Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos (8899 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Yarima Took Clerics To Jonathan To Pray For Peace / Cleanup Of Oil Pollution In Ogoniland Will Cost $1Billion And Take 30 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Arsenate(m): 6:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
FANTASTIC FASHOLA.
Those churches are extremely selfish
and wicked. In fact FASHOLA FOR
PRESIDENT. He truly seems to have the
people at heart; not minding if he steps
on toes or if it undermines his future
political ambition. Quite selfless.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by okpurukata(f): 6:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
A church opened just beside my house, using part of my fence as their alter. Our environment is an otherwise serene residential area. They then bought a musical instrument meant for a cathedral even though the church is not bigger than two rooms. The noise is unimaginable. My bedroom an children's room is just by the wall less than 20 feet away. I personally went and appealed to the pastress - a woman. She promised to round up her programmes by 8 pm daily. They never adhered to this.

Another day on a Thursday, I came back from work by 9pm and made to sleep when they started an all night programme. I was so angry and went to ask them to put their neighbors into considerations and the boy playing musical instruments came to fight me. He tore my maiguard's clothes when he intervened.
That night my neighbor the pastress asked her chuch to pray against me, that we are evil Christians.

I simply prayed to God that his words says that curse cause less shall not stand, and that I have a right to have peace in my home.

The matter finally landed us in the police.

What I am saying is just that people should consider fellow humans when sighting any business venture at all. Church or whatever. Every one is a child of God and He says Love your neighbor as yourselves.

If only we can practice this.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Pukkah: 6:32pm On Sep 24, 2012
okpurukata: I was so angry and went to ask them to put their neighbors into considerations and the boy playing musical instruments came to fight me. He tore my maiguard's clothes when he intervened.
That night my neighbor the pastress asked her chuch to pray against me, that we are evil Christians.

I simply prayed to God that his words says that curse cause less shall not stand, and that I have a right to have peace in my home.

What I am saying is just that people should consider fellow humans when sighting any business venture at all. Church or whatever. Every one is a child of God and He says Love your neighbor as yourselves.

That is their usual line - 'evil Christians', 'devilish people', etc when in fact the Bible is not in support of what they are doing. But how was the matter resolved at the police station?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Biggyd2: 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
okpurukata:

Ouch, I feel your pain. I think that the government needs to take drastic steps to curb this menace. It seems some of the places of worship are in competition with each other. How can you have different religious groups in a building and each with their different mega speakers outside the building? It does looks as if they are "marketing" prospective members. Why is selfishness our problem? The noise decibels need to be reduced drastically, truth be told. Even the okada riders that use horns meant for bigger vehicles are not left out.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by pheesayor(m): 7:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
mosques are the main culprits in amuwo. There's a mini mosque behind my house from the hausas there, their noise starts from 5am, not up to 150 meters there's another one with the same noise. They are scattered all around festac and agboju, disturbing the peace of others in the name of religion. CD sellers too add their own during the day
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by honeric01(m): 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
I can't wait to see this law executed!
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by okpurukata(f): 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
Pukkah:

That is their usual line - 'evil Christians', 'devilish people', etc when in fact the Bible is not in support of what they are doing. But how was the matter resolved at the police station?

The police tried to settle the issue by telling the woman to know that I have a right of peace in my own house. The DPO finally called me and told me that their handicapis that there is still no legislation against noise pollution, so they are handicapped. He advised me to go and buy a bigger sound system and play my own music while the church service is on. Being a Christian, of of course I could not do that. I only went back and told the woman that God will judge her. I have comitted the Matter into Gods hands. The woman has gone about boasting that no one can touch her. I have the option of reporting her to Rivers state environmental sanitation, but have chosen not to. The fact is that I feel sympathy for her because she suffered for several years in abject poverty. If they close the church, how will she feed her family?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by surveyProf(m): 8:21pm On Sep 24, 2012
honeric01: I can't wait to see this law executed!

The question is will dey obey it?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 8:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
The law has been in operation for a while. The government has sealed up quite a few premises because the owners/occupiers violated the law. Many such cases have been reported on nairaland (I'm going to repost them).

Initially some posters thought that the law was designed by a muslim governor to target christians, but I gave them examples of instances when mosques were shut for violating the law.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Pukkah: 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
okpurukata:

The police tried to settle the issue by telling the woman to know that I have a right of peace in my own house. The DPO finally called me and told me that their handicapis that there is still no legislation against noise pollution, so they are handicapped. He advised me to go and buy a bigger sound system and play my own music while the church service is on. Being a Christian, of of course I could not do that. I only went back and told the woman that God will judge her. I have comitted the Matter into Gods hands. The woman has gone about boasting that no one can touch her. I have the option of reporting her to Rivers state environmental sanitation, but have chosen not to. The fact is that I feel sympathy for her because she suffered for several years in abject poverty. If they close the church, how will she feed her family?

