Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,251 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. (17296 Views)

Doyin Okupe Blasts Osinbajo:"You Lied In Church That Jonathan Built No Road'(pic / SSA To Saraki, Omishore Lied In His Tweet About El-Rufai - Olatunde Bakare / Senate President Saraki Lied In His Official Election Forms - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 01, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan lied to the world in his Independence Day anniversary speech about gains his administration has made in the fight against corruption, a PREMIUM TIMES investigations has revealed.
In what appears to be a major credibility stunt, President Jonathan read a speech in which he scored his government high on all sides.
In order to make his good performance appear holistic, the president included in his speech that global corruption watchdog, Transparency International, has endorsed and praised his administration’s war against corruption.
Mr. Jonathan said, “…the fight against the scourge of corruption is a top priority of our administration.

“We are fighting corruption in all facets of our economy, and we are succeeding. We have put an end to several decades of endemic corruption associated with fertilizer and tractor procurement and distribution.  We have exposed decades of scam in the management of pensions and fuel subsidy, and ensured that the culprits are being brought to book,” he added.
To give his claims international credibility, the presidents then said: “In its latest report, Transparency International (TI) noted that Nigeria is the second most improved country in the effort to curb corruption.”
The lie

PREMIUM TIMES contacted Transparency International seeking a copy of its latest report which the President referred to in his speech.

The group replied promptly disowning Mr. Jonathan and saying it had no such report.
“Transparency International does not have a recent rating or report that places Nigeria as the second most improved country in the fight against corruption,” the group said in an email to this newspaper.
The group said its most recent indexing of Nigeria’s corruption activities was in the 2011 Corruption Perceptions Index, which measuresd perceived level of public sector corruption i the country.
In that index, Nigeria scored 2.4 on a scale where 0 means highly corrupt and 10 means very clean. It was ranked 143 out of 183 countries.

That rating was actually a dip in performance for Nigeria as the country was rated 134 out of 183 countries the previous year, 2010.
The president’s spokesperson would not comment for this story. The Special Adviser on Media, Reuben Abati as well as the Special Assistant on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, did not answer or return calls.
They also did not reply text messages sent to their telephones.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/102095-president-jonathan-lied-in-independence-anniversary-broadcast.html

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by pheesayor(m): 7:04pm On Oct 01, 2012
and some fools aresuporting gej on facebook even though it is glaring he lied. e go better is really making us bitter

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by feelamong(m): 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2012
Why am I not surprised? Naija is a nation of lies.. Where lies are told everyday and we all take the lies as truth! Moreover The nation Nigeria was founded on lies! Read the history of how Lord Lugard and his girlfriend Miss Shaw told lies to the queen which subsequently led to the almagamation of the northern and sourthern protectorates which was named Nigeria! Tufia!!

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Bolinco(m): 7:25pm On Oct 01, 2012
Fighting corruption indeed...,after al d inocent nigerians hav die, lose of people and properties is al wat u do in dis ur admistration.GEj u 2 de lie,may d lord of lie 4giv u.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 01, 2012
I wonder where Agent Beef and co are hiding. Let them come and defend this glaring lie.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by taharqa: 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2012
I have gone through the both articles thoroughly.

I was amongst the 1st persons that brought this article to this forum after I read it on BusinessDay
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/44406-fgs-anti-corruption-initiative-impacts-nigerias-global-perception

I thought( and so did every person who commented on the article) that the article was a latest report by TI but even if it was, it apparently was not saying exactly what I nor any of the commenters were thinking: it seems that the article was talking about the period 2001-2011. I regret my own mistake.

It seems the president was also in similar fashion ill-advised; so except the Presidency have their own source( and if PremiumTimes is actually correct), they should swiftly admit the mistake and move forward. It happens. Obama is presently battling the 'lies' he was said to have said about what he knew about the people who carried out the Libyan Embassy attacks(its a hot topic in America presently and one that might bear on the elections though Romney himself is unchallenged in the kind and number of 'lies' and gaffs he apparently have told ) while Cameron is also battling the 'lies' he personally twitted some time ago about the the Russians agreeing to ditch the Syrians or even the recent supposed protection of close aids undergoing prosecution. Again it happens with people in power.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/did-obama-lie-about-the-embassy-attacks/2012/09/27/2751f81e-083e-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_blog.html
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2012/06/cameron-obviously-lies-then-reuters-distributes-lie-as-news.html

Meanwhile, this slight indiscretion should not distract from the body of that speech including this part:

Even as we remain focused on the issue of security, the fight against the scourge of corruption is a top priority of our Administration. We are fighting corruption in all facets of our economy, and we are succeeding. We have put an end to several decades of endemic corruption associated with fertilizer and tractor procurement and distribution. We have exposed decades of scam in the management of pensions and fuel subsidy, and ensured that the culprits are being brought to book.

By the way, those people who have made it a point of duty to attack the person of the president in a really silly and naive move in order to undermine his presidency by scrutinizes every thing he does, says, feels, thinks( including those he didnt do, say etc) should know that they have failed just like your military arm( BOKO HARAM) is presently failing as shown by the pathetic plead of Abubakar Shakau yesterday:

While denying peace negotiation, the Boko Haram leader admitted that some of their members had been killed by security operatives.

“All I can confirm is that they are killing us rather than dialoguing with us,” he said.

