Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,527 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments (17226 Views)

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model / Comments/complaints/suggestions / Transmission Issues In The 2006 Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by tundesto(m): 1:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
Somtimes when I change gear, acrid smell will come out of the bonnet until there will be clutch problem in my brother's car. What may be responsible for this? It has happened in virtually all manual cars I have driven.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 4:28pm On Nov 12, 2012
tundesto: Somtimes when I change gear, acrid smell will come out of the bonnet until there will be clutch problem in my brother's car. What may be responsible for this? It has happened in virtually all manual cars I have driven.

From your explanation (though not well explained and detailed), it appears you are damaging all the manual trans car you lay your hands on. The issue you explained is slippery clutch, caused by wrong clutch application.

Go and learn how to drive manual car properly before you handle anyother manual car.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Trac: 6:09am On Nov 18, 2012
bigx:

There's a question I always wanted to ask, what's engine braking? You guys have mentioned it a couple of times here.

It is nothing but a relationship between horsepower (brake), rev/min and torque and a change of dominant state. Torque and revolutions within a minute changes for every gearshift. You loose revolutions every time you downshift. Engine braking is what engineers and scientist would explicitly term as rotational inertia - because that is what it is.

Basically, inertia occurs at the transmission due to the principle (motion design/laws of physics) that the lower gear will definitely yields more revolutions per minute for the same acceleration. This is where the translation of energy occurs. The translation gives you a dynamic loss at the drive-train; this is rotational inertia (well, engine braking if you want to term it to this application). The manifestation is that the torque is flushed to you in the cabin due to the sudden translation of states. So basically, more RPM in exchange for acceleration.

This is the lean explanation.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by pafestula(m): 6:15am On Nov 19, 2012
Ninilowo:
Na the same qquestion me too dey ask oo! small time we go say Nigeria no progress.
Bros this is a matter of choice not matter of progress in the country, u re driving auto and u rate such as progress in the country, what abt country that drives gearless cars, that uses only buttons to transmit? E.g Range Rover Envogue 2012 etc many white men who loves to be stunt still love their manual always, likewise me I drives automatic and I love it with passion while my wife love manual, can u see now?
NOTE: The thread is not auto vs manual

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by efetoma(m): 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2012
Hi Ikenna,nid to 1st commend u 4 d gud work. More grease 2 ur elbow. Pls i av an issue wit my clutch....its pretty hard press compared to my bros Toyota. Do u av any idea wat cld b responsible 4 it & posible solutions 2 it. Its Honda 97(bullet)...and d clutch is Hydraulic. Tnx
Ikenna351: Manual Transmission or Tranny is known for its trouble-free. But that doesn't mean there won't be issues with clutch system, once in a while.

So, if you're having any issue with your manual transmission or comments on the transmission type, let's discuss it here.

Please, this thread is not about manual vs auto transmissions.

Ikenna.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
efetoma: Hi Ikenna,nid to 1st commend u 4 d gud work. More grease 2 ur elbow. Pls i av an issue wit my clutch....its pretty hard press compared to my bros Toyota. Do u av any idea wat cld b responsible 4 it & posible solutions 2 it. Its Honda 97(bullet)...and d clutch is Hydraulic. Tnx

If your hydraulic controlled clutch system is really that hard to depress, then the culprit would be the clutch pressure plate, what Nigerians call Clutch disc.

I can't think of anyother component aside this, for now.

Ikenna.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by efetoma(m): 7:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Tnx bro,my meckanic said same just wanted to be sure he knows wat he's saying. But must d gear be removed before it can be fixed? Tnx 1ce again
Ikenna351:

If your hydraulic controlled clutch system is really that hard to depress, then the culprit would be the clutch pressure plate, what Nigerians call Clutch disc.

Ikenna.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 7:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
efetoma: Tnx bro,my meckanic said same just wanted to be sure he knows wat he's saying. But must d gear be removed before it can be fixed? Tnx 1ce again

Yep.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by dannydevito(m): 6:22pm On Nov 25, 2012
compliments my bros car a 2007 corrolla just had a bad clutch plate, heard to replace this the gears ave to be broutgh down, pls how true is this
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by abdulkadir(m): 8:44pm On Jan 07, 2013
danny devito: compliments my bros car a 2007 corrolla just had a bad clutch plate, heard to replace this the gears ave to be broutgh down, pls how true is this
this is coming rather late; Clutch plate, clutch disc and release bearing; all three components are between d gear box & engine. so yes d gear box have to be dropped.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by auhanson(m): 8:30pm On Jul 13, 2013
I just started driving a manual car Benz c180 from last year November cos i have been longing to actually do that manual shifting like those guys u see in the car race..and believe me i have often enjoyed it so much on highways and freeways overtime,but not on holdups because my legs always felt like burning off in Port Harcourt hold up. Also i just switch from my auto benz 190e to this without any formal guide than the lessons i have been taking while travelling on commercial buses, understudying the drivers legs during shifting cos i regard them as expert in doing that but never had a chance to understudy one in a consistent hold up condition. My surprise too is that i handle this manual thing so swiftly to my surprise that it now acts like a kind of reflex thing.

