Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,205 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? (5423 Views)

Emotional Abuse / 21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage / Emotional Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2012
Regardless of the failures of your parents, at some point - adults at some point, have to learn to take responsibility for their lives.

You begin this process by forgiving your parents. Live and MOVE ON.

Seems some posters are beginning to give excuses for bad behavior.

1 Like

Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 27, 2012
obowunmi: Regardless of the failures of your parents, at some point - adults at some point, have to learn to take responsibility for their lives.

You begin this process by forgiving your parents. Live and MOVE ON.

Seems some posters are beginning to give excuses for bad behavior.
True but, where do they get that help to deal with the issues? Do we have counseling and therapy? Is it just Pastors who make everything some demon issue or are interested in squeezing out funds for deliverance? people have deep psychological issues but here everything is a "generational curse". Eg, How does a child who watched his father beat his mother to death and get away with it "let go " and live a normal life without counselling or any way of addressing the issue, as most of these issues are not even discussed but made a family matter and ignored.
We always seem to tell people to forget and move on maybe because we cannot feel the pain and hurt they carry, Forget without addressing the issues and seeking closure, It is not easy, When you face somethings and lack people to talk to it can run you crazy. People come here to share because as a society we have failed, we judge, we tell them "get over it already" we gossip about them behind their backs. emotional pain is real, worse than physical pain
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
I'm not religious so I'm the last person you want to begin arguing with about Pastor or Imam Issues - whatever the case maybe and what not.

If your father raped you at age 5, and you are 30 years old and don't forgive your dad for raping you. Your father dies unexpectedly --- who do you go to for closure?

Closure means many things to people and forgiveness is not so that you can explain yourself to the other person or get the person to understand your point of view because they have offended you....because even so, they may never comprehend your pov.
You forgive for yourself. So that YOU can move on. Even if the person is dead, you can tell the universe that you have forgiven or do things ceremoniously to prove that you've forgiven.

Life is what it is but many adults carry burdens from their child hood because they can't forgive. I am not going to sit here and say forgiveness is easy. Sometimes people might not even know that they have issues - true. But to those who know - forgive and move on.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 9:04pm On Sep 27, 2012
I'm not sure if the Nigerian culture values counseling/therapy at least it doesn't take place in a formal setting and with a certified persons....

I think however happens informally with friends, families, many also use Pastors as therapists. A culture change needs to happen "when" no one knows. But it the mean time, forgiveness needs to happen thru purposeful memory loss or "spiritual means."
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2012
obowunmi: I'm not sure if the Nigerian culture values counseling/therapy at least it doesn't take place in a formal setting and with a certified persons....

I think however happens informally with friends, families, many also use Pastors as therapists. A culture change needs to happen "when" no one knows. But it the mean time, forgiveness needs to happen thru purposeful memory loss or "spiritual means."
True, but we do have a real problem, so many angry adults moving around with unresolved issues, pouring acids, tongue lashing and verbally degrading others. A lot is wrong, recognizing and accepting it is the first step. There are so many angry people moving around, ready to remove their shirt and fight at the slightest offense.
our current method is obviously not working, we have to stop trying to make people "live with it" and "forget it" and start to get them to open up. Angry people everywhere, traffic, drivers, policemen/ women, soldiers, pastors, everyone is seen as a potential enemy, we see evil in others first and have to be convinced before we can see good in anyone. This especially is a sign of unresolved issues, when you have been so hurt that you find it hard to see good in others then there are deep unresolved issues. Some people are strong and can get over anything, some are not and just push it back and with every situation they replay it back and apply to the current situation.

1 Like

Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 10:05pm On Sep 27, 2012
Ma'am you know I am secretly in love with you so - I couldn't agree more.

But how does one begin to change this culture? Where to begin?
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
obowunmi: Ma'am you know I am secretly in love with you so - I couldn't agree more.

That is why I started this thread, first to understand more of the problem from the mans perspective then train my own boys better, See how I can support a programme on this issue.
So many Women support projects, none for men, even if it is just a place to talk and get the pain and burden off their minds.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 10:58pm On Sep 27, 2012
Will men show up for therapy?
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Johndoe100(m): 11:23pm On Sep 27, 2012
obowunmi: Ma'am you know I am secretly in love with you so - I couldn't agree more.

Wow debrief and her "baby" lover who has declared his love for her. This is what this section has become. angry angry angry angry

Meanwhile lets be educated about violence by the the cabal.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 7:36am On Sep 28, 2012
Johndoe100:

Wow debrief and her "baby" lover who has declared his love for her. This is what this section has become. angry angry angry angry

Meanwhile lets be educated about violence by the the cabal.

You mean "young"? LoooL - funny bloke.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Claus(m): 10:14am On Sep 28, 2012
debrief08:
That is why I started this thread, first to understand more of the problem from the mans perspective then train my own boys better, See how I can support a programme on this issue.
So many Women support projects, none for men, even if it is just a place to talk and get the pain and burden off their minds.

