Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,861 members, 7,956,249 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:36 AM

Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC (20856 Views)

Gov. Wike, Amaechi In Fresh War / Buhari Gets G-7 Invitation For Berlin Summit / Tinubu & Fashola In Fresh War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Medley(m): 11:53am On Oct 07, 2012
kodewrita: If awolowo hated you so much then why did he ensure that houses of the Igbos in lagos and other realestate were not collected from them. In one case, rent was even collected on behalf of the owners and handed over when the war ended.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he give the ACB(main bank for Igbo traders in the 70s) 3.5million pounds to restart so that Igbo traders could have access to funds.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he save all funds that accrued to the South Eastern states during the course of the war and ensured that the cash was handed over to them once the war ended. This subvention was at the rate of 990000pounds per month calculated for every month of the war.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he fund the Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria as a way to help rehabilitate the eastern states.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he ensure that Igbos with proven accounts got their money back from the different banks. The only losers were the ones who had withdrawn their money and converted them to biafran notes. their cash was essentially worthless.

all these was after the war has ended. You dont expect him to make himself known for a bad notion after the war. After all he achieved what he wanted, then he was now able to form good man.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by mkoabiola: 11:54am On Oct 07, 2012
Apart frm his novel "things fall apart" what has Chinua Achebe done or achieved for d ibo race.mtchewwww
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Dainfamous: 11:54am On Oct 07, 2012
[b]Nigerian hear and listen for blood to stop and peace to reign, we must ask God almighty forgiveness for killing innocent little children,unborn baby and their mother.blood are crying frm the lands toward my ear millions asking for mercy and revenge.prayer and fasting will move my hands frm your country only if the killers asked forgiveness frm the victims,my children are kill there names will be remember from North to South I created by my power and wisdom.if u want peace do the right thing or u are doom. Entire world will remembered u as a history saying this country has everything but they cannot feed their children,I gave them crude oil but they are still poor,I gave them wisdom but they are cowards.poor nations will feed u and rich nations will rule u because u are curse with a curse.A great country is now falling apart repent before it is too late,my hands are open to welcome u and heal your land,be wise my children stop being cowards repent frm your sins,because my judgement is true says the LORD,your land has open and swallow bloods. U are a country that will remain like this until u guys learn one. Two and three.SAYS THE GOD...[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Wislet(f): 11:59am On Oct 07, 2012
Igbos are not cry babies.
When your own people were killed in their millions, its memory alone is heart wrenching.
A simple acknowledgement and possibly an apology for not intervening fast enough when the massacre was going on against a particular people in the north, is enough to defuse any hurt and tears remaining from that time.
Not defences up and down.
We continue to ask: what happened during the war? Were we there?
We can find that answer in our present day with the goings-on in the north. War against a group of people- again.
Is someone doing something about it? Is the government acknowledging to the people that they see what is happening, and do everything in their power to stop it?
When they protest, what is done?
Itt is easy to call them 'ungrateful, troublemakers', when the people involved are not largely your people.
Let us leave sentiments aside pls , and face the situation head on.
When something is bad, say it is bad. Do not colour it even if your brother is involved.
The solution to This nation's problem will be when the right apologies are given/adequate security is given to the same people you want to be a part of the entity Nigeria.
How can they live comfortably when history against their people is being repeated?
And the same ELDERS posing as advisers cannot deem it fit to 'advise' their own people to stop killing innocent citizens.
See how fast they have come out to talk about a book. Yet the same people conveniently ignore that the atrocity going on in their backyard is of greater urgency than a mere book.
May God have mercy on us as a nation.
So much hypocricy!
The past is past.
A book is there to learn and move on...not fight over it.
But the War going on presently at our backyard? Why can't they channel that much energy into a more urgent topic?
Which of them has ever opened their mouth to address it?
God's wrath will not spare the wicked. Because it is wicked to keep silent while people are dying just because they aren't your people.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by sweetgala(m): 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2012
greateros:

the first step towards placing Nigeria on the part of progress is by tendering unreserved apology to the igbos - unless that is done, Nigeria will continue to retrogress!