My real fear use to be that of burning off the clutch..I have done maniac driving in the roughest of terrain;i have done sudden shifting from 4 to 1..i have done sudden downshifting from 5to4; 4to3 to overtake at little contest.Also, i have shifted almost immediately from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 to hide the engine noise but i'm so surprise that till date my clutch has refused to get burnt off despite the constant clutching down at holds that moves like snail and bomber to bomber maneuvering a times. So my question is, when exactly do clutches actually get burnt in order to guide against it?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 9:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
au.hanson:
I just started driving a manual car Benz c180 from last year November cos i have been longing to actually do that manual shifting like those guys u see in the car race..and believe me i have often enjoyed it so much on highways and freeways overtime,but not on holdups because my legs always felt like burning off in Port Harcourt hold up. Also i just switch from my auto benz 190e to this without any formal guide than the lessons i have been taking while travelling on commercial buses, understudying the drivers legs during shifting cos i regard them as expert in doing that but never had a chance to understudy one in a consistent hold up condition. My surprise too is that i handle this manual thing so swiftly to my surprise that it now acts like a kind of reflex thing.

My real fear use to be that of burning off the clutch.. but i'm so surprise that till date my clutch has refused to get burnt off despite the constant clutching down at holds that moves like snail and bomber to bomber maneuvering a times. So my question is when exactly do clutches actually get burnt in order to guide against it?

You will know when the time comes, that is, if it hasnt started sef! Clutch slippery is a gradual thing. An experienced driver with manual cars will know or tell when a clutch plate is failing. How the car moves from a standstill or how it sounds when each gear is pushed to its limits, is all one needs to tell a failing clutch plate.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by auhanson(m): 9:23pm On Jul 13, 2013
Ikenna351:

You will know when the time comes, that is, if it hasnt started sef! Clutch slippery is a gradual thing. An experienced driver with manual cars will know or tell when a clutch plate is failing. How the car moves from a standstill or how it sounds when each gear is pushed to its limits, is all one needs to tell a failing clutch plate.

Ikenna
It hasn't started.
what are the things i should avoid doing or am suppose to do inorder not to burn off?
I have done maniac driving in the roughest of terrain;i have done sudden shifting from 4 to 1..i have done sudden downshifting from 5to4; 4to3 to overtake at little contest.Also, i have shifted almost immediately from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 to hide the engine noise and all sort of manipulation. I dnt know if these actions can pose trait to the clutching system?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 9:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
au.hanson:

It hasn't started.
what are the things i should avoid doing or am suppose to do inorder not to burn off?
I have done maniac driving in the roughest of terrain;i have done sudden shifting from 4 to 1..i have done sudden downshifting from 5to4; 4to3 to overtake at little contest.Also, i have shifted almost immediately from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 to hide the engine noise and all sort of manipulation.

What you do with the clutch pedal determines the longevity of the clutch components, not just the clutch plate.

For a start, dont hold that pedal down too long each time you depress it.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by auhanson(m): 9:50pm On Jul 13, 2013
Ikenna351:

What you do with the clutch pedal determines the longevity of the clutch components, not just the clutch plate.

Ikenna

you know atimes in stiff but tense dragging holdup you cant help but hold it down while timing when you'll have an escape opportunity? Any solution to this?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
au.hanson:

you know atimes in stiff but tense dragging holdup you cant help but hold it down while timing when you'll have an escape opportunity? Any solution to this?

Hmm! *scratch my head* Emm! You know the answer to the question already, from what you have said. Abi you wan make I confirm am? grin

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by elektra80: 8:19am On Jul 18, 2013
Ikenna351:

In as much as Toyota is known for reliability, not every Nigerian will like to be associated with that badge. They choose to forego reliability for something else Toyotas lack or don't offer them.

What you regard as stress, is what another person finds awesome. Not everyone wants to be driven. Some wants to do the actual driving and be in total control of the vehicles on the road. Not everyone wants to be dummy on the steering, you know.

Like i earlier noted, this thread is not for auto vs manual transmissions. We have a thread for that. Visit the car talk Library for that.

