Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,220 members, 7,836,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians (15444 Views)

Jude Ndukwe: An Open Letter To Mbaka / Funny Questions Nigerian Christians Ask Atheists.. / Nigerian Christians Open Hostility Against Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 2:46am On Oct 09, 2012
Ruth Isaac: OP
nice writeup, keep it up. But 2 b sincere n honest, a muslim girl friend of mine has once told me, dat as a muslim, if u try n Kill even jst one non-muslim, u will enter d Kingdom of Allah, dat is (Paradise awaits u whn u die) n i asked her if she can also kill me, since am not a muslim, but she laugh n said, No because we re friends she cant do dat. Now tell me, is there TWO diff type Islam n we dnt kw? So me as a person, has dis bliv dat a, Muslim can kill a non muslim any day, any time. So jst as u hv d bliv dat Islam is peaceful, dat is d same way other Muslims bliv, in killing 4 Allah.

I'm sorry, but your "muslim girl friend" is IGNORANT. Not all "Muslims" truly understand Islam. Not even some "emirs" and "Mallams" or "alfas".
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 2:49am On Oct 09, 2012
sayit_out1: I appreciate all you just wrote.

But islam encourages that anyone who talks negative about their prophet should be killed. Y?

Did you read that yourself from an Islamic source or you got it from gainsay. Evidence pls?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 2:51am On Oct 09, 2012
SOUTH SOUTH: Why I Left Islam

Of course, we have hundreds of converts from Christianity to Islam too. So, this is no big deal, okay? Inter-religious conversions aren't new and they won't stop happening.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 2:57am On Oct 09, 2012
k9ine: I see this write up suffers from misdirection.

Interestingly, when these supposed muslims suffer retaliation, or government forces use maximum force against these TERRORISTS, the muslims are the first to cry out that their religious brethren are denied their fundamental rights or that government should negotiate with them.

Are you more Islamic than the moslems in Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Pakistan, e.t.c.

In as much you folks say Islam is a religion of peace, your actions (globally) speak otherwise when you celebrate the killings of non-muslims, and fail to call your sons to order.
May the Good God bring peace to our land. Amen.

Now get these:
There's no misdirection here. The piece is meant to change your impression about Islamic teachings.

Of course you know the first set of terrorists in the country to be negotiated with by the FG are not Muslims. You remember the amnesty programme?

Not every country in the middle East is "Islamic". Get that right. We know too, that some people over there who calim to be Muslims have done and are doing many things alien to the religion.

Of course every religion has adherents that practice what is different from what the religion preaches. That's one fact even Christians cannot deny about their religion.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 3:00am On Oct 09, 2012
alexis:
@Basic

I want to thank you for the effort you made to reach out and clarify some things about Islam especially regarding violence. I respect your effort and I wish Muslim leaders could do the same. To save space and time, I will like you and our Muslims friends on NL to teach us and enlighten us about what the Quran says about violence/justification of killing toward non-muslims. It is only fair that you will allow us to research this using the Quran. I also ask that you allow us (non-muslims) to quote from the Quran for clarification and explanation. So, please teach us about what the Quran says regarding violence.

Violence, especially when it's uncalled for (e.g. in situations of self defence) is totally forbidden by Islam. Did you read the second Quranic verse I quoted in the piece? I'll be back with more evidence.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 3:02am On Oct 09, 2012
Beync: OP if you muslims are sincere, why haven't you guys match thru the streets in the north and everywhere denouncing this fraction of muslims called bokoharam if you have nothing to do with them? haven't they shed enough bloods that you muslims should protest against? but you would not hesitate to protest, burn houses and kill innocent people just becos an american made 5munites caricature video of mohammed. actions speaks louder than noise u know? spare us with those bla bla bla and send massages on friday to ur members warning them to desist from plotting evil against non muslims.
it seem u are all the same from the way you are defending previous violence carried out by muslims, that there must have been reasons for their actions. what a lame attempt to defend terror. try harder.

Islam doesn't allow that you risk your lives. These radicals have killed any Muslim that objects to their strange unIslamic ideologies. If you were in our shoes, would you join such a march?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 3:05am On Oct 09, 2012
@Basic,

I like that you take time to be objective and address some statements and posts. You made a few statements and I will like you to throw more light on them.

There are NO contradictions in the Quran. Either some verses were later revealed to abrogate others or that the underlying causes behind their revelations were different or the situations where they are applicable are different. There are hundreds of "contradictions" in the bible too. I hope you know. But I know your pastors too will have "explanations" for that. So, stay away from what you don't know, okay? - By this you mean, Allah will make a revelation and then later cancel it or revoke it with another one? I find this confusing because:

Surah 2:106 - None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: Knowest thou not that Allah Hath power over all things?

You say that things are abrogated or revealed and as a result changed but Surah 2:106 says otherwise. Can you confirm which is correct.

Also, the Quran states that it is immutable in Surah 10:64 - For them are glad tidings, in the life of the present and in the Hereafter; no change can there be in the words of Allah. This is indeed the supreme felicity.

Do you understand my confusion, you say the parts of the Quran was later changed or abrogated for update yet the Quran says that it is immutable. These are some of the things I want you to clarify for me.

On your post - Check your dictionary for the meaning of the word "infidel". Oh let me spare you the stress. The word infidel simply means "someone that does not acknowledge your God". So, it's allowed that we call Christians and other non-Muslims infidels. Similarly, Christians can call Muslims and other non-Christians infidels, just like you refer to us as "unbelievers". You got that? - I agree with you, infidel is the same thing as unbelievers. Christians refers to people that don't believe in Jesus Christ as unbelievers. However, the primary difference is how we treat people that don't believe or accept our religion.