Accusing Prof Achebe of eliciting war based on his memoir is like trying to cover pregnancy wit a blanket!

It is obvious you are not well studied about the aftermath of the war, Gowon a man I greatly respect came out and gave what is still the greatest public address made by a Nigerian . I have a copy on my computer somewhere. He rebuked the notion of victor or vanquished. Pleaded for Nigerians to settle old scores and move on. War is not a pretty discussion . Go read Eisenhower, Stallin , Hitler ,Churchills memoirs they were all equally suspicious of each other , all feared the capacity of the other to undermine each others national interest but never spoke evil of the other.
That is what Achebe has done , concentrated an attack on dead patriots to destroy their national and international image for personal gratification and because while they were alive he did not have the audacity to do so. He is looking for cheap scores against a dead man. How absurd
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by ikeyman00(m): 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
@@@

Igbos are not cry babies.
When your own people were killed in their millions, its memory alone is heart wrenching.
A simple acknowledgement and possibly an apology for not intervening fast enough when the massacre was going on against a particular people in the north, is enough to defuse any hurt and tears remaining from that time.
We can find that answer in our present day with the goings-on in the north. War against a group of people- again.
Is someone doing something about it? Is the government acknowledging to the people that they see what is happening, and do everything in their power to stop it?
Itt is easy to call them 'ungrateful, troublemakers', when the people involved are not largely your people.
When something is bad, say it is bad. Do not colour it even if your brother is involved.
The solution to This nation's problem will be when the right apologies are given/adequate security is given to the same people you want to be a part of the entity Nigeria.
How can they live comfortably when history against their people is being repeated?
And the same ELDERS posing as advisers cannot deem it fit to 'advise' their own people to stop killing innocent citizens.
See how fast they have come out to talk about a book. Yet the same people conveniently ignore that the atrocity going on in their backyard is of greater urgency than a mere book.
So much hypocricy!
The past is past.
But the War going on presently at our backyard? Why can't they channel that much energy into a more urgent topic?
God's wrath will not spare the wicked. Because it is wicked to keep silent while people are dying just because they aren't your people.

+ + + 1000000000000000000000000

these people with the truth
should be the next achebe book
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by CyberG: 12:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
Wislet: Igbos are not cry babies.
So much hypocricy!
The past is past.

I am sure you know so little about the war but lies you read on NL. If ojuku says be is prepared for war with the iboz and he will finish the other side quickly, would you still expect apology from the people he planned to finish quickly? Yes, I have the evidence but if you descend to insults and abuse, I will see no need to even have a rational conversation on this issue.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Chanchit: 12:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
greateros:

the north and south are always scared whenever the hidden truth about the genocide against the igbos is mentioned.

that controversial and shameful issues of the war that Nigeria wants to hide is actually the reason why Nigeria will never, ever move forward. an igbo proverb say that "if an abominable act is concealed, it will continue to hunt and create havoc on the conscience of the perpetrators - the perpetrators always go on defense mode whenever the issue is mentioned!"

the first step towards placing Nigeria on the part of progress is by tendering unreserved apology to the igbos - unless that is done, Nigeria will continue to retrogress!

Accusing Prof Achebe of eliciting war based on his memoir is like trying to cover pregnancy wit a blanket!

I wish I could say sorry to Achebe, so that he can finally rest in peace.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Chanchit: 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2012
Toaskarity: Gowon! He is the only one remaing and funny enuf, he has no remorse for what he did!
If you ask him " he will say he was saving nigeria"
Same nigeria has been killing innocent ppl of his tribe calling them bokoharam!
Same nigeria has killed twice human being than the whole of west africa!
Same nigeria has been killing each other because.of foreign gods!
Same nigeria has destroyed a village like udi !
Same nigeria has been rap..ing everyone in the a.s.s! No food! No light in 21 century! Etc
Even he (gowon) i swear dint even let his children go to school in nigeria that he killed millions to protect!

Awolowo just like every other human being may hate a group of ppl, just like someone who hate muslim, a french that dont like germans or a white american that dont like blacks etc the war is just an opportunity for him aswell as adekunle to bring out their emotions.

