Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

African Cuisine - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Cuisine (56737 Views)

African Cuisine, Cook And Paste The Pics And Process Of Cooking Here. / Yours Mine and Ours: Cuisine / Rivers State Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
Black Kenichi:
Mutton can be either goat or an old sheep that has died!
ooh ok
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 9:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
thiendella:
Ah ok, we call it "bissap" , the puree we make with green bissap leaves is called "begej"

We also make bissap juice from the red flowers of bissap, the scientific name is "hibiscus sabdaripha"

smiley smiley

WTH is the dish on the top pic? It looks like a mish mash of crazy food!
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 5:00am On Sep 21, 2012
thiendella:
Mafe! We have it in senegal but I think it's a malian dish. Bambaras cook it with chicken and the sauce is much lighter than the senegalese one , like this,

In senegal we usually add pounded okra (mafe kanja), but I really don't like this version since the okra gives a viscous texture to the stew
But the version with mutton , without okra is one of my favorite dishes smiley smiley

It is a Fulani dish by origin, this Mafe :-D, btw I'm stealing this picture for my Fulani thread ROFLLLL
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 2:27am On Sep 22, 2012
Black Kenichi:

WTH is the dish on the top pic? It looks like a mish mash of crazy food!
It's the white ( whitout tomato) version of our national dish thibou djen. It's called "thibu djen bu weh" . But the one one the pic is quite messy grin grin

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 2:29am On Sep 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

It is a Fulani dish by origin, this Mafe :-D, btw I'm stealing this picture for my Fulani thread ROFLLLL
I didn't know that, I tough it was a bambara dishh smiley smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 22, 2012
Sybellah:

Yup kinda,with "dah" the stew is darker and a bit heavier, depending on the quantity u add, but u still strongly feel the peanut. I like it with dah but i have never cooked it.
2 hours of "cuisson" This is a lot smiley whenever the meat is ready am done grin, with chicken it goes quite fast but with beef or lamb it takes a while. I will try your recipe one of these day and tell u if i prefer it smiley.

Hey gyal, do u know how to cook Thiebou good good? If yes please oooo give me your secret recipe grin grin
I have no secret recipe ohh grin grin, here's a video I found , this is not sphanish, it's catalan I think smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPzjVd6LMUY
But the most important is the part when you remove all your vegetables, the "bouillon" in your pot should be over salted and spiced, if not, your rice will be tasteless. And don't forget the "guedj", (c'est le poisson pourri grin grin) you can also add tamarind "the non sweet one) and netetu 'i don't know if u have this in civ, it's the fermented fruit of the nere) and if ur not sure about the quantity of water always put less so u can add more water is there's not enough for the rice, if there's too much water you'll get a sombi "bouillie" grin grin
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 22, 2012
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 5:17am On Sep 22, 2012
So Thiendella my dear, I need to make sure I keep my strength up in order to battle Bombardier in Laamb. What will you cook me my future wife?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 23, 2012
Fulaman198:
So Thiendella my dear, I need to make sure I keep my strength up in order to battle Bombardier in Laamb. What will you cook me my future wife?

hmmm maybe smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 2:08am On Sep 23, 2012
thiendella:

hmmm maybe smiley

Why the maybe? do you want to see me lose in battle to Bombardier? I can only fight well on a full stomach grin
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 9:29pm On Sep 23, 2012
Missy_B:
Is this not what Nigerians (Edos) call owo soup? Yam, somebody? cheesy kiss

Nice photos, btw . . .Keep 'em coming. smiley

The soup is also prepared in some parts of northern Nigeria. Its called miyan geda. Its prepared with vegetables too and if dah or bissap( H. sabdariffa) leaves are added its called "miyan taushe" which is usually served with tuwon rice or masa.
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 12:39am On Sep 24, 2012
wizb:

The soup is also prepared in some parts of northern Nigeria. Its called miyan geda. Its prepared with vegetables too and if dah or bissap( H. sabdariffa) leaves are added its called "miyan taushe" which is usually served with tuwon rice or masa.

Correct that's the Hausa term for that, but it was brought to Nigeria by Fulani it is originally called Mafe.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 24, 2012
Black Kenichi:
I see. OK Good Girl, what are you favourite African dishes?

