Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (426) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1836730 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:10am On Feb 10, 2017
Drguzzykola:

that moment wen the flame is abt to enter ya side
grin
is well sha...u guys should chill abeg.
LOL...Na so wink

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ModestGal(f): 11:47am On Feb 10, 2017
pls where is the easiest place to study medicine worldwide
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OLADIMEJI1000(m): 3:33pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hi,
Please can anyone onhere fill me in on Direct entry into UI to study MBBS?
(With specific interest as to the acceptance of B.sc Zoology.)
Thank you in anticipation
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOluwatobhy(m): 5:53pm On Feb 10, 2017
it my 3rd Jamb 196,221 respectively and i will be 21 by july am fed up with life and it medicine or nothing,please past and present medical students.i need your inspiration and advice. You can add me on whatsapp 08164679188.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 9:29pm On Feb 10, 2017
DrOluwatobhy:
it my 3rd Jamb 196,221 respectively and i will be 21 by july am fed up with life and it medicine or nothing,please past and present medical students.i need your inspiration and advice. You can add me on whatsapp 08164679188.

since u said MBBS or nothing then abeg remove d age factor@21..though can b considerate. but abeg jor.leave age
ure younnnnnnng.fresh blood.

am a fan of low scorers can join top scorers thru hardwork . then smart work,.u knw. i decided let reading kill me those days of MBBS aspirant sha. haha. and funnily my score increased,not even increase, jumped from 198 to 270something...that time o..now that 280 self cant assure u of biochemistry self..
i think u should figure out the reason why u score so low, ur mistakes and laziness , then multiply ur effort.
ur passion is cool.. now u only need to beliv u can do the magic..
with ur scores ,nobody should tell u u need to do some smart and hardwork on ur reading table. dnt only read but STUDY ur books .study it even wen its looks bore, that skill give u inner details and understanding that u wont forget.

just the five science course, like am not seeing y u shouldnt cover them as many times as possible before ur next jamb. they arent much na .. dont joke with ur past question also

lemme stop here.. i talk too much.( GUYTON AND HALL).lol
But
be smart in ur school of choice...i repeat ,b smart o.
this days not only book .
like it seems the chance of getting MBBS gets tougher yearly .
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOluwatobhy(m): 9:48pm On Feb 10, 2017
Drguzzykola:

since u said MBBS or nothing then abeg remove d age factor@21..though can b considerate. but abeg jor.leave age

am a fan of low scorers can join top scorers thru hardwork . then smart work,.u knw. i decided let reading kill me those days of MBBS aspirant sha. haha. and funnily my score increased,not even increase, jumped from 198 to 270something...that time o..now that 280 self cant assure u of biochemistry self..
i think u should figure out the reason why u score so low, ur mistakes and laziness , then multiply ur effort.
with ur scores ,nobody should tell u u need to do some smart and hardwork on ur reading table. dnt only read but STUDY ur books .study it even wen its looks bore, that skill give u inner details and understanding that u wont forget.

just the five science course, like am not seeing y u shouldnt cover them as many times as possible before ur next jamb. they arent much na .. dont joke with ur past question also

But
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

Thanks very much Dr,by God's grace i will go and punch Jamb hard.Thanks for beliving in me.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hazan041(m): 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
Always wish to study medicine in any university that offer it but I wasn't given admission dis 2016 session if u can help me in anyway even if outside ill gladly accept it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:23pm On Feb 10, 2017
Drguzzykola:

But
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

Lol bro u get it jare where u have read guyton nd keith plenty times you realize how small physics, chem nx others is

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 11:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
Millex:

Lol bro u get it jare where u have read guyton nd keith plenty times you realize how small physics, chem nx others is
grin abi o.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 8:53am On Feb 11, 2017
Good morn ogas, and ogas to be in the house.