Nxt time, before you mention Pa Awolowo and Adekunle start by putting (S A W)
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Chanchit: 12:30pm On Oct 07, 2012
basisop:

Please permit me to call you a fool. The truth is really before you like a scary ghost.

You're an imbe cile. I can't even buy the pirated copy of the crap called silly memoir.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
The Question is : Is Chinua Achebe Lying ? And the Answer is 'NO!' The what puzzles me is 'Why Hide The Truth ?' Why not Learn from the Mistakes ?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Wislet(f): 12:51pm On Oct 07, 2012
CyberG:

I am sure you know so little about the war but lies you read on NL. If ojuku says be is prepared for war with the iboz and he will finish the other side quickly, would you still expect apology from the people he planned to finish quickly? Yes, I have the evidence but if you descend to insults and abuse, I will see no need to even have a rational conversation on this issue.
talk rationally dear.
Insults or anything like that was not seen anywhere, don't know why u bring that up.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by myola(m): 12:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
onomeasike: I believe that those Biafran soldiers and the descendants of those biafran soldiers who ambushed and steal food meant for the vulnerable group are still alive.knowing the psychology of an average uniformed man even in present day nigeria,those women and children would have been derided as 'bloody civilians' who dont need the food as much as they the soldiers do.They must have been feeling wise in their eyes everytime they loot the food meant for the children.Those igbos who participated in these dastardly act should take the blame,they should apologise for stealing food meant for their wives and children.
What beats my imagination is how a war can be won by just 2 simple policies-
1)change the currency and
2) stop food from reaching the soldiers shocked shocked shocked

how ojukwu(despite his oxford education in history and military trainning) and his war advisers failed to pre-empt this baffles me shocked shocked

incidentally,just like Osama was trained in america and later attacked americans,achebe was trained in yorubaland and even during the war,was residing in yorubaland enjoying the hospitality of the yoruba he is attacking today.
achebe hopes to make a great fortune from the sale of his book despite it would be pirated by some igbo boys,he smiles to the bank.he will be remembered as a (con)artist,an invalid cripple reference who became a bilionaire in his 80's selling falsehood and acrimony.If he would be given a state burial like ojukwu is better left to be imagined.I feel sad that achebe did not see anything wrong in the conduct of those savage biafran soldiers hijacking food meant for children.

I hope achebe remembered to put wole shoyinka and co. Efforts and contributions to avoid the war in his book. Instead of calling a spade a spade achebe is here pushing blames, there is no where u fight war and there will be peace and people will not dies. Why going into war then if you don't want killing and famine in ur land.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 12:53pm On Oct 07, 2012
Can anybody in here please tell us what the Biafran "Liberation" Army did to the residents of Benin City on their "liberation" match towards Lagos? Anybody?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Remzolution: 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
vanunu: Truth is indeed bitter, the biafra war was the most horrible war since 1945, in less than three years more than 2million Igbos died those that are responsible for this crime most surely go to hell.
where did u get ur statistics?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Abbycite(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2012
One thing I have deduced from all d Igbos comment above is that, no matter their age, sex or status, d thinking faculty is always d same. By dis time, I expect them to av learnt lessons about war. But in case they don't, let us give them points to remember:

* B4 starting a war, be rest assure of at least one super power backing. Not d support of countries like Uganda, Cyprus and co.

* U have to be sure of ur strategy to sustain ur people economically so that u don't av to rely on ur enemy to be d major supplier of foods.

* Let all hand be on deck, I mean u surround urself with all manner of intellectual and patriotic advisers that will not necessarily be at d war front but will see what soldiers will not see.

* And lastly and most importantly, don't be an Ojukwu that will mislead his pple to blieve that they are capable of conquering d world. Whereas all they really have is d zeal and machetes to confront armour tanks, machine guns etc.

