Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,483 members, 7,843,470 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37557 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by gohome: 7:19pm On Oct 20, 2012
duwdu:

Woah, this is precisely the sort of thinking that got Hitler and his collaborators to where they led their people and their part of the world: self destruction.

The rest of Professor Achebe's writing, as used in the said article, is essentially of the same mindset - that of the tendency to look down on other people and races, and think you're of a superior race, just like the "superior" Aryan race that Hitler so believed in, that led him to his eventual humiliation and destruction. The prof even thinks the white man is superior to his own race! In that sense, I'm beginning to think that, it's either Prof Achebe is naturally delusional, or bitter out of the war, or he's trying to shape his own legacy among his people.

Whatever, it is just sad that this is the type of thinking that the prof is passing down to his younger listeners and followers. Absolutely sad. One thing the man is further succeeding in doing with this sort of writing, though, is not to necessarily just re-write history, or re-define what truth is, but to further drive a wedge between his people and the other ethnicity or nationalities in Nigeria.

One other possibility came to my mind when I realized that Prof Achebe was in fact a Minister of Communication of Biafra during the civil war: That he is just trying to deflect from himself and the then other leaders of Biafra, criticisms of of the war, as fought by them. Such criticisms include that the leadership of Biafra ought to have been tried for acts of genocide against their own people actually, for one, because they insisted on fighting, and senselessly continued with the war, even after it was clear that that their children - on their land - were starving, while their ill-equipped soldiers were feeding fat.

I honestly don't think Prof Achebe and the rest of the war-time Biafran leadership will ever know peace on account of what they did to their own people, due to their misplaced belief of they being a relatively superior race, or even with their definition of what self-pride was.

In any case, "those that fight and run away, live to fight another day."

After reading your article. it made me cry. We all should cry for this country. And to think that 41 persons liked your post.... It's a big shame. What has this man done wrong? Let me guess, saying the truth? Prove him wrong if you think other wise. If it was a Jew that wrote this exact words will you compare it to Hitler? For your information go look for " Jews Phenomenon" by Steven Silbiger . In that book Steven told us how the Jews are hated and how that hate has turned them into a formidable force today. He describe how superior the Jews are to any race in this world boasting of their achievable in American and around the world. He enlightened me about famous Jews ranging from Mark Zukerberg to Kenneth Cole. In the text, he said 25% of noble prices have been won by Jews. Instead of hating , I redigested the book and embarked on a journey. A journey to understudy the Jews. Why are they so great? Why don't we have a poor Jew. I am learning.

Now coming back to this post, like Achebe has said, the Igbo whether we like it or not have the biggest middle class in this country. Whether we like it or not, they contribute greatly to our not so dear Nigeria. From sports to Education to GDP to human resources. They are hard working and have a good sense of business. We should learn just like I am doing as regards to the Jews. We should learn from them and move forward. Also, folks commenting and insulting Achebe and his Tribe instead of attacking the message only validate Achebe so called stands.

HATE SHOULDN'T BLIND US.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 20, 2012
Why do Igbos continue to compare themselves to Jews?? What have the Jews achieved collectively, other than get in trouble with their neighbours almost everyday?? If the Jews are the people you want to model your nation after - then you're a disgrace to the black race!!

Do you even know who the so-called Jews are
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:23pm On Oct 20, 2012
duwdu:

Woah, this is precisely the sort of thinking that got Hitler and his collaborators to where they led their people and their part of the world: self destruction.

The rest of Professor Achebe's writing, as used in the said article, is essentially of the same mindset - that of the tendency to look down on other people and races, and think you're of a superior race, just like the "superior" Aryan race that Hitler so believed in, that led him to his eventual humiliation and destruction. The prof even thinks the white man is superior to his own race! In that sense, I'm beginning to think that, it's either Prof Achebe is naturally delusional, or bitter out of the war, or he's trying to shape his own legacy among his people.

Whatever, it is just sad that this is the type of thinking that the prof is passing down to his younger listeners and followers. Absolutely sad. One thing the man is further succeeding in doing with this sort of writing, though, is not to necessarily just re-write history, or re-define what truth is, but to further drive a wedge between his people and the other ethnicity or nationalities in Nigeria.

One other possibility came to my mind when I realized that Prof Achebe was in fact a Minister of Communication of Biafra during the civil war: That he is just trying to deflect from himself and the then other leaders of Biafra, criticisms of of the war, as fought by them. Such criticisms include that the leadership of Biafra ought to have been tried for acts of genocide against their own people actually, for one, because they insisted on fighting, and senselessly continued with the war, even after it was clear that that their children - on their land - were starving, while their ill-equipped soldiers were feeding fat.

