5:17am On Sep 08, 2012
ondo_boi: since you know how it is in the bible, wtf is the essence of this thread?
for the christians to bring out a verse to support their claim.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by jamil2(m): 8:21am On Sep 08, 2012
ondo_boi: its not forbidden, but discouraged in the christiandom
Bros, remember Jesus was never marry in his life time to me the issue of polygamy is not what we suppose to centred our arguement on but why Xtians aren't copy from him and live up to that? If xtians are truly and believe on Jesus they shouldn't have been married and lives without it. As the reverse in the case muslims could marry up to 4 wives because it was booked on their holy book which is quite good for them. Kindly accept this as my view please don't see it as insult to Xtianity. Peace!
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 08, 2012
jamil!:
Bros, remember Jesus was never marry in his life time to me the issue of polygamy is not what we suppose to centred our arguement on but why Xtians aren't copy from him and live up to that? If xtians are truly and believe on Jesus they shouldn't have been married and lives without it. As the reverse in the case muslims could marry up to 4 wives because it was booked on their holy book which is quite good for them. Kindly accept this as my view please don't see it as insult to Xtianity. Peace!
First of, christians are group of believers that adopt Jesus Preaching and most of his way of life. No where in the bible was it stated that jesus one time or the other got married, neither was it stated that he never got married, the bible was totally silent that. But putting together some bible passages could help answer the question. http://www.openbible.info/topics/was_jesus_married
No where in the bible did Jesus or any rule/law condemned marriage but it was encouraged as it was noted that he himself attended a wedding and behold his first miracle happened during a wedding ceremony. Jesus preached and gave his view about marriage, but he discouraged polygamy...
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 10:00am On Sep 08, 2012
Therefore shall A man leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife and they shall become one flesh.- gen 2:24.
A man and his wife nt wives
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 10:10am On Sep 08, 2012
jamil!:
Jesus attend a wedding ceremony and performed a miracle, if he didnt like marriages, he would neva have attended. Do muslims recieve revelations frm allah? Afteral mohd did.
Jesus on why divorce is not encouraged, which means marriage is also endorsed by HIM.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

"If a man has two wives,one loved and the other unloved,and they have borne him children,both the loved and the unloved,and if the firstborn son is of her who is un-loved,
Abd'Hafeez:

Abd'Hafeez:

don't get it all twisted brother, you wanted a christian to provide you with a bible verse that encourages polygamy but yet you went ahead to pick the wrong text by yourself, Deutronomy was written by Moses long before christianity came into existence.. Brother the truth is THERE ARE MANY BIBLE VERSES THAT ENCOURAGED IT in the old testament but not NEVER IN THE NEW TESTAMENT. See my definition of christianity in my previous post, and hence, JESUS preached against polygamy
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by EvilBrain1(m): 10:37am On Sep 08, 2012
Polygamy is not prohibited in the bible. The only thing it says is that you can't become a bishop if you have more than one wife.

The reason why modern Christians are monogamous is that the church as it presently exists was born out of the Roman and Greek cultures where polygamy was taboo. It's not against the bible.

Have said that, I think there are plenty of legal and social reasons why it should not be allowed. Unfortunately, most Nigerians refuse to apply logic and common sense to such matters and rely on dusty old books to tell them how to live. It's really quite sad.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 10:53am On Sep 08, 2012
ondo_boi: don't get it all twisted brother, you wanted a christian to provide you with a bible verse that encourages polygamy but yet you went ahead to pick the wrong text by yourself, Deutronomy was written by Moses long before christianity came into existence.. Brother the truth is THERE ARE MANY BIBLE VERSES THAT ENCOURAGED IT in the old testament but not NEVER IN THE NEW TESTAMENT. See my definition of christianity in my previous post, and hence, JESUS preached against polygamy
Jesus said in Matthew 5:17 that he didn't come to destroy the law or the prophets,but to fulfill it.So the OT is still much valid
To prove my point in the NT,the Sadducees questioned Jesus in matthew 22:23-33 about who in the day of resurrection,will be the husband of a woman who married 7 brothers one at a time according to Moses law which says "If a man dies,having no children,his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother".
Jesus replied saying there's no marriage in the resurrection.
My point is,if one of the brother has a wife of his own and then takes his brother's wife,isn't that polygamy? Jesus obviously had no problem with this or he would have said something about it.
where in the NT is polygamy forbidden?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:19am On Sep 08, 2012
Evil Brain: Polygamy is not prohibited in the bible. The only thing it says is that you can't become a bishop if you have more than one wife.

The reason why modern Christians are monogamous is that the church as it presently exists was born out of the Roman and Greek cultures where polygamy was taboo. It's not against the bible.

