Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,819 members, 7,828,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ (18935 Views)

South-East Will Get Additional State Before Any Other Zone – Jonathan / General Buhari Did Not Buy A Single Rifle For Military As Head Of State – GEJ / Jonathan Set To proclaim Additional State In South-east. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Bukkyade: 12:44am On Sep 13, 2012
erico2k2: BIG FAT LIE, ONLY THE MILITARY CAN CREATE STATES
. Can you read what you have just put up here, is there any sense in it?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Bukkyade: 12:50am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem: This is a backward step if this step is taken.
I dont believe the story sha. it wont materialised. Not now or in the nearest future.
. I expected this post from you, you are the person thinking backwards here ooo. GEJ carry go jaare.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Naijastomosis(m): 2:19am On Sep 13, 2012
Even before now,various interest groups had campaigned for the new state to be carved out of their own state, even LGAs. The truth is that none of the present states alone can produce an equitable new state.

There is a place somewhere that is central to all the states in the Southeast. This place is somewhere in Okigwe. This town is equidistant to Abia, Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi, and Enugu states. The best and reasonable thing to do is to use Okigwe as the center and stretch out certain kilometres to "catch" communities/towns to make up the new state. This is my unbiased, honest opinion.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 2:46am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem: This is a backward step if this step is taken.
I dont believe the story sha. it wont materialised. Not now or in the nearest future.

While are you wasting your time on this? Some folks like deceiving themselves. I am even shocked to my marrow no one has checked the provisions of the constitution to know if GEJ can truly create a state. Do the maths, SE can only get a state if the North approves no matter what GEJ thinks or wants to do. A president who can not change Unilag name to Maulag wants to create a new state? I dey laugh.

An Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of creating a new State shall only be passed if-

(a) a request, supported by at least two-thirds majority of members (representing the area demanding the creation of the new State) in each of the following, namely -

(i) the Senate and the House of Representatives,

(ii) the House of Assembly in respect of the area, and

(iii) the local government councils in respect of the area,

is received by the National Assembly;

(b) a proposal for the creation of the State is thereafter approved in a referendum by at least two-thirds majority of the people of the area where the demand for creation of the State originated;

(c) the result of the referendum is then approved by a simple majority of all the States of the Federation supported by a simple majority of members of the Houses of Assembly; and

(d) the proposal is approved by a resolution passed by two-thirds majority of members of each House of the National Assembly.

I think the entire South should just focus on abolishing the 1999 constitution. Let's press for SNC and have a rebirth of new Nigeria. SE will not get a new state if 1999 constitution remains the highest law of the land irrespective of whatever lies and propaganda GEJ's sycophantic apologists are dishing out.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by nduchucks: 3:05am On Sep 13, 2012
There are actually 45 requests for the creation of new states on the table of the Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution. Six of these requests may be granted with the first, already announced by the President, located in the SE. We really should be merging states instead of breaking them up, each geopolitical zone should actually become a state IMHO.

These are the requests from South-East; Aba (Abia), Adada (Enugu), Orashi (Imo), Ugwuaku (Imo, Abia, Anambra), Etiti (Imo, Abia, Anambra), Equity (Abia, Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Ebonyi), Njaba (Imo) and Orimili (Anambra, Imo, Delta). Abia, Imo, and Anambra to be broken up.

I believe the new SE state will be Etiti or Ugwuaku state.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Securetek: 3:13am On Sep 13, 2012
Naval sadiq: IS IT BIAFRA OR STATE CREATION WHICH DO YOU GUYZ WANT.REMEMBER A MAN WITH A DOUBLW MIND WILL ALWAYZ BE UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYZ

It does not matter, let the new state come...some of the reasons that makes for Biafra agitation could be addressed if injustices meted out to the Ndi Igbo is checked, secession is just a last option! grin grin
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Securetek: 3:18am On Sep 13, 2012
I think the entire South should just focus on abolishing the 1999 constitution. Let's press for SNC and have a rebirth of new Nigeria. SE will not get a new state if 1999 constitution remains the highest law of the land irrespective of whatever lies and propaganda GEJ's sycophantic apologists are dishing out.[/quote]

Read through the text it says that the decision is hinged on amending the 1999 constitution, if we must practice true federalism then there must be equity and fairness, it only fair to make the south east at par with other geographical zones!!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 5:27am On Sep 13, 2012
Naijastomosis: Even before now,various interest groups had campaigned for the new state to be carved out of their own state, even LGAs. The truth is that none of the present states alone can produce an equitable new state.

