Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments (17225 Views)

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model / Comments/complaints/suggestions / Transmission Issues In The 2006 Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by abdulkadir(m): 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
sulakishop: Seriously speaking, I have always wanted to ask this question: which out of auto or manual is beta for a starter (first time car owner) and why?
if u mean a new driver, i'll rather a manual.i seriously belive manual tranny makes u a better driver than the auto.
as a first time car owner with little driving experience still a manual, its more durable.
i have said dis much cos i kno ikenna and my other big ogas are following and will correct me if i am wrong.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by pafestula(m): 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
Hemanwel: Hi OP.Nice thread!Am a callow driver.My question is:
How do u knw dat dis car ur abt 2 drive is nt in gear or is in gear 1 without u askin?
Once again,nice thread!
U re indeed grade "A" callow.. Anyway when u starts driving, even without been told wen u see the gear postion as it stands, u would definatly grab it!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by SamMilla1(m): 10:16pm On Oct 05, 2012
I love the engine breaking system. It just reduces speed at an alarming rate.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by pafestula(m): 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
I must confess to u @ Ikenna351.. U re my real menthol wen it comes to auto discussion, I wanted to ask dis question last time I saw yr comment on auto discussion sometimes ago, " Pls re u an auto mechanical engeering guru? Or a car dealer? And how can I get in touch with u for either of my questions? @topic. Pls concerning the engine breaking logic, is there no any consequencies for such driving system to the engine? As in with that driving techiniques, hope is not sending wrong signal to the engine on the long run? Thanks.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 11:15pm On Oct 05, 2012
pafestula: I must confess to u @ Ikenna351.. U re my real menthol wen it comes to auto discussion, I wanted to ask dis question last time I saw yr comment on auto discussion sometimes ago, " Pls re u an auto mechanical engeering guru? Or a car dealer? And how can I get in touch with u for either of my questions? @topic. Pls concerning the engine breaking logic, is there no any consequencies for such driving system to the engine? As in with that driving techiniques, hope is not sending wrong signal to the engine on the long run? Thanks.

No, am neither an auto mechanic nor a car dealer. Am just a DIY car owner like every other person. I learnt these things while fixing my car myself. Though not every thing yet, but most of them. I also have special interest in it. I enjoy fixing my car. Its a hobby.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by pafestula(m): 11:26pm On Oct 05, 2012
Ikenna351:

No, am neither an auto mechanic nor a car dealer. Am just a DIY car owner like every other person. I learnt these things while fixing my car myself. Though not every thing yet, but most of them. I also have special interest in it. I enjoy fixing my car. Its a hobby.

Ikenna
Exactly what am trying to become about autos, and as for the question u never answer me concerning engine breaking stuff.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Unkl(m): 12:59am On Oct 06, 2012
Interesting thread.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by KA24DETT(m): 4:32am On Oct 06, 2012
InvertedHammer: What does high end sports car Ferraris, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. have in common?

MANUAL TRANSMISSION!

There you have it.

Ferraris dont make manual anymore, to get their 0-60 quoted, they have to get faster shift times.. With DCT (Double clutch transmission) the upshift is faster than anyone can shift on manual transmission.. Every automaker is on DCT ish now..

udefrancis: Who can tell me the use of gear 1,2 and some times 3 in Auto transmission then Turbo charged transmission and regular transmission?
Just put it in "grin". 1.2.3 just tells u the maximum gear the transmission can up-shift to. I use 2-3 during snow storm in Canada to increase traction. U can use it in nigeria to get out of a mud, get stuck, or when u coming down a steep heel and u dont want to gain speed. Just make sure u move back to "grin" when u done...
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 06, 2012
sulakishop: Seriously speaking, I have always wanted to ask this question: which out of auto or manual is beta for a starter (first time car owner) and why?
S✽̶ suprised τ̅☺  dis question. Manual of course, any beginner shld beta start ώį̸̸̨ƭƕ ɑ̤̥̈̊ manual S✽̶ as τ̅☺ get D̶̲̥̅̊ necessary skill, speed control, confidence etc.. S✽̶ dat switching τ̅☺ auto wiLl just ßΕ̲̣̣̣̥ ɑ̤̥̈̊ mata of abc. On D̶̲̥̅̊ other hand if U̶̲̥̅̊ start ώį̸̸̨ƭƕ auto Aπϑ forfeit D̶̲̥̅̊ above reqs... D¤n't even bother trying manual at all.. It ll ßΕ̲̣̣̣̥ ɑ̤̥̈̊ case of someone who doesn't understand fraction doing further maths...na death ßΕ̲̣̣̣̥ dat Oº°˚˚°ºoo. Manual is D̶̲̥̅̊ best bro# d¤n't get it twisted

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by VolvoS60(m): 8:02am On Oct 06, 2012
Funny thread.

