Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions (7995 Views)

FG Bans Civil Servants From Chieftaincy Titles / FG To Regulate Conferment Of Chieftaincy Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by tushbobo(m): 12:13am On Nov 03, 2012
Never ending ignorance on Nairaland.Worldwide its acceptable to affix your professional title before your name.If its abused in Nigeria just as other facets of our lives thats another ball game entirely.Its optional and those who want to use it are free to do so.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by NovusHomo(m): 12:24am On Nov 03, 2012
Then, as an Animal Scientist, I can call myself Animal Aguiyi Angulu Erinlakatabu. Abi? grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Devonian(m): 1:09am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Its not peculiar to Nigeria alone...

I've never heard anyone called or referred to as Engineer Smith, Architect Craig or Pharmacist Jones anywhere in Europe or North America. Even at the height of one's medical career when one becomes a Consultant, you're addressed Mr not Dr so and so. Even academics officially addressed as Dr Brown or Professor Knight are, in unofficial contexts, addressed by their first names
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Devonian(m): 2:26am On Nov 03, 2012
Kajiang02: I wonder why Barack Obama doesn't go by Barr. Sen. etc.

Don't mind our countrymen...some even use titles, e.g. Alhaji, which depicts them as strangers in their own homeland. Ridiculous!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by FixAnglais: 4:09am On Nov 03, 2012
Billyonaire: Its not peculiar to Nigeria alone. Its an acceptable anormally

Anomaly

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Bossman(m): 4:11am On Nov 03, 2012
There are actually several threads on this nonsensical titles that Nigerians tend to use. You are correct, you will not see any of that crap in the Western world. The worst part is that some that are not engineers are addressing themselves as engineers. I have seen some folks on here call themselves GSM engineer because they know about the inner workings of some cell phone - what nonsense!

Devonian:

I've never heard anyone called or referred to as Engineer Smith, Architect Craig or Pharmacist Jones anywhere in Europe or North America. Even at the height of one's medical career when one becomes a Consultant, you're addressed Mr not Dr so and so. Even academics officially addressed as Dr Brown or Professor Knight are, in unofficial contexts, addressed by their first names
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by VEE2010(m): 6:22am On Nov 03, 2012
Honestly, this idea of displaying titles is becoming something else. I got to know Barrack Obama as a professor when I read one of his books "Audacity of Hope" Even as a president, most times you can only hear, Barrack Obama" alone. To me; it is pride and at the same time a misplaced priority. You can imagine a Nigerian will attend 1 or 2 days workshop or seminar organise mostly by fast business men trying to make money for themselves at the detriment of even the attendees, the next moment, the same attendees will upgrade their CV/title to reflect the newly acquired scam certificate. Most Nigerians seems to abandon productivity in pursuance of vague things.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by beezman(m): 8:42am On Nov 03, 2012
me i think it just has 2 do with d person's level of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by ol2012: 10:49am On Nov 03, 2012
uzoo: So i was listening to a reporter on tv and i heard him say "Architect" Namadi Sambbo. . . . . . bla bla bla.

and then you hear some other people say things like "Engineer" Tokunbo Bello .

my point is, its alright to refer to someone as 'Doctor' Okafor or Judge Williams or Ambassador Johnson or General Adebayo etc ..

this is because,some of these are titles EARNED.

Madam, d title 'ARCHITECT' is also EARNED. U don't use it cos u'r a graduate of architecture. U earn it by writing and passing 2/3 levels of d NIA proffesional exams, depending on whether u graduated wit a 1st or masters degree in architecture. Yes, Sambo earned d title even b4 bcoming Kaduna gov. I'm a graduate of architecure myself but not an architect.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by uzoo: 7:06pm On Nov 03, 2012
OMG!! lipsrsealed

undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by SELFWORTH: 10:53pm On Nov 03, 2012
ol2012: Madam, d title 'ARCHITECT' is also EARNED. U don't use it cos u'r a graduate of architecture. U earn it by writing and passing 2/3 levels of d NIA proffesional exams, depending on whether u graduated wit a 1st or masters degree in architecture. Yes, Sambo earned d title even b4 bcoming Kaduna gov. I'm a graduate of architecure myself but not an architect.

So you should be addressed as " Non Practising Architect oI2012", Pure garbage! Only in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by SELFWORTH: 10:58pm On Nov 03, 2012
Bossman: There are actually several threads on this nonsensical titles that Nigerians tend to use. You are correct, you will not see any of that crap in the Western world. The worst part is that some that are not engineers are addressing themselves as engineers. I have seen some folks on here call themselves GSM engineer because they know about the inner workings of some cell phone - what nonsense!

Goes without saying that empty barrels makes the most noise!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Mustay(m): 7:59am On Nov 04, 2012
The one I heard on radio -

'The Most Superior Senior Evangelist'

and

'Senior Leader'

I SMHed when I heard this especially when I heard the 1st!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions by Zodiac61(m): 10:37am On Nov 04, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Architect,lawyers,just like doctors and judges are entitled to their titles irrespective of their deviation into politics.You are only confused because namadi is a politician that still uses his professional title.nothing wrong with it ma.
You are the one who is confused. Being an architect is not having a title; it is having a profession. Same for a lawyer or an engineer.
I am a lawyer, when anyone calls me barrister Zodiac, I just ignore them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Evidence Showing SS And SE Senators Killing Lagos Calabar Rail Project--vanguard / See What Was Written On A 1000 Naira Note That Was Paid To Me Today in Lagos / Attack On Misa Wada’s Convoy: PDP Campaign Council Demands Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.