Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,072 members, 7,811,009 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. (16126 Views)

Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) / Lagos Ranked As The Most Corrupt State In Nigeria In 2014 / Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by PaulJohn1: 11:00pm On Oct 24, 2012
The rapid transformation of Lagos state in the last five years got the world’s attention over the weekend as Citigroup and Urban Land Institute, ranked her as one of two most innovative cities in Africa. 

The two bodies which assess cities worldwide in terms of sustainability and livability, ranked Lagos and Cape Town the most innovative cities in Africa in the list of the world’s 25 most innovative cities.

They also predicted that the Nigerian commercial capital may soon overtake Johannesburg as the continent’s business hub.

According to the ranking, Lagos got the nod of the international bodies for its population, rapid progress and potential as well as positive economic climate and potential for investors while Cape Town was ranked for its green space and massive investment in public transportation, technological research and the environment.

In terms of Economic potential, Apapa Port was ranked for accounting for 80 per cent of Nigeria’s seaport activity while the city itself accounts for about one quarter of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) with $33 billion and the population in excess of 18 million making it the most populous city on the list of 25.

Lagos was also included in recognition of the innovative and transformational leadership of the the city’s leadership led by Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) who, according to the international ranking bodies,“spearheaded the introduction of the Innovative Advisory Council which deals primarily with Science and Technology”

A statement from Urban Land Institute which said the shortlisted cities “provide new avenues which reflect remarkable, forward-thinking decisions on the part of municipal leadership”, also described Lagos as one of the “biggest” cities in Africa.
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/15/lagos-ranked-as-most-innovative-city-in-africa/

LAGOS RANKED MOST INNOVATIVE CITY IN AFRICA BY INTERNATIONAL BODY
The rapid transformation of the City of Lagos in the last five years got world attention at the weekend as two renowned international bodies, Citigroup and Urban Land Institute, ranked her as one of two most innovative cities in Africa. The other city is Cape Town in South Africa.

Citigroup and Urban Land Institute which assess cities worldwide in terms of sustainability and livability, ranked Lagos and Cape Town the most innovative cities in Africa in the list of the world’s 25 most innovative cities.

According to the ranking, Lagos got the nod of the international bodies for its population, rapid progress and potential as well as positive economic climate and potential for investors while Cape Town was ranked for its green space and massive investment in public transportation, technological research and the environment.

In terms of Economic potential, Lagos Port was ranked for accounting for 80percent of Nigeria’s seaport activity while the City itself accounts for about one quarter of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) with USD 33 billion and the population in excess of 18 million making it the most populous city on the list of 25.

Lagos, according to the ranking, was also included in recognition of the innovative and transformational leadership of the head of Government of the City of Lagos, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN)who, according to the international ranking bodies, “spearheaded the introduction of the Innovative Advisory Council which deals primarily with Science and Technology”

“Upon the establishment of the Council, Governor Fashola reportedly stated: ‘Cities that fail to harness the power of innovation will eventually become the customers of those that do’”, Citigroup and the Urban Land Institute said.

A statement from Urban Land Institute which said the shortlisted cities “provide new avenues which reflect remarkable, forward-thinking decisions on the part of municipal leadership”, also described Lagos as one of the “Big S” cities in Africa and predicted that it may soon overtake Johannesburg as the Continent’s business hub Coming barely five years after the commencement of massive infrastructural renewal programme of the Babatunde Fashola administration, the recent rating has
confirmed the established fact that the City of Lagos is gradually realizing its dream of becoming Africa’s model mega-city.

Taking a cursory look at the meticulous implementation of the various developmental programmes of the present administration, from the infrastructure renewal programme through the integrated transport system to the beautification and greening of the city, it is little surprise that the City of Lagos should catch the attention of the world rating body.

Cape Town was rated due to their green space ration of 290 square metre per person as against the world index average of 74 sqm per person as well as its massive investment in public transport infrastructure (in the shape of the Integrated Rapid Transport System), a project which is estimated to cost nearly USD 6billion by the time it is completed.

