Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC (20416 Views)

Gov. Wike, Amaechi In Fresh War / Buhari Gets G-7 Invitation For Berlin Summit / Tinubu & Fashola In Fresh War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by livewire1: 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2012
undecided undecided so what's your point!!! How did it corollate with topic of discuss.

demmy: Yigbo's culture
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: You are correct to an extent; irony/parody is alien to most Nigerians. But it's not as complicated as you made it to be. Just that majority are not sophisticated enough.

"The best president Nigeria never had" is plain enough. There is nothing convoluted about it except maybe in your fertile imagination.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:06pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

"The best president Nigeria never had" There is nothing convoluted about it except maybe in your fertile imagination.
Dude. It was tongue in cheek. It was meant as irony. I am surprised I need to explain that to you.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by kinguwem: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
jadakiss213: BTW,Why did Ojukwu say Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had??
. That was the best way he could pay tribute to him. Leaders usually make mistakes but that does that make them villians. Events of the past are lessons for the future. The truth must be told so that lessons can learnt. Remember, no mistakes, no learning.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: Dude. It was tongue in cheek. It was meant as irony. I am surprised I need to explain that to you.

Really? Can you explain the irony please? Can you explain how it translates to Awo being "the worst and devil-incarnate 'president' that Nigeria never had.."
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Dansadaumallam(m): 2:11pm On Oct 07, 2012
I have not made it my style...Involving myself in this kind of bitter conversations ...but I make haste to say...
The war has come and gone but a new war is here.The old war was a story the new one happening at borno and massive estamination of a group in the name of 2015 has been left undiscussed.when someone who witnessed what is happening now would write his observation and opinion in the future people will still make defence for the gradual masacre.
To our consciences each a jugde. When will Nigeria move foward as a nation.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

Really? Can you explain the irony please?
The irony being that Ojukwu never thought much of Awolowo. And delighted in the fact that Awolowo died without actualizing his dream of being Nigeria's president. The same Ojukwu had referred to Awolowo as "a funny one". I really wonder, do I indeed have to explain this to you?

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: The irony being that Ojukwu never thought much of Awolowo. And delighted in the fact that Awolowo died without actualizing his dream of being Nigeria's president. The same Ojukwu had referred to Awolowo as "a funny one". I really wonder, do I indeed have to explain this to you?

It is amazing the extent you people will go to distort history and facts. Present that statement to a non Nigerian who is not biased and hear what they say. If they tell you that statement was made to disparage Awo, then Ojukwu was indeed speaking "Oxford" english.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:22pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

It is amazing the extent you people will go to distort history and facts. Present that statement to a non Nigerian who is not biased and hear what they say. If they tell you that statement was made to disparage Awo, then Ojukwu was indeed speaking "Oxford" english.
That's why in English (as other languages) there is a matter of context. You cannot simply bring a person who has no idea of the context of a comment to decipher the message. Again, do I need to explain that to you?
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: That's why in English (as other languages) there is a matter of context. You cannot simply bring a person who has no idea of the context of a comment to decipher the message. Again, do I need to explain that to you?

Is the context also too convoluted for a non Nigerian to understand? Do you also need "Oxford English" to understand the context?

LMAO taking about funny one.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by crazygod(m): 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
Mtchew. This has gone far enough. So what is the rationale behind what Achebe is doing at his old age if I may add? Why did he have to wait till now to write all this (with all due respect) bull shit. Why didn't he do that before now? Before Awolowo died? Pls note that there are publications even online about the civil war, the events leading to it and after it online. I'm appalled that what just one MAN is spewing out is causing all this unnecesary argument. Why didn't 'the great' ojukwu say some negative words about Awolowo before he died? at least we would have heard from the horse's mouth. This is just a personal vendetta by Achebe to discredit Awolowo. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

Is the context also too convoluted for a non Nigerian to understand? Do you also need "Oxford English" to understand the context?

