Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. (31017 Views)

“we Are Not Nigerians” – Venus And Serena Williams / Top Ten Smoking Footballers: Jack Wilshere, Lionel Messi And More Seth Williams / The Williams Sisters Exhibition Match In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by NovusHomo(m): 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
Typical nairalander.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by RealMccoy2(m): 6:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
demmy:

You're a foolish and ignorant backward individual who need to read history ASAP or die because you're of no use.

What kind of history do they teach in Nigerian schools
nowadays besides mansa musa and his useless trip to mecca

The IQ of most individuals on nairaland and some other low life online nigeria's blog is borderline between rhetard.... Same people will become senators, governors and president....LMAO

1 Like

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by oubi: 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2012
Where is chioma ajunwa (known nigerian) today?
Una no wan breed d 1s weh una get, una wan claim d 1s weh anoda country don invest on.

Shey I Ɗƺƴ beg nigeria now mk dem com train me. Whn ghana notice me now com colonize me aπd bring out d good in me Ʊ tink say I go even remba where naija Ɗƺƴ for map??
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Rufus52: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Do you want to know how any nigerian can get a brand new blackberry for as low as N10,500 without referring a single soul? Send a mail to rufusetim07@yahoo.com or call 07032984052
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by werepeLeri: 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2012
the same way these Nigerian niggers in America will want to call themselves Americans. LOL

I bet these sisters will soon deny they are African Americans. Why havent they asked the African be removed from their African American classification?

Y'all niggers.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Emmy9ite(m): 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
Mehn i love this girls, they are so proud of their country, America. We have to learn from them, we have to represent Nigeria anywhere we find ourselves. I AM PROUD TO BE A NIGERIAN. I MUST LIVE TO SEE NIGERIA BECOME GREAT!
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by demmy(m): 7:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

The IQ of most individuals on nairaland and some other low life online nigeria's blog is borderline between rhetard.... Same people will become senators, governors and president....LMAO

Its mostly because of ignorance rather than intelligence. Most are not properly educated or exposed.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Carzhiemglows: 7:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sorry, we are not Nigerians’ say Williams sisters

The Williams sisters, Venus and Serena Wednesday put paid to insinuations that they were from Nigeria, when they said that they were proud to be American citizens.
See yawa mhen!!!
Anyway,i'm proud to be a nigerian
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by dabrake(m): 8:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
warrior101: i believe in Venus cuz i have a friend from central america who look and spanish but she named are first daughter sade cuz she feels some african tie in her... her has always loved and dated nigeria(african) men since i knew her... she even claim to be from africa just for me or others to like her more... just an example...
guy, na wetin we do you nah?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Flygeriansteve: 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
samkoro: Last time I checked,Venus was the name of a cream and Serena was a Brand of Toyota
That's what bush ppl call it-- Toyota Serena--but it's actually Sienna cheesy
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Biggysmalls919(m): 9:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ha ha ha, who knws where i'm frm? May be planet venus.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: It's good they cleared the air just like NAS did when he came to Nigeria. I don't know what it is with Nigerians and claiming people. How can a nation with over 150million people be looking for more citizens when it has not taken care of the people it has.

Hahahaha! Abi o. I imagine it wld make a good yabis dinner table topic when they get back to d US. Chei...my Naija people. I hail una!
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by postemail: 11:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
cashmentor: Well, i love this earth, i'd have love to be here forever, but i'm from Mars!

Rubbbbish.... Who'd want to be identified with the roots of Terrorists, thieves, scammers and Drug Lords after all? No one wants to be related to a Mad Man.... We don hear una, ok, take your money and Go back to The Land of Milk and Hardknocks! Why didn't your mum name your late sis (may her soul rest in peace) a South African or Ghanian name, of all countries, she Choosed a Nigerian Name and u telling me about Loving Africa, i don't know your roots, but, with your own excuse, something tells me you Gals are Lying and hiding something!
I still Love you Girls though, keep making me Proud!

What the hell is wrong with you Nigerians?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by deavicky(m): 11:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
my name is Vincent i am from America i know how play guaraguara.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 11:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
well im a bit disappointed at what they said because they should have shown more eagerness to be associated with their ancestral land, the fact remains that as long as they are black they will never be accorded the same level of respect that famous white american tennis players are accorded in america.

