Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,935 members, 7,838,338 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (366) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1848500 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 8:26am On May 21, 2016
Dbrainiac1:

Don't say things you aren't sure of. Having a first degree doesn't guarantee that 1st and second mb will be a walkover for u. I've seen cases where degree holders with 2.1 didn't even make it past first mb. Be sensitive about the info you give out. Thanks.
. A graduate of anatomy cannot pass anatomy MB? After effective reading? that's shocking though. Ad love to know WHY? Cos its not normal.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 8:52am On May 21, 2016
dearpiriye:
I don't think she even gets herself. What we were told is that those who come with this particular impression of her's are the ones who don't make it because they feel they already know what is being taught. I didn't want to be the 1st to call her out. Thank God others did. Pls we don't need sentiments when giving advice and try to get your facts right.
. For the records, I'm not talking based on assumptions, ai graduated from unical. In Unical, the anatomy and physiology students do attend lectures with Medicine students. Ai had a lot of friends who were studying medicine. Some where graduates. Amongst them, graduates of anatomy passed the first and second MB gracefully and with distinctions (they were hardworking people) (in Unical, physiology, anatomy and Medicine students used to offer same courses in year one, two and three). Now here's my point, ai won't say they just sat back and folded their arms and assumed they knew it, hell no! my point is that, assimilation will be easier, since they are stuffs they've learnt before. They will find it easier to read, understand, and give back to the lecturers what they want. Like me now, in my year two, ai used to write stories, for example if I'm asked in exam to write on the anatomy of the mammary gland, ai will write and fill two pages of my answer scripts(ai hated diagrams).. at the end, al see a C. Ai got so devastated and ai had to meet my lecturers to explain for me. Twas then ai realised that when asked questions in anatomy, don't beat about the bush, go straight to the point, use headings (e.g. Introduction, diagram, blood supply, venous drainage, innervation, lymphatic drainage, applied anatomy). when asked in histology, state only what you will see under the microscope, adding a note on its functions, with appropriate diagrams, when asked in embryology, state only how it was made or formed, the different stages, is it from ectoderm, mesenchyme or endoderm? with appropriate diagrams and applied anatomy. You know when ai discovered that, my A's started flowing in, though ai got the info late. Now, tell me if ai will make same mistake if I'm given a second chance to do a B.Sc again, no! So for me, (ai don't know about the 2.1 graduates of anatomy you were talking about) When ai get admission to do this medicine, ai will use my experience, coupled with determination, desire and make sure ai don't repeat same mistakes ai made in my first degree. Ai will correct all the mistakes, disappointments and guilt.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 8:54am On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
. A graduate of anatomy cannot pass anatomy MB? After effective reading? that's shocking though. Ad love to know WHY? Cos its not normal.
From first & second mb now it's anatomy mb ko? Remember there's physiology and biochemistry... such graduates are here in our class, failed the exam, either resitted or repeated and it's not that they weren't brilliant. They just thought first mb would be easy for them because they have a first degree, I repeat having a first degree doesn't guarantee you passing 1st n 2nd mb.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:34am On May 21, 2016
Dbrainiac1:
From first & second mb now it's anatomy mb ko? Remember there's physiology and biochemistry... such graduates are here in our class, failed the exam, either resitted or repeated and it's not that they weren't brilliant. They just thought first mb would be easy for them because they have a first degree, I repeat having a first degree doesn't guarantee you passing 1st n 2nd mb.
Tis OK. Thanks for the correction. But you don't still get my point doh. Don't bother, ai don't argue.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 9:40am On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
. I stand to be corrected. Though it will be very surprising if a graduate of anatomy fails second MB after detailed preparations.
I get what you are saying, but I think it's more of an assumption than a fact. From experience i have noticed that graduates (direct entry guys) deviate greatly from expected level of performance. It's actually easy to acertain this, because they thread behind everyone on the results sheet, having different matric numbers from other students. So one can easily check from the matric number one year lesser than his, to the last person on the list. That gives you the statistics of the DE geeks. The direct entry guys are mostly graduates the majored in one of the 3 BMS courses. But it's shockingly amazing, that when the in courses or even the main exams results are released, they end up performing poorly, even in the courses they majored. The reason for this, is yet to be ascertained and I think it's an interesting area of research. But what i just told you is no gossip neither an assumption, and it's currently happening in many schools including my school. But remember, i used the word"mostly"meaning that there few exceptions. But from records available to me, I'm yet to see or hear about any DE guy gunning a distinction even in the course he majored. Good morning and have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 10:15am On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
Tis OK. Thanks for the correction. But you don't still get my point doh. Don't bother, ai don't argue.