Very commendable. I think if it were left to men, there would be no talking, counselling etc. However, these things work. It might be necessary to get men involved in leading the initiative though. Being a man and from what I know of other guys, it's very difficult to show weakness and put oneself in a vulnerable position where there are women around. Society really frowns on the so called "weak" men, so every man is programmed to go around pretending they are strong even if they are dying inside.

If you look at suicide statistics, men are in the overwhelming majority.

obowunmi: Will men show up for therapy?

From my experience, the place I've seen where men open up to each other is where there are other men that they trust.
It could obviously start small, until word gets round. It needs to be a non-judgemental environment where they can really explore the issues affecting them. I know this thread started with a focus on domestic abuse, but other areas would be useful as well.

2 Likes

Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 28, 2012
Claus:

Very commendable. I think if it were left to men, there would be no talking, counselling etc. However, these things work. It might be necessary to get men involved in leading the initiative though. Being a man and from what I know of other guys, it's very difficult to show weakness and put oneself in a vulnerable position where there are women around. Society really frowns on the so called "weak" men, so every man is programmed to go around pretending they are strong even if they are dying inside.

If you look at suicide statistics, men are in the overwhelming majority.

From my experience, the place I've seen where men open up to each other is where there are other men that they trust.
It could obviously start small, until word gets round. It needs to be a non-judgemental environment where they can really explore the issues affecting them. I know this thread started with a focus on domestic abuse, but other areas would be useful as well.
I like you, You are very intelligent and forward thinking. Good ideas
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by maclatunji: 3:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
coogar:

LMFSO!
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by maclatunji: 3:55pm On Sep 28, 2012
ifyalways: @Afam, I'll try to break it down.
Some men, I'm sorry to say are stoopid when they are in love. They downgrade themselves, take all and every poo a girl throws at them just because they (think) they are in love. They hurt but because the seex is good or the girl is pretty hang on to relationships that are not healthy.

2 years down the line, they are married to the same girl and you expect the girl to change?no one should be blinded or foolish just Cos s/he is in love. Once you smell abuse, firmly put your feet down and nip it in the bud. No glossing over or overlooking.

I daresay it goes for both sexe, don't tolerate or give anyone room/power to abuse you.

its neither fear nor cowardice but I know that there are certain lines I dare not cross with my husband. He gets my 100% respect because he deserves it and its mutual.

Afam, if as a man, you don't know how to be firm and lead a woman in love, you have no business getting married. You don't have to be a commando, "rule" over your house or turn your home to a barracks either. Just be a Man. . . to the letter.

Sincerely applauding.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Ivynwa(f): 2:08pm On Sep 30, 2012
Some men, I'm sorry to say are stoopid when they are in love. They downgrade themselves, take all and every poo a girl throws at them just because they (think) they are in love. They hurt but because the seex is good or the girl is pretty hang on to relationships that are not healthy.

2 years down the line, they are married to the same girl and you expect the girl to change?no one should be blinded or foolish just Cos s/he is in love. Once you smell abuse, firmly put your feet down and nip it in the bud. No glossing over or overlooking.

I daresay it goes for both sexe, don't tolerate or give anyone room/power to abuse you.

its neither fear nor cowardice but I know that there are certain lines I dare not cross with my husband. He gets my 100% respect because he deserves it and its mutual.

Afam, if as a man, you don't know how to be firm and lead a woman in love, you have no business getting married. You don't have to be a commando, "rule" over your house or turn your home to a barracks either. Just be a Man. . . to the letter.

I have a close opinion to this when it comes to marital abuse/violence. A man doesn't really need to be aggressive to be a man and vice versa. I think both husbands and wives should be able to draw the line of what they can tolerate from another and in my own words I coined it that "it is the length of the shoulder you give to another that they lean on". One should appreciate one's dignity enough to address such issues when it arises and not allow themselves to become punching bags for another violent human being. No one should cower and keep allowing his/her spouse dehumanize him/her.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by QueenAw(f): 11:24pm On Sep 30, 2012
Mental & physical abuse knows no gender!
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by obowunmi(m): 12:29am On Oct 01, 2012
Everyone then is a verbal, mental, and emotional abuser. In places like Nigeria where communication and dialogue is not encouraged, most people are verbal, mental, and emotional abusers.

My advice is not to run away immediately. Try to visit a counselor, therapist, pastor, with this person before calling it quits because no one is perfect.

I have an Uncle that beat his wife's self esteem so low - I feel bad for her. Her only claim to being alive is that she's been married for 70 years plus and how many women can be married that long! Everyone should get their priorities right. We ARE, WHO we attract.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 30, 2012
obowunmi: We ARE, WHO we attract.

I completely agree with that.

@op, I was once in a relationship where I was emotionally traumatized by the girl. I loved her to bits, but was never sure where I stood with her. A number of times she'd break off communication for so long that I'd be going a little crazy trying to reach her. She had myriad rules that I was forever being accused of breaking (given what they were, breaking them was pretty much a given).

