Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack (5339 Views)

It's Official: Nokia-branded Smartphones Are Coming In 2016 / Samsung Galaxy Smartphones Are Turning To Hot Plate / How To Wipe And Load OS On Your Blackberry Phone Using BBSAK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Slyr0x: 11:55am On Sep 26, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Phones Are Vulnerable To A Remote Wipe Attack

~All the information provided is for educational purposes only.
~The OP is in no way responsible for any misuse of the information.

A SECURITY RESEARCHER has exposed a vulnerability in some Samsung handsets that leaves them open to a remote wipe attack.

Ravi Borgaonkar showed off the attack at the Ekoparty security conference, reports Slashgear. There he showed how a hacker could direct the user to a webpage where some malicious code could plunge them into a factory reset nightmare.

Borgaonkar's talk, Dirty use of USSD Codes in Cellular Network, showed how the Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) protocol, which is commonly used, can be exploited by attackers.

The attack can rely on people following links that suggest a trip to a website where you might see a "sexy co-ed" or equivalent. But as we have seen time and time before, people will fall for this type of thing. QR codes can also send people to attack webpages, according to Borgaonkar, as can NFC tags. Basically, anything that can open a URL can be used, he explained.

He said that attackers can kill a SIM card and wipe the handset in just three minutes, adding that although victims can see what is happening they will be powerless to stop it.

Samsung devices running Touchwiz appear to be affected. We have asked Samsung to comment. In the meantime, and unless you want to be targeted by gits, you might consider turning off automatic page loading in your NFC and QR code reading apps.

Update
Samsung told us that the vulnerability had been fixed already, but did recommend that users install the latest software update.

"We would like to assure our customers that the recent security issue concerning the Galaxy S III has already been resolved through a software update," it said in a statement.

"We recommend all Galaxy S III customers to download the latest software update, which can be done quickly and easily via the Over-The-Air (OTA) service."

http://packetstormsecurity.org/news/view/21533/Samsung-Galaxy-Phones-Are-Vulnerable-To-A-Remote-Wipe-Attack.html

So basically, If you want to remote wipe your friends’ Android phones, get them to visit a web page embedded with this code:

<frame src=”tel:*2767*3855%23” />

1 Like

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Maleeq(m): 12:12pm On Sep 26, 2012
hmmmm...*now updating.

Sly, please visit that link and tell us if it works! hehehehe.... tongue
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by jbrodaly(m): 3:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
Thanks for this bruv!I am currently working on a thesis work on mobile phone security issues, this is highly needed material.
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Blackteeth(m): 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
Sorry it wouldnt stop me from making love with my darling samsung smartphone.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by softtouch2(m): 3:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
Another live Demo to wipe Samsung using Barcode with Malicious USSD embedded code.
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEESPrE0Csw [/url]

I got to tell my folks to do the OTA update
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Truman155(m): 3:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
Apple propaganda lamfao........... ........., THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 26, 2012
Truman155: Apple propaganda lamfao........... ........., THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE
how much? grin grin
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Onyenna(m): 5:40pm On Sep 26, 2012
Thanks a lot.....
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by dejiswaggs(m): 5:53pm On Sep 26, 2012
Another Apple stunt? If you use a samsung Smart Phone try to protect your phone oohh or else.....
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by Dondbuzor: 7:52pm On Sep 26, 2012
Lwkms
Which one be 'this space is for sale' again!

Truman155: Apple propaganda lamfao........... ........., THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by lasunray(m): 11:41pm On Sep 26, 2012
jbrodaly: Thanks for this bruv!I am currently working on a thesis work on mobile phone security issues, this is highly needed material.

hello, I want to keep in touch with u on similar thesis
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by walcolm(m): 7:51am On Sep 27, 2012
this is stale gist and that security hole has been plugged
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by kcfresh007(m): 9:01am On Sep 27, 2012
HELP HELP HELP: anybody with samsung galaxy tab unlocking code
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by kcfresh007(m): 9:02am On Sep 27, 2012
i want to unlock my samsung galaxy tab.anybody with help
Re: Samsung Smartphones Are Vulnerable To Remote Wipe Attack by UncleJJ(m): 9:36am On Sep 28, 2012
kcfresh007: i want to unlock my samsung galaxy tab.anybody with help

I did mine nt on a tab though. But the galaxy s.

You to check xda developers. I cant remember bt u should check for zerg or similar. You need to start the samsung in safe mode or something extract the os as .img and use a hex editor to find the code.

Mine was six digits. Took me whole day to pull off. Becareful, though

(1) (Reply)

15 Must Have Android Apps 2015 / Meet The World's Most Secured Phone - Gionee M6 With Specs And Photos / Recover Stolen Blackberry Mtn Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.