Not my favourite, but among my favourite dishes - PILAU (mostly prepared in Kenya and Tanzania)
I had this over the weekend... wink wink
The rice is prepared with beef (after it's boiled for a while) and seasoned with a spice known as "pilau". It requires plenty of onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes (optional).
Many people, me included, find it dry and so some soup or some "wet" accompaniment may be required. I normally like eating pilau accompanied by kachumbari - like in the pictures. Kachumbari is a salad composed of chopped raw onions, raw tomatoes, raw pepper and avocado with a little salt sprinkled on it.
The chillier the kachumbari, the better. wink

Black Kenichi, I'll be back with more. Will give you a recipe of stewed fish dipped in groundnut sauce or coconut sauce. wink

Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 8:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
^^^^^ Not bad!
That "Kachumbari" isn't for me though. I don't really like salads and I can't stand onions!
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 9:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
Fulaman198:

Correct that's the Hausa term for that, but it was brought to Nigeria by Fulani it is originally called Mafe.

Wow! I never knew.
I can't wait to make the soup, been dreaming about it since yesterday.
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 9:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
Black Kenichi: ^^^^^ Not bad!
That "Kachumbari" isn't for me though. I don't really like salads and I can't stand onions!

Same here, I just can't stand onions.
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 1:48am On Sep 27, 2012
For some reason you Nigerians go mad over this stuff:

What does it taste like?
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:45am On Oct 01, 2012
Toho with okrwa stew

(TOHO) is made of Corn, it comes originally from the Malinke smiley

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 01, 2012
Palm Stew with rice, very good but I prefer it with plantain Fufu

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:49am On Oct 01, 2012
Attieke with Fried plantain with fish, very tasty Yummie kiss

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 4:52am On Oct 01, 2012
Sybellah: Attieke with Fried plantain with fish, very tasty Yummie kiss

That looks great except for the onions. I love plantains!
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 4:53am On Oct 01, 2012
Sybellah: Palm Stew with rice, very good but I prefer it with plantain Fufu

Looks good!

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:54am On Oct 01, 2012
Koutoukou, badazz drink!

I couldn't find any vids that show how to make it sad

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:54am On Oct 01, 2012
Linda hun common post some meals smiley smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:56am On Oct 01, 2012
Black Kenichi:
That looks great except for the onions. I love plantains!

Common man, see if u can fry the onion and the tomatoes together, u wont regret it, u wont even feel the strong taste of onions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksZU5ZBsh3M&feature=related
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 8:17am On Oct 02, 2012
Miyan Taushe (pumpkin soup): Hausa dish

[img]http://1.bp..com/-mzzoT2ah_EI/UAxqF8uOxqI/AAAAAAAAH5M/cBlKL3ebGuo/s1600/+pumpkin5a.jpg[/img]

Tuwo Shinkafa (form of mashed rice eba (Fufu) to Westerners that's the best description I can give)

[img]http://1.bp..com/-ihT--6OsHQk/TxISnUcdvJI/AAAAAAAAHvA/lgheXxogrIU/s1600/001.jpg[/img]

Tuwo Masaara: Same thing as Tuwo Shinkafa but uses plantains instead of rice.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 4:15am On Oct 03, 2012
Another Alcoholic Beverage made of Palm, The name is[b] Bandji[/b], very sweet but it has to be consumed with moderation cuz it can get u high fast fast

Re: African Cuisine by MissyB3(f): 8:09am On Oct 03, 2012
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 1:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
Sybellah: Another Alcoholic Beverage made of Palm, The name is[b] Bandji[/b], very sweet but it has to be consumed with moderation cuz it can get u high fast fast

Cool! cool
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 6:15pm On Oct 03, 2012
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 03, 2012
Missy_B: [img]http://1.bp..com/-mzzoT2ah_EI/UAxqF8uOxqI/AAAAAAAAH5M/cBlKL3ebGuo/s1600/+pumpkin5a.jpg[/img]
Looks yummy! kiss

IS THAT IRU?!!

*Faints and goes to iru paradise*
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 6:20pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

IS THAT IRU?!!

*Faints and goes to iru paradise*

Miyan Taushe or pumpkin soup, na Hausa dish what is the Yoruba word for it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Small Barbeque Fish I Bought Last Night For 5 Thousand Naira. / Snake Foodie / He Cooked A Colored Chicken Stew.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.