Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56358 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 7:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
Dreystar: Does anyone know if excessive water intake as any negative impact on ones health?

Years ago, on a very sunny day, I got dehydrated, and began craving for water, in less than 12hrs, I drank 25Litres of water(I had water in a 25litres keg and it got exhausted within 12hrs lipsrsealed )
I kept peeing at intervals and couldn't eat as I was filled.
That very evening, I became dizzy and had to go see my doctor, the doctor insisted I stayed back at the hospital for "observation" though I wasn't given any medication but the doctor said taking excess Water isn't good for me.
But since then, I've not had a reoccurence of such, but I drink water adequately.

Can anyone explain what was wrong with me back then? undecided
U were on water suicide n nt water therapy(LOL). I can finish one bag of purewater btw fri n sun nite. Water ni jor,water ni jare
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
I will like us to talk about those foods and fruits we have been taking to help us keep fit and stay healthy. Or the ones you heard of.

Here is my list of foods: Vegetable; either in soup form or when it is squized and you drink the water or using it to do stew.
Beans (I don't particularly like it, but I prefare eating it with rice).
Fiofio (pigeon pea) Actually I used to eat it while in the boarding house, without knowing that it was good for my health. But recently I came across an article that says that it is suspected to be an anti sickling agent and that it contains essential Amino Acids necessary for the production of RBC.
I now take it with rice.

Cucumber, banana, garden egg etc.

But am too lazy to strictly adhere to these healthy diets. (Maybe my wife, when she comes will do a better job than my mum).
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by lepasharon(f): 12:55am On Nov 02, 2012
@ abali thanks 4 this thread.
Sometimes i just wish ppl without ss could experience the pain for one day to know how it feels,but the main thing that worries me about this ss is the fact that we cant gain weight,why are ppl with ss always thin ? undecided i am almost giving up gaining weight.
anyway i have never heard a bout this cellod s drug for ss treatment ,can you elaborate on it,the contents?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:26am On Nov 02, 2012
lepasharon: @ abali thanks 4 this thread.
Sometimes i just wish ppl without ss could experience the pain for one day to know how it feels,but the main thing that worries me about this ss is the fact that we cant gain weight,why are ppl with ss always thin ? undecided i am almost giving up gaining weight.
anyway i have never heard a bout this cellod s drug for ss treatment ,can you elaborate on it,the contents?

And who says you can't gain weight? Haven't you gone through the thread? Even one of the Warriors was complaining of fear of over weight.
Sharon Focus on eating healthy and before you know it, you will want to start watching your weight. One of the reasons am slim is because, my feeding pattern is erratic and moreover I see eating food as a boring activity (it's been like that ever since I was small). Am eating and reading Novel or browsing or doing some other thing, except focusing on my meal. undecided

About the drug, visit this website ormedsupremeoption.com/
You may wish to talk to the director his number is listed on the site, I believe it's the first number listed under distributors.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 5:27am On Nov 02, 2012
lepasharon: @ abali thanks 4 this thread.

U will surely gain weight. When you experience fewer occurrences of crisis, then the weight comes. Presently, I watch my weight cos its pushing 70kg.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 5:40am On Nov 02, 2012
Abali1: I will like us to talk about those foods and fruits we have been taking to help us keep fit and stay healthy. Or the ones you heard of.

Here is my list of foods: Vegetable; either in soup form or when it is squized and you drink the water or using it to do stew.
Beans (I don't particularly like it, but I prefare eating it with rice).
Fiofio (pigeon pea) Actually I used to eat it while in the boarding house, without knowing that it was good for my health. But recently I came across an article that says that it is suspected to be an anti sickling agent and that it contains essential Amino Acids necessary for the production of RBC.
I now take it with rice.

Cucumber, banana, garden egg etc.

But am too lazy to strictly adhere to these healthy diets. (Maybe my wife, when she comes will do a better job than my mum).

I want to add Liver, Cabbage (for its calcium content). The importance of green Vegetables cannot be over-emphasised. Pumpkin leaves juice (after squeezing the leaves thoroughly) gives ur blood levels a great boost.

