Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,463 members, 7,954,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:58 AM

Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title (18684 Views)

David Mark Bags Chieftaincy Title In Ohimini, Benue (pics) / Fayose Openly Declines Omojuwa’s Invitation / Dino Melaye Bags Chieftaincy Title (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by redsun(m): 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2012
Award of excellence oyinbo style is just as the same as chieftancy title,but in african way.That is the way traditional African societies award truly noble and selfless individual in the communities,for their positive contributions.And that help keep the communities intact,competitive,accountable.progressive and villains free.

Although it has been politicize like every other thing in nigeria,but it colud be revived and that could be the way.The African way.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

Those houses you posted cost about £80,000 - £150,000 - I know people who applied...

How many normal Nigerians can afford them?
You said at first he is not building anything. Now it is within the prices of 50 -150 pounds!

Dude, you never said things they way they were. The poor need to also do their best. You don't expect him to build shanty homes because of low cost housing. Those buildings are not within those prices you posted. You look at the buildings and fix your prices, that is a fact.

Meanwhile,It is like there are mortgages for those homes.

Link :http://www.lagoshomsgov.org/index.php/epe
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by seunajia: 1:57pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

Those houses you posted cost about £80,000 - £150,000 - I know people who applied...

How many normal Nigerians can afford them?

Shymexx, I'm not a LASG mouth-piece, lol. But I'll explain because I feel most of your criticism and questions are borne out of love for Lagos and Nigeria.

The one my uncle applied for was in the region of 7-10 million Naira, there were different plans and there was mortgage (15years or so). I don't want to mis-inform you, esp with figures. Check the link I posted.

BTW, my uncle is a civil servant, a teacher(LASG).
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2012
seunajia:

Shymexx, I'm not a LASG mouth-piece, lol. But I'll explain because I feel most of your criticism and questions are borne out of love for Lagos and Nigeria.

The one my uncle applied for was in the region of 7-10 million Naira, there were different plans and there was mortgage (15years or so). I don't want to mis-inform you, esp with figures. Check the link I posted.

BTW, my uncle is a civil servant, a teacher(LASG).
The link to the mortgage and pricing: http://www.lagoshomsgov.org/index.php/faqs-mainmenu-25/featureandpricing
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2012
They're all the same rogues, Lagos needs another Jakande to turn things around before they push everyone to Ijebu Ode with their megacity crap... Spread the megacity pipe dreams to the mainland - and leave Epe the fvck alone if you can't provide low cost houses for the people over there... undecided

I'm out!! cool
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by redsun(m): 1:59pm On Sep 09, 2012
I wan do,na shakara.They all seems confused.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx: They're all the same rogues, Lagos needs another Jakande to turn things around before they push everyone to Ijebu Ode with their megacity crap... Spread the megacity pipe dreams to the mainland - and leave Epe the fvck alone if you can't provide low cost houses for the people over there... undecided

I'm out!! cool
Dude, what are you? try to be reasonable sometimes. He is better than any other governor that has ruled Lagos, that is a fact.

Nobody is saying he's perfect but he is trying to achieve something good out of Lagos.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: You said at first he is not building anything. Now it is within the prices of 50 -150 pounds!

Dude, you never said things they way they were. The poor need to also do their best. You don't expect him to build shanty homes because of low cost housing. Those buildings are not within those prices you posted. You look at the buildings and fix your prices, that is a fact.

Meanwhile,It is like there are mortgages for those homes.

Link :http://www.lagoshomsgov.org/index.php/epe

How many of those houses are out there? And are you sure normal people can apply, and get those houses??

I understand Nigerian politics, that crap is just politics..
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: Dude, what are you? try to be reasonable sometimes. He is better than any other governor that has ruled Lagos, that is a fact.

Nobody is saying he's perfect but he is trying to achieve something good out of Lagos.

So, this guy is better than Jakande...

You need to read more and converse with people who were in Lagos during Jakande's tenure..

He's better because he's a capitalist like you, and money talks in everything.. undecided
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

How many of those houses are out there? And are you sure normal people can apply, and get those houses??

I understand Nigerian politics, that crap is just politics..
You don't have to ask me those questions. I think something is being done and Fashola tenure alone cannot solve Lagos poor people's problem neither will there be an end to the poverty in that city.

I agree it can be a political crap but the poor has to do something to let their voices be heard concerning those purchasing the homes. You too can prove it that those homes are not being sold to the right people and take it from there. Fight for your rights and don't always expect the government to provide you everything in the platter of gold. Lazy Nigerians!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

So, this guy is better than Jakande...

