Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,009 members, 7,835,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. (1985 Views)

How To Break Up With Your Partner With Style And Sensitivity / Women And Over-sensitivity: What Did I Do Wrong..... / How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by ufobabe(f): 11:43am On Jan 16, 2008
[size=16pt]
We all know breaking up is hard to do. But unless you're Ross and Rachel, or some teen romance turned happily-ever-after, breaking up is an unavoidable part of life. And while it's up to you to decide what your individual breakup style is, if you want to avoid future bad relationship karma, you'll adopt a few breakup basics.

STEPS

1.    Pick an appropriate place. The less public, the better. Remember, ending a relationship is a humbling experience. Don't do it in a place where the person on the receiving end is going to feel more vulnerable than necessary.

2.      Choose the right time. Avoid holidays and special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries at all costs. Do you really want your ex remembering your insensitivity every time that day rolls around?

3.   Do it in person. If the relationship is relatively new, maybe you can get away breaking up over the phone. But come on, if you've been out on more than a handful of dates, isn't that kind of harsh?

4.   Be honest but sensitive. No one likes to get dumped. But we at least appreciate the truth when it's over. Unless, of course, the truth is you've stopped finding him/her attractive, you've met someone better, or that you're just plain bored with the relationship.

5.   Keep your emotions in check. Don't seem too happy about the breakup: you'll come off as mean-spirited. Just be kind, caring, and considerate. If you must, you can high five your friends later.

6.   Don't react. Some people don't handle rejection well. Some people yell, scream, cry. Yes, that sucks. But it doesn't mean you should react to their meltdown. Remember, rejection is tough. You've already got the upper hand by being the dumper. Let the dumpee behave ridiculously if they choose to. And if their tantrum escalates, get the heck out of there!

TIPS

Many people feel that it is poor etiquette to break up by phone, e-mail, or through an instant messenger system. It is easier to break up with someone if you don't have to look the person in the eye, but you may lose the respect of your mutual friends if you take the easy way out.

·    If you handle yourself well during the breakup, chances are you'll avoid any hard feelings with your ex. And while that may not seem so important at the time, it's vital to your future relationship karma!

·    The term "break-up" implies a hard stop. But, often, a break-up is really a change in the nature of a relationship, where friendship remains, but a closer physical connection, and a desire to build a life together, is taken away. Try to look at breaking up in a more positive way, and see how it can transform your relationship.

·     Think about why you want to break up with them (e.g., you may suspect/hear rumors that they are cheating on you).

·    Ask them FIRST. Everybody hates when you break up with them for a reason that isn't even true.

·       Think about how maybe if you want out, they might too. Ask them where they think it's going. If something is making being together painful, tell them that being together is hurting you (e.g., long-distance relationships).

.          Although it says above pick a private place, this can sometimes lead to emotional conversations that end in sex and another miserable month of "trying to make it work". If it's really over (see warning one), meet in a quiet public place local to the other person for a drink or a coffee. Tell them straight away and succinctly that the reason you're here is to say its over and why - be honest, give the true reason e.g. nothing you do will make up for the fact that you slept with someone else/the fact that you weren't there to pick me up from the hospital after my operation was the last straw, i need someone more dependable etc. Then leave money on the table to cover both drinks and leave. Do not cry until you're far away. Do not call them AT ALL for two weeks - this helps to get some distance.

·                       Don't tell other people about it until after.

WARNINGS

·      Weigh in carefully on your decision to break up, without analyzing it to death. Is this really what your heart wants? You may not be able to reverse your decision once it's made, and you may burn bridges in the process. Could you forgive yourself if you broke up with the man/woman of your dreams?

·                       Avoid cliches. If the person has heard it before, it may come off as insensitive.
[/size][/size]
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2008
hahahahahahahahahahahhaha @ 'How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity.

Geeeeez
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by efuah(f): 5:02pm On Jan 16, 2008
ufobabe, nice piece. . . i have to print a learn real well, gat some assignment to do grin tongue kidding
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by akiro(m): 8:07am On Jan 17, 2008
Nice tips. Well configured, but i think the Nigerian experience demand a much better rules for dis-engagement. With due respect to our wonderful Nigerian ladies, i think breaking up with them takes a lot more than was expatiated above.
[sub][/sub]luv y all
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by bebe2007(m): 11:35am On Jan 17, 2008
akiro:

Nice tips. Well configured, but i think the Nigerian experience demand a much better rules for this-engagement. With due respect to our wonderful Nigerian ladies, i think breaking up with them takes a lot more than was expatiated above.
[sub][/sub]love y all

I do not think Naija gals are that hard to break up with o!!! go try Liberian babes first, then you go know how far. If anything i feel Naija babes are better off o! cuz we have got pride. Nobody wants to be seen as weak here, beign a tough babe is a plus.
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by atutupoyo(f): 5:09pm On Jan 17, 2008
Hi break-up is difficult but this tips are really good and nice. It true breaking up with Naija gals is not difficult, they take it easy and in stride.
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by banni: 3:51pm On Feb 27, 2008
While this is written by the white man , considering how much of our culture is influenced by them it holds true.