I know how badly they have been treated by the british and american media simply because of the fact that they are black despite all of their acheivements and it is only because they are just such fantastic players that the whites have grudgingly accepted them - there are even instances where their fellow white americans will rather support a european tennis player rather than support them solely because of the fact that they are black so they should remember that when the chips are down the average white american does not value them the way they value people like John McEnroe, Billie Jean King and Andre Agassi.

Anyway hopefully they will retrace their steps and try to forge links with not just nigeria but other countries in africa, because africans are the only people that will accord them the kind of respect they truly deserve.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by elvis07: 11:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Wetin una d̶̲̥̅ε̲γ̲ expect from dem, acceptin to be a nigerian simply means "WE NO WAN PLAY TENNISE AGAIN, ABEG SPOnSORS MAKE UNA TAKE UNA SPONSORSHIP DEAL BACK" shikena
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 11:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
The Williams sisters with Governor Fashola in lagos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZzDS7Kxlk
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 02, 2012
afam4eva: It's good they cleared the air just like NAS did when he came to Nigeria. I don't know what it is with Nigerians and claiming people. How can a nation with over 150million people be looking for more citizens when it has not taken care of the people it has.
45likes a feat undisputed

Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 12:09am On Nov 02, 2012
an interesting article about how the Williams Sisters have been treated by white america and their media:

Visit the
Kibo Books
bookstore!

Faced With Much Racism from White America and its Media –Including New York Times --

Venus and Serena Williams Can Still Be Victorious.

By ODIMUMBA KWAMDELA (J. Ashton Brathwaite)

Like so many societal ills that are showered with society’s hypocrisy of great change for the better, it can be said of the game of professional tennis also, “The more things change, the more they remain the same.” This is especially so as it pertains to the way white Americans and their media view the “intrusion” into the game by Venus and Serena Williams, two African-Americans, and demonstrating their ability to be dominant. So much resentment to their presence by whites have been shown to beg the question, which in the last few year has been viewed as a problem of greater concern to some white Americans, the possibility of a terrorist attack on some major American cities or that of the Williams sisters returning to the tennis arena and making as strong an impact as they were doing not long ago, or as Serena did recently at the 2007 Australian Open after being away for sometime due to injuries, as is still the case with Venus? And what if their success rate equals that of the past?

It is common knowledge internationally regarding the obsession of white Americans with American athletes coming out on top in all sporting events in which they compete. It is manifested in their endless boisterous ranting of “USA, USA, USA, USA,” and their constant waving of the Stars and Stripes in miniature to giant sizes. Sometimes it seems overdone to the point of being seen more an act of embarrassment than an act of patriotism. But their reaction to Venus and Serena on the way to victory – being victorious – is so conspicuously different. It must be said that their reaction to other African-Americans victorious in other sports such as track and field, basketball, baseball and football does not come so ugly. But it must be said also that African-Americans were once banned from these sports on the mainstream level, and when finally they were grudgingly allowed to, a precious few , one or two at a time, they were racially humiliated in the worst way. The fact that over the years they worked their way up to being the dominant force in these sports obviously means they cannot now be mistreated or wished away. In the game of tennis, however, the idea of it being a white game still strongly persists. Before the Williams sisters only two other African-Americans playing it made their presence felt: Althea Gibson in the 1950s and Arthur Ashe in the 1970s. They were not exactly welcomed, either. Maybe because they did not seem to be as threatening as the Williams sisters. Other African-Americans who entered the arena were not regarded as being able to change the complexion of the game at the top to the point badly denting the idea of this almost-lone game dominated by whites going through a dramatic change racially as did others. Undoubtedly, the Williams Sisters seemed most capable of paving the road to such a transformation.

Admittedly, white Americans tended not to consistently boo the Williams sisters when they were dominating white players from any white nations. Their silence, though, could be likened to that expected in a graveyard at midnight. But their hypocrisy would be shamelessly exposed whenever any white competitor seemed to be getting the upper hand of the Williams sisters, for they would react with great euphoria.

There was a time when Venus and Serena were subjected to frequent bad-mouthing from white competitors who thought it was somehow detrimental to them that both sisters were competing in the same tournaments. If questioned about their comments, they would ease themselves out of the situation and shift the blame to Daddy Williams, who did the unexplainable and coached his two daughters from nothing to success outside of the regular system, on public tennis courts, claiming he was too much of a showoff, too arrogant. Thinking of their trials, is it not a cause to wonder if their often absence from competition might be attributed to this? Not belittling their courage – for Venus especially seems to have a lot of this – but it does take tremendous amounts of courage in the face of constant adversity to hold one’s ground like Muhammad Ali – or the first Black heavyweight champion Jack Johnson many years earlier – elected to do.

