Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56344 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 9:22am On Nov 01, 2012
Idowuogbo:
I figured... But! 7months without drugs? Deco!! shocked shocked

Yeah....

Highest I can take is panadol when I got headache

I stoped taking drugs early this year...

And am more than perfect...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 9:25am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

Madam, na Warrior U dey follow talk. The guy is battle tested and ever ready.

Thanks
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 9:28am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Yeah....

Highest I can take is panadol when I got headache

I stoped taking drugs early this year...

And am more than perfect...
Hmmm.... Pls take ur malaria drugs. Take dem
And ur Panadol, u went 7months without taking ur malaria drugs? God loves u. lipsrsealed
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:32am On Nov 01, 2012
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 9:32am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Thanks...just for this trend sake,,, I got this special powers too...

Forget mosquito joor,,,it can never kill me...

But u know what,,,I haven't xperience much of this crisis lately...

Even when I get them,,,I try not to alarm anyone,,,I just bear it...

I hate being look down upon, and I hate when parents cares and others too..

I also haven't taking any drugs for the past 7months, I hate them...

They are nonsense!!!

Nor carry water bottle like a smallboi...

______

I only got the yellowish of eyes,,,people suspects,

So I tell them that's d color and that am AA...

Even in some of my sch records I put AA...

Lol that's d spirit...

Just my 2cent...

Reminds me of masef as a child,avoid takin ma folic acid n paludrine until crisis set in. Now as an adult. I take dem religiously. Now I eat beta(growin up wtout an appetite) appetite for food increased  i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ 1999 n I av not lookd back since. I av really added weight, I now weigh 60kg.wrkin to curb excess weight. Life is Good!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Hmmm.... Pls take ur malaria drugs. Take dem
And ur Panadol, u went 7months without taking ur malaria drugs? God loves u. lipsrsealed

Malaria drugs? Na,,,
Panadol can do

Yeah,,, Am glad God loves Me...

If you should see me,,,you won't fill pity ooo...

Am telling u d fact...

Its me that would fill pity for u o..(Lol)

But I know some carriers, that are always sick,,as dough they won't leave to see 2mao...

I see them, and wonder!...

But actually,,,no sickness can take down my dreams...

not now,,, and never to happen.....

Carriers, stop the fragile attitude!!!...

If I see you act fragile and I hate it...

This will give other people rooms to look pity for u...

And so whatever u do,, won't be by your own merits, but by the help of others...

All carriers, I pray we all live long!!!!

Amen.....

Thanks once more!

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 9:40am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
Reminds me of masef as a child,avoid takin ma folic acid n paludrine until crisis set in. Now as an adult. I take dem religiously. Now I eat beta(growin up wtout an appetite) appetite for food increased  i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ 1999 n I av not lookd back since. I av really added weight, I now weigh 60kg.wrkin to curb excess weight. Life is Good!!!

Am happy for you...

And am not talking as a child...

Am all grownup...just completed 20...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 9:43am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Malaria drugs? Na,,,
Panadol can do

Am telling u d fact...

But I know some carriers, that are always sick,,as dough they won't leave to see 2mao...

And so whatever u do,, won't be by your own merits, but by the help of others...

Amen.....

Thanks once more!
Amen!!!!!!!!! But! No comments! smiley
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 9:44am On Nov 01, 2012
Let someone close this trend joor,,,

When I saw it on d frontpage of naira land...

It just reminds me that am a carrier...

And I hate it....
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:44am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Malaria drugs? Na,,,
Panadol can do

Am telling u d fact...

Amen.....

Thanks once more!

That is the spirit. Judge us by our MERITS.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:48am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim: Let someone close this trend joor,,,

And I hate it....

The thread is to help create awareness and stop the misconception and mis-information about SCD.
Moreover some Love birds (AKA AS/AS couples) are planning to go ahead and dare FATE. And when that shi..t hits the fan, MFM, CHOOSEN, DEPER LIFE will have more people awaiting MIRACLES. Sorry, I didn't include SYNAGOGUE.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Am happy for you...

And am not talking as a child...

Am all grownup...just completed 20...
I neva said ure a child. I do ignore my drug as a child. I completed 20 ova a decade ago n if I were your sibling, I will fed you your drugs lik a baby. Stop your Arnold n Rambo attitude dude abi na babe.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 9:49am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
Pardon? Which excess weight? U got jokes! Madam u best liv dat tin. Jokes aside, am happy u doing well and taking ur DRUGS RELIGIOUSLY!! Unlike u no dem na! I no mention ur name o Deco! [lol] keep it up mami! Good food, less stunts, focus and remain d gladiator u are.Also...Tanks for sharing dat small but insightful post, I appreciate ur input.*hugs*
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 9:55am On Nov 01, 2012

And I hate it....

