Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,177 members, 7,835,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians (15442 Views)

Jude Ndukwe: An Open Letter To Mbaka / Funny Questions Nigerian Christians Ask Atheists.. / Nigerian Christians Open Hostility Against Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Kslib(m): 12:11pm On Oct 08, 2012
Double post
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2012
omiobo: If you are a true muslim,go to north and enlighten them on how islam should be practiced. It's a waste of time and efforts to address christians and other religions on what islam is made of. We want to believe this piece of yours but the peace of islam must be felt from the followers around the world.
In christianity,our doctrines maybe different but we are members of this same body that stand against all unrighteousness. We are peace maker and we are known for that. So let islam be known for peace through the beliefs of the followers.

Of course, all I wrote was to explain the true belief of the followers. Did you read the whole of the piece?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Kslib(m): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2012
@op,i understand your point clearly and commend you,but you cannot change the fact that boko-haram is an islamic sect.. The problem is that many/a higher percenatage of muslims do not think the way you do..
Now listen,every religion has people who have spent so much time studying the religion to understand it.. Now these people are qualified to teach/break-down the religion to their fellows who also believe in that same religion.. Now,If a high percentage of those same religious scholars agree that the said religion approves the killing fo people from other religions,why shouldn't the ordinary man agree?
If a religious leader who is suppose to lead by example comes out openly to violently attack the other religion,who is the ordinary muslim not to agree that killing them is the answer?
@basic,do you know that if you come into a group of islamic scholars and say "Islam does not support killings,you will be percieved as a weakling by the said scholars.. I know some of them will agree,but a majority of them will oppose you and refer you to the holy book...
Not all muslims are bad,but the problem is that most of them have been taught to bahave hositle towards the opposite religion right from kids,and worst of it,the holy koran is used as proof.. You need to see the way even those little muslim kids behave towards xtians.. I grew up in the north for good 18 years,so i know what am talking about....
Lastly,the Nigerian muslims look up to the middle eastern muslims for inspiration religious wise.. So how do you expect them not to behave like their religious mentors who know in and out of the religion.. They claim to understand their religion,but always 'copy' 'copy' what the middle east does.. I bet you,if those middle eastern muslims calm down and embrace peace,these i..diotic boko-haram will also do the same.. Like father like son.. Take it or leave it,boko-haram operates on islamic principles just like the middle east... They even want to islamize a whole Nigeria...can you imagine..

@basic,i feel your pain.. I also have good muslim friends who i can count on more than my xtian counterparts.. Like i said,not all muslims are bad,but you have to understand that majority carries the vote.. It will take more than spiritual intervention to make many muslims posses your mindset...
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 12:14pm On Oct 08, 2012
Kslib: [color=olive]@op,i understand your point clearly and commend you,but you cannot change the fact that boko-haram is an islamic sect.. The problem is that many/a higher percenatage of muslims do not think the way you do..
Now listen,every religion has people who have spent so much time studying the religion to understand it.. Now these people are qualified to teach/break-down the religion to their fellows who also believe in that same religion.. Now,If a high percentage of those same religious scholars agree that the said religion approves the killing fo people from other religions,why shouldn't the ordinary man agree?
If a religious leader who is suppose to lead by example comes out openly to violently attack the other religion,who is the ordinary muslim not to agree that killing them is the answer?
@basic,do you know that if you come into a group of islamic scholars and say "Islam does not support killings,you will be percieved as a weakling by the said scholars.. I know some of them will agree,but a majority of them will oppose you and refer you to the holy book...
Not all muslims are bad,but the problem is that most of them have been taught to bahave hositle towards the opposite religion right from kids,and worst of it,the holy koran is used as proof.. You need to see the way even those little muslim kids behave towards xtians.. I grew up in the north for good 18 years,so i know what am talking about....
Lastly,the Nigerian muslims look up to the middle eastern muslims for inspiration religious wise.. So how do you expect them not to behave like their religious mentors who know in and out of the religion.. They claim to understand their religion,but always 'copy' 'copy' what the middle east does.. I bet you,if those middle eastern muslims calm down and embrace peace,these i..diotic boko-haram will also do the same.. Like father like son.. Take it or leave it,boko-haram operates on islamic principles just like the middle east... They even want to islamize a whole Nigeria...can you imagine..

