Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate (24042 Views)

FG Seeks Abolition Of Visa Requirement Among D-8 Member Countries / Tinubu Calls For Revolution / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 10:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
alj harem:

Thank you oga mi grin grin grin grin grin How things na ?

We thank God and hope for economic recovery. You know say situation don wowo when akata join you drink garri. grin
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

We thank God and hope for economic recovery. You know say situation don wowo when akata join you drink garri. grin
grin grin grin grin grin that bad grin grin na wa o we hope for the best egbon
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by aljharem(m): 10:26pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Alj Harem:

Then no matter what he says, you will condemn it.

If he says, "The senate should remain", you will say it is because his wife is a senator.

If he says, "The senate is redundant and should go", you will say his wife got the chance to benefit from it.

So it seems to me that there is absolutely no answer he can give on this topic that will satisfy you.

Doesn't that seem unfair? I get that you hate the man...but if you will disagree if he says YES and will also disagree if he says NO, then that suggests confusion on your part.

I agreed with him and I mentioned that but the issue if we follow the thread has changed from " what tinubu said" to " Tinubu the hypocrite" that is if you have been following tinubu since 1999.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by naturalwaves: 10:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
Desola:

Pick a number!

No, I really didn't think that Kats deserved the stick he got on this thread. He is a real gentleman who rose to defend my honour and I appreciate him (I know this will make Fagamite mad grin). A real man does not get into a fight with a woman. At most he ignores her and does not suffer fools gladly but not the resident half man we have on this thread. It is a shame though because I really held the said half man in high esteem. I did. But now, I would not be able to look at his posts the same way any more. undecided
Even if he had ignored ur initial post,U'ld still come back on his subsequent posts being d type of person U are.Afterall,he was yet 2 even make a reply b4 U pallied with ur like folks and continued d insults b4 I came in. A virtuous and responsible woman doesn't throw insults like U did even when it was totally unwarranted.A real man doesn't tolerate sh1t just like Gbawe did. U myt be used 2 bullying ur hubby at home but not evryman can be a weakling.U can view his subsequent posts in whatever form U like,no one gives a damn.This is a public forum where everyone says his/her own opinion and debate.If U do not agree to a post, quote it and put 4ward ur contradictions in a civil manner rather than turning a civil debate into a market trash with ur uncultured behaviour.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
naturalwaves:
Even if he had ignored ur initial post,U'ld still come back on his subsequent posts being d type of person U are.Afterall,he was yet 2 even make a reply b4 U pallied with ur like folks and continued d insults b4 I came in. A virtuous and responsible woman doesn't throw insults like U did even when it was totally unwarranted.A real man doesn't tolerate sh1t just like Gbawe did. U myt be used 2 bullying ur hubby at home but not evryman can be a weakling.U can view his subsequent posts in whatever form U like,no one gives a damn.This is a public forum where everyone says his/her own opinion and debate.If U do not agree to a post, quote it and put 4ward ur contradictions in a civil manner rather than turning a civil debate into a market trash with ur uncultured behaviour.

Oh please GTFOH!!!! We have moved on angry
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 10:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

Sure, let me even concede that it is nepotism.

But...nepotism is a different sin from hypocrisy.

And nepotism has nothing to do with whether his call for abolishment is wrong or right, does it?

Why can't we discuss the issue on its own merits rather than making it again about Tinubu?

If you like, pretend that it was some random person unconnected to politics at all who made this proposal.

Do you agree with the proposal, or not?

I believe he is right. As it stands some of the tiers of government are redundant. Dissolving the Senate will help reduce Federal establishment and though it may not speed up return to regional govt, a desire of ACN, it nonetheless severes a component of FG that is used to benefit the executive moreso than serving the people with enactment of laws......
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Demdem(m): 10:39pm On Sep 20, 2012
Katsumoto: At the end of the day - the initial hot debate about ACN policies and progress has been swept under the carpet. So also was the discussion about DemDem's SNC and restructuring of the federation.

To be honest, am hurt.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

I believe he is right. As it stands some of the tiers of government are redundant. Dissolving the Senate will help reduce Federal establishment and though it may not speed up return to regional govt, a desire of ACN, it nonetheless severes a component of FG that is used to benefit the executive moreso than serving the people with enactment of laws......

If the senate is dissolved, wouldn't minorities become even more marginalised?! Would the legislature then be structured so that each state get equal representation ?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 10:45pm On Sep 20, 2012
If you restructure the federation along regional lines, you will end up a smaller house of rep, a smaller senate, a legislative with proper checks and balance, protection for minorities, and reduce NASS spending.