The Quran says in Surah 5:51 - Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost. - Can you explain what the Quran means here? How do you interpret this Surah
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Dynamiq(m): 3:36am On Oct 09, 2012
Basic: In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

I advise every reader of this piece – Christians especially – to read with a plain mind that is free of any prejudice or stereotypes. This missive is addressed mainly at Christians and adherents of other religions in this country as well as any Muslim who may help spread word of it.

It is quite saddening that Boko Haram has done, in the name of Islam, so much evil that the average non-Muslim now has a very ugly perception of the religion and its adherents.

Though the Nigerian media has sometimes gone overboard in their reports (for instance, news spread months ago that a Boko Haram instigated bomb blast occurred in Bauchi, only for the Police to state later that the heard explosion was that of a faulty transformer and not a bomb), this piece does not seek to defend the acts of Boko Haram (in fact, it strongly disapproves of their acts). So, please don't start forming opinions yet.

Read this piece to the end, as it hoped that it would help extinguish the fire of inter-religious animosity raging in our society today – by means of these clarifications:

Clarification #1

You Christians have known we Muslims for years, and you have lived with us for years as well. I’m sure the Muslims you first knew or grew up with never told you that Islam permits unjust killings – not even of non-Muslims. They won't, because they never believed such. If that were part of their belief, they would certainly have attempted killing you. So, their peaceful co-existence with you shows that they had nothing of such as their belief.

But suddenly came a strange group of "Muslims" who kill in the name of Islam. Yet, you conclude that these "vampires" are following the dictates of Islam. Which Islam? A new version of Islam?

So, it is either Boko Haram members are practising a strange Islam or are not practising Islam at all. But the truth remains that our religion has never and will never undergo any kind of metamorphosis. And whatever is not part of it from the outset will never be regarded as being part of it today!

Since unjust, unlawful killings were never part of Islam, they will never be part of Islam, and any individual or group that practices such – even in the name of Islam – will ‘never’ be regarded as Muslims or as fighting for Islam.

Clarification #2

I do see Christians quote Quranic verses inciting Muslims to fight the non-believers. And I have these to say:

Just as you hold that many verses in the Bible have underlying meanings that are beyond the literal implications, we Muslims also hold the same in regards to the Quran. The Quran contains many verses whose meanings are subject to interpretations other than the literal.

So, I advise every truth-seeking non-Muslim to refrain from quoting Quranic verses without deep understanding of the circumstances behind their revelation.

As for the wars fought by the early Muslims, various circumstances led to these, and going into a detailed discussion will be digressive and will make this piece lengthier.

However, know that the wars propagated by the Muslims of old had many strong reasons behind them. And looking at history, no civilisation or revolution came to be without some struggle.

Now the truth: in Nigeria of today, there are NO justifications whatsoever for any Muslim – individual or group – to kill non-Muslims unjustly. In fact, from what I've learned about this religion, NONE – yes, NONE – of the conditions that permit Muslims to fight (such as if they are facing aggression from non-Muslims, and if they are in an Islamic state) is present in the Nigeria of today. Therefore, anyone fighting in the name of Islam is either doing that out of misindoctrination, crass ignorance, or for ulterior reasons.

Once again, Nigeria is not an Islamic state, and no Muslim – except for the misindoctrinated, ignorant, or hypocritical – is permitted to fight in the name of religion.

Clarification #3

Any Muslim individual or group that claims to be fighting for Islam by way of unjust, unwarranted killings is not following the dictates of ‘the’ Islam - and that is even if such were Muslims in the first place.

In a Quranic verse, which, interestingly, those Christians who have never stopped dissecting the Quran never quote, Allah says:

"Allah never forbids you from dealing justly and kindly with those who do not fight you based on your religion and who do not drive you out of your homes. Verily Allah loves those who deal with others with equity" – Quran 60 verse 8.

This verse drives home the fact that Muslims living amidst non-Muslims (in a non-Islamic state) should never fight them except in self-defence.

In another verse, Allah describes the sanctity life in these words:

"Because of that, we ordained for the Children of Israel that anyone who spreads mischief in the land by killing another person unjustly, and not out of retaliation, it would be as if he had killed all of mankind. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind" – Quran 5 verse 32.

So, Islam honours life and is totally against taking it unjustly.

Clarification #4

It would be illogical for any Muslim, after having observed some wrongdoing by a Christian or group of Christians, to conclude that Christianity preaches that wrong act or that all Christians approve of it.

Similarly, it contradicts logic for any Christian, after having observed some wrongdoing by some individuals or groups who claim to be Muslims, to conclude that Islam preaches that wrong act or that all Muslims approve of it.

Get it clear: We Muslims – who really understand the true message of Islam – are totally against the terrorist acts of these bloodsucking "Muslim" groups. In fact, we doubt their being Muslims in the first place. And if they were, either they lost touch of the pristine Islam by getting themselves misindoctrinated, or they are not sincere in their cause (i.e. they have ulterior motives).

Clarification #5

While it is natural for the adherents of any religion to feel enraged when the supreme deity, as held by that religion, is insulted, it is irrational for the adherents to go beyond bounds in their quest for justice – especially when this will involve greater evils like shedding the blood of the innocent.

However, Christians should stop spewing insults at Allah, His Messenger, and at Muslims as a whole. In the Qur'an, Allah has clearly forbidden Muslims from insulting non-Muslims and their religion (Quran 6 verse 108). So, Muslims too should refrain from doing this.

Also, it is far from ideal that a Muslim, in "retaliation" of blasphemy, goes wild, killing innocent lives and destroying property.

Final note

We Muslims are disheartened by the activities of these radicals, and on behalf of every Muslim in this country with a sound, unadulterated Islamic ideology, I state that we are proud of our religion, and we totally and openly disapprove of the acts of BH and their sponsors.