Thanks. I got understand you. But I insist, that whoever claims that unjust killing is part of Islam - be he an "imam" - is a transgressor, a radical, and an ignoramus!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2012
dahonestboss: Are the muslims in the middle east different fromt the muslims in Nigeria ? let us assume boko haram is a Nigerian thing, what about the killings of none muslim in other part of the world ?

The piece has answered your question. Those who kill unjustly in the name of Islam and saying that is part of the religion, are not Muslims - even though they claim to be.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 12:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
ndala: Hope u are saying dis from ya mind because i no trust muslim u guys are like green snake in a green grass undecided
Suspicion is a virus that brings no progress. You're not under duress to believe me.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 12:23pm On Oct 08, 2012
goofie: i really feel the post is an attempt to creating peace.

the poster stated that muslims r not obligated or urged to kill.but the percentage of muslims that kill is too high to disregard.

i wish all muslims shared ur views but unfortunately they dont.

even muslims on nairaland endorsed the killings

Pray tell, what percentage of muslims kill? 10%? 40? 80? Or is it 100%?

How many muslims have you met in PERSON that oppose Basic's truths?

How many Nairalanders support/endorse the killings? IDs?

Stop spreading falsehood. Fear God! What's your aim? Give a dog an ill name to hang it?

Whatever is wrong with the world requires we all come together to correct it. Some people in Aluu incurred our collective rots by murdering those young men in cold blood, and no one is running around saying Christians are vampires. Why? We know a zillion christians who oppose that unGodly act!

It's the end-time anyway.

PS: I'm still waiting for some of those people begging to be sent that Aluu video to come here. *brings out koboko* grin Naughty children angry

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by deejay911(m): 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ujujoan:

Still you have to admit that your religion is doing absolutely NOTHING to stop these people killing in their name. Silence they say means consent!
what are u saying? Pls be objective for a moment, why do we have the police and the militry, BH has no piety 4 any body, be u muslim or christian. U dear not say anything bad against them or u get killed.

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Chuksgeo: 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ moderator all your clarifications still boils down that when muslims are attacked that their retaliation is justified by islam especialy CLARIFICATION #3 but Christianity never preach revenge or retaliation of any kind. And assuming what you said about muslims in Nigeria is true, how about the ones in the middle east, are they not going about bombing and killing people just like Boko Haram or is it not the same islam? you better start preaching to your fellow muslim brothers(and stop denying them) who are busy killing people and your are here wasting our time.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Softmojo(m): 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
Skynet247: Ur the only reasonable muslims thats is livng n nigeria...pls create a blog 4dat piece...if posible...let it be in news...

as if u've gotten to know every other muslim
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by QueenAw(f): 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
afam4eva: I've lived with muslims most of my life and there hasn't been anything i've had a course to suspect them as they've always been no different from the Christian and everyone that i've lived. It's sad that a small group of people who unfortunately are muslims have soiled the name of the religion all over the world in the name of fighting for their religion. But many muslim clerics have come out to quote that no where in the Qoran did it state that muslims should go out and kill innocent people. Those people who kill in the name of Allah are just criminals and nothing more. Anybody who takes what they say as word should also be ready to believe the devil. Why can't we as human beings be rational for once in our lives and stop putting everybody in one basket. We can't paint Islam bad simply because of the sins of a few. Let's be reasonable and not judge people by the color of their skin, their creed, religion, ethnicity but by the strength of their character.

Thank you for that intelligent write up. It makes me glad to know that there are rational thinking people in our society. I am a Muslim & I have equally lived with both Muslims & Christians in peace. The Muslim terrorists are the infidels. The Muslim terrorist & their beliefs have no place in Islam. What they set out to achieve is what is starting to happen. To create a religious global war. Their acts of terrorism has spread globally. It is like a global cult. We all need to unite to fight them. That or they will divide us & rule. That or they will initiate our children into this cult. The Christians insulting Islam are letting the terrorists win. I am ashamed of what the terrorists do in the name of Islam. This isn't about religion, tribe, race, ethnicity, gender or what have you. This is about us all coming together to beat terrorism. Both Muslims & Christians alike. But this will not be if some Christians continue to infuriate the well meaning Muslims by insulting them. How will that help our common goal?