Awwwh... Don't feel dat way nau! Abail! Out of selflessness chose to educate and if possible prevent dose making babies and aborting the foetus due to SCD. Trust me! Dis thread does more good dan harm.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Dreystar(f): 10:02am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:

Working to curb excess weight at 60kg??

Dunno what to do about my own weight(I weigh far above 60kg) and I live with SCD!
Life indeed is beautiful kiss

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 10:03am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

I don't know how to stop the yellowing of the eye, but I notice that when I take excess water my urine is normally clear and people don't comment on me having "yellow fever". It's not as I carry mirrow arround. Infact, I no dey look mirrow.
The yellowing of the eye is as a result of the deposition of the bilirubin pigment on the sclera(white part of the eye). Bilirubin is the breakdown product of haemoglobin. Remember that haemoglobin confers on the red blood cell(RBC) an ability to transport oxygen.
In a normal RBC, its life span is 120 days. But the life span of a sickle (RBC) is between one-third to two-third the life span of the normal RBC. This means that the life span of a sickle RBC is shortened. Therefore there is excessive breakdown of sickle RBC and the release of its bilirubin pigment.
Human liver will be able to handle this breakdown in a normal RBC by metabolizing them(conjugation). The conjugated bilirubin pigment is excreted from the liver to the intestine. They are subsequently acted upon by the intestinal bacteria and excreted with the faeces as stercobilin. Some are later absorbed and excreted in the urine as urobilinogen. Thereby giving urine a yellowish colouration.
But in people living with SCA, the excessive breakdown of RBC as a result of short life span usually overwhelms the livers ability to metabolize bilirubin. Therefore, the level of unconjugated bilirubin in the blood rises, leading its deposition at the sclera of the eye and mucous membranes of the skin.
The little you can do to help yourself is to rehydrate. Take more water. This helps to flush the blood and leads to its increased excretion in the urine.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 10:06am On Nov 01, 2012
@ Idowuogbo - tanx. Wt God am an Amazon,Abali1,Stronger n co are the Gladiators(LOL) You beta leave this deco alone. This person is in denial n playin stunt rambo. Anyway, its his/herr life,live it anyow. Cheers
@ All - for those living abroad, ow can I cope wt winter ova dre? I plan to travel to UK in dec n I guess it wud av started snowing then.it has started snowing in Germany. Tanx
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:10am On Nov 01, 2012
@ACM10, Thanks boss. This quite educative.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ACM10: 10:11am On Nov 01, 2012
Abali1:

The thread is to help create awareness and stop the misconception and mis-information about SCD.
Moreover some Love birds (AKA AS/AS couples) are planning to go ahead and dare FATE. And when that shi..t hits the fan, MFM, CHOOSEN, DEPER LIFE will have more people awaiting MIRACLES. Sorry, I didn't include SYNAGOGUE.
grin
So hilarious
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 10:18am On Nov 01, 2012
Dreystar:

Working to curb excess weight at 60kg??

Dunno what to do about my own weight(I weigh far above 60kg) and I live with SCD!
Life indeed is beautiful kiss
I tink the excess weight resulted frm less crisis. I dnt take late nite food n av reduce my dinner. It has to b taken bfr 7. I dnt fry ma turkey/chicke/fish(stop takin meat) again, I just grill them in the microwave oven. Loads of water o. Now am more beautiful n some tink am stil in ma twenty n I just laugh.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by theresechizoba(f): 10:19am On Nov 01, 2012
I had a friend during my school days who had her head shaped in oval form.I called her egg head.often,ahe drinks a lot of water and carries it everywhere she goes. I had thot to myself it was for a healthy living.one day I went to see her at home to hang out for the weekend and there she was crying and holding her legs.I became weak,I didn't know what to do.I remembered my mom thot me some things abt SCD.I managed to ask her and she nodded yes.my heart broke seeing my friend in dat condition.I got her to the hospital by God' grace.called her mom and really blamed her for my friend's predicament. That crises went well,and maggie is 27 now and hasn't had a crises in 3yrs. She has a healthy kid and really wants to live long for her son dats all she ever talks of now. Crucial advice to our generation it takes so much gut to withstand the sight of an SCD crises.pls As/AS don't get married don't have kids.if u love eachother den don't put the life of an unborn in jeopardy.pls prevent another child from having an unimaginable crises.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:21am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o:
I neva said ure a child. I do ignore my drug as a child. I completed 20 ova a decade ago n if I were your sibling, I will fed you your drugs lik a baby. Stop your Arnold n Rambo attitude dude abi na babe.

