Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (31726 Views)

How Segun Awolowo Has Ruined The Nigerian Export Promotion Commission. / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir / Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Novice1(m): 4:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
Achebe will forever remain my Hero for rejecting the bastardised National Award.

That goes a long way to show that he is not an attention-seeking mediocre.

His action is the kind of stuff with which great souls are made: reject the glitter and pursue the noble, no matter the consequences.

I pray for more Achebes in this country.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 5:20pm On Oct 09, 2012
ilugunboy:

O'shey yoruba !!...stop the deceit. come out clean and let's know how to handle you.

What is the meaning of that in bold?

Handle who? Do I sound like a criminal? You should know that was a typo, I meant 'elucidate'! Ok Yoruba man 'handle' me now!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by nku5: 5:53pm On Oct 09, 2012
So because he's got an open mind and isn't running with the army of stark raving, half educated bigots, he is not yoruba?

demmy:

A fake Yoruba. Pathetic but cute.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 6:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Germans who fought two world wars that lasted years and years don't harp about it as much y'all with your how many months civil war.

Jeez! undecided

There is a difference between inter and intra!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Madawaki01(m): 6:26pm On Oct 09, 2012
I've missed a lot
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 6:43pm On Oct 09, 2012
Standing5: Prof Corruption, i must say i am very impressed with your presentation of facts on this thread so far. . . All verifiable claims that fits into indisputable history and that can stand the test of time . . . . Let 'em hater go cook up something new for their personalized consumption.

Or could it be beaf reincarnating!
Well, one thing still amuses me here. The Igbos are blaming Awolowo, and not even blaming Ojukwu for ANYTHING. Is there something they are missing?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by alex14(m): 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2012
Anybody that has a problem with Achebe's book should simply write a rebuttal or forever shu.t up!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2012
safarigirl: Achebe has said his thoughts, Ken Saro-Wiwa did same, of all the Yoruba authors, how many have wrtten their own version of the war?

Prof. Corruption, why don't you take your intelligent arguments to a publisher? Were you there when this war happened? Did you have a first-hand experience or are your arguments based on what you read or heard on the radio? only those who were directly affected by this war know what really happened, it's not through what you read on wikipedia or some other random site that you assume you're a sage on the matter, and yes, there will be biased views, for those who were in the heat of the war, it was an injustice, for those who were eating amala and ewedu in the comforts of their home, it's all fair in love and war, so people shouldn't come here trying to sound smart.

No Yoruba person will ever understand this war because they have never had 3 million people wiped out fighting for a cause they believe in, hell, i doubt they've ever believed in squat! You'll come here and defend awolowo on line, but if e reach to fight, you no dey, and don't give me that cr.ap bout being too intelligent, cos it's not like your intelligence has gotten anyone anywhere. it is sentiments that take people to war, whether some admit this or not.

I had a history teacher who was Yoruba, and he never stops singing the praises of Biafrans, as far as he's concerned, for a black nation to go to war with world powers, create their own ammunition and hold strong for three years, is an achievement in it's own right, many have not lasted that long, and no other black nation in this world can equal that.

Nigeria's engine has failed, all the awos, ojukwus are dead, Gowon is a mallam, he will say what benefits his people, plus he's the one who committed the crimes, so it's not like he won't vindicate himself.

Either ur English was trying to get to u or just pursuing peace with all men!
Can I ask u a question.....does it mean u aint blaming Ojukwu AT ALL AT ALL?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 9:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
Chuksgeo: I think this 'prof.corruption' is the most senseless fellow ever commenting on this topic on every particular thread, he is 'just another big COWARD' with his kingsmen, he dont know history or even read it rather he comes online and start exhibiting his tokumbo lyrical prowess, as far as international law is concerned obafemi awolowo is a 'nazist' following his infamous 'STARVATION POLICY' and should have been tried for war crimes and let me still reiterate it here again that the world renowned elite, author and academician Prof. CHINUALUMOGU ACHEBE have only said the truth, people should deal with it, period!

