Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

African Cuisine - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Cuisine (56772 Views)

African Cuisine, Cook And Paste The Pics And Process Of Cooking Here. / Yours Mine and Ours: Cuisine / Rivers State Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 9:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89:

grin grin No.We call them chapatis in kenya.
When I get time I will post swahili dishes from mombasa.(Kenyan coast).Kenya doesn't have a 'national meal' well except nyama choma (roasted goat meat).
Each tribe has a speciality so I may have to post 43 different delicacies.
Mahamri from coast is like donught but spicy and very tasty.

Thank you. I want to know more about Kenyan, Swahili, hell even East African cuisines! smiley
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 9:21pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89:
I also don't like lots of soup in a bowl or plate.It's worse if it has 'oil'floating in it.The drier the food the better for me.

Same here.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89:

WHAT? Where do you buy potatoes from? Most of our dishes revolve around potato,it would be a national disaster if we didn't have them.

I also don't like lots of soup in a bowl or plate.It's worse if it has 'oil'floating in it.The drier the food the better for me.

na in my country we import potato but we produce sweet potato

i don't mind soup, especially when spicy.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89:

grin grin No.We call them chapatis in kenya.
When I get time I will post swahili dishes from mombasa.(Kenyan coast).Kenya doesn't have a 'national meal' well except nyama choma (roasted goat meat).
Each tribe has a speciality so I may have to post 43 different delicacies.
Mahamri from coast is like donught but spicy and very tasty.

kk we will be waiting. smiley
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 10:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 11:26pm On Mar 28, 2013
This is what you would ordinarily find in any restaurant in kenya.

chips masala-Tomato sauce, chili sauce, herbs, cilantro, and whatever else the chef decides are all added to the fries, coating them in a luscious sauce

Bajias-Potatoes are sliced up and battered with seasoning, deep fried, and served with a Kenyan tomato salsa that is worth boasting about.

Nyama choma-roasted goat.You can't say you have been to kenya if you haven't enjoyed nyama choma.
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 11:36pm On Mar 28, 2013
I am unable to load more.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89: Samosa- My favourite.I like samosas with minced beef filling usually with pepper.Vegetarians can replace the filling with anything.
[img]http://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTacBiAcZroW1-y94W8nPlmdfVza0ExoYFUZEpZKM4kgEMemceGgg[/img]

Chicken Biryani-A mixture of many things,lost of spices,chicken and rice.My fav dish.
[img]http://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCGHLrW2UBECAt8JumdXewpfZrQcG6CXo7M93STrfa1rGyJGDecA[/img]
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89: Samosa- My favourite.I like samosas with minced beef filling usually with pepper.Vegetarians can replace the filling with anything.

[img]http://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTacBiAcZroW1-y94W8nPlmdfVza0ExoYFUZEpZKM4kgEMemceGgg[/img]
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 11:40pm On Mar 28, 2013
How did you do that Cameroon? I tried but they refused to load.Thanks

mashed peas and potato mix and some stew.
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 11:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89: This is what you would ordinarily find in any restaurant in kenya.

chips masala-Tomato sauce, chili sauce, herbs, cilantro, and whatever else the chef decides are all added to the fries, coating them in a luscious sauce

Bajias-Potatoes are sliced up and battered with seasoning, deep fried, and served with a Kenyan tomato salsa that is worth boasting about.

Nyama choma-roasted goat.You can't say you have been to kenya if you haven't enjoyed nyama choma.

You'll love England's national dish - Fish & Chips! LOL

I love goat meat though!
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 28, 2013
I thought samosa is Asian food
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 11:45pm On Mar 28, 2013
adaobi123: I thought samosa is Asian food

They are. South Asian to be exact. Many different peoples have adopted Samosas as part of their national dish.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 28, 2013
Black Kenichi:

They are. South Asian to be exact. Many different peoples have adopted Samosas as part of their national dish.
hmmm interesting but they taste nice though smiley
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 11:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
adaobi123: I thought samosa is Asian food

I know why you say that but it's a favorite and common kenyan snack found in all restaurants including the remotest village.There are lots of Asians in the East by the way and they love samosas too.
Don't forget that the Kenyan coast is full of arabs, hence the term swahili dishes which are very yummy cz they are know how to play around spices.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 28, 2013
pendo89:

I know why you say that but it's a favorite and common kenyan snack found in all restaurants including the remotest village.There are lots of Asians in the East by the way and they love samosas too.
Don't forget that the Kenyan coast is full of arabs, hence the term swahili dishes which are very yummy cz they are know how to play around spices.
That's true, I have an Indian friend but her parents where born in Kenya, I can see why there is a mix of foods from different places.
Are you Kenyan ?
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 11:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
Yep I am kenyan. I dont know I am unable to load.Do the trick cameroon pride

chapati and stew
[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfcgHts_hBWce7a9l3-7YOqyuyb3WIzA78iEzNLa65sYOhE4d0[/img]