Yeah,,,someone reading what am saying we think so.( Arnold and ramboo)

But that's d way I have grown to be...

I got 2 brothers and 2 sisters(all free)

I can't be the 5th to cause a problem...

All my conservation leads to " I HATE PITTY".

I hate doing tins sick people those...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:22am On Nov 01, 2012
queen binte o: @ Idowuogbo - tanx. Wt God am an Amazon,Abali1,Stronger n co are the Gladiators(LOL) You beta leave this deco alone. This person is in denial n playin stunt rambo. Anyway, its his/herr life,live it anyow. Cheers
@ All - for those living abroad, ow can I cope wt winter ova dre? I plan to travel to UK in dec n I guess it wud av started snowing then.it has started snowing in Germany. Tanx

Thanks,,,they should leave me alone o...

Its my life definitely
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:25am On Nov 01, 2012
Idowuogbo:
Awwwh... Don't feel dat way nau! Abail! Out of selflessness chose to educate and if possible prevent dose making babies and aborting the foetus due to SCD. Trust me! Dis thread does more good dan harm.

Yeah...

But its making me start thinking!...

I haven't discussed this for a very long time...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim: I have seen people living healthily with the SCD...

The way some of u talk is as dough the person won't leave long...

That's a big lie joor...

And please do anyone know of how to stop the yellowish of eyes for this special powers some people got (SCD)
yellow eyes is an easy issue, surprised none could tell you. The answer is glucose, dissolve the needed dose in water 3 times daily, if you have no fever it will clear in no time.

Yellow eyes is also a sign you are over stressing yourself, so take a break while having your glucose.

For convenience, there is tablet glucose in blisters for those that are really mobile and remember water. Also get cellod s if you are not on it yet. My greatest wish is to see so many Scd patients that are not suffering but living the life of their dreams.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:30am On Nov 01, 2012
ACM10:
The yellowing of the eye is as a result of the deposition of the bilirubin pigment on the sclera(white part of the eye). Bilirubin is the breakdown product of haemoglobin. Remember that haemoglobin confers on the red blood cell(RBC) an ability to transport oxygen.
In a normal RBC, its life span is 120 days. But the life span of a sickle (RBC) is between one-third to two-third the life span of the normal RBC. This means that the life span of a sickle RBC is shortened. Therefore there is excessive breakdown of sickle RBC and the release of its bilirubin pigment.
Human liver will be able to handle this breakdown in a normal RBC by metabolizing them(conjugation). The conjugated bilirubin pigment is excreted from the liver to the intestine. They are subsequently acted upon by the intestinal bacteria and excreted with the faeces as stercobilin. Some are later absorbed and excreted in the urine as urobilinogen. Thereby giving urine a yellowish colouration.
But in people living with SCA, the excessive breakdown of RBC as a result of short life span usually overwhelms the livers ability to metabolize bilirubin. Therefore, the level of unconjugated bilirubin in the blood rises, leading its deposition at the sclera of the eye and mucous membranes of the skin.
The little you can do to help yourself is to rehydrate. Take more water. This helps to flush the blood and leads to its increased excretion in the urine.

Thanks...

All I want is to clear my yellowish eyes..and am totally normal.

I hide them with dark shades...

Am not in d habit of drinking water frequently,

But I would have to try this....

Like how many bottle a day...

Is there a limit to the intake?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 01, 2012

And I hate it....

go kill yourself if that is what pleases you.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 10:40am On Nov 01, 2012
blink182: go kill yourself if that is what pleases you.

Ok
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 10:41am On Nov 01, 2012
Haba! Blink dats mean! angry
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 10:41am On Nov 01, 2012
Lik him huggin transformer or flying dana!!! LOL
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:42am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Thanks...

There is no limit to the water intake. I fit even drink drum, if my belle go gree me.

2 Likes

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2012
deco_slim:

Thanks...

Deres no limit to intake, drink loads!!! If possible drain ur well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure & Women's Sex Life - Expert Advises / Coronavirus: My Experience Calling The NCDC Toll-free Number / Women How Do You Deal With Period Pain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.