You need to read more and converse with people who were in Lagos during Jakande's tenure..

He's better because he's a capitalist like you, and money talks in everything.. undecided
What did Jakande do? I need a list and compare with Fashola's.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by solomon111(m): 2:10pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: You don't have to ask me those questions. I think something is being done and Fashola tenure alone cannot solve Lagos poor people's problem neither will there be an end to the poverty in that city.

I agree it can be a political crap but the poor has to do something to let their voices be heard concerning those purchasing the homes. You too can prove it that those homes are not being sold to the right people and take it from there. Fight for your rights and don't always expect the government to provide you everything in the platter of gold. Lazy Nigerians!
guy stop regurgitating crap.
Na wa o.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: You don't have to ask me those questions. I think something is being done and Fashola tenure alone cannot solve Lagos poor people's problem neither will there be an end to the poverty in that city.

I'm not talking about poor people who came to Lagos, I'm talking about the poor indigenes... There has to be provisions for them, it's their state - and he needs to do something about their plight... Lagos is a rich state and the indigenes deserve special recognition, that was my point...

And what's the point of having a government, if the government can't provide for the people they govern?? Yet under the land-use act, all the land in the state belongs to the government... It's like 'ying yang' - the government can't eat its cake and have it... If the government can't provide for the people - the government might as well leave the people alone...

Ooops, I forget you have got a Nigerian jungle mentality where it's about the survival of the fittest like the animal kingdom... undecided
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2012
solomon111: guy stop regurgitating crap.
Na wa o.
What crap? I can't see crap. Then, prove he's not being doing anything. From light-rail system to road construction. From sanitizing the city of touts like you to beautification.There are evidences Lagos city looks better with Fashola as governor than any other. Oshodi was a typical rogue (like you) haven before he demolished the area. I can go on and on.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by redsun(m): 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2012
The people decides who is good and the people are the communities,headed by rational traditional rulers.Not the traditional rulers of highest bidders,where villains can buy their ways into traditional institutions,but the ones that have been for generations the heart beats of the communities,the custodians and the noble upholders of the land.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: What did Jakande do? I need a list and compare with Fashola's.

This is what I got from my archives:

His administration was effective and open. He introduced housing and educational programs targeting the poor, building new neighbourhood primary and secondary schools and providing free primary and secondary education. He established the Lagos State University. Jakande's government constructed over 20,000 housing units. The schools and housing units were built cheaply, but were of great value. He also started a metroline project to facilitate mass transit. The project was halted and his tenure as Governor ended when the military seized power on 31 December 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateef_Jakande

27 Years After, Lagos Honours Jakande
Jakande who ruled Lagos between 1979 and 1983, is noted as the builder of modern Lagos with various innovative projects which transformed the state from its initial colonial outlook to a modern society. Speaker of Lagos House of Assembly, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, who said it was regrettable that Jakande had been completely forgotten in spite of his meritorious service to humanity, added that the House would not be part of those who ignore Jakande while he lives only to roll out drums after he departs to the world beyond.

Jakande was so honoured and celebrated, having been described as the greatest governor the state ever produced in view of his innumerable achievements which they believed put Lagos as one of the cities to reckon with across the globe. It is against this background that Ikuforiji lamented that beneficiaries of the ongoing democracy has been so engrossed with greed and corruption that they forget to accord honour to whom it is due.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/27-years-after-lagos-honours-jakande/83935/
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Jubilee12: 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2012
solomon111: prosperity in lagos?
Where in lagos,cos i can't see any.
The residents of bariga,yaba,mushin,oyingbo,and all parts of mainland will stone you,if they hear you say such in the public.
The only people enjoying his government are those in the island and ikeja.
As far as a lot of people are concerned,fashola is a 'rich man governor'.

Have you been to Surulere, Itire etc? Are they on the Island? You guys should learn to be truthfull and appreciate good things!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 09, 2012
redsun: Award of excellence oyinbo style is just as the same as chieftancy title,but in african way.That is the way traditional African societies award truly noble and selfless individual in the communities,for their positive contributions.And that help keep the communities intact,competitive,accountable.progressive and villains free.