You need the senate or upper house.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 10:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
If Tinubu is interested in reducing waste, let his party sponsor a bill demanding that NASS spending be reduced by 50% for a start.

They add no value, sleep in NASS, and earn more than the president of the richest nation. Fc.uking ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Demdem(m): 10:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
Katsumoto: If you restructure the federation along regional lines, you will end up a smaller house of rep, a smaller senate, a legislative with proper checks and balance, protection for minorities, and reduce NASS spending.

You need the senate or upper house.

I don't think two houses at the federal level is needed if we are divided region wise. What for? Remember that the bulk of the power enjoyed at the federal level now would have been shifted to the regions who now controls their resources. Just a house with equal representation is ok for me.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 10:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
olivertwist: You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Yorubas are their own enemies. Bad governance, we complain, good governance we complain, what else do we want this Tinubu to do. He rescued SW from the grip of PDP, if he didn't care for the SW people, he could've done away with the likes of Fashola and bring in the likes of Akalas and nothing will happen, but he didn't. Why can't we for once look at the message and not the messanger.

Tinubu call for state police, No way.
Tinubu call for SNC, No way.
Tinubu call for new revenue formula, No way.
Tinubu calls for the privatization of Power, No way...and what is GEJ doing now?
Tinubu wants INEC to be the one to elect state resident electoral officers, No way.
Tinubu calls for the scrap of the senate, not minding the fact that it'll affect his wife, No way.
Tinubu calls for equity and fairness in election, No way.
Tinubu calls for regional autonomy, No way.
Tinubu calls for creation of more local govts in Lagos state, No way.
Tinubu calls for constitutional review, no way.

[b]Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu
Tinubu, TinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubuTinubu

[/b]

Yes Tinubu rescued the SW from PDP

So there is no need for stakeholders to call for BETTER transparency, reduced nepotism and favouritism, efficient allocation of resources, increased emphasis on growth.

Yes, the job is done. Lets all go home and rest knowing fully well that the PDP has been defeated because there is no chance of PDP returning or ACN turning to PDP. angry
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ektbear: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

If the senate is dissolved, wouldn't minorities become even more marginalised?! Would the legislature then be structured so that each state get equal representation ?

Does the senate as present represent or protect the right of minorities? By the way, do you mean ETHNIC minorities or low-population states?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
It seems some folks still don't understand how things are in Naija. Chuck the Senate but at the end of the day, you will still have zero progress. The saved money will be shared. Nothing for the common man. The rot is much deeper than some understand it to be

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Katsumoto: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
Demdem:

I don't think two houses at the federal level is needed if we are divided region wise. What for? Remember that the bulk of the power enjoyed at the federal level now would have been shifted to the regions who now controls their resources. Just a house with equal representation is ok for me.

Agreed

I overlooked that. I was focusing on restructing.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

Does the senate as present represent or protect the right of minorities? By the way, do you mean ETHNIC minorities or low-population states?

Low population states. I think the senate as it is currently represents the right of minorities to an extent. Ogun State has 3 senators representing Egba, Ijebu and Yewa districts despite Yewa possibly being the least populated district.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 11:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
shymexx: Eko_Ile has been shockingly quiet today...

Cheer up, brudda.. grin

Must I attend to every rif raf and attention seeking homo/sexualll on NL

I know Gbawe gas you up a little bit, but don't get carried away and overstate your importance.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 11:01pm On Sep 20, 2012
Our military boys didn't have any House. What did they do with the money?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one: Our military boys didn't have any House. What did they do with the money?

And our military also had guns, no one could question their authority. At least, we can make noise without receiving letter bombs or disappearing without trace for speaking against the government.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eko Ile:
Must I attend to every rif raf and attention seeking homo/sexualll on NL

I know Gbawe gas you up a little bit, but don't get carried away and overstate your importance.

What importance? Fam, you think I care about ratings on an anonymous forum like you do?? You're definitely having a laugh!!!

Just lurk and enjoy the discourse!! undecided
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 11:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one: It seems some folks still don't understand how things are in Naija. Chuck the Senate but at the end of the day, you will still have zero progress. The saved money will be shared. Nothing for the common man. The rot is much deeper than some understand it to be

Hmmm...THIS!
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

Yes, thats what will happen. You are correct in that this will agitate them for equity in the center. No state will donate its seat to another and therfore the equity must be accomplished by other means. Lobbying new alliances along true ethnic identity.......therefore a scale back from the center and into regionally controlled politics.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

And our military also had guns, no one could question their authority. At least, we can make noise without receiving letter bombs or disappearing without trace for speaking against the government.
They had guns, they had no Senate, no HOR, yet no progress. The more the oil revenue, the bigger their Ghana-must-go bags.

