Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! - Sports (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! (18318 Views)

Poll: Which team will win?

Super Eagles Of Nigeria: 55% (64 votes)
National Team of Benin Republic: 17% (20 votes)
A 0-0 draw.: 27% (32 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs Benin At Nations Cup: 1 - 0 / Nigeria (2) Vs Tunisia (2) on Sunday 6th September / Ghana 2008 Match: Nigeria Vs Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by fyneguy: 11:55am On Jan 30, 2008
Lets hope Kanu will be the Coach again when we meet Ghana on Sunday
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by BlackEbony(m): 12:02pm On Jan 30, 2008
Yeah right! as if we deserve the victory we got, honestly I was hoping we would come home (crash out) at this stage of the competition so that we would learn our lessons the hard way which seems to be the only way for us to shape up if you had fully observed or followed our matches from the beginning you would notice that our boys did not play those matches as if we needed the victory although am not a professional football player I couldn't help noticing certain things our boys did in those matches which ordinarily their peers in other teams would 'apologise' to their citizens for doing, take for a example a 'professional' earning his daily bread playing for a highly rated club finding it difficult to trap the ball or make an accurate pass, I tell you its indeed a big shame, hence my statement that its better for us to crash out at this stage in order to avoid any bigger embarassement which we might likely face if we proceed to the next stage to meet with tougher teams who apparently are showing 'our boys' that they are there (nations cup) for the trophy, best of luck to the boys as well as the bench because we would need more than that to progress in this nations cup judging from what we had displayed so far.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by tosinadeda: 12:17pm On Jan 30, 2008
Ure a maga
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by jinworm: 12:24pm On Jan 30, 2008
i said it yesterday that Nigeria will qualilfy but somebody
said am day dreaming. well, d battle continues. Dat cup
will cup to Nigeria InshaAllah.

But special tanks goes to Ivory Coast. see ya all in
d final.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by youngies(m): 12:28pm On Jan 30, 2008
The way things have turned out, it will be only be fair if the eagles share their $15,000 qualification bonus with the CIV players for doing us this favour. undecided
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Pepeye(f): 12:30pm On Jan 30, 2008
@ jinworn

That wasn’t far fetched, the way we were going …did look like our players were heading back home
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by question(m): 12:32pm On Jan 30, 2008
jinworm:

i said it yesterday that Nigeria will qualilfy but somebody
said am day dreaming. well, d battle continues. Dat cup
will cup to Nigeria InshaAllah.

But special tanks goes to Ivory Coast as well. see ya all in
d final.
Finals or quarterfinals??
They should thank their God.
And start preparing to meet the black stars of ghana
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by jinworm: 12:36pm On Jan 30, 2008
Pepeye:

@ jinworn

That wasn’t far fetched, the way we were going …did look like our players were heading back home

pepeye, know dat sometimes the road to success starts with disappointments. from
there, we move up to a place called "SUCCESSFUL"
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by jinworm: 12:42pm On Jan 30, 2008
his_grace:

shut up - if then turn your scrotrum or your breast into football - u go fit hit am with your leg? talkless of scoring a goal with am.
I MEAN SEE U IN D FINAL NOT QFINAL.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by daronscopy(m): 12:50pm On Jan 30, 2008
well nigeria was able to win,dis is agood start i wish them victory.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by fakande(m): 12:53pm On Jan 30, 2008
Emad:

Well the players should not rejoice too much
They will have Ghana to deal with at the quarter finals
and from the way i saw the Benin players threatening them, they better prepare to go home after that angry angry

I do not know why we Nigerians are so cynical. If you do not have faith in these boys, atleast pray for them to succeed and avoid given expression to your faithlessness!!! I strongly believe that you were one of those that had foreclosed any chance for them crossing into the q.finals before the match yesterday. Now they went thru miraculously and you are already weaving your spells over their performance against Ghana. God will continue to prevail against all your (you and other negative posters) evil thoughts.

In the 2002 world cup, France, defending champions at the time, crashed out of the first round after losing to lowly rated teams as Senegal and Denmark and not scoring a single goal. The country kept faith with their team and they were back to winning ways in no time.

The fact of the matter is that you can never satisfy a Nigerian. You can imagine some jokers already flying the kite of Kanu Nwankwo taking over from Berti!! How ludricrous!!! While I agree that Berti should have scouted for some home grown talents, the fact is that the team he went with is also ok. Matter of fact, apart from the Ivorians, the Eagles have what I would call a near perfect team. We must never forget that this is the peak football tourney in Africa and the teams that qualified did so by defeating sound opposition in the qualifiers. Thus, they are not in the AFCON to sell groundnuts. The same God that has seen us into the Q. Finals will see us thru and even if we lose against Ghana, we will thank god for the grace to get to that level and prepare better for the next tourney.  

