Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:41 AM

Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday (13455 Views)

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa / Lagos Is The World's 5th Most Unliveable City! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Sleek05(f): 8:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
Hahahahahaha....I'm happy that all d pro-ban fans r suffering 2. What goes around comes around!
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Caracta(f): 8:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
How come i didn't see this thread earlier on? I'm so sick of the traffic situation. It's annoying! It's disgusting! It's crazy! It's frustrating! And with the fuel wahala again...this is really not fair
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by mkoabiola: 8:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Even if u bring Obama to lag ,he cannot find lasting solution to lagos traffic.
Traffic in Lagos is a curse,
I was born n bred in lag, bt am use to use to d usual traffic,it a price u av to pay in lagos.
Even though dere is ferry n rail ,traffic wil nva disappear in lag,
D population is increasing day by day.from VILLAGE to CENTRE of LAGOS in d name of hustle.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by miqos02(m): 8:34pm On Nov 08, 2012
i had to trek from akilo road to computer village today
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Remii(m): 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
VolvoS60:
Of course its getting worse.

That is the only logical outcome when you have an overrated, corrupt Fashola administration/LASG which is very poor at curbing the excesses of its irredeemably corrupt traffic management officials.

As I write this, work has ceased on the "perpetually under construction" black hole that is the lekki-epe expressway. This is an "ëxpressway" that already has one operational toll point with another two set to follow, yet LCC, Hitech Construction Company and all the other actors in this macabre drama have simply gone to sleep and left the road (from just after Oando filling station onwards) to "lie fallow".

And mr fashola's hagiographers have the nerve to say lagos is working angry(whatever that means?)

I spent some time yesterday at Iponri where VIO and LASTMA officials hold court. I saw things there which left me speechless. Until that group is sorted out, traffic in this broken city WILL definitely get worse. But I know I am asking for too much.

'Eko oni baje' indeed.

Can you imagine speed which these criminals rushed and finished the toll plazas? Now everybody has to go to vgc to turn before facing vi. People living in Ajah has to leave home 5am to arrive at vi before 730am yet they will pay tolls.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by mollie12: 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2012
People its not the okada ban that is causing the traffic - its the fuel scarcity.

How does it even correlate anyway? Yes, no okada means longer bus queues but to say it means more traffic doesn't add up.

The traffic is really scary tho. I just can't wait for the light rails to be up and running *pheww!*
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by mollie12: 8:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
smarth-G:

I GAVE ACN ALL MY SUPPORT B4 BUT NOW AM SHIFTING IT ALL TO PDP AND TO ALL MY EMPLOYEES, VOTING PDP IS THE ONLY CONDITION TO REMAIN.

Not because PDP is good, gooder, goodest but I will rather suffer in the hand of PDP than the ALMIGHTY acn.

If the so Glorified Fashola could behave this way who in ACN can't.

The other effects of this operation is not even yet manifesting yet, let watch and see.

And this is how we Nigerians shoot ourselves in the foot.

PDP has given you several years of 'suffer head' with few positives to show for it. The 'sufferhead' of the ACN govt at least has the promise of yielding good fruits in the future (a saner, cleaner, neater Lagos) but yet you'd rather chose the former.

Please think wisely before you approach the polling booth, and don't let us make decisions our future children will curse us for.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by onyxo76(m): 8:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
I don't stay in lagos but I really feel those traffic jams anytime I have to do some biz there. The place is over populated and demand for transport outstrips supply.I guess there shld be serious investment in rail ans water transport. With this okada ban everyone has gone to buy a car even if its 6th hand just to move around. Roads have not expanded and cars have increased equals more traffic snarls. Nothing can make me stay in lagos even for 1million naira per month salary.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by onyxo76(m): 8:55pm On Nov 08, 2012
mollie12: People its not the okada ban that is causing the traffic - its the fuel scarcity.

How does it even correlate anyway? Yes, no okada means longer bus queues but to say it means more traffic doesn't add up.

