Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood (9463 Views)

Nollywood Can Turn Nigerian Tourism Into A Billon Dollar Industry / Jeta Amata Is Working On A New Thriller With Hollywood / Nollywood Cannot Be Compared With Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by size38: 12:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
I think this omotola of a gal is dreaming seriously. I dont watch nigerian movies, but the few i have watched could best be described as drama & not movies.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by crackhaus: 12:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
Orikinla: Let me address this in perspective.

There is at the moment no basis for comparison between Nollywood and Hollywood.
It would be like comparing an underdeveloped country to a developed country.
Imagine comparing development in Nigeria to the United States.
Therefore, even as the veteran Nigerian filmmaker Tunde Kelani noted, Nollywood cannot compete with Hollywood.
Nollywood cannot even compete with South Africa, India, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Iran, Israel, and others who have produced films (not home videos) of high standards to qualify for the official selection of Cannes Film Festival and Foreign Language Category of the Academy Awards. Where no Nollywood producer has even walked the red carpet among the stars.
I am still trying to push Nollywood film makers and actors to take up challenges that will make them compete with the best in the world.

Lest we forget, Nollywood is only 20 years old, but the history Nigerian cinema is 108 years old since the first Nigerian film Palaver was shot in Jos in 1904.
Majority of people and even many of those in Nigeria are ignorant of the facts and figures on Nollywood and those who need the information can find it on the first ever comprehensive survey on the The Nollywood Phenomenon [/i]on http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2012/10/the-nollywood-phenomenon.html.

There are Nigerian filmmakers who operate outside mainstream Nigerian film industry who are not Nollywood producers and are capable of competing in Hollywood and they are even members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA).

Andrew Dosunmu is a notable Nigerian photographer and filmmaker who has directed music videos for various acclaimed artists like Isaac Hayes, Angie Stone, Common, Tracy Chapman, Wyclef Jean, Kelis, Aaron Neville, Talib Kweli and Maxwell.[1] He is the director of the 2011 drama film, [i]Restless City
which premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. Dosunmu currently lives between New York and Lagos, Nigeria.
Another notable Nigerian is Folayo Lasaki also based in the US and lest I forget Newton Aduaka who is based in Europe.

Omotola and Genevieve are highly regarded in Nollywood and celebrated as divas here, but I doubt if they can pass auditions in Hollywood, except they come recommended by highly respected people in Hollywood.

So in short form, Omotola is just blowing her bass trumpet. Thank you very much! You should have just said so.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
[colour#990000]Nollywood cant even compete with ghollywood.[/colour]
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Arkti3(m): 12:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
fittty: In your dreams. undecided

With all the pastors/spiritual sh*t, part1.2.3..7, fake stunts, and Unnecessary scene/dragging

undecided

LMAO! I can see don't have fear of God at all!!!
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by annastacie: 12:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
she is my idol anytime despite the fact that this her comment is not true
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by saintkola(m): 1:02pm On Oct 22, 2012
salam001: All of you hating on Nollywood,you all need your brain checked,

Me think Nollywood is better than Hollywood in the sense you learn something from nollywood than Hollywood,
what the hell will your children learn from spartacus Or merlin?,but a geniune African movie(although might not have quality pictures)have something for our children
My two naira

You are seriously deranged for that comment what can you learn from the cliche storylines of Nollywood movies? Smh
Just so you know, Spartacus & Merlin are tv series and can't be classified as Hollywood production.
Please educate yourself before spewing your ignorance on here.
Cheers
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by crackhaus: 1:10pm On Oct 22, 2012
Billyonaire: Hollywood is over 200 Yrs Old. Nollywood is just 16yrs old. In 100 yrs, Nollywood will beat Hollywood of Today, and in 200yrs Nollywood will beat Hollywood of all times, cos Hollywood will go bankrupt cos of digital americans and no one will be buying movies anymore cos it will be easily downloaded by the too savvy, loss of revenue will be the doom of Hollywood.
This is your professional opinion abi?? Guy, movies are already being downloaded today only after its theatrical run is complete in the US.. It's called box-office copyrights. As for your 100/200years improvement of nollywood, shey Hollywood will be in hibernation awaiting the day nollywood will overtake it??
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by victme1(m): 1:17pm On Oct 22, 2012
I_A_J_A: Call her an optimist.

