Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,351 members, 7,957,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:11 AM

How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? (11926 Views)

Pls What Is The Function Of Hood/bonnet Front Cover? / Man Climbs On Bonnet Of Car In Ibadan Over N50 This Morning (Photos) / love-vendor My Car Hood (bonnet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by daygee1(m): 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2012
This gist walahi draws much attention to how the audience perceive the question .
Nevertheless although i check under the hood each time i need to take out the vehicle mostly each morning.But as i read this there was a churning in my tommy that shocked shocked shocked.. with boko .... countrywide. Abeg a word is enough to check possibly underneath your entire vehicle b4 u begin ignition. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 29, 2012
pannyman: When I was learning to drive, one of the first things I was taught was to check my oil and water first thing in the morning before starting the car. Now that I own my own car I do that three or for times a week. Ideally, it should be everyday.

I have noticed that most drivers take things for granted and never look under the bonnet in the morning with disastrous consequences sometimes. I know how many times my vigilance has paid off, helping me detect leaky poor quality oil filters. Drivers should spare just two minutes and check their coolant and oil levels to avoid rude shocks from their cars.

You are lucky, when i learnt driving, i was never instructed to check my bonnet. It cost me an engine and since then, i check under my bonnet at least 3-4times weekly. Now am in charge of my car's behaviour.

This is very important especially in Nigeria where we drive used cars.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 29, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

once every month is alright depending on journeys you do. eg if you do 2 or 3 long journeys per week then you should check oil and water levels every week, if the journeys are local then once every month is a right

the everyday one means something is wrong with your car if its losing oil or cooliant etc on daily basic

I drove my car for the first 2 years without lifting my hood. I did it like once in 3 months and whenever I did, oil and water levels remained same so i never thought it was important. As time went on, car parts wore and got older, my water pump dealt a death blow on my engine and that day the radiator ran empty. I lost that engine 2months later.

Checking it regularly doesnt mean your car is bad. Its a precaution especially if you are driving a used car.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:33am On Sep 29, 2012
okpara ugo:

I drove my car for the first 2 years without lifting my hood. I did it like once in 3 months and whenever I did, oil and water levels remained same so i never thought it was important. As time went on, car parts wore and got older, my water pump dealt a death blow on my engine and that day the radiator ran empty. I lost that engine 2months later.

Checking it regularly doesnt mean your car is bad. Its a precaution especially if you are driving a used car.

checking daily can be a habit or you dont trust your car meaning you aint sure of its condition but if you know that your car well that you can check once every month or weekly not everyday
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 29, 2012
okpara ugo:

It could well mean you don't have confidence in your car.

All my cars (three) are used, but I don't check under the hood so frequently. Once a month, or even once every couple of months, just to top up my screen wash. Otherwise, my cars don't use any oil, coolant, ATF, hydraulic fluid or power steering fluid between services.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 29, 2012
There's been a lot of hogwash on this thread.

I just hope that OP will manage to sift the chaff from the wheat.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by lukkie(m): 9:27pm On Sep 30, 2012
pro01: Well, these days I always check my engine in the mornings - for fear of having rats cause serious damage in the engine if I start the car without checking. There has been an influx of huge rats in my compound of late, and they particularly enjoy the 'cosy' ambience and warmth of the car engines - especially those parked for more than a day or two without use. Just last week my fan belt got damaged when I started the engine with a huge rat stuck within the fan belt. Thankfully though, the intruder got decapitated instantly as fair punishment.

By the way, I was wondering how one can make one's engines less attractive to rodents? I'm tired of their unlawful habitation abeg.

Forget it. Nothing will chase rats permanently away from your car's engine bay - camphor, conc peppermint oil etc, at least not 9ja rats, they'll always come back. You need to take the war to the damn rats - but not with roadside rat poison or glue o. If you live in Lagos, i'll describe where you can get some strong anti-rodent poisons which farmers use. And don't worry about their numbers, even if they're 200, they'll all die off. I had the problem sometime ago but after a lot of wasted efforts & money, all it took was just N200 to get rid of them.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2012
lukkie:

Forget it. Nothing will chase rats permanently away from your car's engine bay - camphor, conc strawberry oil etc, at least not 9ja rats, they'll always come back. You need to take the war to the damn rats - but not with roadside rat poison or glue o. If you live in Lagos, i'll describe where you can get some strong anti-rodent poisons which farmers use. And don't worry about their numbers, even if they're 200, they'll all die off. I had the problem sometime ago but after a lot of wasted efforts & money, all it took was just N200 to get rid of them.

Aha. Thankfully, someone else has experienced this problem; I'm at my wits end as far as this issue goes abeg. My neighbours and I have tried everything possible to no avail. I hope those anti-rodent poisons you talked about are not flammable. . .I reckon some of these pesticides can cause a fire in one's engine if care is not taken. Abeg tell me the N200 solution that worked for you oh. . .I go buy you 5 bottles of big stout with Isi-Ewu to express my gratitude if it works for me.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Ikenna351(m): 10:03pm On Sep 30, 2012
pro01:

Aha. Thankfully, someone else has experienced this problem; I'm at my wits end as far as this issue goes abeg. My neighbours and I have tried everything possible to no avail. I hope those anti-rodent poisons you talked about are not flammable. . .I reckon some of these pesticides can cause a fire in one's engine if care is not taken. Abeg tell me the N200 solution that worked for you oh. . .I go buy you 5 bottles of big stout with Isi-Ewu to express my gratitude if it works for me.

5 Big 1759? Since when did he become your enemy? Lol!

Don't mind me. Thats my brand too.

This Rat thing! I haven't driven my 605 V6 for sometime now. Am scared to open the bonnet, for fear of seeing the engine bay in shambles.

I think, the colder an engine bay, the possibility of Rats invasion becomes high. Am not sure, though.

Ikenna.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by lukkie(m): 7:31am On Oct 01, 2012
It's not flammable at all. It's still rat poison but not the regular types you buy in traffic. Go to CMS bust stop in Lagos and walk towards outer Marina (around where bros Fash "arrested" that BRT-lane-passing soldier that day), then cross the pedestrian bridge to the other side. Under the bridge you'll find many people selling stuff. Just ask for the baba selling rat poison. I call him a rat consultant cos all he needs is a description of the type of rat you want to get rid of and he'll give you the appropriate poison. Just sprinkle it on sliced bread and turn it upside down around your car. You can as well use boiled rice. Repeat for as long as you see the rats. The man will make you promise to come and give him the testimony later. LOL

Please keep the poison away from kids o - they're very potent. And if you guys keep your trash in front of your house, you might want to get a drum with cover. That's the no 1 thing that attract rats. All the best!
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Ikenna351(m): 4:24pm On Oct 04, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Better For Uber/Taxify? Honda Accord Or Honda City? / Chevrolet Launches Unlimited Data Plan For 4G LTE Vehicles / 8 Driving Requirements For Tourists And Visitors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.