Although it has been politicize like every other thing in nigeria,but it colud be revived and that could be the way.The African way.
i dnt know much about the chieftancy title. But frm the write up, i deduced it demands some level of commitment on the part of the reciever. If its jst the same as the award of excellence(based on what you wrote) then there must be some other reasons why he rejected it. Someone pointed out the oba has some bad records.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Aderostock(m): 2:22pm On Sep 09, 2012
Do you all know once Fashola descends on the most mainland cities suchas Iyana ipaja, Agege. Abule-egba, Agbado etc,the residents in these areas will be calling for his head cos he's going to demolish some structures and pave ways for motorists on the major roads where market women are selling their petty commodities? So, my governor is buying his time in those areas. When the time comes we will all witness his transfomations around dat parts of the state. Gbam!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

I'm not talking about poor people who came to Lagos, I'm talking about the poor indigenes... There has to be provisions for them, it's their state - and he needs to do something about their plight... Lagos is a rich state and the indigenes deserve special recognition, that was my point...

And what's the point of having a government, if the government can't provide for the people they govern?? Yet under the land-use act, all the land in the state belongs to the government... It's like 'ying yang' - the government can't eat its cake and have it... If the government can't provide for the people - the government might as well leave the people alone...

Ooops, I forget you have got a Nigerian jungle mentality where it's about the survival of the fittest like the animal kingdom... undecided
Thank you for the last line in bold. That is typical of Nigerians which you are one of them. I can tell you expect to be given everything on a platter of gold. I expect you to have that in the UK.

However, concerning the land act of Lagos, which I have no idea of and I can not speak on that. There is nowhere in the world where those whose lands have been taking not protesting or lodging complain with the judicial system. Another thing is that the state might be rich but also burden with huge opportunities which might actually be above the income. You seem to just speak in the air the state is rich but not even among the first 5 rich cities of Africa and with well over a population of 15 million. Please, get your homework done before insinuating anything with baseless evidences.

I still think you are missing something here, that is Fashola is not perfect but better, when it comes to what have been achieved so far in relationship with the others who have ruled the state.

Yes, a lot needs to be done. I think he is doing his best and it might not be good enough.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by solomon111(m): 2:24pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: What crap? I can't see crap. Then, prove he's not being doing anything. From light-rail system to road construction. From sanitizing the city of touts like you to beautification.There are evidences Lagos city looks better with Fashola as governor than any other. Oshodi was a typical rogue (like you) haven before he demolished the area. I can go on and on.
The only place witnessing fashola govt,are the island,ikeja and ikoyi.
The mainland have been completly isolated despite the fact they are completly pro-acn.
And most of the so-called projects he claims to carry out are federal govt collaboration.
Fashola represents an elitist form of govt,and is not what lagos and Nigeria needs now.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 09, 2012
solomon111: The only place witnessing fashola govt,are the island,ikeja and ikoyi.
The mainland have been completly isolated despite the fact they are completly pro-acn.
And most of the so-called projects he claims to carry out are federal govt collaboration.
Fashola represents an elitist form of govt,and is not what lagos and Nigeria needs now.
Whatever! Whether federal government or not there is no other state in Nigeria witnessing development as Lagos. If that doesn't speak of Fashola deeds to you then you can never see good in anybody work!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

This is what I got from my archives:

I asked for list. Not what is being pedal as achievement on Wikipedia and news story from a fan.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: Thank you for the last line in bold. That is typical of Nigerians which you are one of them. I can tell you expect to be given everything on a platter of gold. I expect you to have that in the UK.

However, concerning the land act of Lagos, which I have no idea of and I can not speak on that. There is nowhere in the world where those whose lands have been taking not protesting or lodging complain with the judicial system. Another thing is that the state might be rich but also burden with huge opportunities which might actually be above the income. You seem to just speak in the air the state is rich but not even among the first 5 rich cities of Africa and with well over a population of 15 million. Please, get your homework done before insinuating anything with baseless evidences.

I still, think you are missing something here, that is Fashola is perfect but better, when it comes to what have been achieved so far in relationship with the others who have rule the state for sometime.

Yes, a lot needs to be done. I think he is doing his best and it might not be good enough.

I'm not a 'typical Nigerian', and the last time I checked(judging from the mentality of most of the people on this forum) - my mentality is different and unique.. And nothing has ever been given to me 'on a platter of gold', I worked hard for everything I have achieved in my young life...

