Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1826228 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 7:12am On Nov 03, 2014
ikevin:
thanks for the reply, by the way, do you still have the syllabus for 200L. The course contents, any directions, thanks.
1st Semester
Gross anatomy: Upper limb

Embryology: Chapters 1-8 of Saddlers
Genetics

Histology: Cell and cell cycle
Epithelial tissues
Connective tissues
Muscle tissues
Nervous tissues
Nb-These are the three parts of ANATOMY

Physiology: Cell
Homeostasis
Excitable tissues
Blood
Autonomic nervous system
Skin and temperature regulation

Medical Biochemistry: Enzymes
Carbohydrate chemistry and
metabolism
Lipid chemistry
Amino acid/Protein chemistry
Nucleic acid chemistry
pH and water

INT/Community medicine: Read Textbook of Tropical
medicine by Lucas & Gilles
(no specified area yet)

Nb-COBES will be held during the first semester or the second semester

Good morning

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 7:43am On Nov 03, 2014
ikevin:
thanks for the reply, by the way, do you still have the syllabus for 200L. The course contents, any directions, thanks.
List of Books
ANATOMY
1. Gross anatomy
-Clinically oriented anatomy by Keith Moore et al
-B.D. Chaurasia's Human Anatomy, vol 1,2 & 3
-Clinical Anatomy by Richard S. Snell
-Essentials of Human Anatomy by P.S. Igbigbi, vol 1,
2 & 3
-Last's Anatomy
-Grey's Anatomy
-Exam Oriented Anatomy by Kazi(Above & Below the
diaphragm)
-Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank H. Netter
-Grant's Atlas of Anatomy
-McMinn's Clinical Atlas of Human Anatomy

2. Embryology
-Human Embryology by Inderbirsingh
-Langman's medical embryology by T.W. Saddlers
-The developing human by Moore Persuad

3. Histology
-Basic Histology, Text & Atlas by Junqueira Carneiro
-Wheater's functional histology
-Textbook of Human histology with colour Atlas by
Inderbirsingh
-diFore's Atlas of Histology with functional
correlation

PHYSIOLOGY
-Ganong's review of medical physiology
-Essentials of medical physiology by Sembullingam
-Textbook of medical physiology by Guyton and Hall
-Textbook of physiology by Gabriel Ezeilo

MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY
-Harper's illustrated biochemistry
-Textbook of medical biochemistry by Chatterjea
-Textbook of biochemistry for medical students by
Vasudevan
-Biochemistry, Lippincott illustrated reviews

INT/Community medicine
-Textbook of tropical medicine by Lucas and Gilles

NB-*It's advisable you stick to one textbook in each
category
*An Atlas for gross anatomy is essential

Have a lovely day

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:46am On Nov 03, 2014
DrAmanda:

1st Semester
Gross anatomy: Upper limb

Embryology: Chapters 1-8 of Saddlers
Genetics

Histology: Cell and cell cycle
Epithelial tissues
Connective tissues
Muscle tissues
Nervous tissues
Nb-These are the three parts of ANATOMY

Physiology: Cell
Homeostasis
Excitable tissues
Blood
Autonomic nervous system
Skin and temperature regulation

Medical Biochemistry: Enzymes
Carbohydrate chemistry and
metabolism
Lipid chemistry
Amino acid/Protein chemistry
Nucleic acid chemistry
pH and water

INT/Community medicine: Read Textbook of Tropical
medicine by Lucas & Gilles
(no specified area yet)

Nb-COBES will be held during the first semester or the second semester

Good morning
thanks once again for the reply. Mehn!!!! I only have e-books on physiology and a lot of BCH. Nothing on any of d three anatomy textbooks n d community medicine. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ have e-books on them? I have tried downloading d rest, not yet successful. Can you help me out? Do you have e-books on anatomy especially d atlas you just recommended, also the community medicine e-book. Hopefully when I get to ABK, I could get them from you via my flash. I would be most grateful @DrAmanda.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAmanda(f): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2014
ikevin:
thanks once again for the reply. Mehn!!!! I only have e-books on physiology and a lot of BCH. Nothing on any of d three anatomy textbooks n d community medicine. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ have e-books on them? I have tried downloading d rest, not yet successful. Can you help me out?