The traffic is really scary tho. I just can't wait for the light rails to be up and running *pheww!*
well I can agree to a certain extent but if there is fuel scacity then there shld be fewer cars on the road. I was in ibadan over the weekend and fuel was really scarce the roads were really devoid of traffic as most people were in filling stations trying to get fuel.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by onyekabe(m): 9:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
mollie12: People its not the okada ban that is causing the traffic - its the fuel scarcity.

this how it corellate about 20% of okada riders and now bus driver. hence the additional no of vehicles on the road. Althoug we are still expecting more vehicle in few weeks to come
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by irohadis: 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
I could not believe the number of people who were in support of the ban before now. I reasoned then that these are people who have cars and drivers, the elite. But I also knew from the nature of the infrastructure in Lagos, that the hurt will be universal. Even Fashola will not find the way to clear the cars off the road so he can pass. I am flying in a bicycle for my Magodo to Ikeja commute.

X is No okada
Variables =
a = more cars on the road
b = more fuel demand
c = more pollution

ab is HELL ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = No road expansion
b = No new road construction
c = Population expansion
d = No Jobs
e = abundant crime

bc is government ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = inefficient
b = corrupt

cd is Government agencies ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = inefficient
b = corrupt

if (ab, bc, cd) is 'true'
abort. X
Else, pray to your god for the worst is yet to come.

below was my opinion immediately after the ban:
Fashola and his advisers, by pursuing this policy have really shown the height of their ineptitude. Forget the issue of being humane. Economics 101 should have taught them how crazy and idiotic this policy is.

Job loses:
It is conservative to say that there are 100,000 Okadas in Lagos State. 100,000 Okadas = 100,000 jobs. Plus, another 200,000 jobs for people who lease, sell and repair Okadas, as well as people who sell engine oil and spare parts to Okada people. Then there are the street kitchens who feed them with food and snacks. Let us say that conservatively, the total jobs lost = 300,000. Let us assume that each Okada job makes an average of =N=2000 a day. =N=2000 x 300,000 Okadas = =N=600,000,000 (six hundred million) a day in lost business to the Lagos economy.

Killing the future:
Then there are the kids that may drop out of school because of loss of income for their parents, others that would die of simple illnesses for lack of free medical care. These children's health and education define the future of Lagos to a significant extent. Let me leave out the extended family and networks that these incomes support. I can't quantify the cost to Lagos in this respect.

Undermining efficiency:
It is the height of ignorance to fail to recognise the efficiency that Okadas bring to business operations and activities in Lagos. Where are they roads? As bad as the riders are, Okada's are the most efficient means of getting around the gridlock that is Lagos during the day. No government invited them to start operations. Okadas began in Lagos organically in response to a need for a faster way to get around and a way to reach the nooks and corners ill serviced by public transport vehicles. That need has not gone away and the weak infrastructure has not changed. The immediate cost to businesses small and large that depend on Okadas may also run into the hundreds of millions a day.

Unfair devaluation of private asset value:
The estimated 200,000 Okada vehicles in Lagos, who is going to buy them? What happens to their value? Let us say they are each worth at least =N=50,000 on average. That is 10 billion Naira worth of private assets devalued with a single policy. Is there an Okada buy back policy to at least give these now jobless people some capital to find another means of livelihood??

The idiotic case for the ban:
Yes robbers use Okadas to terrorise the city. Yes Okada riders can be rough on the road. Yes many have been maimed by Okadas. These are good reasons to see Okada as a problem, but hardly a justification. Why? If you think robbers are using Okadas to gain an advantage, imagine if 1% of 300,000 turn to robbery for a lack of employment. That is three thousand robbers injected into the society in one go. Imagine if 5% turn to other forms of crime or negative social behaviour. That makes 18,000. Do we not have enough of those in Lagos. Do we have the jails to hold them?

Okada riders are rough on the road. So is every one. Unless it is a different Lagos, the Lagos I know is one where you deserve a special license for being able to drive in it. Almost every one is in a hurry. It is easy to pick out the small guys. But how can a government that has not built the good roads banish road users for being rough. The terrain shapes the nature of navigation. Many have died and been maimed by Okada accidents. But more have died from the bad and neglected government roads. If you need to sack any one in this regard, it is the guys in power, who have misused our collective wealth instead of building our infrastructure.

The bigger nuisance in Nigerian and in Lagos is the governance and not Okada. Those in power are stealing much more than robbers have stolen with Okadas. They have left the infrastructure to decay in a city with so much wealth. They are building up elite neigbourhoods while the masses wade the floods to their homes. They have killed more through their negligence. The Okada man is an easy target to help clean up their mess. If you need to decongest the roads, build more and expand existing roads, create new public transportation modes (trains, buses,boats), build bicycle lanes, etc. If you need to improve security, equip the security forces and install more security infrastructure. Think for solutions first before taking the easy and ill informed way.