You keep alluding to the population of Lagos state vis-a-vis the GDP, but that's my point... My argument is about the those who're actually from Lagos, and they're not up to 20% of the population of the state... What provision is Fashola making for them for taking their ancestral land? Lagos belongs to them - not these new money who are buying up everything...
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by redsun(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2012
centje: i dnt know much about the chieftancy title. But frm the write up, i deduced it demands some level of commitment on the part of the reciever. If its jst the same as the award of excellence(based on what you wrote) then there must be some other reasons why he rejected it. Someone pointed out the oba has some bad records.

You could be right,Fashola may not want to mingle with his kind of politics,or he could have done it on a religious ground,like most most "born again" that rejects anything African tradition. Or he could have done it on a rivalry ground.

That is why i said they all seem confused,most of them think they are doing the people favour for doing their fcking jobs.
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by solomon111(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: Whatever! Whether federal government or not there is no other state in Nigeria witnessing development as Lagos. If that doesn't speak of Fashola deeds to you then you can never see good in anybody work!
when compared to F.G allocation lagos receives,coupled with the tax paid by the large multi-national coys brought to lagos by the F.G,he has done practically nothing.
The fact that he is a little better than the rest of them, does not mean we should settle for less.
There are people far more intelligent and pragmatic than fashola.
I am sick and tired of people deifying mediocrity.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: I asked for list. Not what is being pedal as achievement on Wikipedia and news story from a fan.

Was this also culled from wikipedia?

27 Years After, Lagos Honours Jakande
Jakande who ruled Lagos between 1979 and 1983, is noted as the builder of modern Lagos with various innovative projects which transformed the state from its initial colonial outlook to a modern society. Speaker of Lagos House of Assembly, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, who said it was regrettable that Jakande had been completely forgotten in spite of his meritorious service to humanity, added that the House would not be part of those who ignore Jakande while he lives only to roll out drums after he departs to the world beyond.

Jakande was so honoured and celebrated, having been described as the greatest governor the state ever produced in view of his innumerable achievements which they believed put Lagos as one of the cities to reckon with across the globe. It is against this background that Ikuforiji lamented that beneficiaries of the ongoing democracy has been so engrossed with greed and corruption that they forget to accord honour to whom it is due.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/27-years-after-lagos-honours-jakande/83935/

It seems you're addicted to selective reading, when it comes to opposing point of view... You need to start thinking out-of-the-box, and develop your mind - linear thought process has no place in the modern world..
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

I'm not a 'typical Nigerian', and the last time I checked(judging from the mentality of most of the people on this forum) - my mentality is different and unique.. And nothing has ever been given to me 'on a platter of gold', I worked hard for everything I have achieved in my young life...

You keep alluding to the population of Lagos state vis-a-vis the GDP, but that's my point... My argument is about the those who're actually from Lagos, and they're not up to 20% of the population of the state... What provision is Fashola making for them for taking their ancestral land? Lagos belongs to them - not these new money who are buying up everything...
You never read my previous comment prior to your assertion regarding the indigenous people's case. What have you done to bring this to the attention of the people and the government?
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2012
solomon111: when compared to F.G allocation lagos receives,coupled with the tax paid by the large multi-national coys brought to lagos by the F.G,he has done practically nothing.
The fact that he is a little better than the rest of them, does not mean we should settle for less.
There are people far more intelligent and pragmatic than fashola.
I am sick and tired of people deifying mediocrity.
This is always the problem. Is there anybody saying there are not people who can do better? But, with what has been achieved so far compare with others he has,at least, done something recommendable. PERIOD!

What is your argument though?
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2012
shymexx:

Was this also culled from wikipedia?

It seems you're addicted to selective reading, when it comes to opposing point of view... You need to start thinking out-of-the-box, and develop your mind - linear thought process has no place in the modern world..
Seriously, I need a list. I am not here to defend anybody!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by alienvirus: 2:46pm On Sep 09, 2012
Fashola is the best leader in Nigeria and he is a muslim!
Re: Fashola Declines Oba’s Chieftaincy Title by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2012
all4naija: You never read my previous comment prior to your assertion regarding the indigenous people's case. What have you done to bring this to the attention of the people and the government?

What has he done about all the complaints they have made to him?? Does he look like someone who cares about normal people?

And why are they so keen about the Lekki-Ajah-Epe axis, when the mainland is crying for development? - and that's where most Lagosians live anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent / Cow Ban: IPOB Is Blowing The Trumpet Of War - Northern Coalition / Governor Sanwo-Olu Pays Unannounced Visit To Island Maternity Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.