The City is also favoured by the rating international bodies as a result of the use of technology and research in operations in its Harbour as well as concern for the environment and in the way they use land.
www.abusidiqu.com/?p=6902

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by taharqa: 11:20pm On Oct 24, 2012
Good job fash...lots of opportunities in that hustling city of Lag
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by ektbear: 2:47am On Oct 25, 2012
Shout out to my homie Fashola
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by geeez: 7:31am On Oct 25, 2012
Great Yoruba ingenuity

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 25, 2012
That's my home state - proud to be from Lagos! grin

#ProudlyLagosian - soon come home!! cool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by PaulJohn1: 9:02am On Oct 25, 2012
shymexx: That's my home state - proud to be from Lagos! grin

#ProudlyLagosian - soon come home!! cool

grin grin yeye dude. Let's assume 50 years time grin grin
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by MrGlobe(m): 9:04am On Oct 25, 2012
Lol.. Bunch of malarkey. Lagos is still the worst liveable city in the world. The makoko slum is a big shame. If the innovation is about jumping molue or shytting in the streets, lagos has it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by geeez: 9:06am On Oct 25, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Lol.. Bunch of malarkey. Lagos is still the worst liveable city in the world. The makoko slum is a big shame. If the innovation is about jumping molue or shytting in the streets, lagos has it.

Can't remember the last time I saw a molue on the streets of Lagos. You must be hallucinating and even if they exist, they can't be up to a tenth if what I grew up knowing in the late eighties and nineties

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by MrGlobe(m): 9:21am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

Can't remember the last time I saw a molue on the streets of Lagos. You must be hallucinating and even if they exist, they can't be up to a tenth if what I grew up knowing in the late eighties and nineties
shut up there. Lagos is the dumpsite of the world. Molues are still in lagos. I see it on tv.
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by geeez: 10:04am On Oct 25, 2012
Mr. Globe:

shut up there. Lagos is the dumpsite of the world. Molues are still in lagos. I see it on tv.

You see it on TV. I live here man. How dumb of you. Because you've seen videos of Henry Ford's cars driving the streets doesn't necessarily mean they still ply those streets. How dumb

Do you at all know what a dump site means? The space between your ears seem more like it

21 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by naptu2: 10:52am On Oct 25, 2012
I can barely wait for this

Artist impression of Marina after the rail project is completed.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/667083_lagos20rail7Emarina20after_jpg59abd927a64f42c1aa88e33b84e51608
Rail, BRT, regular bus and ferry services.

Artist impression of Lagos-Badagry Expressway after the rail project is completed.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/667080_lagos20rail7Elasu20gate20after_jpg4b070b422b50d9c3d5d7adb098d4055f
10 lanes + BRT and LRT
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by salam001(m): 10:58am On Oct 25, 2012
EKO ONI BAJE,toba baje,iyen o ko mi ra raa
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Aderostock(m): 11:01am On Oct 25, 2012
Please, do not derail this thread with your envious-mindset. Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Kslib(m): 11:01am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

You see it on TV. I live here man. How dumb of you. Because you've seen videos of Henry Ford's cars driving the streets doesn't necessarily mean they still ply those streets. How dumb

Do you at all know what a dump site means? The space between your ears seem more like it
Hahahahaa!!!
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Umunede(m): 11:02am On Oct 25, 2012
Wow, d economy of lagos state is 33 billion dollars a little lower than dat of the whole country of ghana of 39b dollars

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by tonym1(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2012
Good news for once
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2012
How does that put food on the table of the common man?
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Super1759: 11:11am On Oct 25, 2012
lagos is the largest lunatic home in africa as well. Smh
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

hahaha...You said it all.
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2012
geeez:

buhahahaha! You can't remember the last time you saw molue abi? Yeah because you live in Lekki or VI! Abeg go to oshodi,Iyana Ipaja and Orile you go see Molue for there yanfu yanfu! Even with the presence of BRT buses, Lagosians still patronize Molue buses.I dey laff o!
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by elopee3000(m): 11:16am On Oct 25, 2012
This people can not fool us again which Lagos re they talking about lol tell that to somebody who lives in ijegun and work in Lagos island, Lagos is dustbin of africa ,I can't believe what I saw in that lagos Yoruba people still discharge human shit inside lagoon
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by justsayemma(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2012
Compare Lag 2 Rivers state,anoda major state in Naija. Afta u peeps wil say BRF has no vision,y dem no list oda pdp developed cities?
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by highlandre(m): 11:23am On Oct 25, 2012
Who says Lagos is not working? We now know why there should be good policies to expose us to the world.