Fashola has really really disappointed me and ACN can not win a free election in Lagos if this policy stands. The masses are the majority and not the elite.

3 Likes

Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by aribisala0(m): 9:43pm On Nov 08, 2012
10000 ashawo + 10000 armed robbers in Lagos state = 20000 jobs .Question is do we want those kinds of jobs in Lagos.There are very simple questions no one asks.Before a person puts a motorbike on the road and starts carrying members of the public by way of "OKADA" what kind of training or licensing do they have? How sane or sober are these people. How do you trace them if things go wrong and finally is there no limit to how many okadas Lagos can carry?

If you cut you hair or your nails or even sustain an injury the body starts to replace the lost cells/tissue immediately.The body also knows when to stop growing hair,nails etc otherwise there will be chaos. When that mechanism fails you speak of CANCER. Okada is becoming a cancer in Lagos and the violent reaction is only a confirmation that the decision to curtail their activities is the correct one!
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by forkinsonlolo(m): 10:01pm On Nov 08, 2012
i spent three good hours on third mainland bridge this evening cry cry embarassed
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by SailorXY: 10:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
2sexy: but seriously, you like to show off as if you are what....? (nairaland help me complete.)

people are talking about serious issue affecting a larger proportion of the populace... You wan tell every say you live in VI. Imagine how many times you mentioned VI as if say na LasVegas or NewYork.

Rubbish!!!
mehn i think say na only me dey observe the nonsense sef. The guy need some lessons in humility... Everyone here is not as "poor" as he believes
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by glb2012: 10:29pm On Nov 08, 2012
beamed:

The birth of a megacity does not come cheaply but I tell you Lagos govt has put the cart before the horse. Now you mention street by street transport among other things. The issues has to do with the highways where the roads are riddled with drum holes and consequently traffic is slowed. For a person living on the island, you not be privileged to see the chaos at various mainland bus stops. From Agbado to ijaiye to agege to ikeja all the way to oshodi. Ikorodu road, apapa road, okokomaiko, ajngbadi are places you'll see people sweat it out. The ban would have make sense if the roads are ok. Worse still when the community gathers to do something about the roads, somebody just shows up from alausa to frustrate the community effort claimimg that it's government responsibility. Yet no action from them. It seems to me that power of positive reasoning is lacking in our leaders. Ban them if you must but do the right things first.
u r spot on bro!!...billionaire should see how pple suffer between volks and barracks, iyana ipaja and agege,ikorodu to know the hardship this restriction is causing...atleast let the govt FIX THE ROAdS!!!
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by glb2012: 10:31pm On Nov 08, 2012
beamed:

The birth of a megacity does not come cheaply but I tell you Lagos govt has put the cart before the horse. Now you mention street by street transport among other things. The issues has to do with the highways where the roads are riddled with drum holes and consequently traffic is slowed. For a person living on the island, you not be privileged to see the chaos at various mainland bus stops. From Agbado to ijaiye to agege to ikeja all the way to oshodi. Ikorodu road, apapa road, okokomaiko, ajngbadi are places you'll see people sweat it out. The ban would have make sense if the roads are ok. Worse still when the community gathers to do something about the roads, somebody just shows up from alausa to frustrate the community effort claimimg that it's government responsibility. Yet no action from them. It seems to me that power of positive reasoning is lacking in our leaders. Ban them if you must but do the right things first.
u r spot on bro!!...billionaire should see how pple suffer between volks and barracks, iyana ipaja and agege,ikorodu to know the hardship this restriction is causing...atleast let the govt FIX THE ROAdS!!!
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 08, 2012

Nope, It's the ban. There is something call modal shift in traffic engineering. When one option becomes attractive over another, people switch transport modes. In these case, okada was attractive to commuters, now that most of them have been taken off the road, that means people are moving to the next attractive option which is personal cars hence more cars on the road. Even if the roads are made bigger, it would attract more cars again. It's actually gonna be worse when there is no fuel scarcity as that would make cars more attractive to commuters. Even the so called light rail would only stop at major bus stop and due to lack of integrated transport systems. people would still find their cars more attractive. But I am sure you know that the commissioner of transport trained as a bio-chemist!
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by baumolina(m): 11:08pm On Nov 08, 2012