It is true that learning how to drive with a manual transmission (MT) increases your range of options later on. You can switch to an auto transmission (AT) without any problems. Those who learn with ATs on the other hand cannot switch at will. Its a bit like engineering graduates who can move over to work in high finance without any issues, while finance graduates cannot even contemplate moving into engineering practice (without starting from scratch). tongue

Manual transmissions also make for real driver involvement, that much i agree. But when you factor in real world conditions, that's where the joy ends. I doubt if anyone would still be in love with manual transmissions after constantly shifting gears for up to 4 hours in slow moving, bumper to bumper traffic (the kind you find in Abuja and Lagos). I used a manual transmission in lagos' awful traffic for years until I found out one of my legs was getting shorter than the other. angry

I got an auto transmission and I have never looked back.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 8:13am On Oct 06, 2012
Please everyone,

I have said it twice that this thread is not auto vs manual transmissions. It's specifically manual transmission thread.

I will remove any post henceforth that preaches about auto transmission here.

If you want to talk about your auto transmission, do it here :
https://www.nairaland.com/555024/tips-car-maintenance-how-2

If your interest is comparing the two transmissions, do it here :
https://www.nairaland.com/547996/why-driving-manual-gear#7107973

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Cyberknight: 7:30am On Oct 07, 2012
Ironically, I'm not even qualified to post here, because after almost 20 years of driving manual cars, I have practically never had any trouble with my manual transmissions in ANY of the cars I have driven, except for one time I had to change all that clutch plate, disc, bla bla bla on a Benz 200, which the mechanic got right after two tries.

It is worth pointing out, for the benefit of the man who asked about which is better to learn with, that in some countries in Europe, when you are applying for your first license after learning how to drive, they give you two kinds of licenses: the first is a FULL drivers license given to those who learnt to drive with manual transmissions, and the second is a restricted license given to those who learnt how to drive with auto transmissions, which allows you to drive ONLY cars with automatic transmissions.

Real men drive manuals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 9:40am On Oct 07, 2012
^^^ That's good to hear.

I once had a clutch cable failure on Abuja - Enugu highway, in one of my trips to East, late last year, with my car. Find the full story here:

https://www.nairaland.com/838860/journey-peugeot-605-v6-abuja#9894947

You may have one or two things to learn from the story.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Cyberknight: 6:24pm On Oct 08, 2012
Read your story..hm.. I see that you know a lot about cars, mate, kudos. I just know how to start the damn things, sniff for any sign of anything burning, then take off. What's under the hood is as mysterious to me as the dark side of the moon, I must confess.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 08, 2012
I've never had a clutch failure, in all my years of driving, bar one snapped cable on a 1983 Audi Coupé GT. In a way, I wouldn't class it as a clutch failure. For one, the cable is classed as a consummable, secondly, I bought the car with a bust cable.

I drove the car from Croydon to South London, where I lived at the time. I stuck it in first, started the car in gear, and simply performed clutchless gear changes, by rev-matching. It's an art, whereby if you get it wrong, you'll end up with damaged syncro hubs by the time you get to your destination. Syncros are what makes the transition between shifts smooth. If the syncros are shot, you'll get a "crunch" each time you engage a gear.

Besides this, no issues. This is with me driving in all sort of conditions, from solid traffic on the M25, to high-speed trips cross-country, lots of European trips between different countries, with different driving styles.