I honestly don't think Prof Achebe and the rest of the war-time Biafran leadership will ever know peace on account of what they did to their own people, due to their misplaced belief of they being a relatively superior race, or even with their definition of what self-pride was.

In any case, "those that fight and run away, live to fight another day."

^^^With all due respect, you're talking rubbish!

Don't imply ulterior motives to his write-up just b'cos you can't handle the truth, or maybe b'cos your hatred or jealousy of Igbos wouldn't let you view his write-up disspassionately and without sentiments.

Nowhere did he say Igbos are superior genetically (as Hitler thought the Aryan race was), but rather his argument is that due to cultural factors, Igbos would thrive in a FAIR environment that rewards hardwork based on individual effort, competitiveness and being anwerable to no one but God (ie- having a republican, individualistic spirit); if Yorubas and Hausa/Fulani had such a cultural environment they would be indistinguishable from Igbos and Nigeria would be the better for it.....then there wouldn't be any need for backstabbing, envy, seeing gov't patronage as the only means to survival, quota system/federal Character, etc.

It's all about nuture (environmental factors shaping ones character and outlook in life) as against nature (managing to get by in life based mainly on the cards you've been dealt with by nature).

Achebe was spot on!....but then again, i don't expect certain peoples to agree with him. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by illicit(m): 7:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
Av always knew dis man is a tribalist, as well as a rascist
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bashr8: 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^With all due respect, you're talking rubbish!

Don't imply ulterior motives to his write-up just b'cos you can't handle the truth, or maybe b'cos your hatred or jealousy of Igbos wouldn't let you view his write-up disspassionately and without sentiments.

Nowhere did he say Igbos are superior genetically (as Hitler thought the Aryan race was), but rather his argument is that due to cultural factors, Igbos would thrive in a FAIR environment that rewards hardwork based on individual effort, competitiveness and being anwerable to no one but God (ie- having a republican, individualistic spirit); if Yorubas and Hausa/Fulani had such a cultural environment they would be indistinguishable from Igbos and Nigeria would be the better for it.....then there wouldn't be any need for backstabbing, envy, seeing gov't patronage as the only means to survival, quota system/federal Character, etc.

It's all about nuture (environmental factors shaping ones character and outlook in life) as against nature (managing to get by in life based mainly on the cards you've been dealt with by nature).

Achebe was spot on!....but then again, i don't expect certain peoples to agree with him. smiley
dont blame them , blame our educational system. people lack comprehension skills.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by FreeGlobe(f): 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx:

He thrives on the truth, yet he said the book isn't a balance account, no??

Igbos are the architect of the negative energy they receive around Nigeria... I have only been on NL for 9 months and I know that from the incessant chest beating and the nonsense you guys spew on here daily, it's just shameful...

Honestly, when I meet Igbos now in real life - I look at them differently. I can't really take any Igbo person seriously again, to be honest... There's just something off-putting about you guys..
The book is not a balanced account (ve not confirmed that tho) means its from his singular perspective and his opinion undiluted - which has inturn turned to ndigbo perspective. He is speaking for us. The rest things you wrote belongs to the recycle bin. who cares.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
To be honest, the war between Yoruba people and Igbo people is closer than ever...

'The cloud is heavy' and it's going to be bloody - I'll like to see the aftermath of that...

I don't think anyone can stop that from happening, it's just about when it's going to happen...
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by preciousoz: 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
I Partly Agree with Achebe wrote. Our Leaders fail to take advantage of the ethnic diversity and xtics of the people to better the Country. Prof was in the Biafran Cabinet and as such His own account is bound to be biased just like any other Actor in the War (depending on the divide u find urself).

The issue of the Igbos dominating ? Typical Nigerian Talking. Our National Fathers all Failed us as the politics of their time was along ethnic Lines.

They clamoured for one Nigeria For Selfish reasons without consulting with their people. All in a bid to enrich themselves as its been done till date (alocating oil blocks and looting the treasury). If You doubt me and for those claiming Marginalisation, take a look @ those invoved in the oil subsidy Scam then u will discover that all regions are Represented.

Its so Sad that we the young generations that is suffering because of all the wrong steps taken by our Father are busy towing their Line and buying their Crap stories thereby breeding more hate and disunity amongst Us. All these people went to school Free. Attended the Best universities in the world and a ready Job awaiting them immediately they graduate and we are Here queing up behind them to hear their gory stories of failure and half truths.