I put dis forward because I can sense some gullible and silly human being that av failed to learn from d stories of d past war...now they can sit behind their computers to clamour for war. #I pity una#

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Yujin(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
I want to appeal to the Igbos not to generalise on the whole Yoruba nation simply because of Awo and a few others. Yorubas are not your enemies. Among them, some paid the with their lives against the injustice at the time. Would you vent your anger on the children on those that sympathized with your plight? Awo is the culprit and I know that if Soyinka will comment, he will not exonerate him and never will. Let your minds rule over your hearts.
Lets take a look at the big picture. Why was the war fought?
The war was fought to neutralize the only potent region capable of putting a stop to making nigeria an islamic estate of Uthman Ibn Hodio. But why were the hausa/fulanis apparently absent in nigeria's leadership during the war? It was deliberate; it was to cause perpetual hatred amongst the would-be subordinates- the middlebelt(christian north) and the south just as is happening here and now. The brain behind the war is the hausa/fulanis. They regard themselves as 'born to rule' which we all know but the question is 'why'? Simply because they see the present nigeria as a conquered territory already. Do you now understand what that mallam Tanko or so replied Asari Dokubo some months ago. Awolowo didn't want to be part of the war- true but secretly, he wished the Igbos were greatly reduced in number. The hausa/fulanis knew the capability of the Igbos and would have backed out if the West had insisted on neutrality but we all that Awo(the west) gave in by succumbing to the threat that a one mile corridor be given from Offa(kwara which is the north) to Apapa wharf. This was how Western nigeria was conquered and Awo cooperated to actualise his hidden intentions.
We all know that majority of the soldiers that fought on the nigerian side were northern christians and southerners(both Yorubas and minorities). Only few hausa/fulanis fought the war confirming Sardauna's word of 'using the northern christians as cannon fodders'. The hausa/fulanis allowed Gowon to stay a few more years before kicking him out and transferring the capital to Abuja- closer to 'home'. You now understand why Gowon's brother Bukar Sukar Dimka struck and killed Murtala. The game plan became evident to him and the northern christians. You now understand why Orkar's coup and map excised the core north from nigeria. You now understand why some middlebelt youths are apologising to the Igbos. Presently, they are regretting. You now understand why the hausa/fulanis are wiping off the Beroms, Tivs, Sayawas and many others in the middlebelt region. Stick to what Achebe said and leave the Yoruba nation alone.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
Yujin: Awo is the culprit
Culprit of what? Does Awolowo owe the Igbos anything (especially considering how he had been treated by Nnamdi Azikwe and co)? And please don't come up with the oft-repeated myth of "promise to secede" if Igbos secede. Yorubas have never been follow-follow as we think independently.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
Achebe is mentally,Spiritually,Physically,fundamentally and economically gradually fallen apart.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by IykeD(m): 1:15pm On Oct 07, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Achebe is mentally,Spiritually,Physically,fundamentally and economically gradually fallen apart.

You need help Mr that's if it's not too late already.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by myola(m): 1:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
abouzaid: Awo even claimed in the interview that they were sending food through d red cross and caritas. The source of d materials are well known, it was from biafra friends abroad especially d american red cross and d catholic church. Caritas was exclusively owned by d catholic church. That interview was just awo begging for igbo votes. Wole soyinka was imprisoned for yrs for opposing what he saw as an unjust war. Relax soyinka might soon release his review or memoir to describe awo for what he was.

Did they listened to those that said they should not go to war ? No! Ojukwu caused the war and ran away, was ojukwu children among the bombed and starved ?. Another one is calling for war now that him and his children will not pertake and u are jubilating for him. Think twice o.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: Can anybody in here please tell us what the Biafran "Liberation" Army did to the residents of Benin City on their "liberation" match towards Lagos? Anybody?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Yujin(m): 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: Culprit of what? Does Awolowo owe the Igbos anything (especially considering how he had been treated by Nnamdi Azikwe and co)? And please don't come up with the oft-repeated myth of "promise to secede" if Igbos secede. Yorubas have never been follow-follow as we think independently.
Mr, did finish reading before replying? I mean Awo's policies both during and after the war NOT the whole Yorubas. A man who said he(west) would be neutral but later cowardly renegaded to join forces with the north.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Blueboy0402: 1:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
...he will be remembered as a (con)artist,an invalid cripple reference who became a bilionaire in his 80's selling falsehood...
[/quote]

