Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,440 members, 7,830,206 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (368) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1843356 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 4:23pm On May 23, 2016
Ksudr:

you don't mean it? hmmm
am unical aspirant ooooo.
it's painful I can't change again.....

tell me more about uunical medical school.
teaching hospital and the rest....

Actually am ksu 300l medical student..... but due to accreditation issues. I decided to apply unical
Haba ni, just cos of what ai said? No o... Where are you from first of all? Unical medicine is not that competitive there. If your average score is up to 270, you're in. And if you're from Cross River State better for you, as they're very tribalistic. In your year two and three, you'll love the anatomy and physiology lecturers. They are there to help you. But the biochemistry lecturers are there to make sure you fail lol. Heartless set of lecturers were employed there lol. However, ai don't know much about the teaching hospital, I'm only dwelling based on what my supervisor said when ai asked her if she advice ai go back to Unical for medicine. (due to the fact that she did her house job there and later started lecturing there).
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charliejose: 5:53pm On May 23, 2016
Hello house!..its been ages I posted on this thread..but i've been following deligently..i'm a bit confused bout somethings .but let me start.from.somewhere...
I'm a 300 pharmacology student at unilag,will be graduating next year by God's grace..although im still very much interesting in studying medicine....here are my plans tho..
Firstly; im.thinking of applying tru.direct.entry back into unilag,meaning I will be taking a direct entry form next year...but my problem is i'm really not sure if my transcript will out during next year's application...nd direct entry into Unilag is highly competitive nd d quota of admission is very low...
Secondly; i'm thinking of getting a MCAT form ..but I dont ve a profound knowledge about this exam and also scholarship oppoturnities for international medical students in the states...i will so much love it if dis plan works out tho
Lastly;i'm thinking of getting a jamb form next year..well this plan tends to be the easiest and most feasible way of getting into medical schl..but the number of years involved cannot be ignored...even some friends advised I continue in my current field of study till the paramount level than having to start all over again...but medicine is my dream and I will never feel whole if I don't achieve it.......please house,kindly help and advise me..thanks.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yakflowz(m): 6:24pm On May 23, 2016
Hello house, Please can two sittings be used to study medicine?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 6:26pm On May 23, 2016
jemmiee:
My dear, ai hope the new curriculum will reflect that.
is it the seven years policy? I don't think mdcn accepted that oh! But anyway, Let's wait and see first
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 6:30pm On May 23, 2016
Gbsks:
is it the seven years policy? I don't think mdcn accepted that oh! But anyway, Let's wait and see first
Looool Nigeria! Will you ever move forward?? Lol... Tell me something Gbsks! Lol oh! So mdcn still have to approve, and they have given out circulars and new Bmas and put high BP in some aspirants. Lol Nigeria, change ooo.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 6:46pm On May 23, 2016
yakflowz:
Hello house, Please can two sittings be used to study medicine?
yeah! it can... buh abt 11(I'm sure of) universities out of 27 do not allow
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 23, 2016
jemmiee:
Looool Nigeria! Will you ever move forward?? Lol... Tell me something Gbsks! Lol oh! So mdcn still have to approve, and they have given out circulars and new Bmas and put high BP in some aspirants. Lol Nigeria, change ooo.
We can only know if they(MDCN) truly accepted the new policy when this(2016/2017) admission is released
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mickael2(m): 7:17pm On May 23, 2016
I don't want to say much since I don't know much about this system of education right now, but I felt like I needed to say something.

Someone said along the line that she/he was admitted into MCB if I'm correct, but he/she wants to reject and apply for medicine through Jamb the next year, that is crazy! I don't know how it's done in other schools but in Unizik where I just graduated from, you can change from any course to Medicine, heck the best graduating student from my set was actually admitted into Botany in his first year, he got 5.0 in his first year and sharply switched to Medicine and he is a doctor right now. I just decided that I had to say this because I noticed that the admission process for some schools have all commenced and some new kids will be admitted into some courses that they don't like, here is my advice(s):

1) If it's a not-so-lucrative course like the botant i mentioned, please just resit for Jamb, first of all, these small small science courses are maths inclined and very hard(Just compare anatomy and biochem you go see am), and the chances of you being able to change is slim, in fact, very slim, except if you are quite intelligent which isn't always the only criteria, you need luck too, and you can't decide to finish up the Botany, that would just be a factual waste of time.