It is time we start reasoning logically rather than emotionally and stop looking for scape goats each time the Eagles perform dismally.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Modups1(f): 1:06pm On Jan 30, 2008
fakande:

It is time we start reasoning logically rather than emotionally and stop looking for scape goats each time the Eagles perform dismally.

yes sir, am guilty of dat embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Pepeye(f): 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2008
We are in this sorry state simply because of poor
coaching. I honestly cannot believe that berti vogts
is such a bad coach. But his tactical plays have been
very dismal and the result is that u see a bunch of
very talented players struggling to play any kind of
football.

We must not forget to send a big thanks across to the
Elephants. Their attitude last nite was a fitting
compliment to the spirit of West African football.
Professionalism
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by kolaoloye(m): 1:18pm On Jan 30, 2008
LET US APPRECIATE GOD BECOS IT WAS HIS DOING THAT MADE US QUALIFY.
BLF IT OR NOT - WE WILL GO FAR IN THIS TOURNAMENT.THE EAGLE HAS RISEN,
IT IS TIME TO SOOOOOOOOAR. ALSO REMEMBER TO PRAY O.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Pitokwe(m): 1:40pm On Jan 30, 2008
Shame to all the felas who said naija will not qualify for the next round.I love Osazie tongue,The guy is just too much.Cheers to all for our victory
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by amababy(f): 1:48pm On Jan 30, 2008
Hip! Hip! Hip!  H You R R A Y!!!  da boys hav done it. smiley smiley smiley

@ Makin

DUDE, you are da bomb POET. i love ur ryhmes, keep it flowing!!
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Emad(f): 2:11pm On Jan 30, 2008
those eagles were just saved by the bell
let us not forget who they really are squirrels angry

Vogts has a job of one more match and that is it
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by mamaorga(f): 2:14pm On Jan 30, 2008
grin grin grin
The atmosphere is charged here in Ghana,
we gotta win this match,
i know we can do it,
up up super chickens , on sunday we shall graduate to the super eagles on sunday,
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by komekn(m): 3:21pm On Jan 30, 2008
Blessed & highly favoured of God in the first instance is what we are, however, lots of work to be done.

The Ghana midfield is highly mobile with good fusion and anticipation.

Our midfield excluding the boy Mikel is truly flat footed, Seyi , Etuhu and now Eromoigbe have shown determination, doggedness but no vision and flair, thats why Obi has to keep coming back to support them in our own half.

Solutions im not sure, what options do we have in midfield ? this is where the battle will be decided how good is Emeghara ? The real Eagles of the past had Olise, Adepoju supporting Okocha's flair and skill. Who will support Obi

Attack no problem however, attack with no service is a handicap. Our Defence solid as a rock, no fear.
All said we will beat Ghana-- No Shakin !!!
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by bawomol(m): 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2008
i'm sorry, it's hard to grade the eagles performance being that they played against a weak opponent. what matters is how u play against equal or similar competition.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Emad(f): 4:47pm On Jan 30, 2008
bawomol thannnnnnnnnnnlkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuu
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by sod4luv(m): 6:56pm On Jan 30, 2008
Thank God ooooo, we go win ghana,
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by elampiro(m): 7:41pm On Jan 30, 2008
Thank God we eventually qualified. Nigerians should not be too optimistic about our next match against Ghana. I observed from comments made by many posters that we are too emotional. Yesterday it was all critism, today is all praises because we won and qualified, tomorrow, ? . The truth is that our game has not changed much from what we saw against CIV and Mali. Let's say our game is not matured enough to cause an upset against Ghana, though in football anything can happen. I stand by what I posted somewhere before that Eagles is not at all a favourite team to win this tournament. Eagles are only there trying to spring surprise. The favourites teams before the commencement of this tournament are Cote d voire and Ghana, and now Egypt and Cameroun.