We cannot move ahead as a Nation with this Mentality. We should all know this, our learders past have all failed us and if we must advance, we must do away with bitterness and unite together to fight this Corruption that is holding our Nation to Ransom.

Note: am a Bini Man.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ejiyke2007(m): 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
duwdu: Come to think of it, the claim by the prof that the cause of the Igbo being able to attain their "cultural superiority" and leapfrog the other ethnicity and nationalities was due to a "sudden burst of energy...in a space of about 10 years...," is not only myopic and childish, it is laughable at best. Someone should inform the prof, that a people's cultural bent does not change, most definitely not the fundamentals of a culture, and certainly not in a space of a mere ten years!

In any case, if the prof would stick to that funny view or belief or claim, what happened to/where were these people of which he writes centuries before this "sudden burst of energy?" And what makes him (the prof) so sure that that "sudden burst of energy" would not soon wane/fade/out-developed, et cetera, thus allowing other ethnicity/nationalities to, in turn, "leapfrog" his own clan, so to speak?

Funny man with this he is, this prof. Moreover, the only permanent thing in life, wisdom has taught us, is change.

HEY IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND ACHEBES PHRASE THEN GO AND READ YOUR HISTORY OK
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bashr8: 7:31pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx: To be honest, the war between Yoruba people and Igbo people is closer than ever...

'The cloud is heavy' and it's going to be bloody - I'll like to see the aftermath of that...

I don't think anyone can stop that from happening, it's just about when it's going to happen...
you will end up fighting that war with yourself or between yourselves, remember operation wettie. we are not about to be dragged back by anyone or any group , its foward ever and backward never , no time for ape mentality, counter the prof with your facts or shut up
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by FreeGlobe(f): 7:31pm On Oct 20, 2012
illicit: Av always knew dis man is a tribalist, as well as a rascist
focus on your studies dummy. you cant even spell.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 20, 2012
FreeGlobe:
The book is not a balanced account (ve not confirmed that tho) means its from his singular perspective and his opinion undiluted - which has inturn turned to ndigbo perspective. He is speaking for us. The rest things you wrote belongs to the recycle bin. who cares.

If he's speaking for Igbos, that shows the type of people you lot are...

However, why are you guys fascinated by Yoruba people that you always have to bring them into your diatribe??

It seems you guys just want war with Yoruba people - and I pity those who would be at the receiving end when you wake up the sleeping giant...
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 20, 2012
bashr8: you will end up fighting that war with yourself or between yourselves, remember operation wettie. we are not about to be dragged back by anyone or any group , its foward ever and backward never , no time for ape mentality, counter the prof with your facts or shut up

Bwahahahahahahaha

When did ngwa, aro, osu, real Igbos, and fake Igbos start getting along??...

We need to keep our fingers crossed - Yoruba vs. Igbo war is around the corner...

I'm not a prophet, however, it's definitely going to happen soon...

I know they will react soon based on human instinct and start getting back at Igbos...
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ejiyke2007(m): 7:38pm On Oct 20, 2012

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Shaw007(m): 7:43pm On Oct 20, 2012
Justosaus:

Guy abeg make una leave us Edos out of una tribal wars, we are watching with passive interest the verbal missiles being thrown from east to west & vice versa. We the Edos are independent and peace loving people and will not be seduced to take sides...
Brother i'm with you here!!! Ocheesy

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx: To be honest, the war between Yoruba people and Igbo people is closer than ever...

^^^Have the 'Igbos' gotten under your skin to the extent you want a war? It seems recently you're hearing a lot of things you've been trying to block out and it's driving you nuts; don't take what you read online to heart...unless of course it's telling you something you're trying to ignore but can't.

Talk about delusions based on arguments had on nairaland!!! undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 7:45pm On Oct 20, 2012
Huu huu! I 'd rather give a shout at one of your strongest men in yorubaland KFF, to come and try his luck( a rescue mission) with his ever very weakest link, since EKT_BEAR has resorted in doing the things only Yorubas do.
ekt_bear: Why would an aged man in his 80s commit suicide

Is this another one of your igbo propoganda?

OK, then Ojukwu died an excruciatingly painful death. And his wife was being fvcked hard by his younger cousin while he remained alive grin

So two can play this game.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Have the 'Igbos' gotten under your skin to the extent you want a war? It seems recently you're hearing a lot of things you've been trying to block out and it's driving you nuts; don't take what you read online to heart...unless of course it's telling you something you're trying to ignore but can't.

