Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? (7641 Views)

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / 2 Relationship Pitfalls Older Unamrried Ladies May Not Tell Younger Ones / Dressing Kids In Short Clothings: How Appropriate? (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by misreal(m): 1:04pm On Oct 08, 2012
MRbrownJAY: How old is that sibling?
Does that sibling live with you, under your rules?
Is your partner not able to do it themselves?
Who is his/her guardian?
Why do you feel that YOU should do his guardian's job?
na one question op ask.u don nearly use a thousand question ansa op's question. cheesy
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:05pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ OP Under no circumstance are you permitted to Flog or hit another mans child. Not even your own relative. You can reprimand the child, scold but never inflict pain. After reprimanding the child, report his or her actions to their Parents and let them decide what punitive actions to take against the child. it is disrespectful to the parents of the child for you to hit their kid.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

What is the age range for caning? I guess what I am asking is for a ballpark, like between 17yrs and 21yrs or 6months and 2yrs. . .something along those lines.

Also how do you come about that range?

Also why can't one cane someone below the minimum or above the maximum range you provide be caned?

I'm sorry about the many questions, I just want to understand the rules and regulations that governs a proper caning.
in Africa context there is an assumed age,when someone Is assumed to be responsible for his or her action. Caning is use as a corrective measure to someone who is assumed not to know what's right or wrong..at this assumed age,caning isn't neccessary but advice to the person.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by ajf(m): 1:48pm On Oct 08, 2012
All these people coming here with 'feeding' and 'living under your roof' excuses amaze me. Report them to your partner and if there are no changes,live with it and if you can't, send them packing!! You married your partner and not her siblings...
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by satuma10: 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2012
WELL TO ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG FLOGGING MY PARTNER'S YOUNGER ONES THAT IS LIVING WITH US BECAUSE,THEY ARE LIKE MY KIDS AS LONG AS THEIR PARENTS ALLOWS THEM TO STAY WITH US KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT THEY HAVE NO ACCESS TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THAT IF YOU NEGLECT THEM WITH THEIR WRONG ATTITUDE,INDULGING TO TREAT THEM EITHER WAYS AND THEY GROW UP TO BE MAFIAS TOMORROW THAT THE PARENTS AND THE SOCIETY WILL HOLD YOU AND YOUR PARTNER RESPONSIBLE BUT SITUATION WHEREBY YOU CAN NOT FLOG OR TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU THINK WILL BETTER THEIR LIVES , THEN YOU HAVE NO OPTION THAN TO SEND THEM BACK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Curiouscity(m): 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2012
ajf: All these people coming here with 'feeding' and 'living under your roof' excuses amaze me. Report them to your partner and if there are no changes,live with it and if you can't, send them packing!! You married your partner and not her siblings...
Correcting them(even if by flogging) and sending them out of ur house, which is a lesser evil?
Do u think it was very well with the partner's sibling to start living with d in-law? U wield excessive
authority by sending d sibling into d street, s/he turns to a miscreant n come back to hunt U as a petty thief,
arm robber or the likes.
Agreed some people cane/beat to far for a corrective measure, but even in societies where flogging/spanking is against
the law, most adults are regretting. Check out the crime rate among children in such countries.
Does the 'No Caning' apply to teachers in Nigerian schools too? Did caning or any appropriate corporal punishment
make u aggressive or a failure?
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by hakunamatata1: 3:19pm On Oct 08, 2012
free2ryhme:

hold it right there Aunty naira! we dont live in a perfect world just becos you leave in one does not mean you are perfect though it might take some time to cleanse our society of this social prejudice does .. As for the records dont let it get thru your head becos i call you babe ok .. it was a qucik type for me and watch your comment

Guy, r u not abreast with happenings on NL? "NEVER ARGUE WITH THE JUNKIE" this is one irascibly spoilt & sponsored kid that im not sure understands the word 'BILLS', having the worst 'in-ur-face attitude'. she moves from one thread to another belligerantly spoiling 4 a fight if u hold an opposing view. U wld do well to ignore her anaemic remarks...she's just a kid. remember that!

3 Likes

Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Thok(m): 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
Omo.. Na wa oo. Na only floging u fit use as a correcting measure?.. It depends on the age though..
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2012
Curious_city:
Correcting them(even if by flogging) and sending them out of ur house, which is a lesser evil?
Do u think it was very well with the partner's sibling to start living with d in-law? U wield excessive
authority by sending d sibling into d street, s/he turns to a miscreant n come back to hunt U as a petty thief,
arm robber or the likes.
Agreed some people cane/beat to far for a corrective measure, but even in societies where flogging/spanking is against
the law, most adults are regretting. Check out the crime rate among children in such countries.
Does the 'No Caning' apply to teachers in Nigerian schools too? Did caning or any appropriate corporal punishment
make u aggressive or a failure?