LMAO taking about funny one.
Jezuz, and you type good English. Anyway, "context" here refers to the background: Ojukwu had no love for Awolowo; whom he of course blamed for his "treachery". That is the context. A foreigner who knows neither of the parties will not be privy to this background information and will therefore take it on face value. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

I know your type though; sarcasm flies over your head. I am sure if an ugly girl posts a pic on the forum and I sarcastically reply to it saying "Nice", next time I respond to the girl and call her ugly you'd be wondering why I am being "two-faced".
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
crazygod: Mtchew. This has gone far enough. So what is the rationale behind what Achebe is doing at his old age if I may add? Why did he have to wait till now to write all this (with all due respect) bull shit. Why didn't he do that before now? Before Awolowo died? Pls note that there are publications even online about the civil war, the events leading to it and after it online. I'm appalled that what just one MAN is spewing out is causing all this unnecesary argument. Why didn't 'the great' ojukwu say some negative words about Awolowo before he died? at least we would have heard from the horse's mouth. This is just a personal vendetta by Achebe to discredit Awolowo. Simple.

ibos are bitter and frustrated and they need an enemy to vent their frustrations on. This is where Yorubas comes in, we are the least likely to slit their throats and they regard that as cowardice.(For strange reasons) They never mention Hausa and Fulani who almost wiped them out of the North, only Yorubas all the time.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: Jezuz, and you type good English. Anyway, "context" here refers to the background: Ojukwu had no love for Awolowo; whom he of course blamed for his "treachery". That is the context. A foreigner who knows neither of the parties will not be privy to this background information and will therefore take it on face value. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

I know your type though; sarcasm flies over your head. I am sure if an ugly girl posts a pic on the forum and I sarcastically reply to it saying "Nice", next time I respond to the girl and call her ugly you'd be wondering why I am being "two-faced".

If you are going to present that statement to a foreigner as I suggested, I suppose you will also supply the context, are you this dim? Why am I wasting my time with you?
You are completely blinded by hate to even reason properly! Same thing afflicting Achebe.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by AMvanquish: 2:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
Igbos! Always looking for trouble
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 07, 2012
Who is afraid of war? haven't we seen it worse before? If they want war let it start
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by samkoro: 2:44pm On Oct 07, 2012
jadakiss213: BTW,Why did Ojukwu say Awolowo was the best President Nigeria never had??

Do u know literary terms like irony,hyperbole,paradox mean? May be u did not attend secondary school.Maybe u dropped out cos there was no free education any more.

Ok,to help u out ,let me illustrate something like an analogy. If you are a very short man that hasn't seen a basket ball before and someone just smiles at you and tells u that u are the best basket baller the NBA never had.What does that tell u.

Awolowo wanted to be president,thus as a typical you-robber man he licked housa asses.He wanted to be a good boy to northerners after haven rubished and mocked them for telling the British they were not ready for independence.

When it now dawned on him,Ojukwu now told him that personaly.

If one uderstaands history,he will respect blood,the food of demons and gods.Blood truely hunt as a matter of fact and not speculation.Its only a matter of time,no blood goes in vain.

The blood of the innocent has destroyed the north beyond recovery.It has numbed their intelect.

Mark this point.Unless those whose parents/regions masterminded that 3miliion civilian blood letting,does true spiritual cleansing and forgiveness by the Igbos the blood will destroy them at some point.

The German,as scientific and racialy proud as they are did that in the holocaust foundation.

Americans did that with the red Indians too,when they started percieving the effect.

The Jews killed Christ without regrets and remorse.Today,that blood of Christ hunts them unless they entirely acknowledge him.Millions of Jews has always been massacred in history.

You and I are not kids,u know that. Blood truely hunts.It was the blood of the innocent Biafran children that actualy lead Awolowo to commit suicide but physicaly we see it as IBB giving him options to execute himself or be executed.

Those innocent blood will one day hunt the entire yoruba

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:44pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

If you are going to present that statement to a foreigner as I suggested, I suppose you will also supply the context, are this dim? Why am I wasting my time with you?
You are completely blinded by hate to even reason properly! Same thing afflicting Achebe.
You see how dim you are? I am sure everybody on this thread (apart from you) know I am Yoruba. Most people who have seen my posts know I am not a fan of Ojukwu and may even be considered a fan of Awolowo. You are a special kind of id!ot. I held back so long but I just had to tell you as it is. Just take it as "doctor's diagnosis".
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: You see how dim you are? I am sure everybody on this thread (apart from you) know I am Yoruba. Most people who have seen my posts know I am not a fan of Ojukwu. You are a special kind of id!ot. I held back so long but I just had to tell you as it is. Just take it as "doctor's diagnosis".