2) If it's a health related course then by all means grab it(except maybe Anatomy, that one....). Because like i said earlier, I believe you can switch courses after your first year and even if you were not able to switch you are still in safe hands, Physiotherapists earn an average of 120k per month during their internship, Medical lab attendants-120-130k, Radiographers- 140k or so, so if you do manage to get any of these 3 courses together with Nursing and pharmacy(physiology? Hmmmmm, maybe too) then grab it please, switch course if you can but if you cant continue, 5 years later you will not regret a single year of your life.

That's just my candid advice really, please I would like to know if other schools actually do have the option of changing courses after their first year if you have a favourable CGPA so that I won't be so conclusive next time, I took an oath to save lifes as a doctor, so I'm just doing my job....saving people's future careers!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ksudr(m): 7:51pm On May 23, 2016
[quote author=jemmiee post=45898739] Haba ni, just cos of what ai said? No o... Where are you from first of all? Unical medicine is not that competitive there. If your average score is up to 270, you're in. And if you're from Cross River State better for you, as they're very tribalistic. In your year two and three, you'll love the anatomy and physiology lecturers. They are there to help you. But the biochemistry lecturers are there to make sure you fail lol. Heartless set of lecturers were employed there lol. However, ai don't know much about the teaching hospital, I'm only dwelling based on what my supervisor said when ai asked her if she advice ai go back to Unical for medicine. (due to the fact that she did her house job there and later started lecturing there). [/quote
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Superjaytop(m): 9:50pm On May 23, 2016
Greetinz 2 d docs in d aus,pls am a 100LV physiology student in OOU,bt I intend 2 apply 4 DE in2 medicine afta my 1st degree.(1) Wot level am I goin 2 start frm if I am admitted 4 medicine.
(2)iz it possible 2 apply 4 both Jamb nd DE in d same year.Thnks in anticipation.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mickael2(m): 10:37pm On May 23, 2016
Superjaytop:
Greetinz 2 d docs in d aus,pls am a 100LV physiology student in OOU,bt I intend 2 apply 4 DE in2 medicine afta my 1st degree.(1) Wot level am I goin 2 start frm if I am admitted 4 medicine.
(2)iz it possible 2 apply 4 both Jamb nd DE in d same year.Thnks in anticipation.

Isn't it possible for you to just change to Medicine after your 100 lvl? Or is it not done like that in OOU? That seems better, just obtain a substantial CGPA and you should be good to go.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 23, 2016
Mickael2:

Isn't it possible for you to just change to Medicine after your 100 lvl? Or is it not done like that in OOU? That seems better, just obtain a substantial CGPA and you should be good to go.
not possible in OOU..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 1:42am On May 24, 2016
charliejose:
Hello house!..its been ages I posted on this thread..but i've been following deligently..i'm a bit confused bout somethings .but let me start.from.somewhere...
I'm a 300 pharmacology student at unilag,will be graduating next year by God's grace..although im still very much interesting in studying medicine....here are my plans tho..
Firstly; im.thinking of applying tru.direct.entry back into unilag,meaning I will be taking a direct entry form next year...but my problem is i'm really not sure if my transcript will out during next year's application...nd direct entry into Unilag is highly competitive nd d quota of admission is very low...
Secondly; i'm thinking of getting a MCAT form ..but I dont ve a profound knowledge about this exam and also scholarship oppoturnities for international medical students in the states...i will so much love it if dis plan works out tho
Lastly;i'm thinking of getting a jamb form next year..well this plan tends to be the easiest and most feasible way of getting into medical schl..but the number of years involved cannot be ignored...even some friends advised I continue in my current field of study till the paramount level than having to start all over again...but medicine is my dream and I will never feel whole if I don't achieve it.......please house,kindly help and advise me..thanks.
I feel if medicine is your dream, chase it, try every means (legal) possible, both DE to your school or other schools, for you to consider MCATS you should be loaded, you can also try Caribbeans, Ukraine, Philippines, China etc and or Jamb. As for MCAT to the best of my knowledge, I feel you would need some time to prepare for the exams, so you would need to be there to attend some premed catch up classe. I am not too knowledgeable on it, check American Association of medical students website you should see something helpful there.
Best of Luck, see you on the other side

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 6:53pm On May 24, 2016
Shekstatari:
We can only know if they(MDCN) truly accepted the new policy when this(2016/2017) admission is released
Okay
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 7:00pm On May 24, 2016
Ksudr:

Thanks for your reply
Actually am from kogi state.... 1of the Elds in Nigeria.
got 250 in jamb 2016.
I hope ai m admitted ooo

for the biochem stuff, it's like that most places ooo
even in my school KSU ANYIGBA
Nice jamb score for Unical. Just ace 300+ in post ume and you're in. The competition is not that much, and considering you're from one of the ELDS, you're good to go. Just prepare wella. The Post ume usually have maths, English, computer, physics, chemistry and biology. 30mins exam (about 20 questions or so), I'm sure you know that already. Except they decide to change format.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 7:03pm On May 24, 2016
Superjaytop:
1). Right now, a DE student starts from year 2 and undergoes five year training. But there is a new curriculum, if mdcn accepts, DE students will start from year 4 and undergo four year training.
2). Yes, it's possible to apply through both. That's what I'm doing.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 7:06pm On May 24, 2016
Mickael2:

Some schools don't accept o... In Unical who go even answer you? Lol even if you have five points.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 24, 2016
jemmiee:
1). Right now, a DE student starts from year 2 and undergoes five year training. But there is a new curriculum, if mdcn accepts, DE students will start from year 4 and undergo four year training.
Undergo 3years training you mean.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 9:57pm On May 24, 2016
jemmiee:
As to number one, that clause applies to those who have bSc in basic med science, we Zoologists would have to start from year two and use 6 years
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 3:55am On May 25, 2016
Shekstatari:
Undergo 3years training you mean.
No o... Four. According to the new Bmas, medicine is now seven years. That is if mdcn accepts. Browse about it, check the nta news on YouTube
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 3:56am On May 25, 2016
Millex:

As to number one, that clause applies to those who have bSc in basic med science, we Zoologists would have to start from year two and use 6 years
lol oops.. That's true
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Bush2013: 8:20am On May 25, 2016
[quote author=jemmiee post=45942938] lol oops.. That's true[/quote please stop bothering you self about it . Mdcn will never accept it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by abiodun27(f): 2:46pm On May 25, 2016
Hy greatest medics,
1) Pls wat are d chances of one with second class upper getting into unilag mls through direct entry
with a bsc. micro biology?

2. What are the courses included in the basic medical science, is micro biology one of it?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 25, 2016
good evening house.
please, how do i prepare for scholarship exams ?
plus if you have materials that are helpful please recommend them especially for those organized by WAEC.
Total just broke my heart, it's not like they slyed me i believe i wasn't ready.
cc: lomaxx , ambfitsaint ,oluafolabi , sagaciousblog and other silent dons
ejo e help mi.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 8:31pm On May 25, 2016
[quote author=Bush2013 post=45946800][/quote] Amen
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 11:44pm On May 25, 2016
SweetieConstie:

Hello Gideon!grin

Where have you been?cheesy
Laughs.. ...been in our own Nigeria! how is you doing ma?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:36am On May 26, 2016
I'm from Enugu...Got 282 in jamb... A die hard ABU aspirant for med and sug. gr8 medics in this thread, hw good am I to go? Am 20yrs old currently in 200level studying chemistry(BSC) in a federal university.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:48am On May 26, 2016
xlow:
I'm from Enugu...Got 282 in jamb... A die hard ABU aspirant for med and sug. gr8 medics in this thread, hw good am I to go? Am 20yrs old currently in 200level studying chemistry(BSC) in a federal university.

Please I need advice. Since am from a non catchment area.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 3:57am On May 26, 2016
xlow:

You really tried o. just wait for the post utme,score 300+ and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SweetieConstie(f): 8:22am On May 26, 2016
GideonOmach:

Laughs.. ...been in our own Nigeria! how is you doing ma?
Lol... Very fine sir, and you?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by abiodun27(f): 9:28am On May 26, 2016
abiodun27:
Hy greatest medics,
1) Pls wat are d chances of one with second class upper getting into unilag mls through direct entry
with a bsc. micro biology?

2. What are the courses included in the basic medical science, is micro biology one of it?

Can someone pls hlp wth dis?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charliejose: 9:47am On May 26, 2016
xlow:

if u can read hard to attain such score in present time jamb,i wonder wat ABU will throw to u that u wouldnt resist...just keep up the good work of reading..

(1) (2) (3) ... (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.