They won't close the church if she removes the loudspeakers that are outside.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 9:16pm On Sep 24, 2012
[size=14pt]Lagos Shuts Down Lord’s Chosen, 6 Other Churches[/size]

by jidsoon(m): 2:44pm On Feb 21

The Lagos State Government has shut down the Lord’s Chosen Charismatic Ministry and six other churches in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria over noise pollution.

Officials of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, LASEPA stormed a branch of the Lord’s Chosen Church at 25 Omobola Street, Lawanson, Surulere area at the weekend and shut it down.

Other affected churches are Bible Church, FESTAC; The Chapter of Christ Church, Oregun, Ikeja; Assemblies of God Church, Ikeja; The Golden Gate Church, Ifako-Ijaiye and Seek and Save Ministry, Abule Egba.

The closure of the churches is coming after pre-sanction notices were given to the churches to abate the noise pollution emanating from their worship centres.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi said the closure of the churches became imperative after several abatement notices issued to them were disregarded.

According to him, some of the churches even rebuffed meetings called by the agency on how to resolve the issue.

“The agency’s stance is clear on issue of noise pollution level permitted. This has been communicated to all worship centres in the state.

“The level of noise pollution allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night,” he said.

Shabi said the state government was determined to reduce noise pollution in the state because of the anomalies and diseases related to it.

He enjoined worship centres in the state to comply with the state’s standard on noise, while suggesting the use of sound proof equipment by churches to reduce noise during their worship services.

Meanwhile, the large expanse of land in Ayobo where the temporary headquarters of Deeper Life Bible Church is situated may soon become a subject of litigation, as the Olalere Family has asked the church to vacate the land.

The over 150 acres of land covering Amule, Ayobo and Onikanga communities, currently accommodates the Deeper Life Bible Church main auditorium, the International Bible Training College and the proposed Anchor University owned by founder of the church, Pastor Williams Kumuyi.

Although Deeper Life Bible Church has been in possession of the land for over 30 years, the Olalere Family who now claim ownership of the land has declared the church as an illegal occupant and warned that the family may resort to court action to evict the church if it does not legalise its tenancy of the land.

The Olalere family in a letter to the church dated 7 February 2012 noted that by virtue of a 2010 court ruling by Justice Oyekan Abdullahi, the entire Ayobo community land belongs to them, and any occupant currently on the land must renegotiate their tenancy with the family.

When our reporter contacted the church over the development, secretary to the church, Pastor Jerry Asemota, said he was personally unaware of any letter to the church by the Olalere family.

He, however, said that only the legal department of the church could confirm receipt of such letters.

When asked about the Olalere family’s claim of ownership to the church land, he said: “I can assure you that we are not illegal occupants. We have been in possession of this land for 30 years and if the initial owners have problem among themselves, they should settle it amicably.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/02/21/lagos-shuts-down-lords-chosen-6-other-churches/

https://www.nairaland.com/876166/lagos-shuts-down-lord-chosen
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by okpurukata(f): 9:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
Pukkah:

They won't close the church if she removes the loudspeakers that are outside.

Thanks a lot
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by olaheavy: 9:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
@CHEESEBOARD, you're a typical religious fool. Your type can only justify nonsense in the name of 'freedom of religion' and some sh!!t like that! It's either they tag whoever complains a 'witch' or 'antichrist' and fvcks as such. Useless, religious scumbags.
@The Topic: I am in support of a law banning the use of loudspeakers, megaphones, or any P.A. systems, for that matter. They're all a source of public/environmental nuisance. About nine churches sorround my place of abode - they all compete (in their madness) for superiority at noisemaking! Recently, the particular one right across from house held a night vigil, as they always do every Wednesday. I was unable to sleep as they put their speakers outside and sang and clapped and screamed well into 2:30 AM. I tossed around my bed and tried to cover my head with my pillows, so as to afford some sleep, alas! I was so miserable infuriated. I got up and asked the securityman to open the gate - I went across, banged on their window and demanded to see their pastor. They were so scared (about 100 of them beng holed up in there jumping and cyclically gyrating) and ccould not believe that anyone could be so bold to the extent of coming out in the middle of the night to confront them. I asked them to ccut down the noise immediately. The lady preacher did not budge - but I stood there and didn't move even as some of the men came out to reassure me that they would cut it down. They had to go inside and force the loud and hysterical woman to shut up. They thereafter turned off the very speaker that was close to the street and closed shut their windows. And Peace eventually Reigned that early morning.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 9:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
[size=14pt]Churches And Mosques In Lagos Shut Down Over Noise Polution ![/size]

by wales(m): 5:54am On May 23

This may sound funny to you but believe me when I say this: those men and women behind those church and mosques won't find this funny in anyway cos they are running at a big loss round the clock. Well, the Govt rules and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

The Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) in conjunction with the Lagos State Task force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit, yesterday Monday May 21, shut down two churches and two mosques in the state for noise pollution after numerous warnings to the religious centres to stop the noise.