Talk about delusions based on arguments had on nairaland!!! undecided

Trust me, you can only taunt people for so long, before they react... I don't want war among black people, however, from what I've seen so far - it's inevitable... I don't think the two groups want to live together and judging on how fragile the Nigerian fabric is - it looks like that's going to be the end game...

The reaction of Yoruba people/academics/intellectuals also proves that..
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ichidodo: 7:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
[quote author=ejiyke2007][/quote]STOP THE LONG ENGLISH. AND Go F**K URESELF.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:52pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx:

Trust me, you can only taunt people for so long, before they react... I don't want war among black people, however, from what I've seen so far - it's inevitable... I don't think the two groups want to live together and judging on how fragile the Nigerian fabric is - it looks like that's going to be the end game...

^^^Fair enough.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bashr8: 7:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx:

stop insulting the igbo race, we dont fight tribal wars like you. how low can one descend. this is lowest of low. like i said earlier it forward ever and backward never . yorubas can start by not derailing threads about disintegration.
however if theres a gurantee that the fight will lead to the total disintegration of nigeria than thats fair enough if not then its not worth it.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Katsumoto: 7:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
9ja voice: To be sincere yorubas are tribalists , no insult intended.

All they do is just defend and accuse without deep thinking.
Only Katsumoto has tried to use false logic to bail them, but we caught him as soon as he drop the post, then he ran away. Others is just barking Without points.

The great Achebe did not even spear the ibos in the book nor hausa people. What is wrong with this yorubas?

Say anthing about yorubas even if its diluted truth all of them will go wild.

Pls let's learn from each other virtue and improve our society.

This is how folks get into trouble; making illogical assumptions. Did it occur to you that i may be busy with other more important things? Or do you my life depends on NL.

In any case, I will return to address posts that make sense.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 20, 2012
bashr8: stop insulting the igbo race, we dont fight tribal wars like you. how low can one descend. this is lowest of low. like i said earlier it forward ever and backward never however yorubas can start by not derailing threads about disintegration.

Maybe, you guys need to start first by comparing yourselves to other ethnic groups in Nigeria - not Yoruba people..

Heck, there are over 250 ethnic groups in that country - go compare yourselves, achievements and lack thereof to the rest and leave us out of it...

When will Achebe stop name-dropping Yoruba? It seems the old man is fixated on everything Yoruba!!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bashr8: 7:57pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx:

Maybe, you guys need to start first by comparing yourselves to other ethnic groups in Nigeria - not Yoruba people..

Heck, there are over 250 ethnic groups in that country - go compare yourselves, achievements and lack thereof to the rest and leave us out of it...

When will Achebe stop name-dropping Yoruba
go and write your own memoir.why did obasanjo and soyinka mention igbos in his book?
we are not comparing ourselves with anybody , its people like you that are having sleepless nights over nothing.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
It is the NIGERIAN FACTOR(Yoruba FACTOR!
gohome:

After reading your article. it made me cry. We all should cry for this country. And to think that 41 persons liked your post.... It's a big shame. What has this man done wrong? Let me guess, saying the truth? Prove him wrong if you think other wise. If it was a Jew that wrote this exact words will you compare it to Hitler? For your information go look for " Jews Phenomenon" by Steven Silbiger . In that book Steven told us how the Jews are hated and how that hate has turned them into a formidable force today. He describe how superior the Jews are to any race in this world boasting of their achievable in American and around the world. He enlightened me about famous Jews ranging from Mark Zukerberg to Kenneth Cole. In the text, he said 25% of noble prices have been won by Jews. Instead of hating , I redigested the book and embarked on a journey. A journey to understudy the Jews. Why are they so great? Why don't we have a poor Jew. I am learning.

Now coming back to this post, like Achebe has said, the Igbo whether we like it or not have the biggest middle class in this country. Whether we like it or not, they contribute greatly to our not so dear Nigeria. From sports to Education to GDP to human resources. They are hard working and have a good sense of business. We should learn just like I am doing as regards to the Jews. We should learn from them and move forward. Also, folks commenting and insulting Achebe and his Tribe instead of attacking the message only validate Achebe so called stands.

HATE SHOULDN'T BLIND US.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (24) (Reply)

Patience & Goodluck Jonathan Visit Femi Fani-Kayode Triplets Ragnar, Aiden, Liam / Festus Mbisiogu, Igbo Man of the Year sets agenda for Buhari / Tinubu Will Lose 2023 Election If……. – APC Chairman, Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.