I get your point. It is you that just got my point.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davbravo(m): 10:22am On May 21, 2016
charleymed:
I get what you are saying, but I think it's more of an assumption than a fact. From experience i have noticed that graduates (direct entry guys) deviate greatly from expected level of performance. It's actually easy to acertain this, because they thread behind everyone on the results sheet, having different matric numbers from other students. So one can easily check from the matric number one year lesser than his, to the last person on the list. That gives you the statistics of the DE geeks. The direct entry guys are mostly graduates the majored in one of the 3 BMS courses. But it's shockingly amazing, that when the in courses or even the main exams results are released, they end up performing poorly, even in the courses they majored. The reason for this, is yet to be ascertained and I think it's an interesting area of research. But what i just told you is no gossip neither an assumption, and it's currently happening in many schools including my school. But remember, i used the word"mostly"meaning that there few exceptions. But from records available to me, I'm yet to see or hear about any DE guy gunning a distinction even in the course he majored. Good morning and have a nice day.
it only applies to DE students that entered with a 1st degree n not those that entered with A'level and its equivalent
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 10:29am On May 21, 2016
charleymed:
. wow wow thanks. That's very interesting ai must say, well, I'm very much interested in research using questionnaires, ai will look into this issue, because it have been a thing of concern to me. Though the reverse is the case in Unical medical school.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 10:39am On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
. wow wow thanks. That's very interesting ai must say, well, I'm very much interested in research using questionnaires, ai will look into this issue, because it have been a thing of concern to me. Though the reverse is the case in Unical medical school.
Nice. I wish you good luck on that.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2016
davbravo:
it only applies to DE students that entered with a 1st degree n not those that entered with A'level and its equivalent
I cannot really say, because there is no easier way to differentiate the two groups, unless if you know them individually and you follow their academic performances. But speaking from experience, i noticed that the A levels guys do better, I know some of them personally. But I don't believe this subject of discourse has anything to do with IQ, but i think there are factors militating against the performances of the the degree holders. These include:Age, level of distractions (some are married while others are independent) and the ' I have done it before syndrome' etc.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 11:19am On May 21, 2016
Dbrainiac1:
I get your point. It is you that just got my point.
. lool.. you should've read law. Oh oga. hahaha... u worry.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 11:25am On May 21, 2016
charleymed:
I cannot really say, because there is no easier way to differentiate the two groups, unless if you know them individually and you follow their academic performances. But speaking from experience, i noticed that the A levels guys do better, I know some of them personally. But I don't believe this subject of discourse has anything to do with IQ, but i think there are factors militating against the performances of the the degree holders. These include:Age, level of distractions (some are married while others are independent) and the ' I have done it before syndrome' etc.
lol especially marriage, its a huge distraction lol. Ah feel for myself.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:54am On May 21, 2016
Oyah unna well-done finished cutting person heart. Nothing dey happen God dey sha cause my own case will be different. On the issue of 1st degree DE doing badly as correctly said, the problem is usually distractions. Then again, the work one puts into his/her studies is what masters, it's better to go in with the mindset of "I know nothing", and put in effort to knowing. Studying, asking for explanations when stuck, etc. Not like it's easy but it's doable, it's all personal choice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 11:59am On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
lol especially marriage, its a huge distraction lol. Ah feel for myself.
Lol. I feel your pains. Kpele. I believe everything will turn out fine for you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 12:31pm On May 21, 2016
Millex:
Oyah unna well-done finished cutting person heart. Nothing dey happen God dey sha cause my own case will be different. On the issue of 1st degree DE doing badly as correctly said, the problem is usually distractions. Then again, the work one puts into his/her studies is what masters, it's better to go in with the mindset of "I know nothing", and put in effort to knowing. Studying, asking for explanations when stuck, etc. Not like it's easy but it's doable, it's all personal choice
yea ryt ooo. lol distractions. lol.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 12:34pm On May 21, 2016
charleymed:
Lol. I feel your pains. Kpele. I believe everything will turn out fine for you.
Yes oo... God will continue to keep my husband, my mother, my mother in law and my siblings. Cos once ai start, the burden will be on them, for the next 7years(Ai heard medicine is now seven years). Or 4yrs(through direct entry)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 12:56pm On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
Yes oo... God will continue to keep my husband, my mother, my mother in law and my siblings. Cos once ai start, the burden will be on them, for the next 7years(Ai heard medicine is now seven years). Or 4yrs(through direct entry)
Ya'll are the real MVPS qudos
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:08pm On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
. lool.. you should've read law. Oh oga. hahaha... u worry.