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by deejay911(m): 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2012
Basic: In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

I advise every reader of this piece – Christians especially – to read with a plain mind that is free of any prejudice or stereotypes. This missive is addressed mainly at Christians and adherents of other religions in this country as well as any Muslim who may help spread word of it.

It is quite saddening that Boko Haram has done, in the name of Islam, so much evil that the average non-Muslim now has a very ugly perception of the religion and its adherents.

Though the Nigerian media has sometimes gone overboard in their reports (for instance, news spread months ago that a Boko Haram instigated bomb blast occurred in Bauchi, only for the Police to state later that the heard explosion was that of a faulty transformer and not a bomb), this piece does not seek to defend the acts of Boko Haram (in fact, it strongly disapproves of their acts). So, please don't start forming opinions yet.

Read this piece to the end, as it hoped that it would help extinguish the fire of inter-religious animosity raging in our society today – by means of these clarifications:

Clarification #1

You Christians have known we Muslims for years, and you have lived with us for years as well. I’m sure the Muslims you first knew or grew up with never told you that Islam permits unjust killings – not even of non-Muslims. They won't, because they never believed such. If that were part of their belief, they would certainly have attempted killing you. So, their peaceful co-existence with you shows that they had nothing of such as their belief.

But suddenly came a strange group of "Muslims" who kill in the name of Islam. Yet, you conclude that these "vampires" are following the dictates of Islam. Which Islam? A new version of Islam?

So, it is either Boko Haram members are practising a strange Islam or are not practising Islam at all. But the truth remains that our religion has never and will never undergo any kind of metamorphosis. And whatever is not part of it from the outset will never be regarded as being part of it today!

Since unjust, unlawful killings were never part of Islam, they will never be part of Islam, and any individual or group that practices such – even in the name of Islam – will ‘never’ be regarded as Muslims or as fighting for Islam.

Clarification #2

I do see Christians quote Quranic verses inciting Muslims to fight the non-believers. And I have these to say:

Just as you hold that many verses in the Bible have underlying meanings that are beyond the literal implications, we Muslims also hold the same in regards to the Quran. The Quran contains many verses whose meanings are subject to interpretations other than the literal.

So, I advise every truth-seeking non-Muslim to refrain from quoting Quranic verses without deep understanding of the circumstances behind their revelation.

As for the wars fought by the early Muslims, various circumstances led to these, and going into a detailed discussion will be digressive and will make this piece lengthier.

However, know that the wars propagated by the Muslims of old had many strong reasons behind them. And looking at history, no civilisation or revolution came to be without some struggle.

Now the truth: in Nigeria of today, there are NO justifications whatsoever for any Muslim – individual or group – to kill non-Muslims unjustly. In fact, from what I've learned about this religion, NONE – yes, NONE – of the conditions that permit Muslims to fight (such as if they are facing aggression from non-Muslims, and if they are in an Islamic state) is present in the Nigeria of today. Therefore, anyone fighting in the name of Islam is either doing that out of misindoctrination, crass ignorance, or for ulterior reasons.

Once again, Nigeria is not an Islamic state, and no Muslim – except for the misindoctrinated, ignorant, or hypocritical – is permitted to fight in the name of religion.

Clarification #3

Any Muslim individual or group that claims to be fighting for Islam by way of unjust, unwarranted killings is not following the dictates of ‘the’ Islam - and that is even if such were Muslims in the first place.

In a Quranic verse, which, interestingly, those Christians who have never stopped dissecting the Quran never quote, Allah says:

"Allah never forbids you from dealing justly and kindly with those who do not fight you based on your religion and who do not drive you out of your homes. Verily Allah loves those who deal with others with equity" – Quran 60 verse 8.

This verse drives home the fact that Muslims living amidst non-Muslims (in a non-Islamic state) should never fight them except in self-defence.

In another verse, Allah describes the sanctity life in these words:

"Because of that, we ordained for the Children of Israel that anyone who spreads mischief in the land by killing another person unjustly, and not out of retaliation, it would be as if he had killed all of mankind. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind" – Quran 5 verse 32.

So, Islam honours life and is totally against taking it unjustly.

Clarification #4

It would be illogical for any Muslim, after having observed some wrongdoing by a Christian or group of Christians, to conclude that Christianity preaches that wrong act or that all Christians approve of it.

Similarly, it contradicts logic for any Christian, after having observed some wrongdoing by some individuals or groups who claim to be Muslims, to conclude that Islam preaches that wrong act or that all Muslims approve of it.

