Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,309 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. (31054 Views)

“we Are Not Nigerians” – Venus And Serena Williams / Top Ten Smoking Footballers: Jack Wilshere, Lionel Messi And More Seth Williams / The Williams Sisters Exhibition Match In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
thank God we are not a nigerians - the williams iteration

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by einsteine(m): 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
shadrach77: this is embarrasing for Nigeria - we bring this embarrasment on ourselves by trying to force ourselves on nonentities - This was the same way an unknown footballer turned down Nigeria years ago when the NFA called him up to play for the Eagles. It's time we stop allowing unknown entities like this to rubbish our name angry angry angry angry

Unknown entities? You wish. How many people know you? Think before you comment next time. They are not Nigerians. Go ahead and crucify them.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by samkoro: 12:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: It's good they cleared the air just like NAS did when he came to Nigeria. I don't know what it is with Nigerians and claiming people. How can a nation with over 150million people be looking for more citizens when it has not taken care of the people it has.

It a puzzle I've not been able to solve
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Alsamin(m): 12:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
so wat .what are d benefit .when ur nija
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by samkoro: 12:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
Last time I checked,Venus was the name of a cream and Serena was a Brand of Toyota
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by camelus: 12:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shebi nIGERIANS want good things but they do not want breed good things themselves,nIGERIA my foot! shocked
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by dammytosh: 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
solomon111: Damn!
What an embarassment!!
One would think Nigeria is a country lacking in global achievers.
May God punish that dumb journalist for embarassing us.
I will rather God punish you for being sentimentally unreasonable. The Journalist's question came from a background information that one of their sisters bears a Nigerian name.

*Ileke-IdI:
Nigerians are very stupid people.

When will you embarrassing ppl stop trying to claim people who don't want to be claimed or trying to claim another heritage?

How did some ppl arrived at the assumption that they're Nigerians? My goodness!

Your elder brother is Chukwuma and some one ask you if you are Ibo, Is that question too much to ask ? They have a late sister called "YETUNDE" yetunde is a yoruba name ok ?

dammytosh: Why are we over flogging the issue.

Their late sister was named YETUNDE of all names in Africa ?
They came to Nigeria for a tour. (Mama must have told them Yetunde is a Nigerian Name undecided undecided)

Personally I am not interested in their root because it does not affect the price of GARRI in the market.

The question asked by the journalist is right and in order. They have answered so peeps should move on and stop calling the guy names for asking a very logical and reasonable question.

2 Likes

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by otokx(m): 12:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
Some people like to reap where they did not sow.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Shalome(m): 12:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
Immune#1:
Noticed the way Serena clutched her bag?
oh no,Not that
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
albacete:

*sprinkles water on his face and wakes him up*
Hope u are alright sir?

By the way , what was that place like?

Lol -- Gosh. . .Imaginary Hell grin
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by camelus: 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shebi nIGERIANS want good things but they do not want to breed good things themselves,nIGERIA my foot! shocked
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Kx: 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
What response were the journalists expecting?
For them to denounce America and claim Nigerians?

For the sake of argument,how many Nigerians wished they were not Nigerians in the face of today's realities?
Serena and Venus are not Nigerians.

James Ibori,Mutalab etc are Nigerians. Are they not?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by fredoooooo: 12:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
naijababe: Stoopid questions deserve idiotic answers, I am disappointed they provided such a classy answer. Mtchew!!!

remember tha shina peters song ... baba mi pelu baba baba tie omo baba niwon grin grin grin grin
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva:
If your name is Alex does that mean you're from England or America? It's just a name. It's only a surname that can really tell where someone comes from and even a surname is not 100% certain.
i beg to differ. The name yetunde is 'peculiar', you don't just name your child yetunde or iyabo(similar) without some good reasons. It's got some deeply rooted meaning attached. #Especially, lostofGranny, MIL etc.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by pecopeco: 12:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Godogwu: 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2012
chosen04:

You sound like a PHD holder in the catergory of GEJ.

Nahh i'm just an Undergrad, but thanks for comparing me with GEJ tho, its not everyday you get compared to the President of Nigeria smiley
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Godogwu: 12:47pm On Nov 01, 2012
saxywale:
Nigeria is not a nation jor ... You and I know that it's just a geographical location around the river Niger. tongue tongue tongue

oh my s-tu-pid people......s-tu-pid people everywhere sad
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by adamscuti(m): 12:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
chosen04: Who wants to be a nIGERian?

I dont even recognise the cursed country. Thats why i spells it as niGERia . . . .

WE ARE PROUD BIAFRANS (I & my family) . . . . . . Never niGERians.
u are such a clown and may God save ur soul,majority of the crimes committed in 9ja is done by d igbos,419,robbery and kidnapping, even if d republic of biafra is created,wish i strongly doubt,i bet u they wil have even more problems than 9ja. So Mrs. Reason b4 u post trash here. REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA MY ASZ.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Afam4eva(m): 12:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
OlowoTee: i beg to differ. The name yetunde is 'peculiar', you don't just name your child yetunde or iyabo(similar) without some good reasons. It's got some deeply rooted meaning attached. #Especially, lostofGranny, MIL etc.
The name of the former mayor of Chicago is Kwame but he has no roots in Ghana. Some African-Americans just see it as a way of identifying with their African roots.