Roti
[img]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3RCv2hY24oO5Lb3B-GRNWfNlVaLtjjTQe9TRU0iC_vSx8lml5FQ[/img]

The difference between roti and chapatis is clear.Chapos are softer while rotis are pretty dry and not tasty when eaten without accompaniments
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 11:59pm On Mar 28, 2013
Remove the s after http
pendo89: Yep I am kenyan. I dont know I am unable to load.Do the trick cameroon pride

chapati and stew
[img]http://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfcgHts_hBWce7a9l3-7YOqyuyb3WIzA78iEzNLa65sYOhE4d0[/img]

Roti
[img]http://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3RCv2hY24oO5Lb3B-GRNWfNlVaLtjjTQe9TRU0iC_vSx8lml5FQ[/img]

The difference between roti and chapatis is clear.Chapos are softer while rotis are pretty dry and not tasty when eaten without accompaniments
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 12:03am On Mar 29, 2013
Pilau

I am unable to pick a 'kenyan dish cz like I said each tribe has its own and I cant find some photos.
But most dishes have potatoes included.

chicken tikka

pilau-spiced rice dish

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 29, 2013
i lovvvvvveeeeeeeee chapati and roti, thank God for my Asian and my kenyan friends grin
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 29, 2013
I've had the pilau spiced rice, it quite nice
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:05am On Mar 29, 2013
pendo89: How did you do that Cameroon? I tried but they refused to load.Thanks

mashed peas and potato mix and some stew.

This is what you kenyans eat hence y'all so skinny grin
Now a typical nigerian dish is loaded and dripping with starch and ample meat. cheesy
In fact angry , Wives have been slapped for not putting the correct portion of meat inside the soups of their husbands undecided
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 12:05am On Mar 29, 2013
adaobi123: i lovvvvvveeeeeeeee chapati and roti, thank God for my Asian and my kenyan friends grin

grin grin me too.But roti is flat.I love the curries that go with it
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 29, 2013
2buff:

Now a typical nigerian dish is loaded and dripping with starch and ample meat. cheesy
In fact angry , Wives have been slapped for not putting the correct portion of meat inside the soups of their husbands tongue
my friend made me taste the mashed peas potato mix..........its not my fav lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 29, 2013
pendo89:

same here smiley smiley
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 12:10am On Mar 29, 2013
2buff:

In fact angry , Wives have been slapped for not putting the correct portion of meat inside the soups of their husbands tongue

See why I said there is nothing like a 'kenyan dish? This is a local dish called mukimo/irio in local lingo and it's eaten by the people from central kenya.
It's very nutritous cz it contains lots of vegetables,beans maize potatoes and served with stew.It's a complete meal.You can eat 210kg of meat if you want and become obese.
But don't expect to be served such a meal when you tour another kenyan province.But why lie.I don't like that presentation esp the soup.I am not a fan of 'soups and more soups'
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 12:13am On Mar 29, 2013
pendo89:

Indian food rocks!
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 12:15am On Mar 29, 2013
pendo89:

See why I said there is nothing like a 'kenyan dish? This is a local dish called mukimo/irio in local lingo and it's eaten by the people from central kenya.
It's very nutritous cz it contains lots of vegetables,beans maize potatoes and served with stew.It's a complete meal.You can eat 210kg of meat if you want and become obese.
But don't expect to be served such a meal when you tour another kenyan province.But why lie.I don't like that presentation esp the soup.I am not a fan of 'soups and more soups'

A good hearty meal has to have a substantial amount of protein from meat or fish!
Re: African Cuisine by pendo89(f): 12:17am On Mar 29, 2013
^^^ You can eat as much as you want,I prefer chicken or fish-white meat.

Kenyans love tea! That's a fact.We don't eat 'food in the mornings' grin
Now waht could be tastier than tea served with mahamris.
Now these aren't doughnuts.They are close to but they are made using fermented milk and spices,I swear I can eat 20 of them.
grin

[img]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMoPA4XXV8yp5uM_EYc1Ra49tZqWHb9dLPke4NwIdcGHeYPYzGfw[/img]
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 29, 2013
Also Kenyan love potatoes, why ?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:18am On Mar 29, 2013
pendo89: Kenyans love tea! That's a fact.We don't eat 'food in the mornings' grin
Now waht could be tastier than tea served with mahamris.
Now these aren't doughnuts.They are close to but they are made using fermented milk and spices,I swear I can eat 20 of them.
grin

[img]http://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMoPA4XXV8yp5uM_EYc1Ra49tZqWHb9dLPke4NwIdcGHeYPYzGfw[/img]

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Snake Foodie / See What I Saw In A Pepsi Drink This Morning(photos) / He Cooked A Colored Chicken Stew.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.