Get it clear: We Muslims – who really understand the true message of Islam – are totally against the terrorist acts of these bloodsucking "Muslim" groups. In fact, we doubt their being Muslims in the first place. And if they were, either they lost touch of the pristine Islam by getting themselves misindoctrinated, or they are not sincere in their cause (i.e. they have ulterior motives).

Clarification #5

While it is natural for the adherents of any religion to feel enraged when the supreme deity, as held by that religion, is insulted, it is irrational for the adherents to go beyond bounds in their quest for justice – especially when this will involve greater evils like shedding the blood of the innocent.

However, Christians should stop spewing insults at Allah, His Messenger, and at Muslims as a whole. In the Qur'an, Allah has clearly forbidden Muslims from insulting non-Muslims and their religion (Quran 6 verse 108). So, Muslims too should refrain from doing this.

Also, it is far from ideal that a Muslim, in "retaliation" of blasphemy, goes wild, killing innocent lives and destroying property.

Final note

We Muslims are disheartened by the activities of these radicals, and on behalf of every Muslim in this country with a sound, unadulterated Islamic ideology, I state that we are proud of our religion, and we totally and openly disapprove of the acts of BH and their sponsors.

We pray that Allah vindicates His religion by exposing, humiliating, and destroying any individual or group perpetrating evil in the name of Islam.

We also pray that Allah restores peace and security in this country, and make it a haven of tranquility for all – Muslims, Christians, Pagans, and Atheists.

Finally, I advise every person who wishes to study Islam sincerely to look only into authentic sources and try to avoid the press, ignorant and biased non-Muslims, and other sources of baseless gainsay.

Spread word of this piece. Feel free to share with others through any available media. Hopefully, it will help reduce the inter-religious animosity that is thickening in Nigeria today.
don't waste ur time, the real cristians knows the truth, bt these ignorants especially the ones on NL will never view anything with an open mind, all they know is 77 virgins dnt knw where they got it frm, may be frm CNN bt definately not from Quran
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Kslib(m): 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2012
Basic:

Thanks. I got understand you. But I insist, that whoever claims that unjust killing is part of Islam - be he an "imam" - is a transgressor, a radical, and an ignoramus!
Yes i understand you..from what i've noticed,the whole problem is just from two angles.. It is either from the religion itself or from the interpretation of the religion.. I dont know much about the quaran,so i cant choose..
Lastly,your imams also contributed to everything cos majority of them don't lead by example.. And these are the same people muslims who want to know more about their religion look up to for direction... Just the same way Nigeria's corruption starts from our leaders and crawls down to some of it's citizens,is the way islam's teachings can be traced to it's imams... If we want to reduce the level of corruption in the whole country,we all know where to start from.. If muslims want to change the way the world views the religion,it should also know where to start from..
@basic,i have another question to ask " Can muslims convince us with backings from the quaran that islam does not support violence? if they can,then i think nobody should say that islam supports violence,but rather understand that " terrorists are just using it as an excuse to commit violence...
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by goofie: 12:39pm On Oct 08, 2012
afam4eva: I've lived with muslims most of my life and there hasn't been anything i've had a course to suspect them as they've always been no different from the Christian and everyone that i've lived. It's sad that a small group of people who unfortunately are muslims have soiled the name of the religion all over the world in the name of fighting for their religion. But many muslim clerics have come out to quote that no where in the Qoran did it state that muslims should go out and kill innocent people. Those people who kill in the name of Allah are just criminals and nothing more. Anybody who takes what they say as word should also be ready to believe the devil. Why can't we as human beings be rational for once in our lives and stop putting everybody in one basket. We can't paint Islam bad simply because of the sins of a few. Let's be reasonable and not judge people by the color of their skin, their creed, religion, ethnicity but by the strength of their character.

am in love...
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by akpanbaba: 12:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
Now we know that there is "peaceful Islam" and "violent Islam."
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by ashson: 12:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
stagger: OP,

When you have people killing innocent people in the name of your religion, nothing you say here will change anything. I have friends who were killed by muslims in several religious riots in the name of your religion. SO personally, there is nothing you will tell me that will make sense, and I speak for almost everyone who has had a friend, relative or family killed by Islamic fanatics in Kaduna, Bauchi, Kano and several places.