Lastly Berti Vogts should be given time to build a dependable Eagles team for future tournaments. We cannot be sacking coaches every year. Bonfere Joe, Amodu, Chukwu, Eguavoen. It is too much. Berti will learn from this tournament and build on it. It is his first in Africa and his first with Eagles. He is gradually getting used to our boys as well as African football. Two years is not too much to try Berti.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by metodman(m): 8:51pm On Jan 30, 2008
i think we can win the match if Coach KANU will be as present as the other match,
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by metro(m): 10:05am On Jan 31, 2008
elampiro:

Lastly Berti Vogts should be given time to build a dependable Eagles team for future tournaments. We cannot be sacking coaches every year. Bonfere Joe, Amodu, Chukwu, Eguavoen. It is too much. Berti will learn from this tournament and build on it. It is his first in Africa and his first with Eagles. He is gradually getting used to our boys as well as African football. Two years is not too much to try Berti.

do we av to wait till we dont qualify for africa's first eva world cup hosting b4 we sack volte?? truth is since he got dere we av bin palyer minnows in futball (AFCON qualifiers) and wen we eventually qualified he selected palyers based on practice skill Makinwa (is best player during training abd best fumbler during live games) he dropped one of our best defencive midfielder (yusuf ayinla) out of personnal biff obodo 4 God no y and ishaku mennaseh for wuteva reason and u want to wait till we miss out of anoda world cup to sack him shei? bro i no buy ur ideal at all

even our black coaches (Amodu & Eguavoen) who took over mid way to a major tournament (AFCON 2002 AND 2006) performed dis badly wen de Took over oooo men make we learn quick oo to be fore warned is to be for ARMED my pple se
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by metro(m): 10:13am On Jan 31, 2008
even our black coaches (Amodu & Eguavoen) who took over mid way to a major tournament (AFCON 2002 AND 2006) did not performed this badly when de Took over oooo lipsrsealed men make we learn quick oo to be fore warned is to be for ARMED my people se

as for ghana match we pray for Gods intervention and for the palyers to up their games and av a win all mid set and Kanu shud not start the match he can comein as a sub dat way he can contribute more meanifully
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by U1(m): 10:11am On Feb 01, 2008
See how miraculous God is, I've completely taken my mind off this boys and qualification, but the Lord said it's not over yet. All thanks to Cote d'Ivoire. DROGBA, I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUU.

I'm sure if the guys play like the last match-day, I mean improve on that day's performance, we may even knock out the host team. Mikel was oomha, Osaze was a killer, with skills, even the 'Big man' Yakubu scored a goal, yebariba samboribobo.

But, I'd rather support Cote d'Ivoire for the Cup, pending the match against Ghana. As for sacking Berti, you'd better take your mind of it, cos I won't back wastage, remember he has a contract running till 2010. If you sack him now, you've got to pay him till then as was done with Sven Goran Eriksson in England when he was sacked.
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by ItGeek(m): 4:24pm On Feb 02, 2008
It's hard to believe that our football has degenerated to popping champagnes and going to bars to drink cos we won Benin republic by a MISERLY 2 goals

shame on super eagles
shame on Berti vogts wagen
shame on Sani lulu
shame on No Future Ambition (NFA)

THE PRESIDENT SHOULD DECLARE A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN SPORTS. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by ItGeek(m): 4:28pm On Feb 02, 2008
It's hard to believe that our football has degenerated to popping champagnes and going to bars to drink because we won Benin republic by a MISERLY 2 goals

shame on super eagles
shame on Berti vogts wagen
shame on Sani lulu
shame on No Future Ambition (NFA)

THE PRESIDENT SHOULD DECLARE A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN SPORTS. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by nigeria1: 7:43pm On Feb 02, 2008
If Nigeria want to win again Ghana, Kanu and Yobe should not play. Check all the games Yobo is weak. and Kanu is weak too. get ready of those 2. we would win. if both plays we are finish.

My formular would be 4 5 1
I would play many player in the middle field. and one attack. 3 defence middle fielders and 2 attacking middle fielder. I would play yobe as a defence middle fielder.

My defence

Nwaneri, Afolabi, danny, Taiwo,

Middle field

Yobe, Mike,Uhutu,Okonkwo,Olofijanu,

Attack
Aiyegbeni or martin

bench

Otaka, Uche, Aiyenugba, Makinde, Eroimigbe, Odenwigie, Nsofor

This would beat Ghana,

Mike play the attacking middle fielder
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by nigeria1: 7:46pm On Feb 02, 2008
Second half, I would bring Odemwigie, Otaka  and Martin.  I would play the 3 of them for strength. 45 minute) Time to bring them in is 47 or 48 minute in the game. bring all 3 at the same time,
Re: First Round Match: Nigeria (2) Vs Benin (0)! by Busta(f): 6:11pm On Feb 03, 2008
anyone know where I can get a link to watch it online?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Osimhen’s Market Value Rises To €40m / Fifteen Players Resign From Spanish Women’s Football Team In Bid To Oust Coach / FG Recognises Pinnick As NFF President To Avoid FIFA Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.