The affected churches are: The Christ Chosen Church, Onipanu, and The Evangelical Apostolic Church. The affected mosques are Darusalam Mosque at Sabo, Yaba, and Ayegbesin Mosque at Mafoluku, Oshodi ...Source

https://www.nairaland.com/944620/churches-mosques-lagos-shut-down

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by omosexy1: 9:31pm On Sep 24, 2012
okpurukata:

You sympathise with her Ridiculous, you probably do not know of the effect of noise. If only you do. You should take her to court and let the court decide. I wonder why people rush to the police whenever there is a civil case. Let the court subpoena her and lets see if she can still boast. Honestly, you have to do something before you and your children start to hear voices due to resonance.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by mbhs139(m): 11:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
Clemzy16: Propangada! Propangada! Propangada! All na wash! Policies like this cannot even work in other developed countries, not to talk of Nigeria. Noise polution ko! Noise polution ni! Mcheew..

Baad Belle. Mon...
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by mbhs139(m): 11:20pm On Sep 24, 2012
The Shabi of a thing does not have sense. Why attributing it to Fashola, when Fash himself does not attribute anything to himself?

Simply say, the State Government has ordered...bla bla bla.

Government officials should know how to present matter sometiimes.

He makes it look as if Fashola has a personal grudge against these houese of God.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by mbhs139(m): 11:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
There are about nine churches in my street. One has their revival ground right opposite my guardian's window.

It use to be a tough time anytime they are having revival.

And have you noticed one thing lately? Churches are buying houses virtually in all streets in Lagos, particular reference is made to Christ Chosen

Religion!!!
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by hoyehdiran: 12:04am On Sep 25, 2012
bigass: JEHOVAH WITNESS KINGDOM HALLS DONT NOISE POLLUTE

Your English is pathetic

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by braine(m): 1:40am On Sep 25, 2012
bigass: JEHOVAH WITNESS KINGDOM HALLS DONT NOISE POLLUTE
That is because they are civilized people, unlike the other groups.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by braine(m): 1:42am On Sep 25, 2012
hoyehdiran:

Your English is pathetic
At least you get the drift.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by braine(m): 1:47am On Sep 25, 2012
mbhs139: The Shabi of a thing does not have sense. Why attributing it to Fashola, when Fash himself does not attribute anything to himself?

Simply say, the State Government has ordered...bla bla bla.

Government officials should know how to present matter sometiimes.

He makes it look as if Fashola has a personal grudge against these houese of God.
Even the topic says the same. I was wondering if Fashola himself will tackle the situation or the state government.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 3:57am On Sep 25, 2012
[size=14pt]Fashola Seals Oyakhilome’s Warehouse[/size]

by Aloy.Emeka: 12:38am On Dec 24, 2009

Lagos Seals Oyakhilome’s Warehouse
December 22, 2009 13:26, 1,451 views
By Kazeem Ugbodaga

The Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), at the weekend, shut Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s Christ Embassy’s warehouse and eight industries across the state, for failing to comply with the environmental laws of the state.

The warehouse, located at Adebayo Akande Street, off Billingsway, Alausa and Mazino Hotel on 12, Aromire Street, Ikeja, were shut over dirty drains, improper management of spent oil and dumping of waste on unauthorised places.

LASEPA and task force officials stormed the warehouse and other properties on Friday, effected their closure and vowed not to reopen them until their management complied with the environmental laws of the state.

General Manager, LASEPA, Engr. Rasheed Shabi, said the agency had over time investigated the complaints by some people over the sanitation and pollution nuisances caused by these companies and residents.

He added that the companies shut refused to abate the sanitation and pollution nuisances, thus leaving their environment dirty or difficult to live in.

Head, Enforcement Team of the agency, Mr. Kayode Bello, said the companies were shut because they refused to abate the various offences levelled against them.

He said that the affected industries and residential areas have been advised to report to LASEPA office, adding that failure to do so would attract stiffer sanctions, according to the agency’s edict.

One of the companies, Purechem Industries at 2, Adeleke Sholanke Street, off Adeniyi Jones Avenue, Ikeja, was shut over noise pollution from its generating set, while Hotel Comfort situated at 21, Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, was closed over improper management of waste and spent oil, dirty and silted drains.

Deep Confidence International Trading at 1B, Adeola Ajayi Crescent, Mafoluku, was also shut for environmental pollution, while Pentagon Plastics, Ajao Estate, was closed for obstructing the agency’s officials from carrying out their duty.

