Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,210 members, 7,836,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians (15443 Views)

Jude Ndukwe: An Open Letter To Mbaka / Funny Questions Nigerian Christians Ask Atheists.. / Nigerian Christians Open Hostility Against Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 4:38pm On Oct 09, 2012
grin Did you get all the below from a website or you read the Quran yourself?

Stop spreading lies, mischief and half-truths. I can't ask you to stop quoting the Quran because I'm not God, but please when you'll quote, make sure you quote atleast 5 verses before the verse you're interested in, and 5 verses after. Why? For the sake of clarity.

I'm not a scholar, but this is the truth that should set you free; if Allah wills. It's a long post (for the sake of clarity), may have the diligence to read through. I also added some interesting verses from the same chapter, I wager you may find them interesting!

alexis:

See for yourself:

1. Surah 5:51 - O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

I don't know how you interpret this but this Surah is saying don't be friends with Christians. To answer your questions, here is the Surah that states killing unbelievers taught and encouraged. Please confirm is unbeliever means anyone who is not a muslim. That description fits Christians as well.

The surah(chapter) you quoted is called Maaa-'idah(table spread). Ironically, It's prophesy is what we have on our hands now-- this you are doing. Allahu-akbar!

Surah 5. Maaa-'idah(table spread)
32. On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

34. Except for those who repent before they fall into your power: in that case, know that Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.

47. Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

48. To thee We sent the Scripture in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed a law and an open way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah. it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which ye dispute;

49. And this (He commands): Judge thou between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, but beware of them lest they beguile thee from any of that (teaching) which Allah hath sent down to thee. And if they turn away, be assured that for some of their crime it is Allah.s purpose to punish them. And truly most men are rebellious.

50. Do they then seek after a judgment of (the days of) ignorance? But who, for a people whose faith is assured, can give better judgment than Allah.

51. O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

52. Those in whose hearts is a disease - thou seest how eagerly they run about amongst them, saying: "We do fear lest a change of fortune bring us disaster." Ah! perhaps Allah will give (thee) victory, or a decision according to His will. Then will they repent of the thoughts which they secretly harboured in their hearts.

53. And those who believe will say: "Are these the men who swore their strongest oaths by Allah, that they were with you?" All that they do will be in vain, and they will fall into (nothing but) ruin.

68. Say: "O People of the Book! ye have no ground to stand upon unless ye stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." It is the revelation that cometh to thee from thy Lord, that increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. But sorrow thou not over (these) people without Faith.

69. Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

70. We took the covenant of the Children of Israel and sent them apostles, every time, there came to them an apostle with what they themselves desired not - some (of these) they called impostors, and some they (go so far as to) slay.

alexis: 2. Surah 47:4 - Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers, smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly: thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.

[b]Surah 47. Muhammad

1. Those who reject Allah and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah,- their deeds will Allah render astray (from their mark).

2. But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness, and believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad - for it is the Truth from their Lord,- He will remove from them their ills and improve their condition.

3. This because those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the Truth from their Lord: Thus does Allah set forth for men their lessons by similitudes.

4. Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah.s Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.

5. Soon will He guide them and improve their condition,

6. And admit them to the Garden which He has announced for them.[/b]
I'm sure I needn't explain the context of this Chapter. It is as clear as day!

alexis: Let us say the above Surah is taken out of context or I read it wrong, what about

3. Surah 8:12 - Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

@wisestfool - Please comment

Another mischievous post. Stop copying and pasting everything you come across on the internet. Some of those people posting them are not even as smart as you. To understand Al-Islam, read the Al-Quran itself!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by ismail09: 4:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
Skynet247: Ur the only reasonable muslims thats is livng n nigeria...pls create a blog 4dat piece...if posible...let it be in news...
Supported!!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by ismail09: 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
afam4eva: I've lived with muslims most of my life and there hasn't been anything i've had a course to suspect them as they've always been no different from the Christian and everyone that i've lived. It's sad that a small group of people who unfortunately are muslims have soiled the name of the religion all over the world in the name of fighting for their religion. But many muslim clerics have come out to quote that no where in the Qoran did it state that muslims should go out and kill innocent people. Those people who kill in the name of Allah are just criminals and nothing more. Anybody who takes what they say as word should also be ready to believe the devil. Why can't we as human beings be rational for once in our lives and stop putting everybody in one basket. We can't paint Islam bad simply because of the sins of a few. Let's be reasonable and not judge people by the color of their skin, their creed, religion, ethnicity but by the strength of their character.
A good, understanding and peace-lovin nigerian talks lik this. This's from a xristan guy!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2012
@seunaija