It is obviously not a case of a loss of desire among white Americans for the prevailing of American domination but that it would be much more satisfying to them if white competitors would be the ones responsible for bringing about this domination. For it would then make it so much easier to associate with America that responsibility generated by the likes of the Williams Sisters.

Once the proven excellent ability of the Williams sisters made that transformation up from the category of good potential, the white media became a part of this hypocrisy. Articles regularly portrayed them as two Black girls on whom Mother Nature had bestowed extra physical powers to which fragile white girls would inevitably capitulate; they were said to be overly muscular. The same attitudes directed at (Australian) Aborigine tennis player Evonne Goolagong in the 1970s when she dominated any favored white competitor, white spectators and their media not perceiving then, either, of a lowly Aborigine girl with this required ability; hence exhibited their intolerance for such. Goolagon was no more physically imposing than some of her white competitors.

There are those among the competitors of the Williams sisters who are physically bigger. At six feet tall, Venus is not only shorter than some, but also slimmer. American Lindsay Davenport stands two inches over six feet. France’s Mauresma about the same. The same is true of some of the Russian competitors. Sharapova, for instance, is taller than all. Serena is a few inches under six feet. She is a few pounds heavier than some, but to judge her honestly for being overweight or for possessing the very curvaceous and voluptuous body many females wished they possessed, and even more men salivate over, she would be judged by the latter.

http://www.kibobooks.com/venusandserenawilliamsarticle.htm
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 12:35am On Nov 02, 2012
i have a lot of respect for their dad though, he moulded them and made them champions in a game that had been dominated by whites for almost 100 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye27S839pfM
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by eminex(m): 12:57am On Nov 02, 2012
OlowoTee: i beg to differ. The name yetunde is 'peculiar', you don't just name your child yetunde or iyabo(similar) without some good reasons. It's got some deeply rooted meaning attached. #Especially, lostofGranny, MIL etc.

i disagree wit u. i ve interacted wit several ppl elsewere in oda african countries who ve similar names 2 nigerians. check togo or benin, they share same names as d western nigeria. check niger republic, same names wit northern nigeria. check cameroon, same names wit south-east nigera. for example i met som1 frm SA whose name is biola buh she has no linkage wit nigeria. so lets not try 2 associate any1 who has a name similar 2 9ja until d person says so himself. na 9ja b d only african country wey constitute d black americans?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 1:02am On Nov 02, 2012
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by NovusHomo(m): 1:09am On Nov 02, 2012
Real-Mccoy:

You are been racist by calling them slaves. Must you take every headlines on Nairaland serious? Don't be too sensitive over some dumb questions from a secondary school journalist. In advanced countries, journalist do background research on an individual before interviewing them. Their answer to the Naija made journalist was polite and on point. I am glad such question was not thrown on the likes of Jamie Foxx.
Take a chill pill, nigerians deserve what ever insult they get because they are sometimes silly.

Do you know the meaning of the word "race"?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by NovusHomo(m): 1:11am On Nov 02, 2012
cap28: i have a lot of respect for their dad though, he moulded them and made them champions in a game that had been dominated by whites for almost 100 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye27S839pfM
''

Only to be sidelined by their mother when the money started flowing. One reason they are not Nigerians.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by NovusHomo(m): 1:15am On Nov 02, 2012
demmy:

You're a foolish and ignorant backward individual who need to read history ASAP or die because you're of no use.

What kind of history do they teach in Nigerian schools nowadays besides mansa musa and his useless trip to mecca

Typical "nairalander", like the Williams sisiters: typical niggas
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by cap28: 1:35am On Nov 02, 2012
NovusHomo: ''

Only to be sidelined by their mother when the money started flowing. One reason they are not Nigerians.

how do you mean?
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by NovusHomo(m): 2:01am On Nov 02, 2012
cap28:

how do you mean?

If you don't get it, there's no way I could explain it to you. Its an American thing. Now, please don't start insulting me and my parents, please don't.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by dammytosh: 4:14am On Nov 02, 2012
eminex:

i disagree wit u. i ve interacted wit several ppl elsewere in oda african countries who ve similar names 2 nigerians. check togo or benin, they share same names as d western nigeria. check niger republic, same names wit northern nigeria. check cameroon, same names wit south-east nigera. for example i met som1 frm SA whose name is biola buh she has no linkage wit nigeria. so lets not try 2 associate any1 who has a name similar 2 9ja until d person says so himself. na 9ja b d only african country wey constitute d black americans?

