Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,246 members, 7,860,562 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:39 PM

Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? (12436 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / Is Christianity A Confused Religion Or A Religion Of Confused People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by mlksbaby(f): 4:39pm On May 21, 2006
>>>this Swedish babe [my friend] is beginning to like Nigerians! she's asking me if I'd like to visit Nigeria this summer so that she could come along. Imagine!!<<<
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by jeffolala(f): 9:42am On May 22, 2006
Hi

Christianity is not a religion , it is the life of CHRIST in you,Christianity is Divinity at work in Humanity , a lot of time many thinks it is something that is made to make one hjappy , Chtristianity is GOD at work in you, it is not a way of life, it is not a life style, it is a special life, if you truely believe there is a GOD.

Christianity is at work in you

Please read Romans 8,19-30

The Bible clearly declare "CHRIST IN YOU THE HOPE OF GLORY" Therefore Christianity could not have been a way of life, it is the life of CHRIST in you. the CHRIST life in you.

We have the Grace of GOD upon our lives , when we grow in Grace, and in the Knowledge of our SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST, the CHRIST life is manifested in you.i.e you live your life the CHRIST way.

Grace is the revelation of the beauty of GOD in your life, the expression of Divinity and that life of CHRIST is in you, thats why the Bible says "we should grow in Grace", in other words, let GOD be Continually Manifested in your LIFE.

When you are Born-Again and confess JESUS CHRIST as your LORD and SAVIOUR , that Life of CHRIST is at Work in you.
and that life is not subject to :
Sickness, poverty, lack etc, it a Christian Life, a life of Sucess, Divine Health , Prosperity .

Thank GOD i'm a Christian.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by jeffolala(f): 9:47am On May 22, 2006
Hi

Christianity is not a religion , it is the life of CHRIST in you,Christianity is Divinity at work in Humanity , a lot of time many thinks it is something that is made to make one hjappy , Chtristianity is GOD at work in you, it is not a way of life, it is not a life style, it is a special life, if you truely believe there is a GOD.

Christianity is at work in you

Please read Romans 8,19-30

The Bible clearly declare "CHRIST IN YOU THE HOPE OF GLORY" Therefore Christianity could not have been a way of life, it is the life of CHRIST in you. the CHRIST life in you.

We have the Grace of GOD upon our lives , when we grow in Grace, and in the Knowledge of our SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST, the CHRIST life is manifested in you.i.e you live your life the CHRIST way.

Grace is the revelation of the beauty of GOD in your life, the expression of Divinity and that life of CHRIST is in you, thats why the Bible says "we should grow in Grace", in other words, let GOD be Continually Manifested in your LIFE.

When you are Born-Again and confess JESUS CHRIST as your LORD and SAVIOUR , that Life of CHRIST is at Work in you.
and that life is not subject to :
Sickness, poverty, lack etc, it a Christian Life, a life of Sucess, Divine Health , Prosperity .

Thank GOD i'm a Christian.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by Nosu(m): 2:02am On May 23, 2006
l appreciate ur contribute and l hv learnt a lot from ur post.
Personally, l don't see christianity as a religion, religion is from the word religious that is doing thing in accordance to a set rules. For example u must pray at a particular time, u must at a certain place to prayer, the worhip building must be built in this direction etc. And that was whyJesus told the samaritian women that very soon pple will not worshipping God at the mountain again, but those that must worship God must will him in spirit and in truth.
and l also believe in the guy that say it is a state of existence.because when u come to christ everything about u changes, ur citizenship,UR PASSWORD, ur password,ur license, ur account . u become a small g GOD and u fellowship with God, u live like christ. ur password become ' what will Jesus do" wwjd. It is a way of life because christ came to show us the way back to the kingdom and that is why is his the truth, the way and the life no one cometh to the father except thru him
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by blueiyke(m): 10:42am On May 23, 2006
Personally,I think Christianity is much more than a religion.Religion simply means the ways man look or search for God.Classifying Christianity as a religion means bunching Christianity together with others like Islam,Hinduism,Traditional Religion,Animism etc.

On the other hand,terming Christianity as a way of life is putting it mildly.Christianity simply put,is the pulsating life of God tabernacled in a human body.Now, I'm talking practical Christianity and not just "church-going". Christianity means God's hand of fellowship extended to man.In Christianity,God has found man.Man is no longer looking for Him in the dark.That is religion.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by mlksbaby(f): 11:19am On May 23, 2006
Hmmm, interesting. The list is growing and we are learning by the day. So, let's see what we have so far -

Christianity is ~

A Religion. . .

A way of life . . .

A Relationship . . .

A King and His Kids . . .

A State of Being . . .

A Form of Existence . . .

A Special Life . . .

Divinity at Work in Humanity . . .

God's Hand of Fellowship Extended to Man . . .

The Life of Christ in You . . .

The Pulsating Life of God Tabernacled in a Human Body.

. . . there's still space to add some more; so let others get to work.

Like I said, Christianity is not either this, that, or the other: it is all of the above. It depends on who is defining what, and for what purpose(s) such definitions are given.