We pray that Allah vindicates His religion by exposing, humiliating, and destroying any individual or group perpetrating evil in the name of Islam.

We also pray that Allah restores peace and security in this country, and make it a haven of tranquility for all – Muslims, Christians, Pagans, and Atheists.

Finally, I advise every person who wishes to study Islam sincerely to look only into authentic sources and try to avoid the press, ignorant and biased non-Muslims, and other sources of baseless gainsay.

Spread word of this piece. Feel free to share with others through any available media. Hopefully, it will help reduce the inter-religious animosity that is thickening in Nigeria today.

Very nice piece. You made my day.
GOD BLESS YOU AND LIFT YOU UP, WHOEVER YOU ARE.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by BinghiNya(m): 4:28am On Oct 09, 2012
the op of this thread is a fool muslims worldwide have nothing to prove to these muthafukkin xtians, you just gave them the chance to spew more bile against islam
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 4:33am On Oct 09, 2012
@BinghiNya - Is that all the input you can give, cursing and profanity?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 5:16am On Oct 09, 2012
When one attempts to dialogue with any Muslim, moderates included, endeavoring to understand the relationship between terrorism and Islam, one is confronted with a response that, in effect, puts the cart before the horse by reversing the order of "cause" and "effect" in a defensive barrage of unrelated events and injustices - all the while admitting no wrongs - which ends up in a form of self-justification of the works of terror. Though the person speaking may, in fact disavow terror as a tactic to achieve redress, their opinion remains as follows:

‘Look what happened in Bosnia, and Herzegovina! See the brutality in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Chechnya, Iraq, Palestine, and now, Lebanon! …

… Look at the vicious and violent acts that are perpetuated even by the American forces and the other occupational forces in Iraq and Afghanistan! Look at the atrocities of Abu Ghraib Prison! …

And… how about the Crusades? The Europeans invaded us and caused conflict for over two hundred years. Conflict that included massive bloodshed and brutality! And, don’t forget what Hitler did to the Jews? Are we responsible for that? …

And…all those injustices to the Arabs in general, and the Palestinians in particular! For example, look at the American support for Israel despite the latter’s violations and rape of the human rights of the Palestinians, and its defiance of all international pronouncements!…Israel… that occupies almost the whole of Palestine, after snatching it from its rightful owners following World War II, then making its women and children homeless, and scattering them all over the world or condemning them to a meagre existence in refugee camps! …

And…what about the practice of violating Islamic holy sites and its historical monuments? …

You see…all these injustices naturally lead to violent reactions, and are the reasons for the retaliation and the terrorism with which Islam gets falsely accused and of which it is fully innocent!…And so, we ask, "Is self defence a crime? Is the Arab and Islamic blood cheap?"

But, they are neglecting to look at the past history of Islam, and at the root of terrorism within the pages of the Qur’an and the related holy books that define and empower Islam. A root which has born bitter fruit throughout the history of Islamic conquest, and would have done the same in our day and age even if there were no Israel, and even if there were no American forces in Muslim lands.

Was the forced expulsion of the Jews and the Christians in AD 635 from the Arabian Peninsula - by the "Just" and so-called "Rightly Guided" Khalifa Umar Ibn Al Khattab - caused by the Israeli occupation of Palestine?

Was the continuous march of Islamic armies to conquer and occupy neighbouring lands, country after country between the 7th and 17th centuries - all the way to the gates of Vienna - caused by the USA’s invasion of Iraq?

Where was Israel at that time? Where was the United States?

Why do the Arabs and the Muslims overlook their own history and their own sacred writings when asked to find a ‘cause’ for terrorism? Especially in view of the established fact that their "holy Jihad" is found recorded in the Qur’an?

Let’s face it, terrorism and violence in Islam is NOT a result of economic and political injustices from which the nations of those regions suffer - as is propounded and perpetuated by well-meaning Westerners, "moderate" Muslim political advisors, and possibly, some think-tank experts.

No, honourable pundits! Terrorism and violence in Islam isn’t a phenomenon due to either political or economic injustices.

No, not at all! In fact the painful truth is that terrorism and violence are fundamental components of Islam. In fact, Islam, without bloodiness and savage brutality, simply is not Islam. Islam without the spilling of blood would wither and die.

However, although the ‘injustices’ suffered are not the actual ‘causes’ of the terror, they are in every sense very real, and one can easily establish that all these injustices of every kind - be they political, economic, or social - are tools, ingredients, and ammunitions, which are being utilized most effectively by the overseers and the recruiters of Islamic terror, to motivate, train, manipulate, and launch new Jihadists for the cause of Allah.

Both real and perceived ‘injustices’ are employed by the terror managers within the various organizations like Al Qaeda and the others to pollute and brainwash the minds of the Muslim youth, for the purpose of ‘bringing them back’ to the true Islam of the Qur’an - which is then able to turn them into self-exploding suicidal martyrs.

What do these young men and women find when they return to the Qur’an with the newly awakened desire and determination to ‘play their part’ in the Islamic ‘struggle’? They find - Islamically speaking - that enmity with the Jews and the Christians and the call for their killing is quite normal, and is actually a divinely ordained obligation which is placed on all Muslims by Allah. And they are further buttressed in their new resolve by the Qur’anic promise that death in the cause of Islam transports one instantly to Paradise. This is the formula for a suicide bomber.

These divine, legally-binding decrees (see below) have been in the Qur’an for nearly 1400 years, empowering and sustaining Jihadists during the first emergence of Islam centuries ago, and now guiding, teaching, unifying and empowering the Jihadists of Al Qaeda and the likes of it, in their current bid for a global resurgence.