You're welcome. About the ebooks, I'm just like u. I have just ebooks on physiology and MBC. The others, I have hard copies of them. Dunno how/where to get their soft copies. Well, if I find a link or something, I'll inform you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:55am On Nov 03, 2014
DrAmanda:

You're welcome. About the ebooks, I'm just like u. I have just ebooks on physiology and MBC. The others, I have hard copies of them. Dunno how/where to get their soft copies. Well, if I find a link or something, I'll inform you
alright, thanks a lot. I guess I have disturbed you a lot this morning. I would do my best to download the anatomy and community medicine e-books.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 7:58am On Nov 03, 2014
DrAmanda:

Thank you
good day everyone in the house, has anyone been able to successfully download any e-books from the links provided by Lomaxx, I have tried to no avail. If yes, do mind helping me out, I really need it. I would soon resume at delsu. Thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 9:15am On Nov 03, 2014
ikevin:
good day everyone in the house, has anyone been able to successfully download any e-books from the links provided by Lomaxx, I have tried to no avail. If yes, do mind helping me out, I really need it. I would soon resume at delsu. Thanks.

What app are you using to download?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 10:00am On Nov 03, 2014
U guys should help ur boy win a medical writing contest o..Abeg o..
Jux like my article on the Facebook page below..
When the page opens, scroll down and click on show more- A new page opens to show more posts..
My article is about the forth article there... The title is "An Open Letter to All Medical School Aspirants: What you Need to Know about the Path of Medicine"..
Like the article on fb and then go on to read it..
Thanks a lot..
This is d link to d fb page.. https://m.facebook.com/jpmsonline?v=timeline&page=1&sectionLoadingID=m_timeline_loading_div_1417420799_0_36_1&timeend=1417420799&timestart=0&tm=AQAbSOqqYnu1t1dE&refid=17
The name of d contest is d JPMS online writing contest..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 10:04am On Nov 03, 2014
MODIFIED
I wrote another article which has also been accepted.. Its title is "Deleterious Effects of Mobile Phone Radiation"..This one has not been posted on fb yet...But u can still read,like, share,email and tweet it also by clicking this link.
http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/2014/11/02/the-deletrious-effects-of-mobile-phone-radiations/
Thanks a lot
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bitex2(m): 11:09am On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:
For those who asked, I have scavenged the download links for the preclinical textbooks I recommended. Happy downloading. This is Medicine Made Easy grin

Anatomy

1) BRS Embryology

http://www.neuronarc.com/brs-embryology-board-review-series-5th-edition-pdf.html

2) BRS Histology(34MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/L_MOkl-Pba/brs_cell_biology_and_histology.html

3) Snell Clinical Anatomy By Regions(92MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/oBO4Yq1v/Snells_Clinical_Anatomy_by_Reg.htm?locale=en

Physiology

1) Fox Physiology (201MB)

http://www.4shared.com/zip/gM_lVpVt/fox_human_physiology_8th_editi.htm?locale=en

2) NMS Physiology (22MB)

http://www.4shared.com/office/U7L6KV6d/NMS_Physiology.htm?locale=en

Biochemistry

1) M N Charteajea Textbook Of Medical Biochemistry(21MB)

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/mn-chatterjea-textbook-of-medical.html?m=1

2) D M Vasudevan Textbook of Medical Biochemistry

http://indianmedicalebooks..com/2013/07/dm-vasudevan-textbook-of-biochemistry.html?m=1
pls Sir,are the books good in building concepts and can one make DISTINCTIONS in those 3 courses using the afore-mentioned books?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:20am On Nov 03, 2014
bitex2:

pls Sir,are the books good in building concepts and can one make DISTINCTIONS in those 3 courses using the afore-mentioned books?

An emphatic yes!!!!

But please: my books are just recommendations. Feel free to use what you believe is best for you.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 11:28am On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:

I am using mozilla firefoz on my system, I have UC browser on my fone, I would try that now.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 11:37am On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:

is it in rar format?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
Any radiography student in here.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
Eh... laryom, i can see u r confused on d best book to use for anatomy.. ehh.. na unilorin u dey faa..not ui or oau or wahever oo... i ll advice u just focus on ur premed first. I knw y i am saying so oo..
All d anxiety no fit do am oo.. jst face premed, destroy it n every other thing will follow. Unilorin can be so funny...hmmm... u will understand soon sha. When u see people who had 6As in waec or 280 in jamb dropping in 100lvl. Or maybe when almost 50% of d class drop in 100lvl. Dats y i said dis place is not U.I or Ife ooo..
In ife.. they repeat 100lvl...nfn like repeat for here o..
Btw..how things..hope u v bn moving d stuffs?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 03, 2014
Medics.. pls i need ur opinion on dis kwstns(as fast as possible)

1.) A 18_yrs old boy was rushed to the emergency section of University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital(UiTH) on account of Purposeless Painful Persistant Penal Ere.ction.
a. What is your diagnosis?
b. Write a note on d genetic basis of this condition.