That they claim they don't does not mean they are not. traditional yoruba names are not like Johnson, charles that everybody bears.

Any name that has deep yoruba meaning means the bearer has an ancestral link one way or the other to Yoruba in Nigeria.

Adebayor is a togolese but, he has ancestral trace to Osun State.

They cant denounce United State and claim Nigeria that they visited and might never visit again.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by londoner: 4:26am On Nov 02, 2012
People assumed they were Nigerian because the elder sister had a Nigerian name, Yetunde. I understand why people would presume that, don't you? Especially as the family physical traits look quite Nigerian.

It was the same with Nas, he had a Nigerian name they say, so people presumed he had Nigerian heritage......that is understandable.

With Camillionaire, it is the same, but he is actually Nigerian, he said so himself.

If someone says to me their name is Ngozi....I presume they are Igbo, or Kunle, I presume they have a Yoruba connection, or Kwame a Ghanaian connection.......wouldn't you? It is only when they tell you otherwise that you stand corrected.

You cant really blame Nigerians for presuming that someone with a Nigerian name is Nigerian........in our own culture we all have a Nigerian name don't we? Even if it is a middle name.

The confusion comes from the fact that Americans have ramdomely chosen an African name, which is something we don't do.

The majority of Igbo/Yoruba Nigerians if not all, have a Yoruba or Igbo name because they have Yoruba or Igbo heritage.....we don't tend to randomly chose our African names.

People are criticizing too readily, without looking at the Nigerian context when naming a child.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by londoner: 4:34am On Nov 02, 2012
solomonkane:

Afam I owe you one carton of your favorite liquor brand for this comment. Over true dey worry the statement. Check them out; Morris Chestnut (Grade F actor), Angela Basset (Has Been), Louis Farakhan (Noise Maker) e.t.c. Anybody abusing the Williams sisters should be checked in Yaba Right (ARO). So what if their late sister was named Yetunde; last I checked Benin, Cuba, Brazil and other nations had people with names similar to Nigerian ones. Nigerians like over familiarity, we are always looking for famous people to attach to like leeches.

Check and see whether those counties have any connection with Nigeria, ie the Yoruba tribe. There is a connection with the countries you mentioned, you just need to do some research it will tell you that.

If someone's name is Mr Frank Jean-Claude, which country would you presume they had a connection with some where in their lineage?......If you can answer this truthfully, then you will see it was a presumption anyone would make.
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by onyinye1: 6:42am On Nov 02, 2012
I don't blame any one who deny his or her identity as α̲̅ nigerian,the country Į̸s goin down with corruption everyday,our leaders aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ criminal minded,they don't even value human resources which Į̸s d̶̲̥̅̊ best resources in the world,U̶̲̥̅̊ see pple everyday to become american citizens here we calling some body who Į̸s an american α̲̅ nigerian, let us swip our ground well and keep our enviroment neat before we start thinking of who to come and who to become α̲̅ nigerian.
Poor thinking leaders
Poor economy

Poor law enforcement agency and
Poor judiciary that Į̸s even suppos to be soliciting ǂøя the masses but corruption will never allow justice.
Poor poor poor security that human life Į̸s no body's bussiness.stupid leadears, insted of our leaders to start thinkin of how to invest  oour youth ǂøя better *NG* of tomorrow we aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ here looking ǂøя who to force to become α̲̅ nigerian.may God help us
Re: Sorry, We Are Not Nigerians’ Say Williams Sisters. by Frostyzone(m): 7:03am On Nov 02, 2012
obadiah777: HE WAS A WHITE MAN. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. THEY HIDE UNDER DIFFERENT COUNTRIES BUT THEIR BIBLICAL NAME IS EDOMITES.
There are levels/types of caucasians;
There are Scandinavian caucasian[Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland]
Celtic caucasian[Ireland, Wales, Scotland, North France]
Germanic caucasian[Germany, England, Netherlands, Austria]
Latin caucasian[Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal, South France]
White people are not really the same. Neither are the Negroes. Or any other races for that matter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yamila Rodriguez: Meet The Argentina & Boca Juniors Female Star Who Is A CR7 Fan / NFF Approves New Name For The Nigerian League / Omojuwa Reacts To Juventus Elimination By Real Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.