Sura 9:29 says: "Fight (slay and kill) those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the last day (judgement day), nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor they follow the religion of truth (the religion of Islam) out of those who have been given the Book (Jews and Christians), until they pay the tax, in acknowledgment of superiority and (recognition that) they are in a state of subjection (to Islam).

Sura 5:82 says: Worst among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) wilt thou find the Jews and pagans.

Sura 5:51 says: O ye who believe, take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors. They are but friends and protectors to each other, and he amongst you that turns to them for friendship is one of them Verily, Allah guideth not a people unjust (Jews and Christians).

Sura 60:1 says: O ye who believe (Muslims) take not my enemies and yours as friends, offering them love.

Sura 98:6 says: Those who reject Islam among the people of the book (Jews and Christians) and among the polytheists (all other religions) will be in hell fire to dwell in there for ever and they are the worst of creatures.

It wasn’t always this way - because in the initial revelations of the Qur’an during those early to middle years of Mohammad’s governance of the nascent Islam, there were benevolent references to Jews and Christians. They were nullified, abrogated and, long before his death, the operative Suras, as quoted above, were already in full force.

In the light of these Qur’anic directives, can it still be said that the Islamic hostility and animosity towards the Jews is engendered only because of their occupation of Palestine? Or is it openly and clearly rooted in the religion itself?

If we were to suppose the possibility that the political, social and economic injustices were to be addressed, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict resolved, and Iraq stabilized, along with the withdrawal of all of the international forces from that country, and all Muslim lands - then, would the Qur’anic "Jihad obligation" be rescinded? If Boko Haram Islamized the north and established a sharia state, will that fix everything?

And if so, would the Qur’anic verse quoted above - Sura 5:51-52 – then be changed to read, "O ye who believe, go ahead and take the Jews and the Christians as your friends"? And Sura 5:82 be changed to read: "… the closest to those who have believed (the Muslims) are the Jews …"?

In other words - does Jihad in Islam come to an end when the injustices are addressed and put right? Would we then, under these ideal conditions have a truly "sustainable peace"? Or, could it be that Jihad can only end when all the peoples of the earth have submitted, surrendered and been Islamised?

@Basic

As I said earlier, I admire you for your boldness in tackling an issue that most muslims shy away from. That been said, I will respond to your clarification in more detail at a later time. Some of your clarification came to conclusions that we need you to prove against the Quran. I personally think you are a reasonable and good person but the theme you are preaching "Let us all get along" whether we are muslims or not might be a step in the right direction but it doesn't do justice to addressing the violence that is taught and encouraged in the Quran.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Basic(m): 5:57am On Oct 09, 2012
BinghiNya: the op of this thread is a fool muslims worldwide have nothing to prove to these muthafukkin xtians, you just gave them the chance to spew more bile against islam
You just showed the extent of your intelligence. If just one person will understand my message, I'm fulfilled.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Jonarinho(m): 6:20am On Oct 09, 2012
angryNO MATA UR EPISTLE>get dis allah is no GOD bt a god>U ALL R BLOOD SUCKING DEMONS. :PNO MATA UR EPISTLE>get dis allah is no GOD bt a god>U ALL R BLOOD SUCKING DEMONS.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 6:26am On Oct 09, 2012
@Jonarinho - You post doesn't reflect any contribution or criticism to the subject. Back your statement up with traceable facts if there are any. That been said, try and respond on subject and not off subject.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by chosenst: 6:45am On Oct 09, 2012
Yes they did not know the Father (God) nor the Son (Jesus), that is why they are killing! Judgement is set against them unless they repent and beg God for forgiveness through the blood of Jesus.
plappville:

[size=14pt](John 16:1-4) 1“All this I have told you so that you will not go astray. 2They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering a service to God. 3They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you.[/size]

Its not only in Nigeria, Its a worldwide killing, you cannot stop it. what does this verse say? Muslims believe they kill for ALLAH abi?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by wisestfool: 7:53am On Oct 09, 2012
I don't know you buh i'm quoting what you just comment on this thread,
that if you are a good christian you shouldn't have posted this type of comment when somebody is trying to explain what Islam is all about..
In that case you are a bad christian and a shame to your FAMILY and whosoevre that knows you
stagger: OP,

When you have people killing innocent people in the name of your religion, nothing you say here will change anything. I have friends who were killed by muslims in several religious riots in the name of your religion. SO personally, there is nothing you will tell me that will make sense, and I speak for almost everyone who has had a friend, relative or family killed by Islamic fanatics in Kaduna, Bauchi, Kano and several places.

So save your breath and epistle and instead, focus your energy on talking to those people you say are giving your religion a bad name. Christians have never attacked muslims unprovoked in Nigeria. It is your fellow muslims who do. So write a letter to the fanatical muslims and talk sense into them if you are so concerned.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by wisestfool: 7:58am On Oct 09, 2012
What part of Quran is that that stated the killing of the christians?
Bastard
papa giddy: let that part in d quran that instruct muslims to kill christains be remove first then we can talk,coz any muslim is a potential killer !
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Beync(f): 8:08am On Oct 09, 2012
Basic:

Islam doesn't allow that you risk your lives. These radicals have killed any Muslim that objects to their strange unIslamic ideologies. If you were in our shoes, would you join such a march?
then what is jihad if you cannot speak and protest against the highest evil of killing innocent people? i red where u said when a muslim speak against evil he/she has done jihad.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by prettyboi1(m): 10:14am On Oct 09, 2012
I don't have much to say,except that most of the so-called Christians that have replied to this post are not better than those boko haram criminals. I'm a Christian myself,but why should I judge a collection of people based on the acts of some of them only? Most of the world believes Nigerians are thieves & crooks. Does this make all of us (Nigerians) thieves & crooks just because a lot of Nigerians have been found guilty of different crimes? I certainly ain't a thief/fraudster/crook. If you are,then good for you. Someone just came in peace to say that "yes! Many people have tarnished the image of Islam,but that not all Muslims are evil or violent" & my so called Christian brothers here are still insistent. You guys still insisting otherwise & insulting another man's religion because of the bad eggs has justified the fact that because a lot of Nigerians have been terrible,therefore at every occasion that Nigerians are at,we should be watched more preferentially because WE ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE. We should all be searched specially at every airport because WE ARE ALL BAD PEOPLE etc. My Bible tells me " Matthew 7:5 ESV