Don't tell me that you haven't noticed that most Nigerians are aggressive. Madam beats house girl, Oga beats madam, police beat civilians, military men beat policemen! We have been taught that as long as you are in any position of authority over another person then you can go ahead and flog them for daring to talk back to you. This society is too violent!
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by hakunamatata1: 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ OP, U wld be better off leaving the flogging aspect to ur spouse. for all the love he/she has for u, that action may just set off a world war 3 battle front in ur home & u wld be the first casualty! cry
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Anvaller: 3:40pm On Oct 08, 2012
tatiana009:

Don't tell me that you haven't noticed that most Nigerians are aggressive. Madam beats house girl, Oga beats madam, police beat civilians, military men beat policemen! We have been taught that as long as you are in any position of authority over another person then you can go ahead and flog them for daring to talk back to you. This society is too violent!

U are absolutely correct. This bothers me all the time and I think the only way it could be solved is for ppl to respect ppl irrespective of age or position in the society and Nigeria would be very peaceful. But are we ready?

1 Like

Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2012
There are 1000 reasons to FLOG ANY HUMAN BEING.. JUST DON"T DO IT
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by GboyegaD(m): 3:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
OCTAVO:
Well, u made ur point, but i don‘t disrespect people anyway.

Why would you be the judge in your case? It is not for you to tell us you do not disrespect people but for those around you to judge you.
Regarding your topic, you have no right whatsoever to lay your hand on someone else's child unless you are the guardian of that child and the child lives under your roof however, you may advice the child if you feel s/he is going the wrong way. I would advice you try get close to the child since you are much older and concerned, talk to the child not with the intention to criticize rather, just to know him/her better. That way, the child would respect you more and would be willing to open up to talk to you on issues you would never believe the child can discuss.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Kobojunkie: 3:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Report that sibling to your partner and let your partner do the disciplining. I just think people are too abusive in Nigeria. Every little thing is beat, beat, beat. No wonder most Nigerians carry that physical abusive culture with them into their marital homes. The day anyone lays their filthy hands on my children, that person will regret the day he/she was born. There are other ways to correct children other than corporal punishment and infliction of bodily harm on a child.
tatiana009:

Don't tell me that you haven't noticed that most Nigerians are aggressive. Madam beats house girl, [b]Oga beats madam, police beat civilians, military men beat policemen! We have been taught that as long as you are in any position of authority over another person then you can go ahead and flog them for daring to talk back to you. [/b]This society is too violent!

"this na nigeria" . . . that is the mentality. The same reason those who do it give for flogging one who is not their ward is the same the policeman/soldiers etc give for the violence doled out every day disrespectfully to the citizens in that country . . "this na nigeria"
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by GboyegaD(m): 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2012
mybad:
I agree here.
However, what happens when your partner does nothing about it or no change is noticed in the siblings attitude?
It doesn't necessarily have to result in flogging but a partner's sibling's attitude could be very irritating especially when it's one you expect to be understanding.
A man especially with his ego and all would try to protect his territory and maintain his authority in the house.
Best thing is for siblings to stay away that way respect is maintained and everybody stays happy.

I have an experience I would love to share. My brother in law thinks we are disrespectful because we say our minds on whatever discussion we have and at a point, he told me he wasn't going to call/talk to my younger sister anymore because she is too disrespectful. I told him point blank that she wasn't and the challenge was his ego. He was amused and when I explained to him the need to understand each individual and how best to address her, they have been best of friends. All I told him was, why not stop demanding/authorising and suggest your solutions/opimions on issues to her and see her reaction and since he started using that, it has really worked. That is why I tell people I am very free with my younger friend because I do not believe in condemning even if you did something wrong. I would rather hear you out and suggest something I feel we can make work and as you progress, I applaud you so that you can feel so much appreciated.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by SisiKill1: 4:00pm On Oct 08, 2012
Yomieluv: in Africa context there is an assumed age,when someone Is assumed to be responsible for his or her action. Caning is use as a corrective measure to someone who is assumed not to know what's right or wrong..at this assumed age,caning isn't neccessary but advice to the person.

So basically you are saying from like say age 1 to 90? (I am assuming most people are dead by age 90, so over 90 does not count)

Again don't mean to put you on the the spot. . . I just want an age range.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2012
My Uncle-in-Law once flogged me. And i gave him the beating of his Life. Nowadays he refers to me as "Uncle"

1 Like

Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by benzion72(m): 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2012
I believe it is a wrong use of word FLOG is not appriopaite word is discipline. I think this day advise and counseling work better than flogging and what have you
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by paris10: 4:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
Hypocrites Nigerians! Common sense shows that over 70% of Nigerians smack/cane their spouses siblings. However, majority of these beatings are done by women.