Whoa! Maybe I didn't know because your contributions are sub par without much sense. How I love some of you! I will let your insult slide, but trust me, I won't forget.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 07, 2012
aryzgreat:

u are a bastard, and awolowo who started this lie is a graeter bastard! the boldened is d lies a satan like awolowo used to suppress his worried concience, he knew he was worried within him and to cover up this heinous crime against humanity, the devil with tribal marks brought up the lies that soldiers were hijacking food.

Please read page 109 of "Nigerian Revolution and Biafran War by Major-General Alexander Madiebo, it stated how the "Food Directorate" was ran during the war. The civillian women and children were considered first before any other person. Farms were destroyed by the attacking Nigeria soldiers and there were no time to wait and harvest crops cos civilian population were moving as some town fell and come back when the towns are re-captured back by Biafrans. Russian jets driven by egyptian pilots were shelling farmers and markets killing unarmed civillians.

Awolowo and Gowon should tell us why Caritas relief material carrying plane was shot down as it tried to deliver milk ration donated by the catholic church to the Biafran civillians?

U can continue ur lies but we can NEVER forget the genocide committed on Biafra land and dis will surely drive every true igbo son to rise up to d challenge and strike hard on ur enemies when the time for revenge comes.

No JUSTICE! No PEACE! No PROGRESS! Nigeria should continue living in lies!

Why waste your time trying to teach him. They love lies and enjoy the lies awo told them. Awo saw once there is food in biafra they war will last till Nigeria surrenders thats why the plotted and gave out bakassi and now awo brought the policy of starvation against the biafra which after ojukwu saw the starvation he decided to end the war by handing over to effiong and leave Nigeria.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 2:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

Whoa! Maybe I didn't know because your contributions are sub par without much sense. How I love some of you!
That's another lesson to you about context. Being an id!ot and not realizing I was Yoruba, and I was not in support of Ojukwu, you spent the last few posts making comments attributable only to a dullard. There's something they say about f00ls rushing in; now you are committing the exact same folly of Ojukwu.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica: That's another lesson to you about context. Being an id!ot and not realizing I was Yoruba, and I was not in support of Ojukwu, you spent the last few posts making comments attributable only to a dullard.

You just made a fool of yourself. You are the dullard here, If I didn't know there's a Yoruba mor.on here, now I know. I understand you will like to turn this to an insult fest, because I just exposed how dumb you are you are. If you are dumb you are dumb. there's little I can do about that.

Present that statement to a non Nigerian and hear what they say!!!
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by blaqoracle: 2:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
greateros:

the north and south are always scared whenever the hidden truth about the genocide against the igbos is mentioned.

that controversial and shameful issues of the war that Nigeria wants to hide is actually the reason why Nigeria will never, ever move forward. an igbo proverb say that "if an abominable act is concealed, it will continue to hunt and create havoc on the conscience of the perpetrators - the perpetrators always go on defense mode whenever the issue is mentioned!"

the first step towards placing Nigeria on the part of progress is by tendering unreserved apology to the igbos - unless that is done, Nigeria will continue to retrogress!

Accusing Prof Achebe of eliciting war based on his memoir is like trying to cover pregnancy wit a blanket!
igbos are pretending as if they themselves did not commit genocide on their own. If this argument persist, we may be forced to publish ebo report on the activities of the biafran troop in midwest during the occupation of midwest during the war.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by homeboy232(m): 3:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
achebe is writing his nonsense books base on frustration because he could not win a noble prize like wole soyinka did..nigeria wil find it dificult to develop because of this three major tribes.....hausa, igbo and yoruba...what is the purpose of ur nonsense education when u are stil attacking eachother at dis time..most expecially dis igbos, they are the most tribalistic people in naija..all i wil tell u is that, the south south wil never support the igbos, the north coast wil never support the igbos..it is going to be a walk over battle...yorubas are peaceful, and intelligent, we accomodate people in our own land, better take time,

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by logica(m): 3:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

You just made a fool of yourself. You are the dullard here, If I didn't know there's a Yoruba mor.on here, now I know. I understand you will like to turn this to an insult fest, because I just exposed how dumb you are you are. If you are dumb you are dumb. there's little I can do about that.

