Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,984 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood (9460 Views)

Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry / Jeta Amata Is Working On A New Thriller With Hollywood / Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by ghettodreamz(m): 10:37am On Oct 22, 2012
Wake up ma'am, death and sleep aren't comparable. But it's good to be positive sha... grin grin grin
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 22, 2012
This lady hasn't seen the avengers, transformers, 2012, battleship Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd the rest, she no go even dream am.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Sagytarius(m): 10:40am On Oct 22, 2012
Vision2020
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by donchi5050(m): 10:43am On Oct 22, 2012
Who dey compare holywood and nolliwood is lyk havin an elephant and ant for a battle. Noliwood is too fake. Abeg feel d name noliwood derived from holiwood. Dat is d beginin of d failure. Most tym I wen am watchin our home drama not muvi. I can predict hw d tin wuld end. No concrete story line, poor picture quality, poor sound track........... Noliwood dey taya me. Its a shame but dats d truth. Our music industry is far beter. I score dem 60 percent.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by adora4u1: 10:55am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola drink?! Abi she dey inside dream?
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by SamMilla1(m): 10:59am On Oct 22, 2012
Not when all our talented actors and actresses are diving into music industry where they produce horrible musics.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola the Sooth Sayer.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by eamonskin: 11:03am On Oct 22, 2012
She is jt talkin out of her fairytale land,we all knw d only way 2 get 2 ur fantasy is jt 2 kep dreaming
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by brixton: 11:08am On Oct 22, 2012
uihebom: Omotola is a diva anytime. If you guys think its easy to shoot film in Nigeria just raise a camera up and see how horrible our environment is. They are just trying their best. I believe one day everything will change gradually. As she said they are only 16years old. Do you know how old Hollywood is. I think they started 1886, den Nigerians were still walking around nak ed.

STFU... in ur own words; u wna compare an institution of more than a 100yrs to dat of 16yrs ind making Dont be fooled by d waka-pass pictures dey snap wit hollywood celebs in international airports
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by crackhaus: 11:10am On Oct 22, 2012
What will she say before on BBC for that matter. OMOTOLA JALADE EKHIENDE, if you (or anyone close to you) is reading this, YOU know the TRUTH lady.. I understand your comparing nollywood to Hollywood but like I said, YOU know the whole TRUTH!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by bory09(m): 11:19am On Oct 22, 2012
When it comes to quantity we may try even beat them because i trust the yoruba film they produce foolish films every week but when it comes to the main quality mehn nigeria is no where to be found
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by JayKayMaybachz(m): 11:20am On Oct 22, 2012
Omosexy .... Hmmmmm ... Mayb her husband just been yansh am finish .... Na y she just wake up dey fhink like person wen drink cassava leaf with lipton tea .... The highest earned actors in nollywood barely get N1milla ... Hmmmm wen dwayne johnson "the rock" got $5milla for the role he played at scorpion king (mummies) back 2003 ... Now pick ur calculator nd figure that out ... She's high .... I don't blame her !!! Anyways its good to be optimistic buh dix is so far from her reach maybe 2152
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Orikinla(m): 11:25am On Oct 22, 2012
Let me address this in perspective.

There is at the moment no basis for comparison between Nollywood and Hollywood.
It would be like comparing an underdeveloped country to a developed country.
Imagine comparing development in Nigeria to the United States.
Therefore, even as the veteran Nigerian filmmaker Tunde Kelani noted, Nollywood cannot compete with Hollywood.
Nollywood cannot even compete with South Africa, India, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Iran, Israel, and others who have produced films (not home videos) of high standards to qualify for the official selection of Cannes Film Festival and Foreign Language Category of the Academy Awards. Where no Nollywood producer has even walked the red carpet among the stars.
I am still trying to push Nollywood film makers and actors to take up challenges that will make them compete with the best in the world.

Lest we forget, Nollywood is only 20 years old, but the history Nigerian cinema is 108 years old since the first Nigerian film Palaver was shot in Jos in 1904.
Majority of people and even many of those in Nigeria are ignorant of the facts and figures on Nollywood and those who need the information can find it on the first ever comprehensive survey on

http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2012/10/the-nollywood-phenomenon.html

There are Nigerian filmmakers who operate outside mainstream Nigerian film industry who are not Nollywood producers and are capable of competing in Hollywood and they are even members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA).

Andrew Dosunmu is a notable Nigerian photographer and filmmaker who has directed music videos for various acclaimed artists like Isaac Hayes, Angie Stone, Common, Tracy Chapman, Wyclef Jean, Kelis, Aaron Neville, Talib Kweli and Maxwell.[1] He is the director of the 2011 drama film, Restless City which premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. Dosunmu currently lives between New York and Lagos, Nigeria.
Another notable Nigerian is Folayo Lasaki also based in the US and lest I forget Newton Aduaka who is based in Europe.