For those who say that Christianity is not a religion at all, the problem could be solved by turning over to James 1:27 and reading with an open mind to decide whether that verse ("pure religion and undefiled"wink was speaking about others like Islam, Hinduism, Traditional Religion, Animism etc. If that's the case, it would clearly mean that such "pure religion(s) and undefiled" are acceptable before God and the Father! You disagree? Good then. So, what is James 1:27 talking about?

This question that seems to churn the stomach of many is that we often look away from the Bible and want to re-define what it says. I have no problem accepting James 1:27 - it says what it says and means precisely what it says, that Christianity is "pure religion and undefiled" before God and the Father. QED.

It is all that has been listed by the several inputs, which I have outlined. Christianity is a way of life; a religion on its own merit; a relationship; and everything else said so far. To favour one and disregard the others will only make sense if you can prove from the Bible that the others are not valid. Until then, let the list grow. I'll add a few:

Christianity is also ~

A Life of the Spirit of God - Romans 8:14

Bearing your cross and following Jesus daily - Matt. 10:38

Knowing God intimately as Jesus came to reveal - John 17:3

Obeying all that Jesus has taught - Matt. 28: 20

A Life of Suffering for Jesus' Sake - Phil. 1:29

. . . and the list goes on.

People, Christianity is all of the above.  cheesy
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by dominobaby(f): 11:33am On May 23, 2006
Yeah, i like ur summary of christianity, m'baby.
As long as christ is ur focus, cos truly without CHRIST, I Am Nothing.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by xkape(m): 9:58am On May 25, 2006

This question that seems to churn the stomach of many is that we often look away from the Bible and want to re-define what it says. I have no problem accepting James 1:27 - it says what it says and means precisely what it says, that Christianity is "pure religion and undefiled" before God and the Father. QED.

sorry i have to disagree with u grin grin
At the time Jesus was talking christianity did not even exist. He had to die and resurect before the first christians could be born.
Note that he was making a clear point that acceptable religion or sacrifice or acceptable actions before God , that are undefiled by other motives is. Giving selflessly. All the other paraphenelia like places of worship, garments of worship, objects of reverence and so on are irrelevant in the end.
For a christian giving selflessly is still acceptable before God. For others, its cool too. But religion pure or impure is not all God accepts from us
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by syrup(f): 8:35am On May 26, 2006
@xkape,

I think what mlks_baby said are quite in order. When you carefully read James 1:27, Christianity was already in existence when he penned that verse. And there's no other faith or religion alluded to in that verse than Christianity. Think about it: what is pure and acceptable before the Father if it falls short of the glory of God, regardless the motive? And who was James addressing - Christians or others? Are you saying that in spite of the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross, other religious activities are 'pure and undefiled' as well before God and the Father according to that verse in James?

"All the other paraphenelia like places of worship, garments of worship, objects of reverence and so on are irrelevant in the end."

Agreed. However, I don't see what you're disagreeing about in previous posts.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by xkape(m): 5:39pm On May 26, 2006
syrup:

@xkape,

I think what mlks_baby said are quite in order. When you carefully read James 1:27, Christianity was already in existence when he penned that verse. And there's no other faith or religion alluded to in that verse than Christianity. Think about it: what is pure and acceptable before the Father if it falls short of the glory of God, regardless the motive? And who was James addressing - Christians or others? Are you saying that in spite of the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross, other religious activities are 'pure and undefiled' as well before God and the Father according to that verse in James?

"All the other paraphenelia like places of worship, garments of worship, objects of reverence and so on are irrelevant in the end."

Agreed. However, I don't see what you're disagreeing about in previous posts.
@ syrup
Sorry, My Bad grin grin grin
I got my verses a little mixed up there, i thought James was  quotiing another scripture

Anyway, what i meant was that giving selflessing comes from a pure and honest heart. About other peoples and other religions; the bible talks about their concience being a law unto them either condeming or saving them when they did not have the law. So if u look at it from this perspective giving from a pure motive is undefiled and acceptable. I am not outlining a doctrine or anything just a thought. And we do know God deals with people on the level of knowledge they have of him
And religious practice itself can be classified under what paul calls works, whether good or bad, works cannot save anybody.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by syrup(f): 1:55am On May 27, 2006
@xkape,

We learn everyday.

I don't have all the answers, but I see your point. True talk, that religion (in the sense of works - good or bad) does not save anyone. Faith in Jesus Christ guarantees salvation; and the saved demonstrate the reality of their faith by good works.

Enjoy.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by jerrymania(m): 12:28am On Sep 13, 2006
It all started from Ishmael and Isaac now its Christianity and Islam, can anyone figure this out? is Islam a religion of violence and jihad? does islam assure any one salvation and inner peace? really think about it does any one get healed in islam? or is it just another heretic society,

The Holy Spirit gave me a message (which i'm very happy Pastors around the world are sounding the message) that Christianity is not a religion, its a way of LIFE, (you should know whats religion when you hear of Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism e.t.c)

Please get it to your head, its not all about going to church on sundays and fellowships then the rest days are used for indulgence in worldly matters, we are in the world but not of the world, If you are still viewing it as a religion i want you to change because once Jesus Christ enters your life all you can ever think of is the Kingdom of God and what you can do for humanity.