Ikenna

@ikenna
I like reading ur posts but sometimes u get unnecessarily aggressive. Are u trying to say everybody that drives an automatic is a dummy? FYI its a thing of choice and why stress urself shifting gears especially in Lagos traffic when u can just drive automatic. Also the main reason some people think manual is better is because of take off time, but I can assure u, with CVT even manuals are not faster than automatics, and there's no way in the world shifting in a manual can be as smooth as automatic. So my brother, just because u like manual (for reasons best known to u) doesn't mean people that drive auto are dummies or wants to be driven. For me I don't see any fun in driving a manual apart from stress in traffics. The last time I owned a manual I stayed in redeem traffic for 6 hours and by the time I got home I couldn't feel my legs. Abeg what's the fun in that?
Also someone made a dumb comment saying Ferraris and lambos only make manual cars. Nowadays, supercars like ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc are ditching manual cars for autos because autos can now deliver as much as manual and its smoother. U might wanna check the link.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/127796/lamborghini-confirms-the-death-of-the-manual-supercar/
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Cyberknight: 8:32am On Jul 18, 2013
Real men drive manuals. grin. Maybe the contempt some have for autos stems from the fact that it is the bloody lazy Americans (whose cars are even built with cupholders to eat and drink on the move, for goodness sake), who like autos as compared to Europeans who still prefer manuals, even now that the difference in fuel consumption between the two isnt that much anymore. We Nigerians started our love affair with the automatic transmission in the 90s when more cars started being imported from America than Europe as was formerly the case (both brand new and the famous "Belgium" cars and parts). Now we are at the stage where manual cars sell for less than automatic cars here. I personally believe that driving a manual car keeps you more alert than driving an automatic one, apart from the performance issues, of course.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 8:56am On Jul 02, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ikenna
sorry ooh! Jus asking: holding d clutch down to d floor and holding it partially to avoid stalling, while stationary on hold up: which one wears d clutch out faster. Are u suggesting we put it in neutral each time? Or to off engine each time?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 10:06am On Jul 02, 2014
silvoice: sorry ooh! Jus asking: holding d clutch down to d floor and holding it partially to avoid stalling, while stationary on hold up: which one wears d clutch out faster. Are u suggesting we put it in neutral each time? Or to off engine each time?

Put it in Neutral whenever the car is not moving in the next 5 seconds, while engine is running, when at idle, hold up or traffic light.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 10:53am On Jul 02, 2014
silvoice: Holding d clutch down to d floor and holding it partially to avoid stalling, while stationary on hold up: which one wears d clutch out faster.
you'v not answered d question, oga ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 2:27pm On Jul 02, 2014
silvoice: sorry ooh! Jus asking: holding d clutch down to d floor and holding it partially to avoid stalling, while stationary on hold up: which one wears d clutch out faster. Are u suggesting we put it in neutral each time? Or to off engine each time?

silvoice: you'v not answered d question, oga ikenna

I answered one of the questions you asked, and not that I didnt answer the question.

If you must use your clutch or touch the clutch pedal while engine is running, you must depress the clutch pedal fully. I mean, the clutch pedal must touch the floor. Dpressing it half way would gradually damage the clutch pressure plate. And depending on the rpm, could also wear off/burn the clutch plate/disc faster. Your gearbox input spline may not like that as well.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ikenna351:

I answered one of the questions you asked, and not that I didnt answer the question.

If you must use your clutch or touch the clutch pedal while engine is running, you must depress the clutch pedal fully. I mean, the clutch pedal must touch the floor. Dpressing it half way would gradually damage the clutch pressure plate. And depending on the rpm, could also wear off/burn the clutch plate/disc faster. Your gearbox input spline may not like that as well.

Ikenna
good! Thanks 4 ur undastanding. More greese to ur elbow
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.
is it wrong to test ur gears by shifting from 1 to 5 while d car is off?
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 6:24am On Jul 05, 2014
silvoice: is it wrong to test ur gears by shifting from 1 to 5 while d car is off?

I don't understand. You mean while car is stationary and engine off?

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 8:41am On Jul 05, 2014
Ikenna351:

I don't understand. You mean while car is stationary and engine off?

Ikenna
yes
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2014
silvoice: yes

Then its safe. Nothing wrong with it.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by silvoice(m): 10:17am On Jul 05, 2014
Ikenna351:

Then its safe. Nothing wrong with it.

Ikenna
again, thanks. I Wish i know at least 60% about car repair. I will not need any mechanic again. I will just buy tools and repair my car when d need arises

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience With Carsbazr / Jaguar Land Rover Patents A Car That Predicts Weather And Adapts Accordingly / These Are The Dirtiest And The Most Germ-riddled Parts Of Your Car-By Motorpoint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.