People been narrow minded
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davbravo(m): 1:21pm On May 21, 2016
charleymed:
yeah, i concur
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 1:22pm On May 21, 2016
Millex:
Ya'll are the real MVPS qudos
. lol abi
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 4:13pm On May 21, 2016
Hello pals, how are ya'all doing?
It's been a while o.
So upon all the senses Jemmiee wrote una no see anything apart from the MB ish?
Na wa o!
My man Bush2013, DrLazDevitan Millex and co. How una dey na?
Millex "it has tayed ooo!"

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 4:41pm On May 21, 2016
Millex:
exactly. The "I know nothing" attitude is the best way to go.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 4:46pm On May 21, 2016
jemmiee:
. For the records, I'm not talking based on assumptions, ai graduated from unical. In Unical, the anatomy and physiology students do attend lectures with Medicine students. Ai had a lot of friends who were studying medicine. Some where graduates. Amongst them, graduates of anatomy passed the first and second MB gracefully and with distinctions (they were hardworking people) (in Unical, physiology, anatomy and Medicine students used to offer same courses in year one, two and three). Now here's my point, ai won't say they just sat back and folded their arms and assumed they knew it, hell no! my point is that, assimilation will be easier, since they are stuffs they've learnt before. They will find it easier to read, understand, and give back to the lecturers what they want. Like me now, in my year two, ai used to write stories, for example if I'm asked in exam to write on the anatomy of the mammary gland, ai will write and fill two pages of my answer scripts(ai hated diagrams).. at the end, al see a C. Ai got so devastated and ai had to meet my lecturers to explain for me. Twas then ai realised that when asked questions in anatomy, don't beat about the bush, go straight to the point, use headings (e.g. Introduction, diagram, blood supply, venous drainage, innervation, lymphatic drainage, applied anatomy). when asked in histology, state only what you will see under the microscope, adding a note on its functions, with appropriate diagrams, when asked in embryology, state only how it was made or formed, the different stages, is it from ectoderm, mesenchyme or endoderm? with appropriate diagrams and applied anatomy. You know when ai discovered that, my A's started flowing in, though ai got the info late. Now, tell me if ai will make same mistake if I'm given a second chance to do a B.Sc again, no! So for me, (ai don't know about the 2.1 graduates of anatomy you were talking about) When ai get admission to do this medicine, ai will use my experience, coupled with determination, desire and make sure ai don't repeat same mistakes ai made in my first degree. Ai will correct all the mistakes, disappointments and guilt.
good for you. But also remember that mb doesn't end in anatomy. You have physiology and biochemistry to contend with. And I don't understand what you mean by part 2 mb. Do you mean the exam after 400l? Cos I'm sure by that time you won't be bothered with anatomy and co. The fact is as millex said "I know nothing".
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 4:57pm On May 21, 2016
Aunty o! Pls na, let sleeping dogs lie, I believe we have all come to a common agreement.
dearpiriye:
good for you. But also remember that mb doesn't end in anatomy. You have physiology and biochemistry to contend with. And I don't understand what you mean by part 2 mb. Do you mean the exam after 400l? Cos I'm sure by that time you won't be bothered with anatomy and co. The fact is as millex said "I know nothing".
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 5:03pm On May 21, 2016
simba1:
Aunty o! Pls na, let sleeping dogs lie, I believe we have all come to a common agreement.
Lion king, ow market na, long time no see.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 5:59pm On May 21, 2016
Millex:

Lion king, ow market na, long time no see.
my man, I just dey o. How far DE na? Hope it's going well?? I wish you the best of luck this time! Double double blessings.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:25pm On May 21, 2016
simba1:
my man, I just dey o. How far DE na? Hope it's going well?? I wish you the best of luck this time! Double double blessings.
By God's grace it's gonna be this year, still going through the motions.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 8:18pm On May 21, 2016
dearpiriye:
. The matter was closed since morning. Thank you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 8:33pm On May 21, 2016
simba1:
lool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 21, 2016
OH I missed a lot o!!!
I notice pre-clinical students waste their time on anatomy and neglect biochemistry.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 9:39pm On May 21, 2016
Yes o! Goodluck sire!
Millex:
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 9:45pm On May 21, 2016
Yes o! Goodluck sire!
Millex:

(1) (2) (3) ... (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.