So, this call by Tinubu is simply counter-intuitive.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 11:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
shymexx:

What importance? Fam, you think I care about ratings on an anonymous forum like you do?? You're definitely having a laugh!!!

Just lurk and enjoy the discourse!! undecided

What I'm saying is, discuss the topic and quit running after other men and seeking unnecessary attention on NL, unlike you, some of us are not homo/sexuallll.

SFTU and discuss the Topic, Eko Ile is not the topic and I don't need your attention or you yelling my name all over the place or craving my penisssss.

Get back inside your closet.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 11:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
.......if the Federal govt wil not divest power willingly, by eroding the institutions that govt subsist on you invariably move people away from the government and into self sufficiency.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2012
Eko Ile:

What I'm saying is, discuss the topic and quit running after other men and seeking unnecessary attention on NL, unlike you, some of us are not homo/sexuallll.

SFTU and discuss the Topic, Eko Ile is not the topic and I don't need your attention or you yelling my name all over the place or craving my penisssss.

Get back inside your closet.
Thought he was joking. Enough of this, guys.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Yes, thats what will happen. You are correct in that this will agitate them for equity in the center. No state will donate its seat to another and therfore the equity must be accomplished by other means. Lobbying new alliances along true ethnic identity.......therefore a scale back from the center and into regionally controlled politics.

My government studies is rather rusty but I think this suggestion is likely to move us towards regionalism and if that's what's veiled behind Tinubu's call, I agree.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 11:22pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

My government studies is rather rusty but I think this suggestion is likely to move us towards regionalism and if that's what's veiled behind Tinubu's call, I agree.

"veiled" ......thats the keyword! grin

Now who says Tinubu is not smart?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one:
They had guns, they had no Senate, no HOR, yet no progress. The more the oil revenue, the bigger their Ghana-must-go bags.

So, this call by Tinubu is simply counter-intuitive.

Hmmm, call me easily pleased but we have it better than we did under the military. That we can air our opinions and call our president the silliest names both in print and cyberspace is enough testament to that.

The Nigerian electorate still remains fairly ignorant of their rights and that to an extent perpetuates the rot.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by EkoIle1: 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ola one:
Thought he was joking. Enough of this, guys.

He wasn't and even if he was, I don't care and I don't need his joke.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Olaone1: 11:26pm On Sep 20, 2012
naijababe:

Hmmm, call me easily pleased but we have it better than we did under the military. That we can air our opinions and call our president the silliest names both in print and cyberspace is enough testament to that.

The Nigerian electorate still remains fairly ignorant of their rights and that to an extent perpetuates the rot.

I agree.
Eko Ile:

He wasn't and even if he was, I don't care and I don't need his joke.
Alright.

Night, guys.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Hugoboi(m): 11:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
As far I'm concerned, Tinubu's call for the abolition of the Senate is self-serving. Any unbiased follower of politics in Nigeria will see that the Nigerian problem is not the Senate but the Senators who have abdicated their responsiblities in pursuit of self enrichment. The legislature, of all arms of government should be the epitome of fiscal responsility but the Nigerian version has become a breeding ground for gangsters of all calling. Abolishing the Senate will be akin to throwing away the baby with the bath water. Highers standards for election into the legislature should be more stringent than what obtains today. As far as I'm concerned, certain individuals have no business being in the senate. How can one fanthom a scenario where a senator has no rudimentary knowledge of lawmaking, sits in the chamber for 8 years and does not sponsor a single bill. That is ridiculous to say the least.

As per the ACN brouhaha, I've consistently said it that both ACN and PDP are two fingers of the same leprous hand. The fact that Nigerians are fed up of PDP and its shenanigans since 1999 does not in any way grant the Tinubu and his ACN messiah status. A huge chunk of ACN members esp in the SE and SS were all disgrutled PDP cast outs and I'm forced to see the ACN as a better alternative? HELL NO!! I frankly beg to differ. As far as I'm concerned, Tinubu is building his own army and if the ACN peradventure takes over the presidency, Nigeria will be worse for it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Boko Haram Defeated, Chibok Girls Rescue Underway, Says Buratai / IPOB Member Handcuffed In His Community In Ebonyi. Photos / Buhari Approves Appointment Of Abubakar Nuhu Fikpo As Substantive DG NDE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.