What happens to OJUKWU if AWOLOWO is charged?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by livewire77: 9:14am On Oct 10, 2012
LBT: Victor Banjo a yoruba man fought for you igbos and won but Ojukwu killed him because he thought banjo was getting too popular. You igbos have always been betrayals cos ojukwu did it to awolowo. Why did you igbos attack ore ondo state a yoruba state killing innocent yorubas, that what made the yorubas to join the military and they fought you people to the end: that was the deciding factor of the war. when the yorubas have been neutral? Ojukwu's reply was that he was coming to liberate the yorubas! Who told him the yorubas are in captivity? Thank you my brother, all these small Igbo boys no just saabi history, them dey follow dem illiterate forefathers stories by moonlight, Yoruba's didn't actively join the war until the greedy demon in the Igbos took them as far as Ore in Ondo State then western region. It is still that greed that can't make them rule Nigeria as a whole. We know wetin Nwosu do for Oyo State as a military administrator. A very good example of what an igbo man would do if voted in as our presido.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 12:41pm On Oct 10, 2012
demmy:

A fake Yoruba. Pathetic but cute.

In case you don’t know, I don’t give a tinker’s damn about what you think or say about me. I am a Yoruba man but NEVER a typical one like you! I was not privileged to witness the Civil war but my parents told me a lot about it, and I have read different materials (be it journals, books, interviews granted by principal actors and others) on it, and I can tell you I am saturated enough to draw the followings; that the Igbos were heavily marginalized before the outbreak of the war, that the Yorubas were used by the Northern oligarchy against the Igbos, the singular enemy of the Igbos was Nnamdi Azikiwe who was the ‘proverbial bat’ (neither there or here in Nigerian politics), that Odumegwu Ojukwu remains a hero till date because he had the interest of his people at heart and defended that interest till the end, that Awolowo’s sudden leaning towards the Northern-controlled regime of Gowon was ill-advised and regrettable (trust me Pa Awo regretted his role in that war), that the war was actually a mission of pogrom by the Northern Nigerian Army against the Igbos), that the Aburi conference agreements would have been the best thing to have happened to the political history of Nigeria if not snubbed, that Gowon was just a figure head used by the ‘Northern chosen few’ that were actually in charge, that genocide was actually carried out against the Igbos, that Gowon and some other actors like Joe Garba, Benjamin Adekunle and others who are not of the ‘far North clique’ felt used in that war, that the same ‘chosen few elements of the North’ are still in charge of this country (in case you don’t know, now you know), that we owe N’digbos deep apologies and reparations, that the war veterans have been neglected and their children are the militants we now have in Niger Delta, that the time of the war was a time being an Igbo man or woman was an anathema in other parts of the country, that Igbos are still living with the psychedelic memories of the war till date. I can go on but let me stop here because my mission is not to bore you with lengthy speech. We Yorubas are always fond of thinking that we are wise with the way we play politics but we are fooling ourselves; always running errands for these loons (wicked, blood-sucking Northerners) that will always take us for a ride is not wisdom but signs of weaknesses. All we know how to do best is put on our funny caps and ‘starched parachute’ we called ‘Agbada’ and start to elucidate, dramatise, extemporize at the hollow chambers, world press conferences, forums, seminars on state of affairs of the country and at the end of the day queue behind the ‘Abokis’ in order to be used as usual!

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 1:19pm On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

Or could it be beaf reincarnating!
Well, one thing still amuses me here. The Igbos are blaming Awolowo, and not even blaming Ojukwu for ANYTHING. Is there something they are missing?