This is about breaking an engagement and few extra pointers for Nigeria might be needed as our engagement is an introduction and involves other factors .

http://www.ehow.com/how_2073564_break-engagement.html?ref=fuel

But in general its not as hard as you might think.Nigerian girls have pride and will not want to look like she is "begging" in public.
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by opokonwa(m): 4:36pm On Feb 27, 2008
I wonder why a lecture on break-up tactics undecided
Is that the in-thing now?
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Chimezie198(m): 11:25pm On Jan 31, 2012
@Op thanx for d tutorial. Oya wey dat my girlfriend?
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by teefash01(m): 1:52am On Feb 01, 2012
all dis na long process, break the communication gap and see what happens , you go fear fear na
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Chimezie198(m): 10:23am On Feb 01, 2012
^ guy no be lie.
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 12:53pm On Feb 01, 2012
Invite your partner for a movie date at home. Choose a romantic drama. You must tell your partner that you want to show them your favourite scene. Fast forward to the break up scene. Raise the volume. Afterwards, nod solemnly and tell them, "I agree with that guy/girl"
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 12:59pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Invite your partner for a movie date at home. Choose a romantic drama. You must tell your partner that you want to show them your favourite scene. Fast forward to the break up scene. Raise the volume. Afterwards, nod solemnly and tell them, "I agree with that guy/girl"

Zingolo. sweeery did he dum u? undecided
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 1:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
No, I heard that it happened to you Mr Kook. See, this method is not insensitive, Mr Kook has maintained his confidence
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by slimyem: 2:14pm On Feb 01, 2012
op,the magnitude of the pain and hurt after break-up will not be ruduced no matter how much stlye and sensitivity is employed in the course of the break-up.
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 2:21pm On Feb 01, 2012
Slimyem. zingolo is ugly. can i date u? wink
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 3:00pm On Feb 01, 2012
Mr Cork you really are a born again idi0t!
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 3:12pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Mr Cork you really are a born again idi0t!

rejection hurts? Just becoz I dont want u makes me an idi0t? white babes dont act like that! undecided
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2012
Mr, Cork:

rejection hurts? Just becoz I dont want u makes me an idi0t? white babes dont act like that! undecided
Idi0t! Where have I written that I wanted you? You kept on making advances towards me and I told you to pi$$ off. Now shurrup man! Your halitosis is killing me, eeew!
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Idi0t! Where have I written that I wanted you? You kept on making advances towards me and I told you to pi$$ off. Now shurrup man! Your halitosis is killing me, eeew!

Zongolodo.  ermmm sweeery u been chasin me for 2 month.  Check your calendar!! undecided
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 3:38pm On Feb 01, 2012
Mr Cork, I'm sorry but it's actually the other way round. Who's the one that was replying to me after I posted here? I wasn't looking for you when I posted here, dumbo, so stay on your lane!
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 01, 2012
Good break up tips
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 3:50pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Mr Cork, I'm sorry but it's actually the other way round. Who's the one that was replying to me after I posted here? I wasn't looking for you when I posted here, dumbo, so stay on your lane!

which lane? does this place looklike a market? sweeery i rather date Mrs Chima than to toast u! angry
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 3:53pm On Feb 01, 2012
Bye!
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 4:01pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Bye!

zolzlolz<<<<<<< She wants me. they all do! wink
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by zolzlolz(f): 4:13pm On Feb 01, 2012
Mr Kook, your ego is larger than you brain-which is tiny anyway. You brag about the women who allegedly want you, then you derail this thread to talk about yourself-bla bla bla me me me bla bla bla nkwa nkwa wa wa! No gives a damn, so just go away already!
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 4:32pm On Feb 01, 2012
zolzlolz:

Mr Kook, your ego is larger than you brain-which is tiny anyway. You brag about the women who allegedly want you, then you derail this thread to talk about yourself-bla bla bla me me me bla bla bla nkwa nkwa wa wa! No gives a damn, so just go away already!

Zulgolo. Sweery I met Beyounsi back stage in 2008 when she was still ugly.  I was a DJ. They (Destiny Children) came to London to perform at a place called Camden Palace.  When I wazx introuduced to her after the show, she said I waz goood lookin and asked if I waz single.  Sweeery am a lover not a fighter.  Act like a white lady for once and I swaaar you will take me home! wink
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by MrCork17: 6:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
not sure if i broke up with my chick or she broke up with me undecided
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Brightmind: 11:01pm On Feb 01, 2012
very fine piece, though i dont hope to find it useful at any time, but is about quality
Re: How To Break Up With Someone Using Style And Sensitivity. by Mynd44: 11:29pm On Feb 01, 2012
This thread is older than me

(1) (Reply)

Single! Why the Unseriousness in RELATIONSHIPS When One Is? / What Is Important To A Girl U Love Most? / How Many Ladies/guys Have U Dated So Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.