She implied somehow that she disliked my eagerness to please. In fact, though I cannot quite remember any instance in which she said so, I slowly came to grips with the fact that she wanted me to toughen up. I now appreciate the role of the man, but back then toughening up actually meant caring less about her. It seems to me now that the options then were: (a) be the bit.ch or (b) make her the bit.ch.

Once I subscribed to that, the relationship began to nosedive. It's a really terrible thing now when I look back. Her silences (Gawd, she was proficient at those) were agonizing. Her mystery was maddening. In many more ways than I can think now, I suffered in that relationship. And the funny thing is that I kept thinking that I was the one doing things wrong, not being everything that I should be etc. There was so much intrigue and yet, I couldn't believe that she was playing games with me or manipulating me in any way.

Now that I look back, I wonder.

3 Likes

Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 3:11am On Oct 30, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I completely agree with that.

Once I subscribed to that, the relationship began to nosedive. It's a really terrible thing now when I look back. Her silences (Gawd, she was proficient at those) were agonizing. Her mystery was maddening. In many more ways than I can think now, I suffered in that relationship. And the funny thing is that I kept thinking that I was the one doing things wrong, not being everything that I should be etc. There was so much intrigue and yet, I couldn't believe that she was playing games with me or manipulating me in any way.

Now that I look back, I wonder.
Where is she now? people like her never get married lol grin
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Genius100: 6:19am On Oct 30, 2012

First, your advise may work to a certain extent in Nigeria because the society generally keep women in check. In the western world, first off, the woman may not neccesarily see the man as the head of the household. Second, if a man tries to be firm and the woman replies him with a volley of abuse, what do you want the man to do? Being firm and all works when the woman responds to the firmness. When she doesn't, your only option is to leave the marriage which isn't easy especially when kids are involved.

Most men just want a peaceful home. Constant nagging and complaining is very excruciating for a man. This issue is so serious that even the bible recognizes the issue in several instances. In Proverbs, it says it is better to live in the desert than to live with a nagging wife. A man can be firm all he wants and check his woman, but when she continues to nag, complain or act in an unreasonable manner constantly, it's almost like your life is getting sucked out of you.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 7:45am On Oct 30, 2012
Genius100:

First, your advise may work to a certain extent in Nigeria because the society generally keep women in check. In the western world, first off, the woman may not neccesarily see the man as the head of the household. Second, if a man tries to be firm and the woman replies him with a volley of abuse, what do you want the man to do? Being firm and all works when the woman responds to the firmness. When she doesn't, your only option is to leave the marriage which isn't easy especially when kids are involved.

Most men just want a peaceful home. Constant nagging and complaining is very excruciating for a man. This issue is so serious that even the bible recognizes the issue in several instances. In Proverbs, it says it is better to live in the desert than to live with a nagging wife. A man can be firm all he wants and check his woman, but when she continues to nag, complain or act in an unreasonable manner constantly, it's almost like your life is getting sucked out of you.

I agree. Plus, I think that "firm" in such cases easily translates to "cow her". It's really tricky dealing with abuse, whether one is the man or the woman.

I hate the thought of breaking up relationships, but if the cost of remaining in one is the very essence of it, why bother? Kuku leave na and save yourself some very costly regret. You stay, you might begin to retaliate with your physical advantage and end up the abuser or you might get emasculated. Either way, you are still not gaining the relationship. So, what's the point? Better you walk away and pull yourself together.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 30, 2012
Donlittle: Where is she now? people like her never get married lol grin

smiley We're both still quite young. So, she still might.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 30, 2012
Every man cannot be a toughie, a man's biological make up may make him a cool and docile person. Such men get pushed around but find nuthing wrong with it.
Actually u shld be telling ur fellow women to stop being nags and shld be submissive. Dat way we wouldn't have an abused man in d first place.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by peleson: 4:57am On Mar 15, 2013
This topic is about abuse by women to men n NOT by wife to husband.
What happens to those that have been abused verbally or otherwise by step mothers, elder sisters , aunts, brothers wife etc.
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by biolabee(m): 5:56am On Mar 15, 2013
peleson: This topic is about abuse by women to men n NOT by wife to husband.
What happens to those that have been abused verbally or otherwise by step mothers, elder sisters , aunts, brothers wife etc.

if you have any experience to share along that line, it will be cool also.

Abuse is abuse no matter the medium
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by peleson: 8:00am On Mar 15, 2013
biolabee:

Ofcos abuse is abuse but the thread has narrowed it down to wife n husband
Re: Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? by biolabee(m): 9:13am On Mar 15, 2013
biolabee:

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Wife Mistakenly Calls Husband Her Ex Boyfriend's Name. Pls Advice. / #InternationalWomensDay: Happy International Women's Day / Baby Born With Big B**bs Sparks Reaction On Social Media! (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.