Some have mentioned heavy clutch pedals. If a clutch pedal is heavy / stiff, to the point your left leg's suffering fatigue, then there's something wrong. Hydraulic and cable-operated clutches have different issues, though some issues are common to both. Some are as posted below:

Hydraulically-Operated Clutch:

*Stiff, heavy clutch pedal: Worn pressure plate, dry clutch pedal pivot, worn clutch release lever.
*High clutch pedal engagement: Worn friction disc, pressure plate or flywheel, faulty clutch slave cylinder.
*Low clutch pedal engagement: Faulty clutch slave cylinder.
*Slipping clutch: Worn friction disc, pressure plate or flywheel.
*Squealing clutch: Worn clutch release bearing.
*Difficulty engaging gears: Worn / seized spigot bearing, leaking slave or master cylinder.

Cable-Operated Clutch:

*Stiff, heavy clutch pedal: Worn pressure plate, dry clutch pedal pivot, worn clutch release lever.
*High clutch pedal engagement: Worn friction disc, pressure plate or flywheel, worn / stretched cable.
*Low clutch pedal engagement: Incorrectly-adjusted clutch cable (too loose).
*Slipping clutch: Worn friction disc, pressure plate or flywheel, over-adjusted cable (too tight).
*Squealing clutch: Worn clutch release bearing.
*Difficulty engaging gears: Worn / seized spigot bearing, worn / stretched cable.

All Types:

*Noisy gearbox operation (in all gears): Worn differential bearings.
*Noisy gearbox operation (in certain gears): Worn drive gear/s.
*Crunching between gear shifts: Worn syncro rings / rings.
*Individual gears won't engage: Gears chipped / broken.
*Loss of drive (all gears): Broken differential / worn clutch, broken driveshaft / propshaft.
*Loss of drive (individual gears): Worn gear/s.
*Jumps out of gear: Worn / broken syncro hubs.

2 Likes

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Cyberknight: 7:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
Good gracious. Siena, you and Bro. Ikenna must have obviously worked with Enzo Bugatti, Ferdinand Porsche, Gottlieb Daimler, Karl Benz, Henry Ford or Charles Rolls and Henry Royce in your former lives, abi? 'Fess up grin. Not to mention old Emile Peugeot himself. I bow o. Am off to another section, where I can understand whats going on,like the women's underwear threads. Good going, brothermen.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by efetoma(m): 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2012
Hi Ikenna,do u av any idea if d 98 Honda Accord (Bullet) is Hydraulic or Cable contolled? Mine seems a little harder to pressed compared to my bros 04 Corolla. Tnks
Ikenna351:

Hydraulic controlled Clutch system is softer to depress. The clutch pedal takes very little pressure to go down.

Cable controlled Clutch system is not as soft as the other to depress. But it has been improved on some newer cars with the cable clutch system. Softer than it used to. But, the hydraulic still does better than the cable, in terms of softness.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 10:16pm On Oct 08, 2012
efetoma: Hi Ikenna,do u av any idea if d 98 Honda Accord (Bullet) is Hydraulic or Cable contolled? Mine seems a little harder to pressed compared to my bros 04 Corolla. Tnks

No idea.

Ikenna
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by sholarb(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2012
Interesting thread.

Guys, i drive a manual 2007 honda civic and i seldom skip gears while driving. For example, i can flog the first gear den skip the second gear n shift into the third gear (gear1 to gear3) or from gear 1 to gear 2 den skip gear 3 to shift into gear 4 (gear1, gear2 to gear4). Maintaining a considerable speed for pick up into whatever gear i skip into (one would hardly notice i skipped a gear).

Like i said i do this once in a while, is this a bad driving habit n does it have any adverse effect on my engine/transmission?? Over to the gurus in the house. Respect!!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by richard69(m): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2012
hi, please i drive a golf 4 manual car,whenever i want to change gear i always have difficulty engaging the gear.atfirst i thought the gear oil was due for service bt it wasnt though i changed it with a total manual gear oil bt there was no diff, still the gear is usually stiff. I went to the mechanic and he said he will have to drop the gear box cos the clutch is behind it. im really scared and confused becos each time i go to the mechanic i usually come with another problem. pls wat do i do.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by SamMilla1(m): 3:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
sholarb: Interesting thread.