I just recovered from an intense malaria episode, and this morning, my brain resumed duty. I was wondering, since the chunk of drugs I took would passed through my stomach to my small intestine, then to my liver, and the liver is charged with detoxification of substances such as drugs, alcohol etc.
Wouldn't it be assumed that the drugs would be neutralized before it enters the blood stream

or would it pass through the lymphatic system, as that's the only way to bypass the liver and get directly to the heart?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jefdr001: 9:09am On Feb 11, 2017
Donpre:

I just recovered from an intense malaria episode, and this morning, my brain resumed duty. I was wondering, since the chunk of drugs I took would passed through my stomach to my small intestine, then to my liver, and the liver is charged with detoxification of substances such as drugs, alcohol etc.
Wouldn't it be assumed that the drugs would be neutralized before it enters the blood stream

or would it pass through the lymphatic system, as that's the only way to bypass the liver and get directly to the heart?
Some drugs form active metabolites (prodrugs), others are absorbed in doses that even after undergoing first pass effect there's still enough quantity to be used by the body, even some drugs are never metabolised by the liver, and some drugs are delivered directly into the blood stream (iv). Drugs can also be used topically.

7 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jargo89(m): 10:28pm On Feb 11, 2017
Donpre:

Actually, oral administere drugs dont bypass the liver, u were right in that dey reach d liver. However durin dz first encounter wit d liver, there is a short bout of biotransformation which is also called first pass (hepatic) metabolism. This hence results in detoxification of (in most orally administered drugs) abt 30% of d drugs. This therefore reduces d bioavailability of d drug in plasma.

So to ansa ur que, not all of d drug u used for malaria will b biotransformed or metabolised in dat first encounter wit d liver.

In contrast, drz 100% bioavailability durin IV administrations...

Hope i helped...even though my write up seemed hurried...kinda busy

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 11, 2017
Donpre:
Well... that escalated pretty fast

#WatchingInHD
It happens wen a no nonsense man meets a proud cadaver!!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:40am On Feb 12, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 2:06pm On Feb 12, 2017
Thanks a lot oga jefdr001 and boss jargo for the explanations. Although, I still got questions, I think I have gotten what I came for.

Lemme just drop this one(kinda two);
Oga jefdr mentioned some drugs that are never metabolised by the liver.

1. What situation would warrant such drugs

2 If someone with severe cirrhosis were to be critically ill, wouldn't there be some kinda drug overdose due to buildup of intake.... what can be done in such cases?

I hope I'm not asking too much... Happy Sunday All!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2017
xlow:
It happens wen a no nonsense man meets a proud cadaver!!
you're the proud cadaver ryt?undecided. Anyway, I hope it all gets sorted out tho
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jefdr001: 2:48pm On Feb 12, 2017
Donpre:
Thanks a lot oga jefdr001 and boss jargo for the explanations. Although, I still got questions, I think I have gotten what I came for.

Lemme just drop this one(kinda two);
Oga jefdr mentioned some drugs that are never metabolised by the liver.

1. What situation would warrant such drugs

2 If someone with cirrhosis were to be such situation, what would be the alternative

I hope I'm not asking too much
Nah u my bro. I think jargo89 has helped to explain some of my highly summarised points to your earlier question.
As for your recent question just know that cirrhosis is a contraindication for the use of drugs that are mainly metabolised by the liver or an indication for a reduction in doses if such drugs have no alternative. Also remember that the kidneys play a role in drug metabolism and some drugs can be excreted as absorbed without being significantly altered. Drug effect also wanes with redistribution.
Pls some drugs are never significantly metabolised by the liver, ko. Significantly.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 8:45pm On Feb 12, 2017
Thanks oga jefdr001... Got it!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 9:01pm On Feb 12, 2017
Donpre:

I just recovered from an intense malaria episode, and this morning, my brain resumed duty. I was wondering, since the chunk of drugs I took would passed through my stomach to my small ingot testine, then to my liver, and the liver is charged with detoxification of substances such as drugs, alcohol etc.