There is a place somewhere that is central to all the states in the Southeast. This place is somewhere in Okigwe. This town is equidistant to Abia, Imo, Anambra, Ebonyi, and Enugu states. The best and reasonable thing to do is to use Okigwe as the center and stretch out certain kilometres to "catch" communities/towns to make up the new state. This is my unbiased, honest opinion.

What do you think?

The Igbo should try to incorporate their brothers outside the zone into the South-East instead of dividing the South-East further.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 7:18am On Sep 13, 2012
samkoro:

Let there be equity in the begging so that when the time for scrapping comes,it will be equitably scrapped

even if all states have equal number of states, do they receive the same amount after begging? u tell me if there is any equity there.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 7:19am On Sep 13, 2012
Bukkyade: . I expected this post from you, you are the person thinking backwards here ooo. GEJ carry go jaare.

Did u take time to go through my other posts. did it make sense to u at all.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by SamMilla1(m): 7:20am On Sep 13, 2012
ndu_chucks:
There are actually 45 requests for the creation of new states on the table of the Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution. Six of these requests may be granted with the first, already announced by the President, located in the SE. We really should be merging states instead of breaking them up, each geopolitical zone should actually become a state IMHO.

These are the requests from South-East; Aba (Abia), Adada (Enugu), Orashi (Imo), Ugwuaku (Imo, Abia, Anambra), Etiti (Imo, Abia, Anambra), Equity (Abia, Anambra, Enugu, Imo, Ebonyi), Njaba (Imo) and Orimili (Anambra, Imo, Delta). Abia, Imo, and Anambra to be broken up.

I believe the new SE state will be Etiti or Ugwuaku state.

I think the best is Equity State. I was making a mental study last night and found out that the people of Orumba in Anambra, Umunneochi in Abia, Orlu in orlu and okigwe in Imo, Ishiagu in ebonyi And Old Awgu and Oji division in Enugu have similar culture. They are almost the same people.
I hope that will win the slot.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 7:28am On Sep 13, 2012
bayooooooo:

While are you wasting your time on this? Some folks like deceiving themselves. I am even shocked to my marrow no one has checked the provisions of the constitution to know if GEJ can truly create a state. Do the maths, SE can only get a state if the North approves no matter what GEJ thinks or wants to do. A president who can not change Unilag name to Maulag wants to create a new state? I dey laugh.

I think the entire South should just focus on abolishing the 1999 constitution. Let's press for SNC and have a rebirth of new Nigeria. SE will not get a new state if 1999 constitution remains the highest law of the land irrespective of whatever lies and propaganda GEJ's sycophantic apologists are dishing out.

Thank u so much for ur enlightened post. i earlier said this isnt possible and some fools easily branded me an igbo hater. The earlier they accept these facts the better. lets talk about re-writing the constitution. That one is achievable if we all clamour for it at the same time. After that, create whatever states u would like to. It cant get easier than that.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 8:06am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem:

Thank u so much for ur enlightened post. i earlier said this isnt possible and some fools easily branded me an igbo hater. The earlier they accept these facts the better. lets talk about re-writing the constitution. That one is achievable if we all clamour for it at the same time. After that, create whatever states u would like to. It cant get easier than that.

Impossibility is defeatist. And it is only those who don't think out the box that tout that term these days! How did your hausa master sign up to the Onshore - Offshore derivative principle? How did GEJ, a minority, become President, how was Obj edged out of PDP? Dude, leave these talks of 'impossibility' to thugs and area boys! If there is one thing we all know, it is that, in Nigeria every is possible, it only take time! I won't be shocked if the two states ends up in the SE.

Besides, we SE can get the new state(s) and still get the constitution review achieved for equity. This is Nigeria!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 8:14am On Sep 13, 2012
PointB:

Impossibility is defeatist. And it is only those who don't think out the box that tout that term these days! How did your hausa master sign up to the Onshore - Offshore derivative principle? How did GEJ, a minority, become President, how was Obj edged out of PDP? Dude, leave these talks of 'impossibility' to thugs and area boys! If there is one thing we all know, it is that, in Nigeria every is possible, it only take time! I won't be shocked if the two states ends up in the SE.