(The bird picture is not the Holy Ghost, its my depiction of God's peace)

Think about it!

Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by Seun(m): 10:05am On Sep 13, 2006
Every religion is a way of life for its most faithful adherents. Christianity and Islam are not exceptions.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by mrmayor(m): 11:05am On Sep 13, 2006
Seun:

Every religion is a way of life for its most faithful adherents. Christianity and Islam are not exceptions.

True talk.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by Pepeye(f): 1:32pm On Nov 20, 2007
Christianity is NOT a religion but a way of LIFE. Christ in you the hope of Glory
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by EdetOkon: 3:41pm On Nov 26, 2009
Christianity which is the completion of Judaism is a LOVE relationship with Elohim, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. This love(Ahava) relationship has no limits, cannot be fully explained and understood by humans minds and is a covenant-type relationship in which Elohim says you are Mine and I Am yours, You are My people and I Am your God. This Ahava relationship can be seen for example in Yeshua dieing on the Cross of Calvary for our salvation although we don't deserve it. This is just one of the ways in which Elohim expresses His LOVE for us. HANUKKAH is coming soon, GET READY.
Ahava Yeshua.

@ jeffolala
Yes its special and is a gathering of the choosen.
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by Pygru: 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
kimba: Let me rather give my own testimony:

Christianity to me was a religion when:
1) Everything I did was out of compulsion, because i really wanted to have my own way, but time and chance did not permit, and secretly i was waiting for when ill turn 18. The hardest thing in my whole life was to obey my parents, say im sorry, to close my eyes in prayer was the next abomination, i was just plain adamant, i resisted everything about God and good. Twas as if I should go live on my own planet. What i was interested in was all disorderliness, a rough lifestyle, causing trouble and disrupting the peace. I even wanted to join the army so i could beat up somebody.
2) Deep-down within me I didnt want to go to Church, I had to make daddy happy with his little boy, so I went. As I sat down, faking sobriety and concentration, I mocked at all the pastor had to say. I was a time-keeper, watching the minutes slowly passing by, waiting for the closing prayer. I never heard what was said.
3) Prayer and Bible reading was a task on my time-table, twas a mere routine.
4) I had thought i was serving the pastor by going to church. In fact, i thought i didnt need to read the Bible, that I didnt need God, i thought i knew everything. I usually felt very bad whenever i ticked 'Christian" on a form or some document. I felt Christians were wasting their time, worse, I thought i was wasting mine with theirs.

Christanity became a way of life when, I gave my life completely to Jesus.
I prayed a simple prayer of forgiveness, led by the Pastor in Church, out of compulsion, and I thought that would be it. But something happened, I will never forget, twas like a huge burden lifted off me. I was saved. My past forgiven and forgotten, twas like the Sun just arose, I began to see changes in me. I had a new beginning.I shook myself to my former past preconcieved reality - behold twas gone. Before then, i never smiled, but now, im always smiling. Suddenly, i began introducing myself as a CHristian first before i said what my name was. Nobody said i should. I began comparing my words, thoughts, deeds, everything I deed with what the Bible said, what God wants, what God would have expected me to do. Gods word became a ruler I used to measure my lifestyle. I read the Bible without been compelled, and things that never made meaning to me suddenly became glaringly clear, and i began to wonder "what has been happening to me all along?" Things that confused me in the Bible became crystal clear, as I read one passage, the other explained itself, Now, before I take decisions, i would rather weigh everything by the light of the scriptures. Now, i find it easy to tell the truth, and things i had found to be next to impossible now became easy. To say a genuine sorry is so easy. Doing things that please God now became my daily assignment, that rather than please man, i would put my God first. Now, i have Faith in God, though before I never trusted anybody. Its now easy to pray and expect immediate answers, i mean immediate. My Bible is now my daily companion, what else could i ask for if God is always by my side.

Christ purpose was to pass his lifstyle on to His 12-disciples who would then influence others by it, and so on, and so on. But man naturally likes to make easy things hard, so at the end of the day after struggling up and down, he'll feel he has acheived a feat. Jesus said:
John 15:
v12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Imagine Jesus calling us Friends!! what could be more than that, If we say literally, hes a son to God the Father, and he calls us Friends, then its like we are on the same level, and we can call God our Father, making us heirs of the Kingdom. THe best of all things is that God is with us.
I love this
Re: Christianity: A Religion Or A 'Way Of Life'? by mriki: 11:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
I always believe, "My religion is my way of life".
Because it comes from God to us. God had create all of us & also the universe. God also gave the religion to us as the straight way to do.
I don't agree if someone say that religion is worship that just applied in the church, mosque, temple, or other worship places commonly. I believe that every kindness we do has the worth of worship. So you can do it everywhere because God always together with us. So why we still doubt that our religion is also our way of life?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Accused Of Witchcraft In Abia Brutalised By Vigilante Members (Photos) / Do Names Actually Have Effect On One's Life? / Inviting Rudedough To A Discussion On God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.