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva:
The name of the former mayor of Chicago is Kwame but he has no roots in Ghana. Some African-Americans just see it as a way of identifying with his African roots.

Kwame means born on Saturday and anyone born on Saturday could adopt that name. Just as anyone could answer to Chioma, Tosin, Tolu, Kemi etc
because they've got simple interpretations. However, Yetunde got alot to do with loss of a granny, Mother In Law etc. #Reincarnation. It's okay
if they aren't Nigerians, and anyone could adopt whatever name. Howbeit, methinks, you don't just give your child a name without knowing the meaning, Peace.
*edited
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
toba: Sorry, we are not Nigerians’ say Williams sisters

The Williams sisters, Venus and Serena Wednesday put paid to insinuations that they were from Nigeria, when they said that they were proud to be American citizens.

Speaking at the Federal Palace Hotel, Venus, in a response to a question on their true origin, said that while they love Nigeria, the fact was that they were from the United States of America.

“This is another country that we would love to come from but we are from the United States and are proud to be from there as well”, said Venus

On their mother’s decision to name their late sister, Yetunde, after a Nigerian, Venus said that it was because of the mum’s love for Africa.

[size=20pt]“My mum named my late sister after an Africa name because she loves Africa and that is all to it”, she said.
[/size]
www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/sorry-we-are-not-nigerians-say-williams-sisters/

Chai!!! gaddem grin grin grin where are all the f00ls who claim that the William sisters are "proud yorubas" grin grin grin . Haha chai see hand falling . Na so person come dey tell me say Nas na yoruba boy .
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Afam4eva(m): 1:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
OlowoTee:

Kwame means born on Saturday and anyone born on Saturday could adopt that name. Just as anyone could answer to Chioma, Tosin, Tolu, Kemi etc because they've got simple interpretations. However, Yetunde got alot to do with loss of a granny, Mother In Law etc. #Reincarnation. It's okay if they aren't Nigerians, and anyone could adopt whatever name. Howbeit, it would be good to know their meaning. Peace.
Does it matter what Kwame means? The most important thing is that it's an indigenous Ghanian name.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by shizzle11(m): 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
xyoung: Let's be honest, D williams are jus denying and tryin to disown dier home country..If Nigeria we're to be a world power country, trust me they wil say the opposite..Serena is fromm Imo state..simple

Typical of nigerians! Must you claim everything cos they're celebrities who've made their mark in their careers, nonsence. If they were struggling or a nobody you wouldn't care about their existence.

Besides, last time I checked, anyone can claim to come from anywhere, so please leave them alone and enjoy the fun/entertainment they offer us from their accomplished career.

Peace!
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
This hollywood actress goes by the name Maria Bello .

I believe very soon our brothers from the south west would claim she's caucasian yoruba cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by nitlad: 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Nigerians are very stupid people.

When will you embarrassing ppl stop trying to claim people who don't want to be claimed or trying to claim another heritage?

How did some ppl arrived grin at the assumption that they're Nigerians? My goodness!

ARRIVE tongue

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by neferttiti: 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
Doz it mean d singer Ashanti is from Ghana cos i know ders a clan named Ashanti overthere. Lol grin
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by MrGlobe(m): 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
adamscuti: u are such a clown and may God save ur soul, majority of the crimes committed in 9ja is done by d igbos,419,robbery and kidnapping, even if d republic of biafra is created ,wish i strongly doubt,i bet u they wil have even more problems than 9ja. So Mrs. Reason b4 u post trash here. REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA MY ASZ.
I see you have been drowned by the cheap propaganda news coming from the Yoruba media. You want me to provide you with names and events? dont derail this thread for your own good. worry about yourself, get better education fool, leave biafra alone,

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Afam4eva(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
neferttiti: Doz it mean d singer Ashanti is from Ghana cos i know ders a clan named Ashanti overthere. Lol grin
Nobody even bears Ashanti in Ghana because it's the name of a tribe. She was given the name because of the power that Ashanti women wield. It has nothing to do with her being Ashanti.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by adewex(m): 1:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
Yetunde of all Names.. Dont be fooled.. Tho its not my bussiness

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by ciphoenix: 1:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
obadiah777: HE WAS A WHITE MAN. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. THEY HIDE UNDER DIFFERENT COUNTRIES BUT THEIR BIBLICAL NAME IS EDOMITES.
trying to insinuate every white man is a descendant of Esau?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Afam4eva(m): 1:21pm On Nov 01, 2012
I don't know if you guyz have noticed but it's mostly African-American losers that always want to identify with Africa. Highly successful people always tell whoever cares to listen that they're Americans through and through.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by ciphoenix: 1:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Still wondering why the word "person" hasn't joined the list of censored words.
@mods i could suggest alternative words grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Chose To Play For England's Three Lions / Lionel Messi Is Set To Return To Barcelona (video) / Bukayo Saka has Sponsored 'Life-Changing Operations' For 120 Children In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.