Actually no, but if you take your time to pick up unbiased materials written on the war, you will definitely sympathise with the Igbos. The 920-day Civil War was largely genocide against defenceless Igbo women and children. The Asaba Massacre (the killing of hundreds of defenceless civilians) of 7th October 1967 was memorial in the history of the Nigerian – Biafran Civil War! Believe me, Ojukwu did what was best for his people at that time, but many political analysts of those days make a mountain of a mole hill in that war, thereby misleading, many people. Truth takes time to manifest, and when it does cannot be buried - That is the story of Emeka Ojukwu!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
olaheavy: The Igbo human eaters call us cowards and betrayers. Okay, here we go: who is a coward? Is it a fluke who ran away to Ivory Coast in a female regalia (Ojukwu) or a very brave civilian who was frequently seen on the warfront inspecting the atrocities of some renegade soldiers (Awolowo)? Who is a betrayer? Is it Awolowo who stood by his promise to keep the Yoruba out of the war unless either of the two enemies (Hausa and Igbo cannibals) ventured into Yorubaland or the lying bastard, Ojukwu who promised not to touch the West, but actually went off by bombing Lagos and invading Yorubaland through Ore? Who's is a coward? Is it the Yoruba who performed so honorably and gallantly in the battlefield or the Igbo savages who were plagued by marasmus and kwashiokor and eventually forced to eat the rotten remains of their fallen Igbo compatriots before their oloju rangandan leader, Ojukwu, fled the war? Who is a coward? Is it the Yoruba who are always steadfast, calculating and tactical or the Igbo scavengers who always flee both the North (Pogrom and Boko Haram) and West (June 12 riots) in buses and trucks anytime there is a chaotic situation? And the Igbos are like goats - they always go back to where they were once driven out. After the chaos subsides the Igbos (goats) will always go back to Yorubaland and the North even though they know they're hated with a passion by the Hausas and Yoruba! Pathetic he-goats and she-goats, who love to eat human beings, Igbos are the basest of the peoples of the world!.

Whatttt? Are you losing it? For spewing this putrid drivel out, if there is a Kingdom called DUMBOSCOLAND, you should be one of the slaves there! Next time before playing on those keyboards with your scraggy or pudgy fingers (whichever one you have), why don’t you pause and ponder on the following self-examined questions; Can I defend what I am about to type? Do I know more than everybody? Am I an authority on this topic? Can I really argue convincingly if this thread goes out of hand? Am I here to learn or to make a fool of myself? Please, this is a time for sober reflection, there are other sections here (Jokes, fashion, ethnic politics, etc) you can visit at will, it seems you are not wanted here. **nods head for olaheavy**
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by reporter1: 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2012
tomakint:

In case you don’t know, I don’t give a tinker’s damn about what you think or say about me. I am a Yoruba man but NEVER a typical one like you! I was not privileged to witness the Civil war but my parents told me a lot about it, and I have read different materials (be it journals, books, interviews granted by principal actors and others) on it, and I can tell you I am saturated enough to draw the followings; that the Igbos were heavily marginalized before the outbreak of the war, that the Yorubas were used by the Northern oligarchy against the Igbos, the singular enemy of the Igbos was Nnamdi Azikiwe who was the ‘proverbial bat’ (neither there or here in Nigerian politics), that Odumegwu Ojukwu remains a hero till date because he had the interest of his people at heart and defended that interest till the end, that Awolowo’s sudden leaning towards the Northern-controlled regime of Gowon was ill-advised and regrettable (trust me Pa Awo regretted his role in that war), that the war was actually a mission of pogrom by the Northern Nigerian Army against the Igbos), that the Aburi conference agreements would have been the best thing to have happened to the political history of Nigeria if not snubbed, that Gowon was just a figure head used by the ‘Northern chosen few’ that were actually in charge, that genocide was actually carried out against the Igbos, that Gowon and some other actors like Joe Garba, Benjamin Adekunle and others who are not of the ‘far North clique’ felt used in that war, that the same ‘chosen few elements of the North’ are still in charge of this country (in case you don’t know, now you know), that we owe N’digbos deep apologies and reparations, that the war veterans have been neglected and their children are the militants we now have in Niger Delta, that the time of the war was a time being an Igbo man or woman was an anathema in other parts of the country, that Igbos are still living with the psychedelic memories of the war till date. I can go on but let me stop here because my mission is not to bore you with lengthy speech. We Yorubas are always fond of thinking that we are wise with the way we play politics but we are fooling ourselves; always running errands for these loons (wicked, blood-sucking Northerners) that will always take us for a ride is not wisdom but signs of weaknesses. All we know how to do best is put on our funny caps and ‘starched parachute’ we called ‘Agbada’ and start to elucidate, dramatise, extemporize at the hollow chambers, world press conferences, forums, seminars on state of affairs of the country and at the end of the day queue behind the ‘Abokis’ in order to be used as usual!

Stop fooling yourself. You are Igbo.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 1:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
reporter?:

Stop fooling yourself. You are Igbo.