You don't have to be a scholar to read the Quran my friend. You quoted Surah 5:32-70 yet you didn't explain 5:51. Your claim is that I am telling lies, half truths etcs. Yet you still can't explain what the Surahs mean. You claim I am copying and pasting from the Internet but you don't even know if I have a muslim background or not. So, your claim is all the same, I am misquoting and I am out of context but all you have done is pasted Surahs above and below and still haven't EXPLAINED to us what they mean.

For example, if I quote Surah 2: 256 - Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. Am I taking this Surah out of context? The Surah is clear on the point it is making.

There is over 100 verses in Quran related to violence in different Surahs and at different times. If we bring up these Surahs, you response will be the same - we are quoting it out of context. Remember, we haven't even touched the hadith yet smiley. For the sake of argument, let us say, I am quoting it out of context, let us say that non-muslims don't understand what the Surahs are saying. What was the prophet stand on this? Did he rebuke violence/killings? Was he personally involved in wars and battles? Did his life reflect non-violence and peace? Remember now, we might have to go to the hadith to answer these questions so please don't play pretend and say I am quoting out of context. So, if I am quoting out of context we might have to consult historical records to explain and answer these questions.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by PastorKun(m): 6:25pm On Oct 09, 2012
@basic/seunaija and other muslim brethen
I do appreciate the OP's enthusiasm to foster peace and harmony amongst Nigerians irrespective of religious beliefs however I believe a lot more needs to be done by the islamic community to condemn and bring to a end the evil that boko haram represents. Whilst we know that the overwhelming majority of muslims don't support boko haram(at least in the southern part of the country) it doesn't appear as if muslims are ready to even protest against these criminals that are casting their religion in bad light yet they are ready to take up arms on a lot more trivial issues. That said Alexis as raised some very interesting questions and I have been hoping you guys would give him a thorough rebuttal if only for the benefit of the thousands of people reading this thread but alas you guys seem to be dancing around the questions raised. Your not answering the questions raised is actually doing more arm than good as people could form their opinions on Islam based on the issues he as raised. I am sure a lot of us following this thread would appreciate it if you can give him a thorough rebuttal based on the quoran or even the hadiths. This would also go a long way in correcting the negative impression some Nigerians have about the islamic faith.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 7:03pm On Oct 09, 2012
Ah! You got it from a website! grin

I thought you'd get 5:51's message clear after I posted the verses before and after it.

This was a time of war(after the battle of badr).

Anyway, Muslims are not forbidden from being friends with christians, the prophet even had Christian and Jewish friends before and after this time. Some of whom he traded with. Some he received in the Masjid(mosque) on occasions.

Different verses of the Qur’an were revealed by the Divine at different times in the Prophet Muhammad’s life (peace be upon him).  Many times, verses answered questions or commented on specific historical events, some of which were intended to give a specific message to specific people only, and others, through those specific instructions, to give general guidelines to be used for future generations in various spheres of life. 

Surah 60:8-9
“Allah does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you due to your faith or driven you out of your homes.  Allah loves those who deal justly.  Allah only forbids you from those people that fought you because of your faith, drove you out of your homes and helped in your expulsion, that you take them as intimate associates.  And whosoever takes them as intimate associates, then it is they who are the wrongdoers.”

History (NB: I had to copy and paste this from a site too because I didn't want to quote wrongly, I had incomplete knowledge of exact events that led to the revelation and the author was more concise).

After the Muslims had been driven from their homes and persecuted for their faith by the Meccan pagans, they made their new homes in the city of Medina, where the Prophet (peace be upon him) established a constitution of mutual respect and religious tolerance with the People of the Book who already resided there.  After the nascent Muslim community grew stronger and survived a critical test of existence with the Meccan pagans at the battle of Badr, it was brought to light that the political leaders of some of the non-Muslim tribes in Medina, their fellow citizens, had began to have talks with Meccan chiefs to violate their agreement of mutual protection with the Muslims and turn against them in the next confrontation they would have with the pagans.