In an interview with Fidelis Mbah of BBC to promote her new film Amina, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde responded positively to the question: “Nollywood movies have over the years received knocks for low quality and poor scripts. Has anything changed lately?”

“Oh absolutely. If you watch most movies out of Nollywood in the past three, four years—perhaps in 2006, consistently—most of the big-budget movies are what they are: big-budget movies. They can compete with any other movie from anywhere else around the world—even Hollywood.”

Later, Mbah said: “Judging by international recognition and awards, Nollywood film industry doesn’t seem to be doing so well, despite the number of movies produced almost on daily basis.”

“Really? You think we’re not doing very well? It’s ‘supposedly’ the third largest movie industry in the world,” replied Omotola, raising her fingers to denote quotes for the word “supposedly.”

“And we’re barely just 16 years old,” she continued. “I think that’s very well—extremely well, actually.”

However, the 34-year-old actress, who had her breakthrough with 1995′s Moral Inheritance, recognizes that Nollywood is not “perfect,” placing its limitations on its foundation in a “Third World country” that is “still growing.”

“We’re doing the best we humanly can, and I think we have grown tremendously,” said Omotola, citing Amina as an example.

Amina, a joint Nigerian-British production directed by Christian Ashiaku, is a psychological human drama. Omotola stars as the titular character: a young woman who suffers a mental breakdown due to a series of unfortunate events. The world premiere took place on Wednesday, Oct. 17 at London’s Empire Cinemas in Leicester Square.

http://www.nollyscope.com/news/omotola-nollywood-can-compete-with-hollywood/

hahaha
I laugh! with nollywood N3 for N10 film. Nigerian Film is a shame
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
It's the third largest movie industry in terms of the quantity of movies produced every year, not quality. Nollywood competing with Hollywood?? For where, this earth abi pluto? when it's even hard for them to compete with Ghollywood... abegi, next news jare.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 22, 2012
Abeg let her shut up
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by kanechimex(m): 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
although,nollyword movies are really bad...there are some dat are good sha like The Figurine and In The Cupboard.those movies were tight
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by sayso: 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola I have been admiring you for what you have brought into the movie industry until this time. Pls be optimistic but Shut the fu--ck up.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
lmao, we can't even compete with European not to mention Chinese, Indian, South American and finally USA.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by VillageBoi(m): 1:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
It's a bit silly to compare ourselves to an industry we have no business comparing ourselves to. Two completely different worlds. Our only competition is 'African Cinema' and we're practically at the bottom of that table quality wise.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by victme1(m): 1:38pm On Oct 22, 2012
size38: I think this omotola of a gal is dreaming seriously. I dont watch nigerian movies, but the few i have watched could best be described as drama & not movies.

they are all sad dramers featuring worst case seceanrio 12 actors. the dramas (not Film) are full of crying, cheap hospitals, cheap hotels, the same story lines not very far from Juju, fetish etc so sorrowful.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Exponental(m): 1:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
She must be comparing d spellings. Just a difference of d first letters.

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
....with movies like these Nigerian junks,i do not need to bother myself buying those junks called Nigerian movies-it is not worth it...
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by CGKing(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
Rubbish talk. She and others like her are judging based on popularity n money generation. While an American studio is producing one movie, u churned out 40,000 movies with part 1 to 10. All about witchcraft, boy/girl friend and occult. While same Hollywood film is selling for 40million dolls, u sell ur 40,000 movies for a collective value of 2million dolls.

Nigerian communities r everywhere in the world that is y there's an appeal all over the world.