It is only a matter of time , so mastur.bate away on this topic as much as you can

PS: The above is not directed at ordinary Nigerians whose complaints are only cos of their frustrations at not seeing the greatness that Nigeria deserves fast enough.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by FrankC3: 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2012
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/44406-fgs-anti-corruption-initiative-impacts-nigerias-global-perception

Open that link and be educated. Nigeria actually improved on global corruption perception rating and is one on the countries that made the most remarkable gain. Though i love the fact checking, it will better be appreciated if it is done with more open mind.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by moderatorr: 8:25pm On Oct 01, 2012
Haters will always find something.
If they cant, they will go out of their way to make it.

Goodluck is the president, Nigeria is visibly getting better.
Deal with both. Or die trying smiley

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by ifihearam: 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2012
Frank-C:

Open that link and be educated. Nigeria actually improved on global corruption perception rating and is one on the countries that made the most remarkable gain. Though i love the fact checking, it will better be appreciated if it is done with more open mind.

Guy you get time to dey respond to attention seeking bigots oo
what will my noble president do to please ingrates like the poster and the useless media that published it
Please think and hope right for this country and every go go well with una

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Basic(m): 8:30pm On Oct 01, 2012
GEJ may not have lied deliberately. He may have heard about the TI lie from our "cancerous" media.
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by jbrodaly(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2012
Jonah is always telling lies..Remember the independence bombing?Try thinking of the so many lies Himself and his cabinet keep telling Nigerians and you will find out that the list is endless.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by bizideas2(m): 8:32pm On Oct 01, 2012
Corruption is unstoppable in this country because it was corruption that brought them into power,so how do we expect them to fight it when they will use the same corruption to come back in 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by hbrednic: 8:34pm On Oct 01, 2012
make i waka pass,na only bad belle people dey house cool cool
today na independece day.
waiter, a bottle of jack daniel please.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Lakayana: 8:34pm On Oct 01, 2012
What if he did? who doesn't? Can you show me a politician who tells even the carbon copy of the truth.
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by lacasa: 8:35pm On Oct 01, 2012
As my mummy used to tell me

ALL LIARS GO TO ........

grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by kooto(m): 8:35pm On Oct 01, 2012
I think it is very unfortunate, that our president lied to Nigerians before the whole world,this act discredit him & Nigeria he can be termed untrustworthy, in all it's a BIG MINUS for us all as Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by segunjowo(m): 8:36pm On Oct 01, 2012
GEJ is a g**t.I stopped believing in him one week after he'd assumed the office of the president after Yaradua's demise. The guy is a no brainer, because only a no brainer lies to the followers in a country he leads! It is quite unfortunate that Nigerians didn't realize this man can NEVER lead us to the promise land from the onset, hence the 'self'acclaimed 'massive vote' he got from the poll 2011. If, after all these lies and the level of poverty this land currently is, the man attempt to seek re-election come 2015 and you(not me) vote for him, then you are on a long thing.
I have said it before: our destiny lies in our hands. In our thumbs!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by ABESINONIPO(m): 8:37pm On Oct 01, 2012
Yea my advice goes to all Nigerians..because the power to change our country for a better country lies extreemly on we the citizenry..To vote in those who are endowed with God fearing and selfless services,not those that think getting a government post is a medium of turning around their families and generations to financial fortunes..but i so much believe it will be fine with this country..God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by mrperfect(m): 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2012
He told Nigeria what he knows.
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by garba(m): 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2012
What else would you expect from a compulsive liar....?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2012
He did not lie!
Why do we enjoy insulting our President?
Go and get ur facts right.

One day, GEJ will shame all his critics!
Just because he's an Ijaw man! I can't wait for us to break out from this country, then the rest of you should enjoy credible leadership from the Abokis!

#LIVEfrom OtueKe!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Roland17(m): 8:44pm On Oct 01, 2012
Walks away whistling "Suffering and Smiling"

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by kurga(m): 8:46pm On Oct 01, 2012
Fighting corruption is he? He should start with reducing how much is allocated to him in the budget. A staggering N1B for just feeding. So much for fighting corruption
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by chucky234(m): 8:47pm On Oct 01, 2012
Why am I not surprised,hope Billyonaire have something to say about his master's many lies.
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by geogeous(f): 8:49pm On Oct 01, 2012
Am not really surprised. I find it funny though. If what op said was right...then its quite pathetic!
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by ifihearam: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2012
chucky234: Why am I not surprised,hope Billyonaire have something to say about his master's many lies.

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BOY
BTW WHERE U DEY SINCE NA grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 01, 2012
feelamong: Why am I not surprised? Naija is a nation of lies.. Where lies are told everyday and we all take the lies as truth! Moreover The nation Nigeria was founded on lies! Read the history of how Lord Lugard and his girlfriend Miss Shaw told lies to the queen which subsequently led to the almagamation of the northern and sourthern protectorates which was named Nigeria! Tufia!!
get over it,its been ninety eight years now,at least it was meant to bring three divided regions with similarities into one powerful nation.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lied In Independence Anniversary Broadcast. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 01, 2012
@bbpreye,spambot stop spamming,we get ur message loud and clear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ahmadu Bello And Obafemi Awolowo Pictured Together / Adebanjo Tells Tinubu, Osinbajo: Drop Your Ambition, It's Turn Of South-East / Naira Redesign: Senate Seeks Deadline Extension To June 30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.