Many of the Muslims at the time, especially those originally from Medina, had strong bonds with people from the non-Muslim tribes dating back before their Islam.  In the tribal customs of ancient Arabia where personal security rested on pacts and sponsors, this became a conflict of interest, where at one hand Muslims had individual alliances with individuals from the other groups, but on the other hand, their own community faced a serious internal existential threat from those same treacherous contacts.

It was in loyalty to the community of the believers that one noble Companion, ‘Ubadah ibn Samit (may Allah be pleased with him), publically cancelled all of his personal alliances, while the leader of the hypocrites, Abdullah ibn Ubayy, who himself was not inwardly loyal to the Muslims but pretended to be one of them, declared that he would not cancel his alliances with people threatening his community, since if the Muslims ever lost to their enemies, his personal ties would save him from any persecution while his people could suffer.  It was during this display of loyalty and reliance in Allah, versus a show of fickleness and hypocrisy, that Allah Most High revealed this verse.

It was not due to the threatening group being Christian or Jewish in themselves that the prohibition came, as Muslims had far more enmity with Meccan pagans and the fact that the treacherous tribes were “People of the Book”, with a common God and shared spiritual history, actually allowed Muslims to feel closer to them and establish agreements and residence with them initially.  However, groups in the past were divided clearly on the basis of religious affiliation, and so in accordance with the political reality at that time and place, the verse specified those two religions to denote the tribes who identified themselves as such.  The verse also goes on to say that the people of those two groups always support and advocate for their own people, so the budding Muslim community should also support and advocate for each other rather than searching for help outside first.

Check (www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/friends.htm) for more.

Allahu-alam! (Allah knows best!)

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 7:24pm On Oct 09, 2012
In essence, Muslims are allowed to do all things with christians including marry them, except worshipping/praying with them.

Allahu-alam.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by DeepSight(m): 1:05am On Oct 10, 2012
@ OP, Please can you educate me on the position of Islam on Freedom of Religion. Specifically, is it permitted to leave Islam - and what is the prescribed punishment for a person that leaves Islam.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by DeepSight(m): 1:07am On Oct 10, 2012
seunajia: In essence, Muslims are allowed to do all things with christians including marry them, except worshipping/praying with them.

Allahu-alam.

Are muslim women permitted to marry christian men? Thank you.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 6:13am On Oct 10, 2012
@seunajia

Yes, some of my quotes was from an online Quran and a website smiley

Thank you for expounding on Surah 5:51 - I appreciate the explanation. It does make sense in the context you are explaining. However, the intended meaning wasn't only meant for the muslims then or to show a revelation but it applies to us presently as well. Again, a typical example is:

Surah 2:256 - Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. This Surah was written when none of us was born and it was used at a time when the prophet was in a new place. That been said, muslims use it today to explain that Islam is a religion of peace. If I follow your line of thought, it means that muslim shouldn't use it to preach that Islam is peaceful in this dispensation. So, the Surah was written a long time ago in a different context but it is still been used today in another context. That been said, Surah 5:51 and the entire Quran was written hundreds of years ago but it is still referred to in so many ways and different contexts.

Let me give you another example. John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. This statement is over 2000 years ago but it still alive and applies today and Christians refer to it has one of the best scriptures in the Bible.

So, while I agree that you clarified (thank you so much) the revelation and context of Surah 5:51, the application of Surah 5:51 and the entire Quran is not confined to the old context only. The proof of that is because if it was, then you should be reading the Quran as a history book only but not as a holy book. Since that is not the case, we can authoritative state that The Surah was written hundreds of years ago but it's still valid and real today and muslims can apply it in so many domains.

There are hundreds of Surahs that talk on violence and I can bet you when I mention them - your answer will be "You are quoting it out of context". The question you should ask yourself is this - when a boko haram member (who is a muslim by the way)reads any of those Surahs you claim I am quoting out of context, does he understand it in the context you explained or does he read it for what it is?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 7:38am On Oct 10, 2012
Deep Sight:

Are muslim women permitted to marry christian men? Thank you.