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by FindOut(m): 11:18am On Oct 09, 2012
R2bees: the person that post dis should go to hell, i dnt care, so far una quaran tell you guys to fight against people dat doesnt believe in una quaran, u pple are muderers....muslim pple are muderers....our bible tells us 2 pray and preach to unbelievers nd nt killing them..

did ur bible also tell u to call all d 'unbelievers' murderers and wish them journey mercies to hell as u've done here?

Have you done any ''prayer and preaching'' here?

Blo.ody hypocrite. You are obviously not a gud xtian urself....probably almost as bad (in speech) as Abu Qaqa & Shekau.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by FindOut(m): 11:42am On Oct 09, 2012
freecocoa: Come all you people saying rubbish about only a few muslims giving the religion a bad name should STFU cos y'all don't know what you are saying, which few? Just who told you that the evil ones amongst them are few? Bia Afam4ever akpasukwana'm iwe, kedu ife na eme gi sef? Nna take kwa time o.

If anything sef, the good ones are few, since y'all claim there are just a few bad eggs spoiling una name, why can't the good ones stop them? I thought there's strength in number, how come very few evil people has been reigning and shining over the good ones for ages? You people should respect yourselves and say the truth for once, islam is violent and condones it so stop trying to put up appearances ojare.
Afam e kwuo rubbish ebea ozo, walai I go e-slap you. angry

Not surprising from Madam 'Hian'. I've always refrained myself from quoting and replying your very childish posts but i'll make an exception here. Afam4eva has said the truth & u are here castigating him.

Maybe u were busy posting a childish comment (not unsual) in the romance section when news items of clerics openly condemning bokoharam, muslims killed by bokoharam including clerics, were posted on the politics section. A google search will do you some good.

How do you people live with soo much hatred in your hearts towards muslims? & I wont be surprised if a muslim has done you a favour at least once in ur life. The sooner you learn to distinguish a person from his religion, the better for you.

OP has presented this issue clearly. Further comments from posters ecpecially QueenAw have added to educate the unbiased and unbigoted mind. I sincerely hope (& suspect) you are not yet 20 but even if you are young, its better to start adopting the mindset of REASONABLE adults when addressing issues.

Peace.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by FindOut(m): 11:51am On Oct 09, 2012
Aizek B: As a northerner i disagree wit u i only agree with d statement in clarification 1 which says Nigeria is nt an islamic state yes b4 na islam get am n chairman let tel u sometin as a northerner any muslim dat doesnt kil is nt practicing islam. Nw tel me y is it dat no muslim is aloud 2 hold d quran unles d malam. D reason is if they alow u guys 2 hold d quran u wil no d truth n wil nt folow their acts so they are d only ones that read n interprete it 4 u. If u are doubting me log unto www.faithfreedom.org. So guy no even tink say u wan wash person 4 here abeg. Na 2day?

u see what we are saying....& OP has treated this o.

Classic example of intellectual laziness sir. A simple visit to any mosque will dispute the trash u just posted about only ''the malams'' allowed to hold the Quran. Infact, reading of the Quran & its translation (for those who dont understand arabic) is more or less compulsory for every single muslim. Continue tapping your sources of islamic knowledge from clearly biased websites. Keep it up.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 09, 2012
ashson: i wonder if you are nigerian, or ever lived in nigeria. most of the riots that claimed many live were started by christians. for e.g. in kaduna, on several occations and places, christians started killing muslims and the muslims only retaliate. not to talk of those killed in cold blood day after day. likewise in jos and adamawa. it is against islam to kill any innocent live, infact any true muslim knows that it is against islam to protest. nigeria is not only for muslims or christians only. we muslims are thought how to live with any non-muslim. anybody that kills innocent lives is not doing it in the name of islam. i never here any pastor or christian quoting the bible and preaching to their fellows to live peacefully with non-christians, why?

What are you rambling about?? FYI I live in Adamawa and there has been no time where there was a riot and it was cristians who started it. Lemme count them, maitasine na christian start am? CPC crisis wetin the poor christians do muslims wey dem kill dem? How is that retaliation? In Mubi Igbo people where killed and Pastors where killed in Apostolic Faith Church. What were the muslims retaliating to? Now in Mubi over 50 christian students were murdered in cold bold and you are here twisting stories just like Islam has asked you to do. We know the truth and all your propaganda will take you no where!! Your post is one of the facts the renforces our belief that Islam is Violent!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by jbon: 2:16pm On Oct 09, 2012
I want to apprerciate this post even though i m a christian fundamentalist, i pray that the likes of u may increase while the likes of boko harms may reduce if not complet eradication from our society so that Islam may be truely seen as a religion of peace in Jesus Name. the Reason while while people react towards Islam because of what is happening is that , you cannot beat a child and stop him from crying and when they cry, they do in different ways . but Iencourage christians and and other people who react to boko haram issues to realised that if you include inocent people in your condemnation against boko haram activity, you will answer for it on the last day, therefore speak out but do not sin. .
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by jbon: 2:35pm On Oct 09, 2012
One of the problems we have in the Islamic worldis that, Islamic exremist theologist are fast increasing in the world and too many adherents to Islam enrolled in their classes as this extremist travelled world wide . the graduants and their children have equally been raised as Islamic extremist. the more they increase the more violence increase in the Islamic world. the central teaching they propagate is ; non Muslims more expecially are infedel kill them when ever uou see them . these are the people who gave us the idea of the verse some christians now quote to criticise the religion. how many Christian can read Arabic, and how many have time to take translated Quran and start searching to bring out some of these verses that instigate people to kill if not these fundamentalist. the solution to the problem is harmonised interpretation and teaching of Quran and any violation should be treated with sharia law. we say many peoples had been cut some recieved 100 strokes of cane because they violate Islamic law, is there punishment for misinterpreting Quranic verses to the degrading of the religion as boko haram is doing, has any one beeb punished according to sharia.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
The moderator is this thread blocked my IP address, I wish I knew why!. I ask that you state the reason the next time when you block it.