Have said that, I think there are plenty of legal and social reasons why it should not be allowed. Unfortunately, most Nigerians refuse to apply logic and common sense to such matters and rely on dusty old books to tell them how to live. It's really quite sad.
Exactly.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2012
Bélla3: Therefore shall A man leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife and they shall become one flesh.- gen 2:24.
A man and his wife nt wives
Exodus 21:10 says
"If he takes ANOTHER wife,he shall not diminish her food,her clothings,and her marriage rights.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by jamil2(m): 1:06pm On Sep 08, 2012
Bélla3: Jesus attend a wedding ceremony and performed a miracle, if he didnt like marriages, he would neva have attended. Do muslims recieve revelations frm allah? Afteral mohd did.
Jesus on why divorce is not encouraged, which means marriage is also endorsed by HIM.
Ma'am let we look at it this way as a role model what do you expect from your fellowers if they fail to emulate you? As the matter of fact Jesus should be first to marry and however the others should have joined the suit. I read your input above telling me that he attended wedding that is why you are seeing it as a good thing although he condem it not, but remember as a leader whatever you put into practice others will accept it as a good thing, while the stuff in which you supported but you have never practise it has a question on it. So why Jesus was never marry?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2012
jamil!:
Ma'am let we look at it this way as a role model what do you expect from your fellowers if they fail to emulate you? As the matter of fact Jesus should be first to marry and however the others should have joined the suit. I read your input above telling me that he attended wedding that is why you are seeing it as a good thing although he condem it not, but remember as a leader whatever you put into practice others will accept it as a good thing, while the stuff in which you supported but you have never practise it has a question on it. So why Jesus was never marry?
according to some people he died at thirty three. He was young. Perhaps thats the reason. But let me tell u this you can neva be exactly like ur role model
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 9:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Exodus 21:10 says
"If he takes ANOTHER wife,he shall not diminish her food,her clothings,and her marriage rights.
are you this dull? Pls read from verse 7.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
brother wiegraf. maybe you are right. i really dont know. i felt a bit bad for the words i said after watching this phillipino Tagalog song with english translation) that i came across. it so sa. sad

check it out if you must. dont laugh. just bear through the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtE9adF8iZQ
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by okeyxyz(m): 10:48pm On Sep 08, 2012
@Abd'Hafeez,
I'm loving your arguments here. The truth is that most "christians" are either delusional, or are deliberately suppressing the doctrines of christianity(ie: hypocrisy) so they can conform to european cultures, or they are just too lazy to evaluate this "christianity" that they subject themselves to. Nowhere in the bible did any doctrine(whether christian or jewish) make polygamy a sin. The only restriction to one-wife rule was in regards to bishops, yet these "christians" are not able to tell us why that stipulation for bishops must be forced on everybody. Sticking to one wife might be an "ideal" thing, but to say that polygamy is "unchristian" & impermissible?? Now this is the real "anti-christianity"
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 10:51pm On Sep 08, 2012
Bélla3: are you this dull? Pls read from verse 7.
Its better not to resort to name calling.Its who should read the context from 7-11.
Again "If he takes ANOTHER wife,he shall not diminish her food,her clothing nor her MARRIAGE RIGHTS.
Whose marriage rights you should ask yourself.
Also Deutronomy 21:15 says
"If a man has two wives,one loved and the other unloved,and they have borne him children,both the loved and the unloved,and if the firstborn son is of her who is unloved,
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by okeyxyz(m): 10:55pm On Sep 08, 2012
@wiegraf, @PAGAN 9JA,
How have you guys managed to derail a perfectly unambiguous thread about polygamy to turn it into a debate on homos.exuality
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
okeyxyz: @Abd'Hafeez,
I'm loving your arguments here. The truth is that most "christians" are either delusional, or are deliberately suppressing the doctrines of christianity(ie: hypocrisy) so they can conform to european cultures, or they are just too lazy to evaluate this "christianity" that they subject themselves to. Nowhere in the bible did any doctrine(whether christian or jewish) make polygamy a sin. The only restriction to one-wife rule was in regards to bishops, yet these "christians" are not able to tell us why that stipulation for bishops must be forced on everybody. Sticking to one wife might be an "ideal" thing, but to say that polygamy is "unchristian" & impermissible?? Now this is the real "anti-christianity"
My point exactly.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 11:27pm On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Its better not to resort to name calling.Its who should read the context from 7-11.
Again "If he takes ANOTHER wife,he shall not diminish her food,her clothing nor her MARRIAGE RIGHTS.
Whose marriage rights you should ask yourself.
Also Deutronomy 21:15 says
"If a man has two wives,one loved and the other unloved,and they have borne him children,both the loved and the unloved,and if the firstborn son is of her who is unloved,
*sigh* at the way u quote witout reading the preceeding verse.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 11:43pm On Sep 08, 2012
Bélla3: *sigh* at the way u quote witout reading the preceeding verse.
I read preceeding verses,i only quote relevant verse though.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 11:47pm On Sep 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
brother wiegraf. maybe you are right. i really dont know. i felt a bit bad for the words i said after watching this phillipino Tagalog song with english translation) that i came across. it so sa. sad

check it out if you must. dont laugh. just bear through the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtE9adF8iZQ