Don't u know u r a celeb in naija? U just came up here to make an uneducated speculation like a clown.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by jtroy(m): 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
there are 2categories of ppl:
the dream makers { making statements bicos u have facts}
the dream talkers { just talking}
where does she belong?
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Hezzymania(m): 1:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
i fink shes jst been sarcarstic...
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by sunboy(m): 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
In her dreams, Nollywood can only compete until we can produce real action thriller movie. Not just this drama we produce everyday.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by sapien(m): 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2012
This Omotola must be high on skunk! You wanna compare QUANTITY to QUALITY?
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by fulli16(m): 2:10pm On Oct 22, 2012

Me think Nollywood is better than Hollywood in the sense you learn something from nollywood than Hollywood,
what the hell will your children learn from spartacus Or merlin?,but a geniune African movie(although might not have quality pictures)have something for our children
My two naira
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by fulli16(m): 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2012

My two naira
judgin from what u just said, i dont tink you really watch hollywood movies. have you watched movies like '7 pounds', 'pursuit of happiness', slum dog', '3 idiots(bollywood)' if no, then u need 2 reconsider ur comment. as far as i am concernd, nollywood has nothing to offer me...abi na akin an pawpaw part 5 dey wan release
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Fhemmmy: 2:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lol . . But then, she is right they can, but they will have to change a lot of things and not with their present ways of acting.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Anyigala(m): 2:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
I wanted to ignore this gibrish from this lady but i couldn't. Nollywood or Crapwood cannot compete with Chinko-wood or Bollywood sef.
Films made in Hongong or India are way too sophisicated and of high quality compare to my dear Nollywood crap.
The problem with Nollywood is the same problem Nigeria has - copy copy, follow follow and get-rich-quick syndrome. Only in Nigeria will one person write, produce, direct and act in a movie. All these will be done in less than two months. The result is carbage after carbage being produced.
Time, money, professionalism,creativity, technical skills are the ingredigents of success in the film industry and my people are two eager to make money that they end up distroying the inddustry.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by dopeJemi: 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
Shez really a big joker.

Nollywood movies r very easy 2 act

U don't even need a script 2 say ur lines, its just common sense

Like I watched a nollywood movie 1 day, b4 d guy cud say d next line I already said it 2 show how predictabLe dey r, so pathetic

Things nollywood movies can't do n hollywood does dem
-super hero movies
-show a real tiger in deir movies
-destroy houses n cars wiv explosives
-act horror movies like saw n d rest
-act an unpredictable film
-hardly do deir films end well
-cant use a clean black coat like d one leo used in matrix
-cant fight kung fu
-dey can't mk real fone calls

Things nollywood movies do
-dey act a village film n dey still speak big big grammar
-dey wanna disappear, a sound must go with it
-whenever dey wanna show a bad scene or an evil scene, u must hear dat piano sound
-whenever dey wanna fink, d camera will go so close 2 deir eyes like dey fink wiv d eyes or sumfin
-dey will fink of d part dat dey were nt der

1 Like

Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
Omotola talking like she building castle on the air lol how is that possible?
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by port1976(m): 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
Though the woman is boosting her ego and exaggerating their humble effort, but the truth is; go anywhere in Afirca, Nollywood reigns. For people that travels around Africa can testify to the humble achievement of Nollywood. Before it used to be super eagles players folks asked after if they know you are from Nigeria, but now it is Nollywood stars. I was in Angola of recent where Portugese is offcial language, believe me they follow Nollywood more than we Nigerians,very funny indeed. I am ignorant of some Nollywood stars they asked after. To me it is far better than asking me about 419 guys, boko haram problem, crime, election rigging and drug peddlers.
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by sniperwolf(m): 2:58pm On Oct 22, 2012
Can someone please tell her to shut up
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 22, 2012
Joke Of The Year!!!
Laughing Maself Out
Re: Omotola: Nollywood Can "Compete" With Hollywood by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
sapien: This Omotola must be high on skunk! You wanna compare QUANTITY to QUALITY?
On point bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Supernatural Fan Page {plus SEASON9 discussions} / Nollywood Goes Gaga, Casts Naked Actress (photo) / FAST AND FURIOUS 8 - What To Expect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.