Guys, i drive a manual 2007 honda civic and i seldom skip gears while driving. For example, i can flog the first gear den skip the second gear n shift into the third gear (gear1 to gear3) or from gear 1 to gear 2 den skip gear 3 to shift into gear 4 (gear1, gear2 to gear4). Maintaining a considerable speed for pick up into whatever gear i skip into (one would hardly notice i skipped a gear).

Like i said i do this once in a while, is this a bad driving habit n does it have any adverse effect on my engine/transmission?? Over to the gurus in the house. Respect!!

I do that on daily basis with my BMW E36 6cylinder. I dont think there is a problem with that.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Please can experts in the house tell me what is wrong with my clutch, anytime am in the traffic and I depressed my clutch for like three minutes, the clutch will refuse to come up, I will have to use my feet to raise the pedal clutch before I can move on, Please what do you think is the problem, somebody said it might have to do with the disc, I want to be very sure before I go ahead changing my disc. the car is Toyota corolla, 2006 (bank type). I will appreciate your contributions.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by ikeyman00(m): 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
@@@@@^^^

if i were u i should check out the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder before thinking about bring down the gear box

clutch wahala could be tricky u know; u can have ur clutch changed enuff time still wouldnt last as u wish SLIPPING

a single hard braking could burn the whole thing

therefore it looks like u having a scenario whereby ur clutch doesnt disengage properly when u press on it

the laspe that it takes ur clutch to disengage could take a huge amount of fritcion from the flywheel? which incidentally or gradually could wear ur clutch out

therefore there could be a lick;faulty clutch cylinders or cable

nevertheless u need to bring down the gear box for a new clutch kits at some time as it will surely comes to that

every little helps

one and only still me!
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by abdulkadir(m): 3:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
sesandavid: Please can experts in the house tell me what is wrong with my clutch, anytime am in the traffic and I depressed my clutch for like three minutes, the clutch will refuse to come up, I will have to use my feet to raise the pedal clutch before I can move on, Please what do you think is the problem, somebody said it might have to do with the disc, I want to be very sure before I go ahead changing my disc. the car is Toyota corolla, 2006 (bank type). I will appreciate your contributions.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by abdulkadir(m): 3:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
as ikeyman already said check your master and slave cylinder. From my experience its more likely to be the master. Not barering the fact that smeothr thing could be the culprit.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 6:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
My daily driver,Peugeot 605 V6, clutch cable broke this morning on my way to work. Arrh! Though, i still drove it like that, clutchless, back home.

Luckily, i have a spare clutch cable of the car, which has always been in the boot. I may not have time to replace it till weekend.

My BABY, my weekend car, is there anyway.

Ikenna.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Ikenna351(m): 9:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
Ikenna351: My daily driver,Peugeot 605 V6, clutch cable broke this morning on my way to work. Arrh! Though, i still drove it like that, clutchless, back home.

Luckily, i have a spare clutch cable of the car, which has always been in the boot. I may not have time to replace it till weekend.

My BABY, my weekend car, is there anyway.

Ikenna.

Me, being me, I knew i couldn't sleep if that clutch cable is not replaced.

So, around 8pm tonite, i put on my work cloth, took my torchlight, opened the bonnet and work started. In less than 1 hour, the work was done. I even adjusted the cable, better than the broken cable was before. The car's clutch pedal now smoothly depresses and releases. Phew!

To be honest, tonite was my first time of replacing clutch cable in my life, all by myself. It has always been the hydraulic clutch system. All i did was to look at it and i knew what to do.

So much reasons i like manual transmission!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by ikeyman00(m): 9:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
^^^ nice
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by nissparts(m): 11:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
grin grin

Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 05, 2012
Thanks for your contributions, I quite appreciate all.
Re: Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments by whiteboyswag: 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2012
Dis is about a VW bora 1.6 which I believe has same engine with the golf.4 1.6. I hv discovered that the manual is a big issue maybe that's the only flaw it has.it comes with hydraulic clutch system.
I thick sienna will understand what I mean. Is there any remedy to this? I got in contact with a mechanic and he said he can convert it 2 cable clutch sienna pls how possible is this. If der is any expert on VW in the house your knowledge will be appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience With Carsbazr / Jaguar Land Rover Patents A Car That Predicts Weather And Adapts Accordingly / These Are The Dirtiest And The Most Germ-riddled Parts Of Your Car-By Motorpoint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.