2.) A 4-yr old boy was brought to the hospital due to persistant swelling of the hands and feet.
a. What is your diagnosis
b. Drscribe d genetic basis of the condition.
c. What advice would you give to his parents.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
Write a short and brief note on d structural basis of asthma.( D question was given in histology class).

Please medics.. All d questions r assignments i have to submit by 7:45am tomorrow. I need ur opinions.

#lomaxx ebsuguy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
I mentioned earlier about two of my articles that were accepted for a contest. Please u can now read, share, like, tweet and email (the like, share, tweet and email buttons are on the top of d article pages jux after d title of d articles ) the articles directly from d link below without going through d Facebook pages...Once more, these are d articles..
http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/2014/11/02/the-deleterious-effects-of-mobile-phone-radiations/

http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/2014/11/02/an-open-letter-to-all-medical-school-aspirants-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-path-of-medicine/
Ur vote counts.
Thanks a lot for ur understanding..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:05pm On Nov 03, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:

MODIFIED
I wrote another article which has also been accepted.. Its title is "Deleterious Effects of Mobile Phone Radiation"..This one has not been posted on fb yet...But u can still read, like, email, share and tweet it also by clicking this link.
http://blogs.jpmsonline.com/2014/11/02/the-deletrious-effects-of-mobile-phone-radiations/
Thanks a lot
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 03, 2014
DrHesjay:

1.) A 18_yrs old boy was rushed to the emergency section of University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital(UiTH) on account of Purposeless Painful Persistant Penal Ere.ction.

2.) A 4-yr old boy was brought to the hospital due to persistant swelling of the hands and feet.

take it to health dey will help
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
DrHesjay:

1: a) sickle cell disease
b) mutation substituting GTG for GAG in 6th codon of beta chain leading to valine substituting glutamate in position 6 of Hb beta chain.

2) a) Dactylitis in Sickle cell disease
b) same as above
c) genetic counseling(check the books for details), proper hydration, avoiding precipitants etc (more in the books)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:34pm On Nov 03, 2014
DrHesjay:
Write a short and brief note on d structural basis of asthma.( D question was given in histology class).

Please medics.. All d questions r assignments i have to submit by 7:45am tomorrow. I need ur opinions.

#lomaxx ebsuguy

You would start by defining what asthma is( chronic inflammatory condition of airway resulting in reversible airway obstruction on exposure to an inciting stimuli)

Then go on to say that the airway/lungs is organized into bronchi->terminal bronchioles-> respiratory bronchioles->alveolar duct->alv sac(acinus) as intro.

Then go ahead to mention that the airway structure comprises of

1) mucosa(comprising of specialized epithelial cells that secrete mucus). In asthma, airway inflammation leads to hyper secretion of mucus and this leads to the airway obstruction in asthma.

With time the mucosal epithelium detaches and coalesces with the mucus to form mucus plugs which narrow the airway.

2) bronchiolar smooth muscle which constricts to narrow the lumen further due to stimulation from inflammatory mediators secreted during an asthma episode. With time, the smooth muscle hypertrophy to further worsen the damage.

3) basement membrane which thickens also contributing to airway narrowing.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
lomaxx:

1: a) sickle cell disease
b) mutation substituting GTG for GAG in 6th codon of beta chain leading to valine substituting glutamate in position 6 of Hb beta chain.

2) a) Dactylitis in Sickle cell disease
b) same as above
c) genetic counseling(check the books for details), proper hydration, avoiding precipitants etc (more in the books)

I didn't see that coming embarassed
Actually, I never knew sickle cell patients suffer from priapism

Modified:
Now that I checked, I see it's true, but there are other conditions associated with priapism too. The history is quite scanty, what makes you think it's sickle cell, and not G6PD deficiency

And for the dactylitis, isn't dactylitis inflammation of digits? -toes and fingers?
Actually, the word 'swelling' makes peripheral edema to pop into my head at first glance
I find the history quite scanty, but then-sometimes I shy away from these questions cos the pattern is totally different from what I'm used to sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Innoxxacs: 12:13am On Nov 04, 2014
lomaxx:

Start by removing the distractions - then study. Never study with the hope of containing distractions. It mostly never works. Even if it does- its not perfect.