Women naturally detest the presence of their partner's siblings and would cook up stories to vindicate themselves after the beating.

Now to your question, it is not in any way appropriate to flog/discipline your partners siblings. I tried one day to do this, but my partner immediately reminded me of whose responsibility it was to do the flogging, so I gave up.

My advice: Shake the hell out of them, but do not flog them!
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2012
paris10: Hypocrites Nigerians! Common sense shows that over 70% of Nigerians smack/cane their spouses siblings. However, majority of these beatings are done by women.

Women naturally detest the presence of their partner's siblings and would cook up stories to vindicate themselves after the beating.

Now to your question, it is not in any way appropriate to flog/discipline your partners siblings. I tried one day to do this, but my partner immediately reminded me of whose responsibility it was to do the flogging, so I gave up.

My advice: Shake the hell out of them, but do not flog them!

Chris Rock!!!!grin grin
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by lucom: 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
Don't ever do it if you want your respect intact. For instance the one that happened in my house I simply gave an eviction notice to the guy and the change in attitude was dramatic apparently because I hardly even make any input when their sister is correcting them and to hear me speak in very strong terms sent shock waves down the pack. Now imagine if I had been raising my hand at every instance and by the way what's wrong with giving the guy/girl a dress down speech that he/she won't forget in a long time, issuing threats and carrying them out to the letters common this is 2012 stop beating people.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by free2ryhme: 6:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
hakuna matata:

Guy, r u not abreast with happenings on NL? "NEVER ARGUE WITH THE JUNKIE" this is one irascibly spoilt & sponsored kid that im not sure understands the word 'BILLS', having the worst 'in-ur-face attitude'. she moves from one thread to another belligerantly spoiling 4 a fight if u hold an opposing view. U wld do well to ignore her anaemic remarks...she's just a kid. remember that!

who be dis mumu undecided
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by bukatyne(f): 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2012
GboyegaD:

I have an experience I would love to share. My brother in law thinks we are disrespectful because we say our minds on whatever discussion we have and at a point, he told me he wasn't going to call/talk to my younger sister anymore because she is too disrespectful. I told him point blank that she wasn't and the challenge was his ego. He was amused and when I explained to him the need to understand each individual and how best to address her, they have been best of friends. All I told him was, why not stop demanding/authorising and suggest your solutions/opimions on issues to her and see her reaction and since he started using that, it has really worked. That is why I tell people I am very free with my younger friend because I do not believe in condemning even if you did something wrong. I would rather hear you out and suggest something I feel we can make work and as you progress, I applaud you so that you can feel so much appreciated.
a lot of people don't understand the difference between obedience and submission
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by nsabear: 9:35pm On Oct 08, 2012
though it depends on how old she or he is,below 13 very ok.she stay with u so u must decipline thm
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by somegirl1: 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
If I were your partner I will flog you if you try it.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
OCTAVO:
Well, u made ur point, but i don‘t disrespect people anyway.

You have done that before as a little growing up kid.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by AKobo4urthought: 10:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
@op u dey craze? se na u born dem? Abeg no try am o.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Oct 09, 2012
some-girl:
If I were your partner I will flog you if you try it.

abi!!!! grin grin wink cheesy cheesy
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by free2ryhme: 2:23am On Oct 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

abi!!!! grin grin wink cheesy cheesy

na wetin dem dey see you for be dis ..
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by damzbaba: 9:58am On Oct 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

What is the age range for caning? I guess what I am asking is for a ballpark, like between 17yrs and 21yrs or 6months and 2yrs. . .something along those lines.

Also how do you come about that range?

Also why can't one cane someone below the minimum or above the maximum range you provide be caned?

I'm sorry about the many questions, I just want to understand the rules and regulations that governs a proper caning.

Just too Hilarious @ proper caning.
Re: Flogging Your Partners Younger Ones? : How Appropriate? by chic2pimp(m): 11:11pm On Oct 14, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Report that sibling to your partner and let your partner do the disciplining. I just think people are too abusive in Nigeria. Every little thing is beat, beat, beat. No wonder most Nigerians carry that physical abusive culture with them into their marital homes. The day anyone lays their filthy hands on my children, that person will regret the day he/she was born. There are other ways to correct children other than corporal punishment and infliction of bodily harm on a child.

Very Abusive and violent bunch.
Most of them are nothing but first class bullies

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Registry Wedding In Lagos! / My Pastor's Wife Is Carrying Belongs To Me. / Should Family Position Of Your Partner Be Considered Before Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.