Have you taken your drugs?Read what you wrote again..what's d correlation between fuel scarcity and traffic?
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by deaconfrost: 5:45am On Nov 09, 2012
saxywale:
Nope, It's the ban. There is something call modal shift in traffic engineering. When one option becomes attractive over another, people switch transport modes. In these case, okada was attractive to commuters, now that most of them have been taken off the road, that means people are moving to the next attractive option which is personal cars hence more cars on the road. Even if the roads are made bigger, it would attract more cars again. It's actually gonna be worse when there is no fuel scarcity as that would make cars more attractive to commuters. Even the so called light rail would only stop at major bus stop and due to lack of integrated transport systems. people would still find their cars more attractive. But I am sure you know that the commissioner of transport trained as a bio-chemist!

spot on bro. THIS IS THE BEST THREAD I HAVE EVER SEEN IN NL. 92% of the comments are on point (for and against) and constructive (@ least for now).

1 Like

Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by onyekabe(m): 6:15am On Nov 09, 2012
irohadis: I could not believe the number of people who were in support of the ban before now. I reasoned then that these are people who have cars and drivers, the elite. But I also knew from the nature of the infrastructure in Lagos, that the hurt will be universal. Even Fashola will not find the way to clear the cars off the road so he can pass. I am flying in a bicycle for my Magodo to Ikeja commute.

X is No okada
Variables =
a = more cars on the road
b = more fuel demand
c = more pollution

ab is HELL ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = No road expansion
b = No new road construction
c = Population expansion
d = No Jobs
e = abundant crime

bc is government ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = inefficient
b = corrupt

cd is Government agencies ('true', 'false')
Variables =
a = inefficient
b = corrupt

if (ab, bc, cd) is 'true'
abort. X
Else, pray to your god for the worst is yet to come.

below was my opinion immediately after the ban:
the best analysis concerning the ban of okada
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by komek(m): 8:26am On Nov 09, 2012
luvinhubby:
He shud have started the train & ferry b/4 banning Okada, unreasonable politicians. angry
I am not against the ban on
Okada, but a reasonable administrator shud have done exactly what u just said.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Piyke: 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
Its quite unfortunate. I doubt if Lagos would outgrow this problem until power is sorted out.

The truth is no mega city in the world survives by road networks alone. Trains are a sine qua non. And in fact, in the real mega cities, part of the rail network is underground to relieve the volume overground. But all this requires a stable POWER supply.

In addition, other states in Nigeria need to "develop" to relieve the "pressure" on Lagos. Its difficult to see a future of reasonable public services in Lagos if it continues to grow at the current burgeoning rate.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by jpphilips(m): 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2012
jobaskia: @jp pHILLIPS. If you want to be a billionaire , think like a billionaire! I think i like his beautiful utterances .We are all anonymous in here .

Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Science without humanity
Knowledge without character
Politics without principle
Commerce without morality
Worship without sacrifice.”

you still have a lot to learn, Nairaland kid.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by Lamasta(m): 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
Kx: FYI.
lAGOS is no longer the centre of excellence.
It is now the centre of traffic.
Little wonder instead of opening excellent radio, they opened Traffic radio.

MY brother it is easy to ban the Okada people but it is not easy to ban agbero because they have God father. Lagos is just an overated state there is nothing excellent about the state.
Re: Traffic Situation In Lagos Is Getting Worse Everyday by jpphilips(m): 3:56pm On Nov 09, 2012
beamed:

please don't mind that non living thing called Billy the fool, it happened like that in PH but in less than 2months, Taxis appeared from no where and flooded the city, as if the miracle was incomplete, tri cycle came to the rescue, lately nobody misses okada anymore.
just be patient those Okada people have money to rent cabs. The Rivers state Govt even went further to ask them to paint the cabs state colors before plying the roads, instituted some road taxes too, yet it didn't stop the proliferation.

The truth is that tri-cycle will replace those Okada with time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ten Nigerians Held In Uk For Marriage, Immigration Fraud / FG Inaugurates Freight Services On Apapa-Ibadan Cargo Rail / Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.