I'm not a fan of studying for long grueling hours. It's not important. What is important is your goal of studying, having the right materials, and making sure you attain your study goal per time.

A man can decide to put 2 bags of rice on a wheelbarrow and push it from point A to point B. To everyone, he has worked hard. To him, he is working hard. You can see the sweat on his skin and his bulgy muscles attesting to the 2 bags of rice weight.

Another man can decide to put 2 bags of rice in van- to move from point A to point B. Well, this doesn't matter much to anyone. Nobody sees him. Nobody hears him. He doesn't work so much as MR Truckpusher. But he did what Mr Truckpusher did- moving two bags of rice from point A to point B.

Granted-to succeed, you would have to invest hardwork. But sadly, the most important thing is not the amount of work you do, but the amount of goals you attain per time.

I am not saying studying for long hours isn't good. My point is- no matter how long you study for ( 2 hours or 20 hours) place more emphasis on what you're achieving with that time instead of using the length of time as a measure of effective study. At the end of the day, when you're asked to write on the brachial plexus, nobody would ask the number of hours you studied. You'd be expected to produce what you should know.

This doesn't mean it's easier.

Long term memory depends a whole lot on repetitive studying. If my physiology doesn't fail me, there are two types of memories: short term and long term. When you're studying a concept for the first time, that information is stored as short term memory. Within a short while, you'd forget. To remember over a long period of time, you need to transfer this information from the short term to long term memory centers. This can only happen by repetitive studying- a term fondly called "potentiation" (look up physiology of long term memory and potentiation for more details)

Which is why I always advise that one studies :

1) Before a lecture
2) Pay attention during the lecture
3) Study what was taught immediately after the lecture. This gives you a chance to add more details if you want a distinction.
4) Revise at another time
5) Maybe one more time for folks that want distinctions.

To me that's all you need.

The other BCH-Medicine thing is a very personal affair. If you've wanted to study medicine all your life, on no account should you back down. At least, give it your best shot. If it works out, well and good- if not, at least you gave it a good try.

Don't spend too much time thinking of making the right decision. Make the decision - then stick to it
u are blessed God bless still on it

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Abasstoheeb(m): 1:09am On Nov 04, 2014
DrHesjay:
Eh... laryom, i can see u r confused on d best book to use for anatomy.. ehh.. na unilorin u dey faa..not ui or oau or wahever oo... i ll advice u just focus on ur premed first. I knw y i am saying so oo..
All d anxiety no fit do am oo.. jst face premed, destroy it n every other thing will follow. Unilorin can be so funny...hmmm... u will understand soon sha. When u see people who had 6As in waec or 280 in jamb dropping in 100lvl. Or maybe when almost 50% of d class drop in 100lvl. Dats y i said dis place is not U.I or Ife ooo..
In ife.. they repeat 100lvl...nfn like repeat for here o..
Btw..how things..hope u v bn moving d stuffs?
Dr hesjay tnx 4 all ways u ve been helpin us on one way or d oder
Hpe u re nw @oke oyi ?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by johnikwoyi: 5:12am On Nov 04, 2014
Applying for mbbs in bsu 2015/2016
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2014
alutacontinua:

Modified:
Now that I checked, I see it's true, but there are other conditions associated with priapism too. The history is quite scanty, what makes you think it's sickle cell, and not G6PD deficiency

And for the dactylitis, isn't dactylitis inflammation of digits? -toes and fingers?
Actually, the word 'swelling' makes peripheral edema to pop into my head at first glance
I find the history quite scanty, but then-sometimes I shy away from these questions cos the pattern is totally different from what I'm used to sad
d question by no doubt has scanty history of d patient but then i think He gave d question expecting us to answer it in our own knowlege of genetics... We r just 5weeks into preclinicals, maybe he presumed that we cannot know d other causes..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2014
alutacontinua:

Modified:

I must admit, the history is very scanty.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 04, 2014
Thanks much Sir lomaxx... !
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:50am On Nov 04, 2014
Abasstoheeb:

Dr hesjay tnx 4 all ways u ve been helpin us on one way or d oder
Hpe u re nw @oke oyi ?
Yes boss... for over a mnth o.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 04, 2014
Alutacontinua I neva knw yu r a med student. O whr do yu school

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.