I won't be surprised if some people will come here and confuse Lagos State being innovative with a pocket of challenges we still have here and there. I don't think there is any dispute as to whether Lagos is developing infrastructurally.

Although there is a lot more to be done, I can only say Fashola, keep it up!
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Seunn11: 11:26am On Oct 25, 2012
let the enemies of yoruba race start to leave o.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by babsjnr(m): 11:30am On Oct 25, 2012
proudly ijebu lagosian
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by mikron(m): 11:33am On Oct 25, 2012
LAGOS IS WORKING AND FASHOLA IS WORKING, THOUGH I LIVE IN ABUJA BUT I MUST CONFESS I LOVE LAGOS, I LOVE THE ENVIRONMENT, I LOVE THE PEOPLE, LOVE THE LANGUAGE AND ABOVE ALL I LOVE THEIR FOOD. ASIDE ABUJA LAGOS WILL BE MY NEXT DESTINATION
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by MrGlobe(m): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2012
berem: buhahahaha! You can't remember the last time you saw molue abi? Yeah because you live in Lekki or VI! Abeg go to oshodi,Iyana Ipaja and Orile you go see Molue for there yanfu yanfu! Even with the presence of BRT buses, Lagosians still patronize Molue buses.I dey laff o!
lol, dont mind those people, next thing they will tell you those places are ibadan.

@geez So because you live in makoko slum, the one I saw in rick ross video was fake. I get it.

meanwhile lol at the pics up there, Lagos has really come of age...... in 2090 I will guess.
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by achi4u(m): 11:35am On Oct 25, 2012
berem: buhahahaha! You can't remember the last time you saw molue abi? Yeah because you live in Lekki or VI! Abeg go to oshodi,Iyana Ipaja and Orile you go see Molue for there yanfu yanfu! Even with the presence of BRT buses, Lagosians still patronize Molue buses.I dey laff o!
"maybe living in Lekki or Vi"?,who dash monkey banana?grin

Yes Lagos is bubbling but what about its neatness?
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by akintun: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2012
No be d same Lagos way I dey stay. Dey have to also show us d methodology used to arrive at dis rubbish.
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Slyp: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2012
Mr. Globe:

this guy, u make me laugh. so u see it on tv is ur is ur proof. lol.
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2012
Lagos was built with federal government funds. Look at most of the road federal government built and island that was developed duing colonial era, third mainland bridge, etc. what is the new thing fas has done? The roads are so bumpy, the bridges are shaking.
There is no dopt that fash is trying to put things in place regarding management of those infrastructure.
If Abuja becomes a state tomorrow, the governor there will be winning metals for maintenance because the city is already built.
The dump site at ojota is a complete mess and can cause problem for people living in that environ.
I give the gov pass mark for trying to bring sanity to a state like lagos. Ofcourse the money from task alone is enough to run the city...
Re: Lagos Ranked As Most Innovative City In Africa, Followed By Cape Town. by mikron(m): 11:43am On Oct 25, 2012
THERE IS NOTHING YOU LL FIND THAT YOU LL NOT GET IN LAGOS, TRUELLY LAGOS IS THE MOST INNOVATIVE CITY IN AFRICA, THE RANKING WAS ACCURATE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Great Igbo Human Achievements. A Compendium. / Court Orders Buhari To Prosecute Lawmakers Over Alleged Stealing Of N481bn...... / How Gbenga Daniel’s Defection May Shape APC, PDP In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.