So save your breath and epistle and instead, focus your energy on talking to those people you say are giving your religion a bad name. Christians have never attacked muslims unprovoked in Nigeria. It is your fellow muslims who do. So write a letter to the fanatical muslims and talk sense into them if you are so concerned.
i wonder if you are nigerian, or ever lived in nigeria. most of the riots that claimed many live were started by christians. for e.g. in kaduna, on several occations and places, christians started killing muslims and the muslims only retaliate. not to talk of those killed in cold blood day after day. likewise in jos and adamawa. it is against islam to kill any innocent live, infact any true muslim knows that it is against islam to protest. nigeria is not only for muslims or christians only. we muslims are thought how to live with any non-muslim. anybody that kills innocent lives is not doing it in the name of islam. i never here any pastor or christian quoting the bible and preaching to their fellows to live peacefully with non-christians, why?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by QueenAw(f): 12:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
Kslib:
Yes i understand you..from what i've noticed,the whole problem is just from two angles.. It is either from the religion itself or from the interpretation of the religion.. I dont know much about the quaran,so i cant choose..
Lastly,your imams also contributed to everything cos majority of them don't lead by example.. And these are the same people muslims who want to know more about their religion look up to for direction... Just the same way Nigeria's corruption starts from our leaders and crawls down to some of it's citizens,is the way islam's teachings can be traced to it's imams... If we want to reduce the level of corruption in the whole country,we all know where to start from.. If muslims want to change the way the world views the religion,it should also know where to start from..
@basic,i have another question to ask " Can muslims convince us with backings from the quaran that islam does not support violence? if they can,then i think nobody should say that islam supports violence,but rather understand that " terrorists are just using it as an excuse to commit violence...

O ye who believe! persevere in patience and constancy; vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah; that ye may prosper.  (Al’Imran 3:200)

Twice will they be given their reward, for that they have persevered, that they avert Evil with Good, and that they spend (in charity) out of what We have given them.  (al-Qasas 28:54).  Say: “O ye My servants who believe!  Fear your Lord. Good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is Allah’s earth! Those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!” (az-Zumar 39:10)

Quran 2:190 Fight in the cause of God those who start fighting you, but do not transgress limits (or start the attack); for God loveth not transgressors.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Ninilowo(m): 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2012
dahonestboss: Are the muslims in the middle east different fromt the muslims in Nigeria ? let us assume boko haram is a Nigerian thing, what about the killings of none muslim in other part of the world ?
o ya mi lenu.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by critic(m): 12:45pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ujujoan:

Still you have to admit that your religion is doing absolutely NOTHING to stop these people killing in their name. Silence they say means consent!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Lero15(m): 12:46pm On Oct 08, 2012
ignis:
OP,
Please save us this rigmarole. Go and tell it to the birds. For all i
care. If the muslims are really disheartened that the activities of
bokoharam are tarnishing their so called religion, why are they not
showing any concern to cur the menance. Boko harams have been in action
since over five years ago and has claimed thousands of lives (mostly
christians) in the name of islam. Yet not even a single protest to
condemn the inhuman and barbaric act. But a movie that was shot few
weeks ago in America, which most muslims dont even know the title of the
movie has attracted massive public protest and uproar in Nigeria by the
muslims.
I hate reading this type of bias and trashy articles usually written by
an idle person.
u speak my mind but hating a thread by an 'idle person' as u claim is not necessary.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
You Christians have known we Muslims for years, and you have lived with us for years as well. I’m sure the Muslims you first knew or grew up with never told you that Islam permits unjust killings – not even of non-Muslims. They won't, because they never believed such. If that were part of their belief, they would certainly have attempted killing you. So, their peaceful co-existence with you shows that they had nothing of such as their belief.

But suddenly came a strange group of "Muslims" who kill in the name of Islam. Yet, you conclude that these "vampires" are following the dictates of Islam. Which Islam? A new version of Islam?