Please please please, I noticed this has not been mentioned, never take blood capsules or medicines cos they'll damage the liver.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:53am On Nov 02, 2012
Amynamerica:

Please please please, I noticed this has not been mentioned, never take blood capsules or medicines cos they'll damage the liver.

Please elaborate more. Is it because of the Iron content or what?
Though I always try not to buy blood capsules that contains Iron.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Amynamerica: 6:04am On Nov 02, 2012
Abali1:

Please elaborate more. Is it because of the Iron content or what?
Though I always try not to buy blood capsules that do not contain Iron.

Yes, its because of the Iron (Ferous) content. My mom was educated quite early about the dangers associated with iron supplements like chemiron. She was told it contributed to the distended abdomen which some SCD sufferers have. Multi vitamins capsules is okay.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:15am On Nov 02, 2012
Amynamerica:

Yes, its because of the Iron (Ferous) content. My mom was educated quite early about the dangers associated with iron supplements like chemiron. She was told it contributed to the distended abdomen which some SCD sufferers have. Multi vitamins capsules is okay.

Okay, I get it. I was also warned about taking blood tablets that contains Iron.
Thanks for enlightening us.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by farydah: 6:58am On Nov 02, 2012
For more enlightenment, search for Omega-Cares foundation on facebook. They have an office in Jos so SCD sufferers in Jos can visit them
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 7:14am On Nov 02, 2012
Morning*****

*smiles*
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by sucezTP(f): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2012
blink182: Please his full names.

oh! I don't know his full names..
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 8:00am On Nov 02, 2012
deco_slim: Morning*****

*smiles*
Morning!!! U taking ur drugs? *winks*
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 8:02am On Nov 02, 2012
sucezTP:

oh! I don't know his full names..
Go and research joor! We need his full name abeg! Tanking u...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ciphoenix: 8:23am On Nov 02, 2012
Abali1:

Okay, I get it. I was also warned about taking blood tablets that contains Iron.
Thanks for enlightening us.
true, you don't need iron supplements. You already have a lot of iron from lysed red blood cells
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 02, 2012
Idowuogbo:
lol, I love your personality.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:20am On Nov 02, 2012
professor Olu Akninyaju is the Chairman of Sickle Cell Foundation, Nigeria. It is there on the website
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:07am On Nov 02, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Morning!!! U taking ur drugs? *winks*

Not really...

D problem is dat I don't reaaly have any drugs am taking...

The only one I know of is folic acid and BComplex

I will try taking that...

my mom haven't really xpose me to other drugs...

She just say since u don't like drugs, take only ur folic acid and bcomplex...

That's d only drug I can manage to be on.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:29am On Nov 02, 2012
This topic has really made people learn so much...

Very soon, the topic would leave the frontpage of NL...(That is, if it hasn't left already)
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Thawarplay(m): 11:43am On Nov 02, 2012
Smh! I pity grls with scd!. . . . .sme1 that needs blood wasting it on monthly shid, i hate that thing tho(GOD FORGIVE ME)

Lmao@big tummy! I have flat tummy#looking at it# when i was young lets say around 5-12yrs i have big tummy tho!

AND to let y'al know The yellowish eyes thingy is telling u that crisis is knocking#i noticed that my eyes will yellow 15mins, 30mins it mayb 24hrs b4 d crisis start#

Now i knw i should take my drugs daily lemme 4get about cellod-s 4 nw(1 shld knw d supliments to takes smetimes) wheres my folic acid??

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 12:45pm On Nov 02, 2012
blink182: lol, I love your personality.
Tanks! cheesy kiss
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 12:56pm On Nov 02, 2012
deco_slim:

Not really...

D problem is dat I don't reaaly have any drugs am taking...

The only one I know of is folic acid and BComplex

I will try taking that...

my mom haven't really xpose me to other drugs...

She just say since u don't like drugs, take only ur folic acid and bcomplex...