What else do I need to prove my identity to you 'bunch of Yorubacentric bigots' I have said many time here times without number that, "I am a Yoruba man, not a TYPICAL one like you". Omo ale ni n fi owo osi ju we ile Baba e (It's only a bastard that use his or her left hand to describe the house of his or her father)! Yoruba ro nu e (Yorubas let's think deeply), my friend, stop deceiving yourself by being Yorubacentric, it's a 'caveman mentality' grow up, we don't have to agree on the same thing all the time. Wole Soyinka and many other Yorubas were against their fellow Yoruba kinsmen during the war, does that make him (them) a less Yoruba man or men?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 2:11pm On Oct 10, 2012
THANK YOU. I was so moved by this and actually shed tears.
Prof Corruption: The only Nigerian with GCFR without being a president. The man whose picture is on the currency you spend.
The man who won civil war for Nigeria without borrowing a kobo. The man who formulated the policies that brought Biafra to her knees.
The man who built the first TV station in Africa, the first social security system in Africa.
The man who conceptualize the institution known as OAU today.
A man who built industrial estates in Western Nigeria. A man who introduced the very first free education policy in Nigeria.

A man who was a family man to the call. He had just one wife! a faithful husband, an astute organiser, a political wizard, a fearless sage,
intelligence personified, the real fear of Igbo. A man who even in death remains the Nigerian issue. A man who came, saw and conquered.

Awolowo rest in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQXnKSUB4s

When are they going to throw Bianca out of her residence by misguided Ojukwu sons? What a completely worthless life.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 2:36pm On Oct 10, 2012
You are an enemy of progress.Nigeria is not working cos of tribaism, we need to go our separate ways. There are nigerians married to foreigners, you just need to choose where you want to live.
fellory: I have read every comment on this thread.All the accusations and counter accusations.But we need to move ahead.This serves no purpose.I used to wonder why my friend chigozie while growing up hated Awolowo but now I get the reasson.It is apparent we have all been fed information differently.Whatever happened back then should be confined to the dustbin of history.It is time to move ahead.We can no longer divide this country.We have become one and that should be clear to everyone of us.When boko haram is eventually conquered and another renegade group does not spring up again maybe we will have peace in Nigeria.I do mot want to require a visa when I visit anywhere outside the west.We have so intermarried that it is impossible to determine what will happen to these families.Even if we part there will still be communal fighting and mutual suspicion will never depart from the mind of a blackman.Ezza/Ezillo are they not igbos,aguleri/umuleri,ife/modakeke.I lost a guy I admired and respected to the ife/modakeke war.He was a med student and was killed just because the father happened to be on the other side.Please peeps am awake and typing on my fone at this hour because I can almost touch the hatred oozing out of here.Our common enemy should be our thieving leaders whethet PDP,CAN whatever party they belong to.

Long Live the FRN
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by demmy(m): 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2012
tomakint:

Fake Yoruba, quit whatever crap you're smoking because it ain't working for you. Meanwhile in real world...

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 3:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
You are a stupid A*ss n*igger, cheesy grin grin what is wrong with you, or do you think everyone here is an slowpoke like you? you typed as if you are at a gun point speaking english to appease ibos and then Yoruba in 360 or have you been kidnapped by ibos? if you are surrounded by ibos, then you should not be making any comment at all cos some of us don't like it when people double saying anything. If your life is in danger get out of there cos there is no amount of money worth human life unless of course you have taken after ibos drive to make money at all cost. I don't go where i am not allowed to speak my mind.
politician: That Achebe( a distinguished citizen) had made a similar remarks 30yrs ago and now reiterating it in his memoir shows it is his personal opinion on that issue.

Going through the arguments, Ȋ̝̊̅ can deduct the following!!

A) the igbos expected the yoruba to help with the war

B) the yorubas and any other person that acted I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ any way against the Igbos during the war are betrayers

C)awolowo is a murderer, he killed millions of children and women without firing a shot. (Via policy) and also impoverish the igbos with economic policy!thereby guilty of committing a war crime.

D)the yorubas that fought with Igbos are not betraying their own people. They are Good people.