Besides, we SE can get the new state(s) and still get the constitution review achieved for equity. This is Nigeria!

I quite agree with u that this is Nigeria where nothing is impossible however on this issue, the probability of it coming to past is extremely very low. I pray it doesnt happen anyay. That simply isnt the way to go.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 8:15am On Sep 13, 2012
Securetek:

Read through the text it says that the decision is hinged on amending the 1999 constitution, if we must practice true federalism then there must be equity and fairness, it only fair to make the south east at par with other geographical zones!!

Brilliant! Kwara, Kogi, and Benue States should be part of the South.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 8:37am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem:

I quite agree with u that this is Nigeria where nothing is impossible however on this issue, the probability of it coming to past is extremely very low. I pray it doesnt happen anyay. That simply isnt the way to go.

Well, I can't understand why you think the North will readily agree to true federalism based on the current geopolitical region. Perhaps you want to educate me on that?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Dainfamous: 8:38am On Sep 13, 2012
Tropilo:

Anioma is part of Delta State which has 25 LGA's. Of this 25 LGA's the area referred to as Anioma has 13 of the 25 LGA's with a population of over 3.5million human inhabitants.
How many LGA's make up Edo State? What about Ebonyi? Not forgetting Kano State that has a "million" LGA's without humans, just land mass, cos besides Kano metropolis, the rest are basically farmsteds. So also Zamfara, Bauchi, Gombe, Katsina, Yobe, Jigawa etc.
Anioma area, has enough reasons to justify its agitation for autonomy, both in human and mineral resources.
Human Resources: Pat Utomi, Ngozi Okonjo Iwuala, Jim Ovia, Tony Elumelu, Nduka Obiagbona etc.
Natural Resources: Crude Oil, Bauxite, kaoline, Gold, Aluminum, Cooper etc.
Agricultural Produce:
Yam, Palm Oil, Cassava, All Cereals etc.
On the lighter side. When put in place it will be the state with the most reasonable name. ANIOMA: meaning: Beautiful, Luxurant land!
so anoima state capital will still be asaba??
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Abenoty: 8:51am On Sep 13, 2012
In the issue of the new state creation,Ndi Igbo should not be sentimental.We should all stand out unanimously and ask for Anioma state.This will eventually boost our figure in the pursuance of the Nigerian projects.Anyother plans against Anioma state could be an act of egocentrism and it will pay us nothing.let's be wise!

1 Like

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Dainfamous: 8:56am On Sep 13, 2012
Donarozzi:

Ika is a group of Igbo people
not igbo' ika are ibos wink
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Donarozzi: 9:04am On Sep 13, 2012
Da infamous: not igbo' ika are ibos wink

It is a childish act and a display of small-mindedness to talk like that. It is also very immoral to think of yourself as original and others as marginal. Everybody is judged individually according to his or her achievements.

3 Likes

Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 13, 2012
FSU:

Please which ethnic group does Ika belong in, and what language do they speak; that is, aside English? Thanks

The language of the Ika people is Ika, a dialect of Igbo with a strong Bini flavour.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 13, 2012
HNosegbe:

The language of the Ika people is Ika, a dialect of Igbo with a strong Bini flavour.
the dude is here again with his ika ideology. Igbo dialet with bini flavour? Trying very hard to create a neo-ethnic group
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 9:14am On Sep 13, 2012
PointB:

Well, I can't understand why you think the North will readily agree to true federalism based on the current geopolitical region. Perhaps you want to educate me on that?

i doubt if true and sincere federalism can ever be achieved under this present structure. This structure needs to be broken down first. If calls for such is being echoed everywhere constantly except the core north, its a matter of time they will crave in without any choice. SNC will therefore be born that will give birth to other good things that u all are clamouring for now. But in a situation where some are clamouring for SNC, some states, some resource control etc (which by the way are all good) none will be acheived at the end of the day. i put it to u that any state being created now will still cause some sort of misgivings even between the igbos themselves. some may be like why not ours not them

U dont urinate sparsely and expect bubbles. U have to direct ur "piss" in a certain point and bubbles will come. We all need to be united and call for SNC. Ur states will come afterwards.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Dainfamous: 9:23am On Sep 13, 2012
Donarozzi:

It is a childish act and a display of small-mindedness to talk like that. It is also very immoral to think of yourself as original and others as marginal. Everybody is judged individually according to his or her achievements.
mr an ika man is here to confirm that they are ibos not igbos,so what is ur problem?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 13, 2012
centje: the dude is here again with his ika ideology. Igbo dialet with bini flavour? Trying very hard to create a neo-ethnic group

Oga wetin na? Can't you see I was answering a question?
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 9:57am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem:

i doubt if true and sincere federalism can ever be achieved under this present structure. This structure needs to be broken down first. If calls for such is being echoed everywhere constantly except the core north, its a matter of time they will crave in without any choice. SNC will therefore be born that will give birth to other good things that u all are clamouring for now. But in a situation where some are clamouring for SNC, some states, some resource control etc (which by the way are all good) none will be acheived at the end of the day. i put it to u that any state being created now will still cause some sort of misgivings even between the igbos themselves. some may be like why not ours not them

U dont urinate sparsely and expect bubbles. U have to direct ur "piss" in a certain point and bubbles will come. We all need to be united and call for SNC. Ur states will come afterwards.

I understand your POV, however, granting an extra state or two to the SE does not in anyway dilute the fact that true federalism is still very much desirable and on the deck! As far as I am concerned, additional state in the SE can even help with the pursuit of the beautiful things we all want! Politics is a game of number, evening the odds are very critical in negotiation. SE has been grossly marginalised in state creation, if correcting this imbalance, is within our reach, we will grab it will our arms, and being! This is Nigeria! As per some people, not being happy about not getting a state, I can assure, it will also be like that for a while. Ask Ijebu people, I am sure they will say so. But like must go own.

On that note, I couldn't care less which part of the SE/SS the new state(s) is/are carved out, provided it is designated SE! Chikena!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Demdem(m): 10:03am On Sep 13, 2012
PointB:

I understand your POV, however, granting an extra state or two to the SE does not in anyway dilute the fact that true federalism is still very much desirable and on the deck! As far as I am concerned, additional state in the SE can even help with the pursuit of the beautiful things we all want! Politics is a game of number, evening the odds are very critical in negotiation. SE has been grossly marginalised in state creation, if correcting this imbalance, is within our reach, we will grab it will our arms, and being! This is Nigeria! As per some people, not being happy about not getting a state, I can assure, it will also be like that for a while. Ask Ijebu people, I am sure they will say so. But like must go own.

On that note, I couldn't care less which part of the SE/SS the new state(s) is/are carved out, provided it is designated SE! Chikena!

well, we do agree to disagree. i still dont think its the right way to go. Seek ye first SNC and all other things will be added to u.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by PointB: 11:12am On Sep 13, 2012
Demdem:

well, we do agree to disagree. i still dont think its the right way to go. Seek ye first SNC and all other things will be added to u.

Sure we can agree to disagree. The best way to go, is lay down your needs, and grab them as they come! Extra state(s), regional government, SNC - we want them all. Let's grab the one within our reach first! This is dynamic Nigeria!
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by FSU: 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2012
HNosegbe:

Thanks, however you answered one-half of the question. The other one-half you did not answer: which ethnic group is Ika? Is there an ethnic group called Ika in Nigeria or do they belong to a larger ethnic group?

Keep in mind there are only 22 thousand Ika people according to available information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ika_language_%28Nigeria%29
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
FSU:

Thanks, however you answered one-half of the question. The other one-half you did not answer: which ethnic group is Ika? Is there an ethnic group called Ika in Nigeria or do they belong to a larger ethnic group?

Keep in mind there are only 22 thousand Ika people according to available information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ika_language_%28Nigeria%29
Did you not see the part where he said "Ika, a dialect of Igbo"
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by Abagworo(m): 3:28pm On Sep 13, 2012
This State creation is complete comedy to me. I wonder why people think division is the best solution to collective challenges. The LGA's should simply be en-powered and development will get to the grass roots.
Re: South-East To Get An Additional State - GEJ by achi4u(m): 3:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
Abagworo: This State creation is complete comedy to me. I wonder why people think division is the best solution to collective challenges. The LGA's should simply be en-powered and development will get to the grass roots.
Go back and read PointB and Demdem post.
cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Omo-Agege Wants Motion Seeking Saraki’s Imprisonment Served Through Media / Femi Fani-Kayode: My Wife Has Banned Me From Discussing Politics At Dining Table / PHOTOS: Shehu Shagari's Body Leaves Abuja For Sokoto

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.