Blocking my IP address is not going to prevent me from posting. I thought I let you know so you don't waste your time smiley

Like I said earlier, the original poster seems to have good intentions regarding this subject. However, his clarifications are not coherent with the Quran, at least not the one that everyone is quoting from. So, while we appreciate his intentions, the Quran, Hadith and history tells us otherwise. You can't explain away or ignore the many verses that encourage violence in the Quran. Non-muslims see the violence and killings on the news and at such want to understand WHY these are happening. So, the Quran is being read by more non-muslims to understand it's message about peace and violence. The violence is not propagated against non-muslims only but also against other sects of Islam. The focus here is what is being taught in the Quran.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by jbon: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
when you read what most of the so called christians on nairaland post and comment against any man of God , or christianity or anything related to church , you will begin to wonder weither they are christians at all. if they condemn Islam , it is not because they are too religious or love the God they serve, it is because they have problem in manner. not truelly converted or not a christian at all.True christians must have self control in their speach even if he is dealing with his enemy talkless of people from other faith .L et everyone be committed in correcting the wrong practise in their religion .finally their should be religious discipline for those who are given our religion bad names.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
wisestfool: What part of Quran is that that stated the killing of the christians?
Bastard

See for yourself:

1. Surah 5:51 - O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

I don't know how you interpret this but this Surah is saying don't be friends with Christians. To answer your questions, here is the Surah that states killing unbelievers taught and encouraged. Please confirm is unbeliever means anyone who is not a muslim. That description fits Christians as well.

2. Surah 47:4 - Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers, smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly: thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been Allah's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of Allah,- He will never let their deeds be lost.

Let us say the above Surah is taken out of context or I read it wrong, what about

3. Surah 8:12 - Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them."

@wisestfool - Please comment
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by seunajia: 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2012
alexis: The moderator is this thread blocked my IP address, I wish I knew why!. I ask that you state the reason the next time when you block it.

Blocking my IP address is not going to prevent me from posting. I thought I let you know so you don't waste your time smiley

Like I said earlier, the original poster seems to have good intentions regarding this subject. However, his clarifications are not coherent with the Quran, at least not the one that everyone is quoting from. So, while we appreciate his intentions, the Quran, Hadith and history tells us otherwise. You can't explain away or ignore the many verses that encourage violence in the Quran. Non-muslims see the violence and killings on the news and at such want to understand WHY these are happening. So, the Quran is being read by more non-muslims to understand it's message about peace and violence. The violence is not propagated against non-muslims only but also against other sects of Islam. The focus here is what is being taught in the Quran.

Stop bothering yourself, most of those things you quote were quoted out of context.

Imagine myself bringing up the episode, before Galilee, when Jesus(PBUH) asked his disciples to sell their properties to buy weapons to defend themselves when he was about being arrested by the Roman guards as an act that encourages violence/killing?

Holy books have commentaries because it's easy for surface readers and, copy and pasters to quote out of context.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by dadicvila(m): 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2012
zaibatsu: @OP
Quite sadly, I must say that either you are playing the ostrich, or just being plain deceptive. I have lived in northern Nigeria and occasionally witnessed completely unprovoked attacks against Christians. I have seen my educated Muslim peers salivating over some horrible videos of beheadings in the Middle East and Nigeria. I have seen disagreements over something as trivial as a soccer match result in mob action against an "infidel". Most Christians that have spent some time in the North have been serially traumatised by the perennial crises and their attendant murder sprees over every thing from an eclipse of the moon, to the Danish cartoon issue. I have witnessed thinly veiled hatred that sometimes results in frightening outbursts of religious mania from Muslims whom you claim are against "unprovoked violence". I do have a few Muslim peers whom I'm proud to call my friends, but the "bad eggs" are in the overwhelming majority.

Sir, kindly take your missive to the place it's needed most. Take it to your people who hold on to hatred as the only crutch in their lives. Take it to those whom always promise Christians things like "By the next crisis, we'll finish all of you". People who premeditate violence and glory in murder and savagery. Our ears are tired of hearing your words while we bury our brothers.
God bless you
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by OILOFGLADNESS: 3:50pm On Oct 09, 2012
Basic: In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

I advise every reader of this piece – Christians especially – to read with a plain mind that is free of any prejudice or stereotypes. This missive is addressed mainly at Christians and adherents of other religions in this country as well as any Muslim who may help spread word of it.

It is quite saddening that Boko Haram has done, in the name of Islam, so much evil that the average non-Muslim now has a very ugly perception of the religion and its adherents.

Though the Nigerian media has sometimes gone overboard in their reports (for instance, news spread months ago that a Boko Haram instigated bomb blast occurred in Bauchi, only for the Police to state later that the heard explosion was that of a faulty transformer and not a bomb), this piece does not seek to defend the acts of Boko Haram (in fact, it strongly disapproves of their acts). So, please don't start forming opinions yet.