E)the igbos felt wronged by the awo policy and ter it attempted genocide!!

MY TAKE PLS

I am a yoruba man staying I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the east and Ȋ̝̊̅ can at least to an extent measure the feelings of the igbos towards the odua nation!!

It is not of bitterness but betrayal, the igbos feel betrayed by a fellow southerner. People they felt shared a common fate with them. Hence the word, COWARDS!!
We don't have to go into the rhetorics of who is right or wrong now, the feeling is of a lost-relationship!!

@ Prof, ur arguments are very concise and logical but we as yoruba people need to know that ' igi imu jina si ori'' awa ati won osi ninu egbe!!

@desola
E je ka pe were loko iyawo ki a ri ona lo!!

After 40 years, won si n sun ekun.
Enu ni won ni bi ti aje akara!
eni ti o ba to eeyan to n dena deni, ajekun iya ni o maa je!!

Leave achebe alone, its his view!! A sa jeun!! Iwe yen ni lati make sales now!!

Eyin eyan yii gan buru juu!! Yoruba!! Haba!!

Omo tiyin nikan ni awolowo to pa eyan 3M lai yibon kan,
eyin naa ni obasanjo terror,
ni Tinubu to n da ilu ru,
wole ti o gba nobel!!

E pari owe yii, ati dade kiniun...

Pinrin ko si oshi, ara won ni oshi wa!!!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 3:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
You are a stupid A*ss n*igger, cheesy grin grin what is wrong with you, or do you think everyone here is an slowpoke like you? you typed as if you are at a gun point speaking english to appease ibos and then Yoruba in 360 or have you been kidnapped by ibos? if you are surrounded by ibos, then you should not be making any comment at all cos some of us don't like it when people double saying anything. If your life is in danger get out of there cos there is no amount of money worth human life unless of course you have taken after ibos drive to make money at all cost. I don't go where i am not allowed to speak my mind.
politician: That Achebe( a distinguished citizen) had made a similar remarks 30yrs ago and now reiterating it in his memoir shows it is his personal opinion on that issue.

Going through the arguments, Ȋ̝̊̅ can deduct the following!!

A) the igbos expected the yoruba to help with the war

B) the yorubas and any other person that acted I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ any way against the Igbos during the war are betrayers

C)awolowo is a murderer, he killed millions of children and women without firing a shot. (Via policy) and also impoverish the igbos with economic policy!thereby guilty of committing a war crime.

D)the yorubas that fought with Igbos are not betraying their own people. They are Good people.

E)the igbos felt wronged by the awo policy and ter it attempted genocide!!

MY TAKE PLS

I am a yoruba man staying I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the east and Ȋ̝̊̅ can at least to an extent measure the feelings of the igbos towards the odua nation!!

It is not of bitterness but betrayal, the igbos feel betrayed by a fellow southerner. People they felt shared a common fate with them. Hence the word, COWARDS!!
We don't have to go into the rhetorics of who is right or wrong now, the feeling is of a lost-relationship!!

@ Prof, ur arguments are very concise and logical but we as yoruba people need to know that ' igi imu jina si ori'' awa ati won osi ninu egbe!!

@desola
E je ka pe were loko iyawo ki a ri ona lo!!

After 40 years, won si n sun ekun.
Enu ni won ni bi ti aje akara!
eni ti o ba to eeyan to n dena deni, ajekun iya ni o maa je!!

Leave achebe alone, its his view!! A sa jeun!! Iwe yen ni lati make sales now!!

Eyin eyan yii gan buru juu!! Yoruba!! Haba!!

Omo tiyin nikan ni awolowo to pa eyan 3M lai yibon kan,
eyin naa ni obasanjo terror,
ni Tinubu to n da ilu ru,
wole ti o gba nobel!!

E pari owe yii, ati dade kiniun...

Pinrin ko si oshi, ara won ni oshi wa!!!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
demmy:

Fake Yoruba, quit whatever crap you're smoking because it ain't working for you. Meanwhile in real world...

