Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,506 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues (1014 Views)

Seun, I Want To Moderate This Section For You / Seun Can We Have A Section Created For All TROLLING Extracuricullar Activities? / A Section On Nairaland That You've Never Visited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by flexya: 9:14am On Oct 05, 2012
I engage in several forms of farming for personal consumption includin banana, plantain, cassava, yam etc. I also breed chickens and turkeys, wit intention 2 experiment wit catfish farmin soon. From time 2 time, I av questions/issues which could benefit me/others. I know there are some others like myself. Would it be possible for NL 2 give us our own section for farmin/agric. This food section is not quite appropriate for discussion matters that could be relevant such as pesticides, buddin etc.

Thank u in advance

2 Likes

Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by MissyB3(f): 9:58am On Oct 05, 2012
I'll draw the admin's attention to this, in the meantime, please, use the General section for such discussions.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by flexya: 5:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
Thanks
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by flexya: 8:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
MODS: has the request been denied? Posting a topic like "how do u distinguish between the leaves of a plaintain and banana tree" will be kind of odd in the general section. Please, please give us an agric section and if its not patronised, u can always pull it down. My 2cents!

Just did a search and discovered that a request for this agric section was made on NL way back in 2009 wit a lot of interested ppl. Wit all this talk about food scarcity, there shouldn't be 2 much debate about givin us this section

https://www.nairaland.com/347504/why-there-no-section-agriculture
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by Freiburger(m): 8:54pm On Oct 09, 2012
flexya: I engage in several forms of farming for personal consumption includin banana, plantain, cassava, yam etc. I also breed chickens and turkeys, wit intention 2 experiment wit catfish farmin soon. From time 2 time, I av questions/issues which could benefit me/others. I know there are some others like myself. Would it be possible for NL 2 give us our own section for farmin/agric. This food section is not quite appropriate for discussion matters that could be relevant such as pesticides, buddin etc.

Thank u in advance
Great ideal, i'm in full support. If we can have a car talk section, i do not see any reason why we cant have a section where we can discuss farming/agric issues as well.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by CrazyMan(m): 10:37pm On Oct 09, 2012
Freiburger:
Great ideal, i'm in full support. If we can have a car talk section, i do not see any reason why we cant have a section where we can discuss farming/agric issues as well.
Exactly.

Such would be a welcome development, and believe me, would definately generate more traffic.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by Seun(m): 10:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
Agriculture is basically all about food production, therefore I think Agriculture threads will be right at home in the food section.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by CrazyMan(m): 11:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
Seun: Agriculture is basically all about food production, therefore I think Agriculture threads will be right at home in the food section.
No Seun it isn't.

I visit the food section once in a while, an all I see is how to prepare this food and that food, recipe menus or whatever its called, best food you like etc.

Agriculture is totally different from that.

The university system even knew this that's why they offer a course called food technology or food science, and another call Agriculture.

They didn't merge them together because they knew the difference.

Agriculture if you ask me, deals mainly with the following...

Altering or changing the natural environment (removing trees, tilling the soil, installing an irrigation system, etc.

Mono-cropping, or planting one crop (eg: only corn is grown in a plot discuss).

Irrigation (watering), and harvesting all over again.

Fertilization, planting, using insecticides and pesticides to keep insects and animals from eating the crops.

Enlighting people that fertilization chemicals are not only poisonous to insects, animals and humans, they also pollute ground water, streams, rivers, and oceans. 

Etc and etc.

Its totally different from the food section oga Seun.

And if you give the green light on the creation, I believe Nigerians would benefit from it.

Thanks in advance.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by Freiburger(m): 7:21am On Oct 10, 2012
Seun: Agriculture is basically all about food production, therefore I think Agriculture threads will be right at home in the food section.
I still dont think so, you cant discuss breeding of livestocks and its environmental impacts at the food section. I guess CrazyMan said it all. Agric/environmental section will be a perfect ideal.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by flexya: 9:01am On Oct 10, 2012
Oga Seun, not unless there is another reason unknown to us, the pros for this section outweighs anytig u said. So far, I av questions about the coloration or my banana and plantain trees, my wholenut tree is sheddin leaves and I need advice frm nairalander on solution, my layers are 23weeks and yet to drop. Can u imagine all these issues bein discussed in the food section? Perhaps u av not looked into that section for a while to get the gist of what's discused there. How can u post issues about pesticides and irrigation (like crazyman said) in the food section. These r agric not food issues. Like I said, if the agric section does not generate traffic (which I seriously doubt, given the interest this post alone and the 2009 request generated), then u can always pull the section down.

So what would it cost u to listen to the callin of ur people? Ohun eniyan ni ohun olorun. Enlighten us if there is more to this eg cost/space issues
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by Seun(m): 7:28pm On Oct 10, 2012
We cannot create a section for every interesting topic. Every new section requires more moderators and creates an extra attack surface for spam. We already many more moderators than we can handle and some more popular sections don't have any moderator, so it's not worth it, and we already have so many sections to keep clean from spam and we have not managed to clean them yet. A topic like agriculture deserves a sticky thread, maybe. Maybe a sticky thread on "Farming Techniques" in the Science/Technology section is what you need. I just don't think we have enough farmers on the Internet to make a board worthwhile. If a new board fails to attract traffic, it dies and becomes a liability.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by CrazyMan(m): 9:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
Seun: We cannot create a section for every interesting topic. Every new section requires more moderators and creates an extra attack surface for spam. We already many more moderators than we can handle and some more popular sections don't have any moderator, so it's not worth it, and we already have so many sections to keep clean from spam and we have not managed to clean them yet. A topic like agriculture deserves a sticky thread, maybe. Maybe a sticky thread on "Farming Techniques" in the Science/Technology section is what you need. I just don't think we have enough farmers on the Internet to make a board worthwhile. If a new board fails to attract traffic, it dies and becomes a liability.
I think understand you much better now...and the bolded part wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Thanks all the same.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by flexya: 9:01am On Oct 11, 2012
@ Seun: Now that u av explained, its easy to reason ur way. Okay, lets av the sticky thread. Pls let us know when (and where ) its up. Kudos for respondin so promptly. It cant be easy. I am happy to volunteer for moderatin if u ever need extra hands.
Re: MODERATORS: Can You Give Us A Section For Farming/agric Issues by tpia5: 11:47pm On Oct 11, 2012
can the friends of the moderator in lit section ask her why she keeps moving this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1072027/every-write-up-literature-section#12519898

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Handle A Tough Boss Most Especially A Female Boss / Autistic Kid 'smarter Than Einstein' Predicted To Win Nobel Prize / Where Is Pdp/nairaland's Billyonaire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.