Read this piece to the end, as it hoped that it would help extinguish the fire of inter-religious animosity raging in our society today – by means of these clarifications:

Clarification #1

You Christians have known we Muslims for years, and you have lived with us for years as well. I’m sure the Muslims you first knew or grew up with never told you that Islam permits unjust killings – not even of non-Muslims. They won't, because they never believed such. If that were part of their belief, they would certainly have attempted killing you. So, their peaceful co-existence with you shows that they had nothing of such as their belief.

But suddenly came a strange group of "Muslims" who kill in the name of Islam. Yet, you conclude that these "vampires" are following the dictates of Islam. Which Islam? A new version of Islam?

So, it is either Boko Haram members are practising a strange Islam or are not practising Islam at all. But the truth remains that our religion has never and will never undergo any kind of metamorphosis. And whatever is not part of it from the outset will never be regarded as being part of it today!

Since unjust, unlawful killings were never part of Islam, they will never be part of Islam, and any individual or group that practices such – even in the name of Islam – will ‘never’ be regarded as Muslims or as fighting for Islam.

Clarification #2

I do see Christians quote Quranic verses inciting Muslims to fight the non-believers. And I have these to say:

Just as you hold that many verses in the Bible have underlying meanings that are beyond the literal implications, we Muslims also hold the same in regards to the Quran. The Quran contains many verses whose meanings are subject to interpretations other than the literal.

So, I advise every truth-seeking non-Muslim to refrain from quoting Quranic verses without deep understanding of the circumstances behind their revelation.

As for the wars fought by the early Muslims, various circumstances led to these, and going into a detailed discussion will be digressive and will make this piece lengthier.

However, know that the wars propagated by the Muslims of old had many strong reasons behind them. And looking at history, no civilisation or revolution came to be without some struggle.

Now the truth: in Nigeria of today, there are NO justifications whatsoever for any Muslim – individual or group – to kill non-Muslims unjustly. In fact, from what I've learned about this religion, NONE – yes, NONE – of the conditions that permit Muslims to fight (such as if they are facing aggression from non-Muslims, and if they are in an Islamic state) is present in the Nigeria of today. Therefore, anyone fighting in the name of Islam is either doing that out of misindoctrination, crass ignorance, or for ulterior reasons.

Once again, Nigeria is not an Islamic state, and no Muslim – except for the misindoctrinated, ignorant, or hypocritical – is permitted to fight in the name of religion.

Clarification #3

Any Muslim individual or group that claims to be fighting for Islam by way of unjust, unwarranted killings is not following the dictates of ‘the’ Islam - and that is even if such were Muslims in the first place.

In a Quranic verse, which, interestingly, those Christians who have never stopped dissecting the Quran never quote, Allah says:

"Allah never forbids you from dealing justly and kindly with those who do not fight you based on your religion and who do not drive you out of your homes. Verily Allah loves those who deal with others with equity" – Quran 60 verse 8.

This verse drives home the fact that Muslims living amidst non-Muslims (in a non-Islamic state) should never fight them except in self-defence.

"Because of that, we ordained for the Children of Israel that anyone who spreads mischief in the land by killing another person unjustly, and not out of retaliation, it would be as if he had killed all of mankind. And if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind" – Quran 5 verse 32.

Clarification #4

It would be illogical for any Muslim, after having observed some wrongdoing by a Christian or group of Christians, to conclude that Christianity preaches that wrong act or that all Christians approve of it.

Similarly, it contradicts logic for any Christian, after having observed some wrongdoing by some individuals or groups who claim to be Muslims, to conclude that Islam preaches that wrong act or that all Muslims approve of it.

Get it clear: We Muslims – who really understand the true message of Islam – are totally against the terrorist acts of these bloodsucking "Muslim" groups. In fact, we doubt their being Muslims in the first place. And if they were, either they lost touch of the pristine Islam by getting themselves misindoctrinated, or they are not sincere in their cause (i.e. they have ulterior motives).

Clarification #5

While it is natural for the adherents of any religion to feel enraged when the supreme deity, as held by that religion, is insulted, it is irrational for the adherents to go beyond bounds in their quest for justice – especially when this will involve greater evils like shedding the blood of the innocent.

However, Christians should stop spewing insults at Allah, His Messenger, and at Muslims as a whole. In the Qur'an, Allah has clearly forbidden Muslims from insulting non-Muslims and their religion (Quran 6 verse 108). So, Muslims too should refrain from doing this.

Also, it is far from ideal that a Muslim, in "retaliation" of blasphemy, goes wild, killing innocent lives and destroying property.

Final note

We Muslims are disheartened by the activities of these radicals, and on behalf of every Muslim in this country with a sound, unadulterated Islamic ideology, I state that we are proud of our religion, and we totally and openly disapprove of the acts of BH and their sponsors.

We pray that Allah vindicates His religion by exposing, humiliating, and destroying any individual or group perpetrating evil in the name of Islam.

We also pray that Allah restores peace and security in this country, and make it a haven of tranquility for all – Muslims, Christians, Pagans, and Atheists.

Finally, I advise every person who wishes to study Islam sincerely to look only into authentic sources and try to avoid the press, ignorant and biased non-Muslims, and other sources of baseless gainsay.

Spread word of this piece. Feel free to share with others through any available media. Hopefully, it will help reduce the inter-religious animosity that is thickening in Nigeria today.

mr. Basic. i served in sokoto and because of my nature of learning and curiosity, i met a muslim friend a guy for that matter, wich after many discussion and about christianity and muslim, he confinded in me that He is scared cos if he repents He will be killed

Now i ask a question, if muslim is not in suport of violence why are they always taking the keen at killing and purnishing anyone that decided to change from islam to christianity? please i demand an asnswer.

mind you i am not disputing your explanations,
Basic: [b]In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. May peace be upon whosoever follows guidance.