That's d only drug I can manage to be on.
Babe, don't take dis too...personal o! But! I need to say a few things after reading d above. Deco! Am not shouting o! smiley But.... U DO NOT need ur mum to expose u to drugs.I am saying dis cus I need u hia, u are an ADULT, so it's ur responsibility to take ur drugs and do d research.Pls get in contact wiv Abail, blink and others dat have posted one tip or the other,u need to seriously start paying more attention to ur body. I am on ur neck o! Mr Hercules/Rambo.*winks* wink

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 1:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
I don't use yellow eyes to think I have fiver or a crisis, as they are always yellow...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 1:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
deco_slim: I don't use yellow eyes to think I have fiver or a crisis, as they are always yellow...

@deco_slim, I was like you once. If you ask me to guess, I will say that you are not even taking the Folic Acid and B complex serious.
I dared Fate. I did those things that I was told not to do, but I also have the Grace of God by my side.
If you must rely on Folic Acid and B complex, take it daily. Morning and Night, do not miss it. Moreover you have to feed well.
@Idowuogbo, I believe Deco will get there. He is yet to fully appreciate the nature of SCD. Or he may stilll be in denial.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:08pm On Nov 02, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Babe, don't take dis too...personal o! But! I need to say a few things after reading d above. Deco! Am not shouting o! smiley But.... U DO NOT need ur mum to expose u to drugs.I am saying dis cus I need u hia, u are an ADULT, so it's ur responsibility to take ur drugs and do d research.Pls get in contact wiv Abail, blink and others dat have posted one tip or the other,u need to seriously start paying more attention to ur body. I am on ur neck o! Mr Hercules/Rambo.*winks* wink

...It seems d issue of SCD is that serious...

I never saw it this way o...

I have learn a lot from this trend...

Yeah...I think I should be paying attention to my body...

But its just that am looking okay...

I do very tedious jobs,,and I don't see to get complains/crisis...

I will try contacting them....

Thanks for carring,,, am very grateful and I totally appreciate your efforts...

I would try not to let u down...

Let me try and know more about various SCD medication...

Am not an hercules o...lol

..I guess am just ignorant...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:13pm On Nov 02, 2012
Abali1:

@deco_slim, I was like you once. If you ask me to guess, I will say that you are not even taking the Folic Acid and B complex serious.
I dared Fate. I did those things that I was told not to do, but I also have the Grace of God by my side.
If you must rely on Folic Acid and B complex, take it daily. Morning and Night, do not miss it. Moreover you have to feed well.
@Idowuogbo, I believe Deco will get there. He is yet to fully appreciate the nature of SCD. Or he may stilll be in denial.

Thanks Abali...

I would try taking the folic and bcomplex regular...

That's my best option for now
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
I would find it useful if you all

List the medications you are on and how they works

Thanks

#phew# afternoon soon so harsh*
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by lepasharon(f): 2:38pm On Nov 02, 2012
I see no effects of folic cid,i have stopped taking it.In place i take b complex.i also take a multivitamin,to increase appetite.
During crisis i now take tramadol insted of ibuprofen cos it has a calming effect.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by sucezTP(f): 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2012
Idowuogbo:

idowu, the one i know, stays at idi araba,college of medicine, university of lag in prenatal lab..
I saw him once and heard people calling him by that name..
He has stated his full names already..
Guess you are cool!
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
deco_slim:

Thanks Abali...

I would try taking the folic and bcomplex regular...

That's my best option for now

Deco, I was once like you.
I went 3years or more, without being hospitalized (that was after I was mis-diagnosed AA). I " forgot" everything I have learnt about SCD. Then my last crisis happened.
I was taken to the hospital after a bout of food poisening episode. The doctor ordered a test to be run, when the result came back he told me I was going in for transfusion. I vehemently refused (cos I had vowed never to be transfused again). He told me that transfusion was necessary cos my blood level was too low (15%) for him to commence treatment ( as at that time, I felt that I was the most HEALTHY person to have walked the earth).
I still refused transfusion. Then he said I should go home and build my RBC (of course that will take 3 months), then I can come back for treatment. I was already heading out of the hospital, before my mums call came in. She pleaded with me, and because of that mother-son bond I finally agreed to be transfused.
It was after that crisis episode that I started reflecting on my life and my sometimes STUPID ego, when it comes to my health.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 02, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure & Women's Sex Life - Expert Advises / Coronavirus: My Experience Calling The NCDC Toll-free Number / Women How Do You Deal With Period Pain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.