It is best for Muslims to marry fellow Muslims, but Islam is a flexible religion, always with a clause/condition.
Allah allows muslims(male and female) to marry THE POEPLE OF THE BOOK, with condition ofcourse.

The verse, which allows marrying the people of the book (Jews and Christian) is as follows:

“This day (all) the good things are allowed to you; and the food of those who have been given the Book is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them; and the chaste (women) from among the believing women and the CHASTE (WOMEN) from among those WHO HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BOOK BEFORE YOU (are lawful for you); when you have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage, not fornicating nor taking them for paramours in secret; and whoever denies faith, his work indeed is of No account, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.” (5:5)

Who in the people of the book?
When the Qur’an allows marriage with the people of the Book it also identifies in detail who these people are. There are two categories among the People of the Book:

“You are the best of the nations raised up for Mankind; you enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong and believe in Allah; and if the PEOPLE OF THE BOOK had believed it would have been better for them; of them are BELIEVERS (Muminoon) and THEIR MAJORITY are transgressors. (Fasiqoon).” (3:110)

The first one being those who are Believers i.e. those who believe and agree to the Qur’anic way of life (Minhum ul Mu’minoon). The second group is the one which is in majority and are called as transgressors (Wa akthara hum ul fasiqoon). This category is the one, which unjustly elevates the status of Jesus and ascribe divinity to his person. In Surah 5 Verse 5, when the permission is granted to marry those who were given the Book before us, then it is pointing towards that category of people who are believers in the Qur’anic message of Monotheism and not to the Mushrik variety, as the latter falls into the category of Fasiqoon on account of their Shirk. 

Among the people of the Book the category of those who have believed in the Qur’an are further mentioned in the following verse:

“They are not all alike; among the PEOPLE OF THE BOOK there is an upright party; THEY RECITE THE AYAT (VERSES) OF ALLAH in the night time and they adore (Him). They BELIEVE in Allah and the last day, and they enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong and they strive with one another in hastening to good deeds, and those are among the good.” (3:113-114)

Allah Knows best!

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 3:36pm On Oct 10, 2012
@seunaija

Reading the Surah you quoted, it never mentioned a Christian man marrying a muslim woman. It was the other way around, muslim men marrying Christian women. I am lifting a section of the Surah "when you have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage". I don't see where it is written that Christian men can marry muslim women. It specifically says when you have given their dowries and we know the text is referring to muslim men.

On the practical side, we see it all over - Muslim men marrying christian women. It's very difficult or nearly impossible to see a Christian man marry a muslim woman. In between, I wish I can address the issue about Monotheism but it will take such a long time and that is for another thread altogether smiley
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by plappville(f): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2012
Discordia:

maybe you never heard the quran was revealed from time to time eh? Different verses revealed at different places and time for different conditions , get it ? So nothing contradict anything
Waoooh, is that all you can say to refute those contradictions? grin grin grin
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 5:13pm On Oct 10, 2012
alexis: @seunaija

Reading the Surah you quoted, it never mentioned a Christian man marrying a muslim woman. It was the other way around, muslim men marrying Christian women. I am lifting a section of the Surah "when you have given them their dowries, taking (them) in marriage". I don't see where it is written that Christian men can marry muslim women. It specifically says when you have given their dowries and we know the text is referring to muslim men.

On the practical side, we see it all over - Muslim men marrying christian women. It's very difficult or nearly impossible to see a Christian man marry a muslim woman. In between, I wish I can address the issue about Monotheism but it will take such a long time and that is for another thread altogether smiley

I'm sorry I've been very busy.

To topic: Neglecting to permit sth is not equivalent to denying or prohibiting it. Other verses talk about it specifically. *It's best muslims marry muslims*.

Those that do it do it not because of Islam but because of love and tradition.

Monotheism? It's a straight forward ish. God is one, has always been one since Adam(PBUH), Abraham(PBUH), Moses(PBUH), John the Baptist(PBUH), Jesus(PBUH) and Muhammed(PBUH). He's not changed, He'll never change. But as you said, let's forget about that till next time.
As I said earlier:

seunajia: In essence, Muslims are allowed to do all things with christians including marry them, except worshipping/praying with them.

Allahu-alam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers? / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.