Clarification #1

Clarification #2

Clarification #3

Clarification #4

Clarification #5

Final note

mr. Basic. i served in sokoto and because of my nature of learning and curiosity, i met a muslim friend a guy for that matter, wich after many discussion and about christianity and muslim, he confinded in me that He is scared cos if he repents He will be killed

Now i ask a question, if muslim is not in suport of violence why are they always taking the keen at killing and purnishing anyone that decided to change from islam to christianity? please i demand an asnswer.

mind you i am not disputing your explanations, [/b]

Clarification #1

Clarification #2

Clarification #3

Clarification #4

Clarification #5

Final note

mind you i am not disputing your explanations, I AM VERY SURE THAT YOU ARE A YORUBA MUSLIM THAT IS WHY YOU DONT REALY KNOW THE INDEPTH OF THIS RELIGION. SOKOTO IS THE SEAT OS CALIPHATE, "MOSALASI IN SOKOTO " NCCF VISITED THERE FOR RURAL RUGGED TO SHOW THEM LOVE AND RENDER CHARITY WORK WHICH JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOR THOUGHT US (RURAK RUGGED).

ANOTHER QUESTION, EVEN BEFOR BOKOHARAM (IN 2009/2010) I WA IN SOKOTO, THERE HAS BEEN ATTCK IN JUST BY MUSLIM AND THIS RESULTED TO MUSLIM IN SOKOTO TO START BURNING CHURCHES AND ATTACKING NON MUSLIMS ESPECIALLY IGBOS COS THEY BELIVE THAT MOST YORUBAS PRACTICE THEIR RELIGION. I KNOW OF A FAMILY THAT THE HOUSE WAS BURNT, I KNOW OF HOW MANY PEOPLES CAR THAT WAS BURNT, I KNOW OF CHURCHES,IN THESE STATES WE CHRISTIANS ARE NOT FREE ALL, OUR CHRISTINITY PRACTICE IS WITH WISDOM AND IN SECRET NO CHURCH POSTER, NO LOUDSPAEKER, NO CRUSADE ETC, BUT MUSLIMS ARE FREE ANYWHERE THEY G O TO DOWHATEVER THEY LIKE, THEY HAVE THEIR MOSQUE EVEN HERE IN OUR COY AND EVEN ONE OF OUR MANAGERS PRAY THEIR PRAYER IN HIS OFICE NOBODY DISTURBS THEM, BUT YOU DARE NOT TRY THAT IN THE MUSLIM STATES.WHY?
THANK GOD NCCF WAS HAVING THERE PROGRAM AT BARACKS SO WE WERE WARNED NEVER TO LEAVE UNTILL THE ARMIES AND MOPOLS STABLIZES THING

THANKG GOD FOR THE SULTAN , THE IGBO ASSOCIATION MET HIM AND ASK HIM IF THET SHOULD LEAVE THEIR STATE FOR THEM , HE SAID AND THAT WAS WHEN ARMY WAS MOBILISED IN SOKOTO FRO SECURITY

GUY THE LONG AND SHORT OS ALL IS THAT ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF VIOLENCE, AND THAT YOU ARE A YORUBA MUSLIM, YOU DONT KNOW UR RELIGION WELL

GOD BLESS YOU, MIND YOU I STILL HAVE MANY MUSLIM FRIENDS, I AM NOT DISCRIMNATING NOR SEGREGATING COS MY GOD NEVER TOT ME THAT, BUT JUST TELLING YOU THE FACT.

BYE TILL I SEE YOUR REPLY
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Christians by alexis(m): 4:17pm On Oct 09, 2012
Dear Moderator - I have told you, blocking my IP address aint gonna worksmiley.

@seunajia

Interesting, so every Surah I quote is out of context - perhaps you can explain how. I have asked @Basic and others to explain them but so far the response has been google it or you are quoting out of context. To me, that is a cheap way of tackling the issue. Your claim that we are surface readers fails to do justice to the question we want you to clarify. So far, you have failed to address.

Bringing other religions down to the level of Islam is one of the most popular strategies of Muslim apologists (yourself) when confronted with the spectacle of Islamic violence. Muslims who compare crime committed by people who happen to be nominal members of other religions to religious terror committed explicitly in the name of Islam are comparing apples to oranges.

Very interesting point you brought up about Jesus asking his disciples to sell their properties to buy swords. I could have said you are quoting it out of context but I will take the time to explain it to you. What was Jesus response when one of his disciples cut of the ear of a Roman guard?:

A rebuke is recorded in three of the four gospels: Matthew 26:52 ('"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.'), Luke 22:51 ('But Jesus answered, "No more of this!" And he touched the man's ear and healed him.'), and John 18:11 ('Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"'). Mark does not record a rebuke, but does note that while one disciple used a sword, Jesus allowed himself to be arrested peacefully.. Jesus taught peace. He never encouraged violence or killed anyone. His life is the example that Christians want to emulate. Again, please explain and clarify those verses we are taking out of context.

No other religion produces the killing sprees that Islam does nearly every day of the year. Neither do they have verses in their holy texts that arguably support it. Nor do they have large groups across the globe dedicated to the mass murder of people who worship a different god, as the broader community of believers struggles with ambivalence and tolerance for a radical clergy that supports the terror. Muslims may like to pretend that other religions are just as subject to "misinterpretation" as is their “perfect” one, but the reality speaks of something far worse. Does all muslim support this - I honestly don't think so. There are regular muslim folks who want to lead normal lives and don't subscribe to violence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers? / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 210
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.