OP, the killings didn't start today, didn't start with BH and it's not only in Nigeria that muslims are attacking non-muslims over religious reasons. There's a fundamental problem - islamic terrorism against non- muslims (infidels) is a worldwide problem and is rooted in the understanding/misunderstanding of Islam by muslims - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism

You should concentrate on getting these muslims ( and yes they are muslims) to stop the killing, instead of this propaganda. Non-muslims are still being killed by muslims and yet instead of focusing on the fundamental issues, you are here trying to enlighten the victims on why they are being killed.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
OP,

Good write up but I hope you dont get offended when I say you may be a minority amongst muslims. The issues of religious extremism is not in Nigeria alone. Infact, I can bet you are a muslim from the south and some of your northern muslim brothers may look down on you as an inferior muslim. Has the Sultan come out publicly to criticise Boko Haram? How many muslim elders in Nigeria have come up to criticise Boko Haram, in fact some are even defending them, including people like Sanusi.

Lets be truthful, we just read about the killing of the US ambassador to Libya and several other violent demonstrations around the muslim world because of a video tape by some non-entity in the US. Is that justification for killing the ambassador? What about all the other killings just because of a video tape.

I do not condemn people's religious views, but I condemn violence and the trend of Islamic violence and extremism is not just in Nigeria, it is all over the world.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Ninilowo(m): 12:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
Basic: In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

I advise every reader of this piece – Christians especially – to read with a plain mind that is free of any prejudice or stereotypes. This missive is addressed mainly at Christians and adherents of other religions in this country as well as any Muslim who may help spread word of it.

It is quite saddening that Boko Haram has done, in the name of Islam, so much evil that the average non-Muslim now has a very ugly perception of the religion and its adherents.

Though the Nigerian media has sometimes gone overboard in their reports (for instance, news spread months ago that a Boko Haram instigated bomb blast occurred in Bauchi, only for the Police to state later that the heard explosion was that of a faulty transformer and not a bomb), this piece does not seek to defend the acts of Boko Haram (in fact, it strongly disapproves of their acts). So, please don't start forming opinions yet.

Read this piece to the end, as it hoped that it would help extinguish the fire of inter-religious animosity raging in our society today – by means of these clarifications:

Clarification #1

So, it is either Boko Haram members are practising a strange Islam or are not practising Islam at all. But the truth remains that our religion has never and will never undergo any kind of metamorphosis. And whatever is not part of it from the outset will never be regarded as being part of it today!

Since unjust, unlawful killings were never part of Islam, they will never be part of Islam, and any individual or group that practices such – even in the name of Islam – will ‘never’ be regarded as Muslims or as fighting for Islam.

Clarification #2

I do see Christians quote Quranic verses inciting Muslims to fight the non-believers. And I have these to say:

Just as you hold that many verses in the Bible have underlying meanings that are beyond the literal implications, we Muslims also hold the same in regards to the Quran. The Quran contains many verses whose meanings are subject to interpretations other than the literal.

So, I advise every truth-seeking non-Muslim to refrain from quoting Quranic verses without deep understanding of the circumstances behind their revelation.

As for the wars fought by the early Muslims, various circumstances led to these, and going into a detailed discussion will be digressive and will make this piece lengthier.

However, know that the wars propagated by the Muslims of old had many strong reasons behind them. And looking at history, no civilisation or revolution came to be without some struggle.

Now the truth: in Nigeria of today, there are NO justifications whatsoever for any Muslim – individual or group – to kill non-Muslims unjustly. In fact, from what I've learned about this religion, NONE – yes, NONE – of the conditions that permit Muslims to fight (such as if they are facing aggression from non-Muslims, and if they are in an Islamic state) is present in the Nigeria of today. Therefore, anyone fighting in the name of Islam is either doing that out of misindoctrination, crass ignorance, or for ulterior reasons.

Once again, Nigeria is not an Islamic state, and no Muslim – except for the misindoctrinated, ignorant, or hypocritical – is permitted to fight in the name of religion.

Clarification #3

Any Muslim individual or group that claims to be fighting for Islam by way of unjust, unwarranted killings is not following the dictates of ‘the’ Islam - and that is even if such were Muslims in the first place.

In a Quranic verse, which, interestingly, those Christians who have never stopped dissecting the Quran never quote, Allah says:

"Allah never forbids you from dealing justly and kindly with those who do not fight you based on your religion and who do not drive you out of your homes. Verily Allah loves those who deal with others with equity" – Quran 60 verse 8.

This verse drives home the fact that Muslims living amidst non-Muslims (in a non-Islamic state) should never fight them except in self-defence.