Omotola and Genevieve are highly regarded in Nollywood and celebrated as divas here, but I doubt if they can pass auditions in Hollywood, except they come recommended by highly respected people in Hollywood.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by MCDumexx: 11:28am On Oct 22, 2012
Hmmm! Omotola! Anyway, I brain storm alot and find it very difficult †̥o sleep but Nollywood movies has really helped me alot. Each time I want 2 sleep, they always come in handy. Nonsense!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola has been smoking some rossik weed
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by mejai(m): 11:37am On Oct 22, 2012
salam001: All of you hating on Nollywood,you all need your brain checked,

Me think Nollywood is better than Hollywood in the sense you learn something from nollywood than Hollywood,
what the hell will your children learn from spartacus Or merlin?,but a geniune African movie(although might not have quality pictures)have something for our children
My two naira
Na wa o!!! Wat lesson do u learn frm nollywood movies except belivin in ghost, a drunk always says d truth, pushin u away frm ur village instead of comin home cos mazi okro is an evil man. Abeg, tom and jerry cartoon is beta and more expensive to produce dan dis gabage we dish out. As far as I am concerned, naija movie is for house-wives who r idle and love gossipin. Later!!!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by tolugar: 11:50am On Oct 22, 2012
[color=#990000]Omotola just took a hallucinogen... Nollywood should just stop shooting 1 "movie" in less than a week, stop this their part 1,2, 3,... And part 4 will carry another name, stop using camera phone to shoot "movie", stop their crazy stunts, e't.c. They should never compete with hollywood in anyway
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by cantell(m): 11:52am On Oct 22, 2012
mejai:
Na wa o!!! Wat lesson do u learn frm nollywood movies except belivin in ghost, a drunk always says d truth, pushin u away frm ur village instead of comin home cos mazi okro is an evil man. Abeg, tom and jerry cartoon is beta and more expensive to produce dan dis gabage we dish out. As far as I am concerned, naija movie is for house-wives who r idle and love gossipin. Later!!!
Seems your wife is involved if not, how did you come across this vital info?
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by omar22(m): 12:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Smart007i(m): 12:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
InYourDreams
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by gator666: 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
I am laughing my fat a$$ off so hard I can't even breathe properly, ahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by fingard02k(m): 12:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
Yeah is possible but maybe in year 3012....But who gave this woman Wetin she smoke? The person no try o!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2012

Me think Nollywood is better than Hollywood in the sense you learn something from nollywood than Hollywood,
what the hell will your children learn from spartacus Or merlin?,but a geniune African movie(although might not have quality pictures)have something for our children
My two naira
are you for real? Are you silly,or playing dumb?so your list of Hollywood is limited to the ones listed,you are mentally illiterate. Smh
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 22, 2012

My two naira

I learnt how to start a car witawt keys in a Disney cartoon wen I was in junior high school. cheesy
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by nairaman66(m): 12:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
“Really? You think we’re not doing very well? It’s ‘supposedly’ the third largest movie industry in the world,” replied Omotola, raising her fingers to denote quotes for the word “supposedly.”

“And we’re barely just 16 years old,” she continued. “I think that’s very well—extremely well, actually.”

However, the 34-year-old actress, who had her breakthrough with 1995′s Moral Inheritance, recognizes that Nollywood is not “perfect,” placing its limitations on its foundation in a “Third World country” that is “still growing.”

“We’re doing the best we humanly can, and I think we have grown tremendously,” said Omotola, citing Amina as an example.

Out of Millions of movies produced each year, judging by 100,000 movies each month. Omotola cited Amina as an example.. Dream on my Beautiful Princess!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola is a mad woman to have said that. I bet she had imersed herself in tea made from hallucinogens before going for that interview. Nollywood? My foot! Sometimes when I say I am ashamed of Naija, it is mostly because of nollywood. Rubish!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by omar22(m): 12:16pm On Oct 22, 2012

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

You would learn how to copy other industries story line, tell me what to learn from Sharon stone of Abuja, Blackberry babes or Cassanova

go and watch Nollywood's Cassanova and Hollywoods Cassanova
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by nappyboy560(m): 12:25pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lol....laff wan kill me die.shey she don use engine oil fry dodo
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by chyket(m): 12:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
It's true!!!After all ,most Countries in the world compete in the Olympics but after the competition,most of them may not be found in the medals table.The point I am making is that in life you are free to compete with anybody you so desire but it never ever means that you and your competitor will be at the same level.

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hollywood is over 200 Yrs Old. Nollywood is just 16yrs old. In 100 yrs, Nollywood will beat Hollywood of Today, and in 200yrs Nollywood will beat Hollywood of all times, cos Hollywood will go bankrupt cos of digital americans and no one will be buying movies anymore cos it will be easily downloaded by the too savvy, loss of revenue will be the doom of Hollywood.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by dopeJemi: 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
Until nollywood starts destroying cars,streets n houses and start using bombs, den I'll be convinced

undecided
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by crackhaus: 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2012

My two naira
Please tell me you're trying to be funny....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nollywood Goes Gaga, Casts Naked Actress (photo) / Supernatural Fan Page {plus SEASON9 discussions} / Avatar The Last Airbender 2024: Honest Review / Download Link

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.