I guess some drugs bind with plasma proteins i havent done drug metabolism so i cant really say
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 10:45pm On Feb 12, 2017
Millex:

I guess some drugs bind with plasma proteins i havent done drug metabolism so i cant really say
thanks for the input my other ogagrin
;
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:25pm On Feb 12, 2017
Donpre:

you're the proud cadaver ryt?undecided. Anyway, I hope it all gets sorted out tho
Cool.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by samsolite(m): 12:42am On Feb 14, 2017
Hey guys. Is there any UNIZIK 2nd year medical student in the house? I just got admitted via DE and still trying to complete the registration process. A friend told me that some departments are about to sit for exams.
Please I need someone to give me guidelines on what I need to resume school with and how to make up for lost time and classes.

Thanks.

Second, and most importantly, I'm glad to officially join this group.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by samsolite(m): 1:16am On Feb 14, 2017
MissParagon:

thanks. they do write exam, we wrote only English but truth is they didn't use that exam to judge. they were so many factors they considered eg waec result. someone DT scored highest in the exam for medicine didn't even get the admission. but you have to reach the passmark of the exam shaa
Hey MissParagon, I know you'll be in your 3rd year of Med. School at UNIZIK but I need your help. What are the materials/textbooks I need to resume school so as to catch up with my colleagues. I'm asking because I know you will be of help, having had similar experience last year.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 9:05am On Feb 14, 2017
samsolite:

Hey MissParagon, I know you'll be in your 3rd year of Med. School at UNIZIK but I need your help. What are the materials/textbooks I need to resume school so as to catch up with my colleagues. I'm asking because I know you will be of help, having had similar experience last year.

Thanks.

You should be doing Mainly ANATOMY, BCM and PHYSIOLOGY.

ANATOMY

Harold Elis (clinical anatomy) : my favorite text back then
Keith Moore
Chaurasia
Inderbir Singh (Histology)
Netter Atlas of Human Anatomy
Keith Moore Embrology
Inderbir Singh Embrology
Clinical Neuroanatomy by Snell

BIOCHEMISTRY
Harper's illustrated Biochemistry
Vasodovan
Chatterjea Shinde Textbook of Medical BCM
Clinical BCM and Metabolic Medicine

PHYSIOLOGY
Sembulingam
Guyton and Hall

Don't Know If Unizik does pharmacology and pathology in path 1 if it does I would drop some good text

N/B don't know if the text has changed from my time. But those are standard texts

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by diamora(f): 11:47am On Feb 15, 2017
Drguzzykola:

But
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

Wow! Nice one

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Canavaro2077(m): 1:13pm On Feb 15, 2017
Drguzzykola:

But
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

nice one Drguzzykola.........
For you to achieve your aim you need to be. very hard working, for you not to live harder in life..........
The road to a success is God, for with God you can do beyond extraordinarily.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by VERTEX1: 4:20pm On Feb 15, 2017
Oogway:

You should be doing Mainly ANATOMY, BCM and PHYSIOLOGY.

ANATOMY

Harold Elis (clinical anatomy) : my favorite text back then
Keith Moore
Chaurasia
Inderbir Singh (Histology)
Netter Atlas of Human Anatomy
Keith Moore Embrology
Inderbir Singh Embrology
Clinical Neuroanatomy by Snell

BIOCHEMISTRY
Harper's illustrated Biochemistry
Vasodovan
Chatterjea Shinde Textbook of Medical BCM
Clinical BCM and Metabolic Medicine

PHYSIOLOGY
Sembulingam
Guyton and Hall

Don't Know If Unizik does pharmacology and pathology in path 1 if it does I would drop some good text

N/B don't know if the text has changed from my time. But those are standard texts

Pls how do I contact you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2017
Drguzzykola:

But
Open ur eyes.
Goodluck bro..

Nice words doc... Please can you add me on whatsapp@07039643875 I rilli need motivation from you.... Am applying for unical

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 8:38pm On Feb 15, 2017
VERTEX1:

Pls how do I contact you

DM me
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dellybanky(m): 9:07pm On Feb 16, 2017
pls can dentistry students be also called medical students

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.