Present that statement to a non Nigerian and hear what they say!!!
The f00l who posted the above is the same one who had this to say thinking I was Igbo:

Aigbofa: You are completely blinded by hate to even reason properly! Same thing afflicting Achebe.

Draw your conclusions...
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by nyabingi(m): 3:09pm On Oct 07, 2012
the Bifran war was a deliberate ploy to wipe out Ndi Igbo...what I would suggest the critics of Achebe do is to go back to history and find out how things went, Ojukwu did not just wake up one dull Sunday morning only to declare for a state of Biafra, something incidents prompted it what where those incidents,what was the agreement at Aburi Ghana,what was Gowon's response on returning to Nigeria...Indeed a lot of questions demanding answers!
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
logica:
The f00l who posted the above is the same one who had this to say thinking I was Igbo:

Draw your conclusions...

You probably think I go soft on fools just because they are Yoruba? Sorry pal, if you are dumb, you are dumb.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by 4chi: 3:10pm On Oct 07, 2012
AMvanquish: Igbos! Always looking for trouble
Yes, they always look for trouble and turn round to play the victims when they eventually get their nose bruised. There must be something about the children of alaigbo that makes them primitive, undiplomatic and unrefined. You can't even separate the educated from the illiterate trader. They all simply lack tact.even Achebe the cripple is no exception.AND THAT IS WHY NO IBOMAN CAN EVER BECOME NIGERIA'S PRESIDENT.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by ZeusI: 3:14pm On Oct 07, 2012
kodewrita: If awolowo hated you so much then why did he ensure that houses of the Igbos in lagos and other realestate were not collected from them. In one case, rent was even collected on behalf of the owners and handed over when the war ended.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he give the ACB(main bank for Igbo traders in the 70s) 3.5million pounds to restart so that Igbo traders could have access to funds.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he save all funds that accrued to the South Eastern states during the course of the war and ensured that the cash was handed over to them once the war ended. This subvention was at the rate of 990000pounds per month calculated for every month of the war.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he fund the Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria as a way to help rehabilitate the eastern states.

If awolowo hated you so much then why did he ensure that Igbos with proven accounts got their money back from the different banks. The only losers were the ones who had withdrawn their money and converted them to biafran notes. their cash was essentially worthless.
Any link to prove your inane-gibberish write-up? Can you now explain the reason why Igbos(account holders) were paid £20 each regardless of what you owned in their respective bank accounts? Lummox
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by ZeusI: 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2012

Because he claimed to be the best but was never given the presidency promised to him(if he were to betray Igbos[a mistake we will never make again], which is what Achebe is reminding Igbos), making him(Awo) to start defending himself before the Igbos he ploted to annihilate without being questioned(guilty conscience at work), and he ended up commiting sucide. That was why.
Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by ZeusI: 3:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
akinmax: Time past , time and time again,The yorouba nation has been waiting patiently for a reference point to unleash their animosity on this ungrateful people ,who always abuse their hospitality and peacefullness , the cloud is gathering, It may be long, quick or sudden, but I bet you Boko haram strategy to kill will be a child play in comparison to this.If at this time in history of our country , one children book writer is vomiting garbage,what this means is adding more salt to a wound - a trigger effect to already over heated politics.The noting is always true about the Ibo folks, they always look for trouble, anywhere they are, they hate decorum ,its in their DNA.
fairy tale, only Igbos residing in Lagos can sack the whole of Yorubas, should they be threatened.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Civil War Memoir's Invitation For Fresh War — CPC by Standing5(m): 3:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
nyabingi: the Bifran war was a deliberate ploy to wipe out Ndi Igbo...what I would suggest the critics of Achebe do is to go back to history and find out how things went, Ojukwu did not just wake up one dull Sunday morning only to declare for a state of Biafra, something incidents prompted it what where those incidents,what was the agreement at Aburi Ghana,what was Gowon's response on returning to Nigeria...Indeed a lot of questions demanding answers!
Ojukwu was involved in the war and would never come out to call Awo "the best president Nigeria never had" if Pa Awo was truly what Achebe says he is. . . And btw, Achebe wasn't involved in the war 1% of what ojukwu witnessed. So who are we suppose to believe?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What's The Full Meaning Of ADC? / 2015 POLLS: Ex-militant BOYLOAF And Thug GANI ADAMS Hold Secret Meeting In Lagos / Nenadi Usman Makes Part Refund.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.