Other properties sealed were Sunny Sound Studio at 43, Mosalasi Street, Somolu, for noise pollution and a soccer viewing centre at 27, Apata Street, Somolu.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/12/22/lagos-seals-oyakhilomes-warehouse

https://www.nairaland.com/371035/fashola-seals-oyakhilome-warehouse
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by DECOtech(m): 7:57am On Sep 25, 2012
k2039: [color=#00009
9]He forgot to add the noise generat
ed by generators.
[/color]
that was actually what I tought he
was goin to first address.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by DECOtech(m): 8:08am On Sep 25, 2012
okpurukata:

The police tried to settle the issue
by telling the woman to know that I
have a right of peace in my own hou
se. The DPO finally called me and to
ld me that their handicapis that the
re is still no legislation against n
oise pollution, so they are handicap
ped. He advised me to go and buy a b
igger sound system and play my own m
usic while the church service is on.
Being a Christian, of of course I c
ould not do that. I only went back a
nd told the woman that God will judg
e her. I have comitted the Matter in
to Gods hands. The woman has gone ab
out boasting that no one can touch h
er. I have the option of reporting h
er to Rivers state environmental san
itation, but have chosen not to. The
fact is that I feel sympathy for he
r because she suffered for several y
ears in abject poverty. If they clos
e the church, how will she feed her
family?
They don't need to close the church.
the church should be made to reduce
their noise.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 8:11am On Sep 25, 2012
The law does not discriminate between churches, mosques, generators, music sellers, etc. What the law says is that the level of noise allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night. You can see from my previous posts that premises have been shut due to the noise emitted by their electricity generators.

However, it seems that Lasepa relies more on complaints by citizens. They also need an effective monitoring team.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Biggyd2: 8:46am On Sep 25, 2012
naptu2: The law does not discriminate between churches, mosques, generators, music sellers, etc. What the law says is that the level of noise allowed in the state is between 55 decibel during the day and 42 to 45 decibel at night. You can see from my previous posts that premises have been shut due to the noise emitted by their electricity generators.

However, it seems that Lasepa relies more on complaints by citizens. They also need an effective monitoring team.

Thanks, i am trying to give examples of the sound/noise decibels. At least, these will help people understand a bit the level required by the law.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33535946/Decibel-Level-Comparison-Chart
http://www.soundinstitute.com/article_detail.cfm/ID/95
http://www.controlnoise.com/decibel-chart/
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Venchy: 9:08am On Sep 25, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

You be winch?? grin grin grin

Are you related to BUSINESS MAN that called himself Pastor OYEDEPO.

Typical Nigerians that can't understand what Noise is all about and the effect......

Making all those noise will not guarantee you the kingdom of heaven...silly PLEB

Most Nigerians doesn't understand what gospel is all about, the pastor rather rob people like you and you your money to buy private Jet.....Shit happens in Nigeria.

Wake up people, NOISE pollution is bad .....you'll never hear a noise of English churches and Mosque but prayers takes place without disturbing no one in LONDON except NIGERIAN CHURCHES that expose their lousynes.

Not for God purpose but for money making.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by madjune(m): 9:38am On Sep 25, 2012
These people are funny. Fashola should first go to OJOTA and tell all the agbero conductors to stop shouting. Then, tell THE LORD'S CHOSEN ministry to RELOCATE out of Lagos. Simple.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by neadyo: 10:42am On Sep 25, 2012
i believe the disc sellers located along the roadsides creating unnecessary loud noise should also be taking into consideration and curbed or rather stopped
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by doublecross(m): 11:28am On Sep 25, 2012
Good Move but Bad Style...........let the churches and mosques place their heavy speakers inside the church and not outside. they should limit the frequency of sound coming out from those speakers. I mean...its killing.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2012
okpurukata: A church opened just beside my house, using part of my fence as their alter. Our environment is an otherwise serene residential area. They then bought a musical instrument meant for a cathedral even though the church is not bigger than two rooms. The noise is unimaginable. My bedroom an children's room is just by the wall less than 20 feet away. I personally went and appealed to the pastress - a woman. She promised to round up her programmes by 8 pm daily. They never adhered to this.

Another day on a Thursday, I came back from work by 9pm and made to sleep when they started an all night programme. I was so angry and went to ask them to put their neighbors into considerations and the boy playing musical instruments came to fight me. He tore my maiguard's clothes when he intervened.

I was also in your shoes for sometime, close to almost a year before action was taken. I have learnt one lesson, the church will never hearken to your pleas, and if you wait till a god in the sky to judge them, you must be day dreaming cos that will never happen. Take charge, and get the service of an attorney to deal with the situation, if we humans don't act, don't expect any actions to be taken from any unseen and unreal being. I only spent a token amount of money to carry a warning from a reputable attorney, and ever since they have really behaved. Act now or you are risking to die young and won't be there for your kids. Noise pollution kills faster than AIDS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria / Umahi Seeks South East Support For Tinubu / Police Arrest Two Over Missing Baby, Placenta In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.