In another verse, Allah describes the sanctity life in these words:

"Because of that, we ordained for the Children of Israel that anyone who spreads mischief in the land by killing another person unjustly, and not out of retaliation, it would be as if he had killed all of mankind. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind" – Quran 5 verse 32.

So, Islam honours life and is totally against taking it unjustly.

Clarification #4

It would be illogical for any Muslim, after having observed some wrongdoing by a Christian or group of Christians, to conclude that Christianity preaches that wrong act or that all Christians approve of it.

Similarly, it contradicts logic for any Christian, after having observed some wrongdoing by some individuals or groups who claim to be Muslims, to conclude that Islam preaches that wrong act or that all Muslims approve of it.

Get it clear: We Muslims – who really understand the true message of Islam – are totally against the terrorist acts of these bloodsucking "Muslim" groups. In fact, we doubt their being Muslims in the first place. And if they were, either they lost touch of the pristine Islam by getting themselves misindoctrinated, or they are not sincere in their cause (i.e. they have ulterior motives).

Clarification #5

While it is natural for the adherents of any religion to feel enraged when the supreme deity, as held by that religion, is insulted, it is irrational for the adherents to go beyond bounds in their quest for justice – especially when this will involve greater evils like shedding the blood of the innocent.

However, Christians should stop spewing insults at Allah, His Messenger, and at Muslims as a whole. In the Qur'an, Allah has clearly forbidden Muslims from insulting non-Muslims and their religion (Quran 6 verse 108). So, Muslims too should refrain from doing this.

Also, it is far from ideal that a Muslim, in "retaliation" of blasphemy, goes wild, killing innocent lives and destroying property.

Final note

We Muslims are disheartened by the activities of these radicals, and on behalf of every Muslim in this country with a sound, unadulterated Islamic ideology, I state that we are proud of our religion, and we totally and openly disapprove of the acts of BH and their sponsors.

We pray that Allah vindicates His religion by exposing, humiliating, and destroying any individual or group perpetrating evil in the name of Islam.

We also pray that Allah restores peace and security in this country, and make it a haven of tranquility for all – Muslims, Christians, Pagans, and Atheists.

Finally, I advise every person who wishes to study Islam sincerely to look only into authentic sources and try to avoid the press, ignorant and biased non-Muslims, and other sources of baseless gainsay.

Spread word of this piece. Feel free to share with others through any available media. Hopefully, it will help reduce the inter-religious animosity that is thickening in Nigeria today.
O BOY ITS LIKE YOU ARE ON YOUR ANNUAL LEAVE OR PROBABLY YOU ARE A YORUBA muslim. What about those that had been living eacefully with christians and when religious nonsense broke out, they puushed the christians out that they couldnt kill them but they should go out and at the end they got killed?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Lero15(m): 12:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
In my own opinion, I believe Your Belief Is Your Religion; some believe they can kill for theis supreme being,some dont. Some believe, as females, they can wear trousers and jewelries,some dont. There is more to being a fellow Muslim or a fellow Christian.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 12:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
At times I just don't feel the need to clarify or say anything. Humans are inherently and incurably prejudicial.

Chuksgeo: @ moderator all your clarifications still boils down that when muslims are attacked that their retaliation is justified by islam especialy CLARIFICATION #3 but Christianity never preach revenge or retaliation of any kind.

Not true. There are two options a muslims has when attacked or when someone wrongs him.

1. Leave the transgressor to God,
2. Retaliate, an eye for an eye only. If he take more than measure, he automatically becomes the transgressor!

I can bet my life the Holy bible say this too.

And assuming what you said about muslims in Nigeria is true, how about the ones in the middle east, are they not going about bombing and killing people just like Boko Haram or is it not the same islam?

The issues in the middle-east is a complicated one that transcends this thread. I'm sure historians and political students understand these issues more than we do. Isaac, Ishmaeel, palestine, Israel, Arab, jew, the west, sovereignty, capitalism, socialism, oil, worldpowerlism and a little of the "opium" just for fun and to skim the support of blind men like you and I. Hahaha. We're just PAWNS.

you better start preaching to your fellow muslim brothers(and stop denying them) who are busy killing people and your are here wasting our time.

Yeah the OP and muslims must stop being bedroom warriors and start speaking up. Enough is enough! This thread is a right step in the right direction.

Non-muslims alike who know the truth too should join the crusade. The world belongs to us all!