Son, I thought you will go through my post and reduce accordingly! Unfortunately, what I see from you is nothing but a 'clueless mind seeking unnecessary attention' I am off! Please dont bother to reply me, I have no time for men in their 'periods'!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 3:22pm On Oct 10, 2012
There you go, same old recycled BS grin grin grin grin grin lying through your teeth is what you ibos do best, congrat!
See question ooo. I thought Awo was involved, and he already gave his own account which is more believable than the one coming from a dimwit like achebe.
safarigirl: Achebe has said his thoughts, Ken Saro-Wiwa did same, of all the Yoruba authors, how many have wrtten their own version of the war?

Prof. Corruption, why don't you take your intelligent arguments to a publisher? Were you there when this war happened? Did you have a first-hand experience or are your arguments based on what you read or heard on the radio? only those who were directly affected by this war know what really happened, it's not through what you read on wikipedia or some other random site that you assume you're a sage on the matter, and yes, there will be biased views, for those who were in the heat of the war, it was an injustice, for those who were eating amala and ewedu in the comforts of their home, it's all fair in love and war, so people shouldn't come here trying to sound smart.

No Yoruba person will ever understand this war because they have never had 3 million people wiped out fighting for a cause they believe in, hell, i doubt they've ever believed in squat! You'll come here and defend awolowo on line, but if e reach to fight, you no dey, and don't give me that cr.ap bout being too intelligent, cos it's not like your intelligence has gotten anyone anywhere. it is sentiments that take people to war, whether some admit this or not.

I had a history teacher who was Yoruba, and he never stops singing the praises of Biafrans, as far as he's concerned, for a black nation to go to war with world powers, create their own ammunition and hold strong for three years, is an achievement in it's own right, many have not lasted that long, and no other black nation in this world can equal that.

Nigeria's engine has failed, all the awos, ojukwus are dead, Gowon is a mallam, he will say what benefits his people, plus he's the one who committed the crimes, so it's not like he won't vindicate himself.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 3:27pm On Oct 10, 2012
Portharcourt does not belong to ibos. So its where will iboland be? a landlocked region with erosion problem.
dewize01: prophet of doom,na ur papa create am?where wil port harcourt be?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
If i were you, i won't dismissed the fact that Yoruba and ibos can get into it sooner. we have had skirmishes with Hausas, Fulani and Ijaws who i do not believe hate us as much as ibos do. So it will really be interesting to see how what has been brewing between us is served.
Nwa Anambra: we all knw dat Yoruba ppl are cowards,so ur threats is dat of a struglin man. I can c poverty has got d beta part of you,if nt,u shud av knwn dat ur threat is empty,capable of nothin..,onye ofe mmanu.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by tomakint: 4:05pm On Oct 10, 2012
whitecat007: There you go, same old recycled BS grin grin grin grin grin lying through your teeth is what you ibos do best, congrat!
See question ooo. I thought Awo was involved, and he already gave his own account which is more believable than the one coming from a dimwit like achebe.

'Whiteman' welcome to Nigeria, we are actually debating an event that opened a new vista in the history of our country, many innocent lives were lost, those who don't deserve to die, a product of that skirmish and general hatred for a particular tribe decided to voice again the 'dark memories of that dark period' in their lives, we are actually celebrating them for their doggedness and strong hearts to still remain in the Union and also critically examine the actors, villains, protagonists, antagonists and all those that fitted well into the roll call of what I called, 'Dramatis Personae' of that war!

I am writing to you because I sensed you have mistaken this place to be another 'playing ground' I thought you will give 'Safarigirl' some thumbs up for that wonderful piece she wrote, unfortunately your response was too bland to be noticed. Please, there are many sections here ranging from jokes, fashion, sports etc choose one you know you can fraternize with well and quit here right away, a topic that calls for sober reflection is what we are discussing here.......please you may take your leave now!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 4:39pm On Oct 10, 2012
Tomakint

In all you have written, What do you have to say about Igbo soldiers killing other regional leaders and sparing their.

That is the beginning of all the issues we have in this country

Can you explain why Ifeajuna, Nwobosi, Nzeogwu etc killed Balewa, Akintola, Bello, Okotie-Eboh etc who were civilian head of various region were killed yet Azikwe and okpara from the East were spared?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 4:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu: Tomakint

In all you have written, What do you have to say about Igbo soldiers killing other regional leaders and sparing their.