After reading your comment, I got engulfed by a sudden palpable sence of disbelief as you loathe with bitter odium over a man who gave an account of an event from his own perspective. You have only exposed your shallow and premature mind. How on earth did you release trash from your venom infested mouth that prof Achebe became a billionaire in his 80's? I'm very sure you were still in your mothers womb when his world acclaimed novel "Things Fall Apart" gave him fame and fortune. Your ignorance is so pathetic.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2012
Yujin:
A man who said he(west) would be neutral but later cowardly renegaded to join forces with the north.
Dude, he was right. The West was very much neutral (and as a matter of fact was leaning in favor of Biafra) until the ill-conceived push towards Lagos. All Biafra had to do was hold on tight as up till that move, the war was in a state of doldrums.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Chanchit: 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
aryzgreat:

Biafra war was Nigeria/britain/Russia/Egypt vs Biafrans and it lasted for 3 years, please bring on the yorubas! unleash ur animosity u wide mouth cowards! please challenge the igbos to war!

Let me remind u dat some years ago ur coward yo-robber brodas on funeral processing passing through ladipo market started breaking nd smashing windscreen of vehicles packed along ladipo road, blaming them for road obstruction, the resultant melee that followed was beter imagined than told. The igbo traders gave them the beating of their life and at the end the corpse and the ambulance carrying it were burnt to ashes and 2 of ur brodas joined the dead corpse to eternity. This happend in ladipo lagos , u may verify. Let me tell u bastard that we are waiting for an opportunity to slug it out with u cowards and dat d-day may not be far. Its a promise!

Mumu..
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 07, 2012
myola:

Did they listened to those that said they should not go to war ? No! Ojukwu caused the war and ran away, was ojukwu children among the bombed and starved ?. Another one is calling for war now that him and his children will not pertake and u are jubilating for him. Think twice o.

That is not quite right. Achebe will convert his wheel chair to an armoured tank and personally lead ibos back to Biafra.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by chino11(m): 1:51pm On Oct 07, 2012
jadakiss213: BTW,Why did Ojukwu say Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had??

Ojukwu as an Oxford scholar cannot speak in the plain language people understand easily. That statement credited to Ojukwu was a code and a signal to we Biafrans and other Nigerians who understand the code. The code meant that Awoalowoa is the worst and devil-incarnate 'president' that Nigeria never had..

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by size38: 1:55pm On Oct 07, 2012
I believe that Achebe is quite on point. Those who accused this icon of druming war song are jst bitter to hear the truth. Since after the war, has nigeria known peace?. Nigeria is still at war till date because what boko haram and their muslim brothers are doing still amount to genocide

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Hearme(m): 1:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
LETS LIVE IN PEACE. TO DESTROY IS EASIER THAN TO BUILD. JUST LOOK AT LIBYA TRYING TO RECOVER OR THE DAMAGES IN SYRIA. WHICH SCHOOL WILL RUN ITS DEGREE PROGRAM DURING WAR? ITS NOT A THING TO PRAY FOR. HOW ABOUT LIBERIA OR SIREE-LEON? CAN YOU IMAGINE DOING SOMETHING WITHOUT YOUR HANDS? THINK.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
chino11:

Ojukwu as an Oxford scholar cannot speak in the plain language people understand easily. That statement credited to Ojukwu was a code and a signal to we Biafrans and other Nigerians who understand the code. The code meant that Awoalowoa is the worst and devil-incarnate 'president' that Nigeria never had..

I guess it is kind of similar to going to Ivory coast in search of peace, right?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
chino11:

Ojukwu as an Oxford scholar cannot speak in the plain language people understand easily.
You are correct to an extent; irony/parody is alien to most Nigerians. But it's not as complicated as you made it to be. Just that majority are not sophisticated enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yes, Our Salaries Are Outrageous - Senator Sola Akinyede / Osinbajo Will Have The Last Laugh - Tunde Bakare / 2015 Election: How Chidoka, Adoke, Dudafa Convinced Jonathan to Concede Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.