What's with these high levels of maturity I'm getting from you? On nairaland? smiley
I apologize if I was a little rude. Thank $deity for tech so people can communicate and deal with some of the sillier aspects of various cultures, we can now see the other side of the story more clearly. And I think all asian music is corny smiley, but the end of that video was really good, thanks.
Also, if you haven't read that link I posted earlier, don't.(no, seriously, There's a....surprise at the end )

@okey, yeah you guys can do whatever you want with your christianity of course, but there are human rights issues at play here also. That's my concern. It seems though this is more a christian/muslim thread, so I'll back off.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Bella3(f): 11:47pm On Sep 08, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

I read preceeding verses,i only quote relevant verse though.
thats were u miss it sir! The whole chapter is relevant to explain a verse!
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by smithoo(m): 11:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
Having more than one woman is simply immorality. The book of 1st corinthians 7 discussed extensively about marriage. "It is good for a man not to marry but since there is so much immorality,each man should have is wife and each woman her own husband"
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by Nobody: 1:40am On Sep 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

how about a woman having more than one husband what is your take on that? or are you telling me that your religion is gender-biased
Yes mr pagan, Islam dosent consider women as equals with men, so therefore in a context islam is gender biased
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by alstacs(m): 3:33am On Sep 09, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

Polyandry creates a lot of problem.
One of them is the Identity of the child,though that can be solved through DNA test,its still not the best option.
Also,a woman married to many husbands won't be able to attend to their various needs at the same time.there's bound to be a clash.

There is no such thing as normal or norm that is universally common, every culture, community or people fixes norms.

You (along with some other people that posted earlier) said this cos you believe that patriarchal family system is the norm when there are indeed some communities with the matriarchal system.

So nothing is against the law of nature, it is just that what is seen as law of nature is a situation that is common to many cultures and races.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by alstacs(m): 3:48am On Sep 09, 2012
Abd'Hafeez:

I appreciate the fact that you are open and liberal, the concept of searching for just verses is dangerous however. Books, and more importantly holy books, are to be interpreted in context rather than in verses isolation. People that interpret and rely on sentences and verses in isolation may easily get misled and may become dangerous to the religion which they practice.

....just saying...
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by okeyxyz(m): 3:55am On Sep 09, 2012
wiegraf:
@okey, yeah you guys can do whatever you want with your christianity of course, but there are human rights issues at play here also. That's my concern. It seems though this is more a christian/muslim thread, so I'll back off.

As far as this thread is concerned, the issue is polygamy(or polyandry) and it's evolution through human cultures/religions, I'm interested to see how christians and non-christians truly(not the blatant lies) interpret it.

As regards your exchanges with @PAGAN_9JA concerning homos.exuality, I find them also interesting but I refuse to participate while on this thread for the obvious reason of not derailing. I'd rather you guys open a new thread and I promise to "spill my guts" on the matter. cheesy
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 5:03am On Sep 09, 2012
Bélla3: thats were u miss it sir! The whole chapter is relevant to explain a verse!
You asked me if I read preceeding verses and I said I do.Nowhere did I say I don't read the whole chapter.
Morever,you also quoted Gen 2:24,isn't that a verse?
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by AbdHafeez1(m): 5:30am On Sep 09, 2012
smithoo: Having more than one woman is simply immorality. The book of 1st corinthians 7 discussed extensively about marriage. "It is good for a man not to marry but since there is so much immorality,each man should have is wife and each woman her own husband"
1 corintians 7:1-2
1.Now concerning the things of which you wrote to me:It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2.Nevertheless,because of s.exual immorality,Let each man have his own wife,and let each woman have her own husband.
Read and re-read that again Paul didn't say Let each man have Only one wife.
"Let each man have his OWN wife",
That means a man should marry his wife and not touch a woman whom he has no rights to touch as that will be s.exual immorality.
Re: Why Is Polygamy Not Allowed In Christendom? by wiegraf: 5:32am On Sep 09, 2012
okeyxyz:

As far as this thread is concerned, the issue is polygamy(or polyandry) and it's evolution through human cultures/religions, I'm interested to see how christians and non-christians truly(not the blatant lies) interpret it.

As regards your exchanges with @PAGAN_9JA concerning homos.exuality, I find them also interesting but I refuse to participate while on this thread for the obvious reason of not derailing. I'd rather you guys open a new thread and I promise to "spill my guts" on the matter. cheesy

Have you met simon? He might still be on this thread. Say hello when free
https://www.nairaland.com/1033435/how-feel-lesbian-gay-bisexual

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muslim Paradise Vs Christian Paradise (must Read) / How Can I Know If I Am Going To Heaven? / Many Men Of God Have Deviated From The Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.