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 08, 2012
To me Islam is a religion of violence. For God's sake look around the world and see how muslims goes about making troubles just in the name of religion and you want me to believe islam aint a violent religion?

It will take more than these to convince me
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
@Op, nice posts.i have somethings to chip in
by the way
you don't have to blame us non-muslims for
thinking all moslems are the same cos' its
hurtfull seeing our siblings,tribesmen,
innocent lives wasted for nothing sake.it
hurts so untill you are in our shoes, you may
never know
the media has not blown anything by boko
haram out of proportion rather its the
inhumane ways the heartless sect go about
their deeds that makes it such.to all, they
committed the said crimes and even admitted
to doing it on you tube.imagine trying to
islamize nigeria, refusing to negotiate with
the govt and killing christains as if they
are above the law and creator of human
life!!.
Boko haram are muslims, don't try to cover
it up with "pactising new religion".boko
haram are just the 9ja version of
alqeida.they are simply doing the stuff
inconcated in them by their imams or various
leaders.as an igbo child growing up, i've
come to known about the killings meted out
to non-musilms.i aint talking about the
biafran war(though its another clear
example) but am talking about the incessant
killings that are associated with
muslims.are you telling me that those
muderers and rioters that killed the
american ambassador in libya aren't
moslems?.note they were thousands of them
rioting WORLDWIDE!!..are you telling
me that those muslims that killed innocent
lives in 9ja cos' of a cartoon made in far
away denmark are not muslims?..if you
wanna deny the facts, maybe you should
listen to VICTOR MOSES tear-inducing
story
!!
i agree with you that its illogical to accuse
the whole moslems cos of a "FEW" group
that act unislamic but ask yourself, are they
really "FEW"?...all this crime done
everyday, are they of "FEW"
numbers?..your guess is as good as mine if
you are unbiased!!
Lastly, i want to thank you for your
posts.its reeks of maturity and sound
reasoning.so i leave you with this:
(1) if all muslims adhere by your posts,
believe me when i say the world will be a
better place and non-muslims might troop in
their numbers to convert to islam
(2) to be frank with you, i dont see all
moslems adhering to your posts atleast not
this blood thirsty extremists who swallows
every evil words said to them hook,line and
sinker!!.not this brainwashed radicals
whose mind has been been beclouded with
mudrer,islamization and 77 virgins!!
(3) if radical/norhtern moslems can behave
like yoruba muslims, this killings,
generalization of islam as a religion of
piss or violence(no pun intended.just saying
it as non-muslims who are pissed says it)
will come to an abrupt END!!
Cheers...hope your fellow muslims can
change for good
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by QueenAw(f): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ujujoan:

Shoo, see me see trouble o! Do you think Muslims too are not scared of this terrorists? Some of our scholars have spoken out against them dear. Our men in the military along with others are fighting the terrorists. We are here too condemning their acts. If the government with all it's resources & America are having difficulties eradicating them completely, do you honestly think it is unarmed Muslims that can? Have you not heard they kill Muslims that oppose them as well? If Muslims rise & start fighting them & some innocent lives are lost in crossfire wouldn't that ignite a religious war? Biko, let's leave the authorities to fight. We can only condemn and that's what we do when some Christians give us the chance to without insulting our religion.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 08, 2012
Unless and until muslims protest with zeal against Islamic terrorism, no one will truly believe that muslims don't openly or covertly support violence against non-muslims.

How can you protest and even kill innocents over the very mundane - some cartoons, movies and purported desecretion of printed paper! - and yet keep mum over suicide bombing of churches and other acts of violence against non-muslims, and then expect people to believe the "Islam is a religion of peace" crap?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 08, 2012
X

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
Lemme add that moslems are the cause of why everybody thinks they are all the same...can you imagine that an ambassador was killed for a crime he didin't commit in a farway country whereas boko haram has been killing innocent lives and there is no protest!!

A minister of renowned fame came out in a live broadcast to place huge chunk of money on the head of the movie producer for him to be killed and it was broadcasted and yet there were no protest.yet the minister was not stoned to death neither was he sacked!!...
Abeg make una no forget tori...ALLMOST all the moslems(not the yoruba moslems.they are an exception) have violence in thier genes...simples!!!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by dridowu: 1:11pm On Oct 08, 2012
@ poster, may Allah increase your knowledge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers? / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.