That is the beginning of all the issues we have in this country

What an imbecilic question you are asking?. Dimka and co from Benue/Plateau killed M. Mohammed yet the people of middle belt were not exterminated. But the coup plotters suffered for their sins.
Nonsense.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 4:57pm On Oct 10, 2012
tomakint:

Actually no, but if you take your time to pick up unbiased materials written on the war, you will definitely sympathise with the Igbos. The 920-day Civil War was largely genocide against defenceless Igbo women and children. The Asaba Massacre (the killing of hundreds of defenceless civilians) of 7th October 1967 was memorial in the history of the Nigerian – Biafran Civil War! Believe me, Ojukwu did what was best for his people at that time, but many political analysts of those days make a mountain of a mole hill in that war, thereby misleading, many people. Truth takes time to manifest, and when it does cannot be buried - That is the story of Emeka Ojukwu!

Many articles have been and been read, and more are still coming, just like the latest by Prof. Chinua.
All there articles are based on personal perception based on SEEN, HEARD, TOLD and INTERVIEWS/CONFESSIONS!
We all heard Awo's story and also Ojukwu's.
Lets not dwell on the aftermath (war and post war), but the pre-war. The war was avoidable, but he Ojukwu still went ahead (did he think he can win it all alone), and later crying woe for being betrayed.
The Northerners are even out of the scenario now, but Yoruba. Its so ridiculous and pathetic that the Igbos have forgotten the origin of their ordeal.
The truth be told, nobody knows the truth, but these dead men and some living ones.....their agreement could be political, cant be sure cos I wasnt there when they sat around the table!
I have good and befitting comments and recommendations about Awo, but the issue of Biafra war that Ojukwu could have avoided. And on the part Ojukwu, he hasn't been recommended besides standing in gap for his people, and simply causing AVOIDABLE havoc on the IGBOS!
We have dwelt enough on hearsays, let the CRUDE truth be told.
There wont be sitting around the table for political dialogue if Ojukwu didnt declare an AVOIDABLE WAR!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

Many articles have been and been read, and more are still coming, just like the latest by Prof. Chinua.
All there articles are based on personal perception based on SEEN, HEARD, TOLD and INTERVIEWS/CONFESSIONS!
We all heard Awo's story and also Ojukwu's.
Lets not dwell on the aftermath (war and post war), but the pre-war. The war was avoidable, but he Ojukwu still went ahead (did he think he can win it all alone), and later crying woe for being betrayed.
The Northerners are even out of the scenario now, but Yoruba. Its so ridiculous and pathetic that the Igbos have forgotten the origin of their ordeal.
The truth be told, nobody knows the truth, but these dead men and some living ones.....their agreement could be political, cant be sure cos I wasnt there when they sat around the table!
I have good and befitting comments and recommendations about Awo, but the issue of Biafra war that Ojukwu could have avoided. And on the part Ojukwu, he hasn't been recommended besides standing in gap for his people, and simply causing AVOIDABLE havoc on the IGBOS!
We have dwelt enough on hearsays, let the CRUDE truth be told.
There wont be sitting around the table for political dialogue if Ojukwu didnt declare an AVOIDABLE WAR!
@Ayo, Prof Achebe, did not only criticise Awo, but also Gowon and Ojukwu. Its just that some Yorubas are no better than muslims who go on rampage anytime the truth is said about muhammed.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Yes! he blew open the lid off a hole that will suck ibos in, clap for yourself.
Da infamous: Prof. Chinua Achebe has finally blown open the lid...people that have always been too scared to hear and accept the truth are now trying to suppress it. Until we acknowledge the truths of our past, we can't move forward successfully...
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 5:08pm On Oct 10, 2012
whitecat007: Yes! he blew open the lid off a hole that will suck ibos in, clap for yourself.
Monkey or is it babbon or whatever idiotic name and tribe you represent here. Shut up your smelly mouth. Your leader, your god drank poison and died yet you don't see to comment about it.Idiott.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 5:12pm On Oct 10, 2012
tomakint:

Read through the post you quoted and tell me what is funny in all 'politician' wrote, it is people like you that make others to laugh the Yorubas to scorn when it matters most. Achebe was right in all ramifications of his outbursts. Awolowo’s singular error in my own dictionary or let me say diary, was his refusal to support the Biafran cause! Believe me, there is more to meet the eyes for an intellectually gifted sage like Awolowo to ‘suddenly’ see himself ‘accepting’ to serve in Gowon’s (a northerner) administration at a time the Biafrans (Eastern Nigeria) were planning their exit from Nigeria. He (in my opinion) must have accepted that offer based on some ‘conditionalities’ which may not have been divulged to the public (perhaps Gowon knows better) up to now. His alleged infamous statement (I am yet to confirm its authenticity) during the Nigeria-Biafra War where he stated; ‘all is fair in war, and starvation is one of the weapons of war. I don’t see why we should feed our enemies fat in order for them to fight harder’, to say the least is incriminating! To me, the above quoted statement is evil-laden (knowing fully well the lives of innocent civilians were at stake) in all its entirety, as much as I respect Pa Awo and even still holds him in high esteem till tomorrow, I think in my own candid opinion his penchant for the crown worked against his judgment on this one. Looking at the hateful statement again, you want to ask, who were the enemies Pa Awo was referring to here? Were they the Biafran soldiers? Were they the grown up civilian men forcefully made soldiers? Were they the defenceless women and those little children and babies? Definitely, all these groups fall into ‘Awo’s painted enemies’! Unfortunately, the inclusion of the last group into that targeted enemies remain the nemesis of Awo till death, being the principal actor in Gowon’s cabinet – It was pure GENOCIDE of the deepest dye! If I am to consider the word ‘enemies’ again, I think we (Nigerians) are the ‘enemies’ here and not the Biafrans. Pa Awo no doubt is a sage, the best President Nigeria never had, little wonder, his political travails on Earth attract deep love and affection from his associates and admirers as well as extreme hatred from his antagonists and virulent critics in equal measure. To the fallen, innocent Igbos, Adieu!

1. Awolowo advised Ojukwu not to go to war because everyone knew the end result but Ojukwu retorred that he had the biggest army in Black Africa and was prepared to meet the North on the battlefield. So Awo left him to his devices.

2. Yoruba sons (except those in the Army before the start of the civil war) remained neutral until Biafra advanced on Yoruba soil. At which point Yoruba elders advised their sons to enlist to fight the enemy. Yes at that point, Biafra had become the enemy.

3. Wole Soyinka in his book "To Set Forth At Dawn" stated that Awo may have been assassinated if he didn't serve in that administration

4. Wole Soyinka was imprisoned for 26 months for supporting Biafra, Col Ayo Ariyo resigned his commission rather than fight Biafra, Ijebu farmers union were beaten and killed by Col Ochefu for protesting against the war. But where were the Igbo men when Balewa and Azikiwe conspired to jail Awo and when soldiers were unleashed on the West between 1963 and 1965?

5. If you have issues with Awo saying they couldn't feed their enemies to fight against them what will you say about Ojukwu charging fees to charities bringing in FREE food for starving Biafrans? Who was the leader of the Biafrans? Awo or Ojukwu? Who should love the Biafrans more? Awo or Ojukwu? When Biafra couldn't feed its citizens, why didn't Ojukwu surrender? Who abandoned his people leaving them at the mercy of an invading army? Awo or Ojukwu?

6. Did Awo force the North (Balewa, Bello) into a union with the East (Zik)? Did Awo force Igbo sons to murder leaders from the West and North while helping theirs to escape or forgetting the roads to their houses?

7. Did Awo make Ironsi promulgate Decree 34 which gave Nigeria the unitary style of government the same decree 34 that Ojukwu embraced in March 1966 but rejected in August 1966 after his kinsman was no longer in power?

If you must comment on the actions and utterances during the war, then you also comment on actions that led to the civil war. Awo never wanted Nigeria but was outvoted by the other regions. He was simply doing what was best for his people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (19) (Reply)

Buhari Meets Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan in UAE, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi / Troops Kill 18 Boko Haram Terrorists As They Avert Bandit Attack On Dansadau(pix / CJN Tanko Muhammad Forgot His Standing Position At Democracy Day Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.