Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra (3923 Views)

Ondo: INEC Declares Two More State Assembly Seats For PDP. / National Conference Gives Igbos New 8 More State, Hausa/fulani Get 2 / Creation Of More State In Yorubaland An Issue Of Justice Delay Is Justice Denied (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by EzePromoe: 7:28pm On Nov 08, 2012
Abagworo:

But its the fact. Oguta is related to Ndoni,Aboh and Ukwuani more than Orlu or Owerri both in dialect and culture. Some people claim remnants of Ezechima but our ancestors I believe came mostly from Aboh.
Take a closer look at the bolded here:
omicron: there are also Anioma people in Anambra State i.e. Onitsha , Ogbaru, Akwukwu Obosi, Ozobulu, Ogidi, Oraifite. Some are in Imo State i.e. Oguta, Rivers State i.e. Ndoni, Ogba.
WTF is that guy talking about, Ozubulu too? He should simply put Nnewi there so that will applaud his stupidity. Or better he put Ikwerre as being Anioma. angry
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by anulaxad(m): 7:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
instead of making states i strongly believe they should join states instead of making them.if i was in power i would have only five states and if i really wanted i will have three one will be the yorubaland then the other igboland and the last one huasaland or "nothern nigerian state" angry and i would do it in ignorance.

1 Like

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by zibe(m): 8:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
These people are hell bent on waging war in Anambra if this happens. Create your Anioma and leave out Anambra na. We're united as it is already. Those in Anambra that are claiming not to be full Igbo should simply go to Delta, cos I understand that, from history, they migrated from Delta to Anambra.

And I seriously hope the person mentioning oraifite as Anioma is joking!

1 Like

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Amitex(m): 9:38pm On Nov 08, 2012
State creation is very important for the people of Anioma because of cultural affinity as well as to correct the imbalance of political power in Delta State. I do not believe that Anioma State, when created should be grouped amongst the South East region just because of language affinity alone. After all, people speak Yoruba in Kwara, Edo and Kogi, yet not part of South West.

Also, including Onitsha in the Anioma State structure has a very clear reason. All over Anioma, the term OBI is used for the king and the kingship structure is hereditary. In all of present day South East, except unknown to me, only Onitsha has this OBI-SHIP arrangement. This has a very significant connotation and good enough reason to align these people who are truly kith and kins. However, before we fight over whether Onitsha should be part of Anioma State, what does the Onitsha people want? If they want to be part of Anioma, all well and good as such no one can prevent them.

1 Like

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Elueme: 10:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
If this Anioma dream is realized with all the Igbo speaking parts of delta and Edo as well as onitsha making a state, it will surely be a great state which will surpass Lagos in less than 30 years. There is large oil deposit in ukwani, large expanse of land in Igbodo, Omonode and Owa etc while onitsha can mk a good commercial hive.. It will make sense to be the governor of that state someday.. Time to start perfecting strategies.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Abagworo(m): 11:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
Amitex: State creation is very important for the people of Anioma because of cultural affinity as well as to correct the imbalance of political power in Delta State. I do not believe that Anioma State, when created should be grouped amongst the South East region just because of language affinity alone. After all, people speak Yoruba in Kwara, Edo and Kogi, yet not part of South West.

Also, including Onitsha in the Anioma State structure has a very clear reason. All over Anioma, the term OBI is used for the king and the kingship structure is hereditary. In all of present day South East, except unknown to me, only Onitsha has this OBI-SHIP arrangement. .

Long live Anioma, long live Nigeria!!

@bolded. Not only Onitsha but at least you admitted not knowing.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Dainfamous: 11:51pm On Nov 08, 2012
i don't think anioma state will extend to SE onicha ado belong to SE any body that want onicha should cross the river niger to SE, not the other way round....
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by EzePromoe: 11:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
Amitex: State creation is very important for the people of Anioma because of cultural affinity as well as to correct the imbalance of political power in Delta State. I do not believe that Anioma State, when created should be grouped amongst the South East region just because of language affinity alone. After all, people speak Yoruba in Kwara, Edo and Kogi, yet not part of South West.

Also, including Onitsha in the Anioma State structure has a very clear reason. All over Anioma, the term OBI is used for the king and the kingship structure is hereditary. In all of present day South East, except unknown to me, only Onitsha has this OBI-SHIP arrangement. This has a very significant connotation and good enough reason to align these people who are truly kith and kins. However, before we fight over whether Onitsha should be part of Anioma State, what does the Onitsha people want? If they want to be part of Anioma, all well and good as such no one can prevent them.

As for Igbanke and Ekpon in Edo State, they were sold to Edo State by their elder brother and I think this is the most auspicious moment to trully join their kiths and kins in new Anioma State.

Long live Anioma, long live Nigeria!!
I wish i could just drive in a pen knife into your belly. Anioma is not good to join the south east but it's ideal to merge Onitsha to Anioma. Thief! Won't this guys pity Anambra for God sake. They gave us a big blow by taking Enugu, as if it's not okay they still want to cede Onitsha to Anioma. God punish all of una.

1 Like

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by eldoradoxx: 6:25am On Nov 09, 2012
chino11: God Forbid the National Assembly in their devilish move to touch any part of Anambra for whatever reason..

Onitsha people are real Anambrans and Igbos, and cannot be joined to anioma..

The best they can do is to create anioma from delta and join it to become the 6th SE state..simple

But any attempt to carve out any part of Anambra will meet a brick wall..because I will personal lead a revolution and secession of Anambra as a monolithic state which it is..
An Onitsha person shares closer cultural ties to the Aniomas than to any part of Anambra state you would agree with me. Onitsha is fast expanding into Asaba, most businessmen and women trading in Onitsha now comfortably reside at Asaba. I think that the carving out of Anioma from Delta state and joining it to South East would also expand the land mass area of South East. If you go to the map , you will agree with me that East is the smallest part of Nigeria and State creation should be done in such a way that will not further balkanise it, but expand it. I am thinking of a situation where Ibo speaking parts of Kogi, Benue,Cross River and Rivers can be carved out of the region they currently belong and joined with neighbouring territories to form a State rather than dividing the already small South East into states. I also believe that Anioma is not coming with liabilites! Oil wells are currently being discovered within the area, I know of some wells in Ogwashi Uku and other areas that are undergoing exploration, indeed the area is lying in the oil belt of delta. So there is nothing to fear other than the cherished Onitsha may be lost by Anambra, but Nnewi is there, new towns can be planned and developed, onitsha is currently a mess. In politics you win some and loose some.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by 9javoice1(m): 8:03am On Nov 09, 2012
Why are some folks talking about this as an issue.

The reporter is speaking his mind and he is entitled to that. David Mark can never ever think that direction.
And some people here is worked up already about that.

We all know that it is not possible for onitsha to join Anioma because of the river Niger boundary demarcating both state.
The best we can have here is having an Onicha state which is what onicha people themself is campaigning for the last time i check not joining Anioma .
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by chucky234(m): 8:08am On Nov 09, 2012
Eze Promoe:
You're very stupid for writing that bolded crap angry
Your silly brain prevented you from seeing the source of the article: wikipedia
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by ACM10: 8:09am On Nov 09, 2012
I'm at a loss on why Onitsha should be singled out to be incorporated into Anioma state! I smell politics of divide and rule here. What will Anambra be left with if Onitsha is carved out? undecided Someday, they will carve out Enugu and merge it in a proposed state to be created out of Benue. Igbo leaders should resist this move.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by cjrane: 8:11am On Nov 09, 2012
Nigerian abracadabra madness has started again. S now it is Anioma they want to destabilize by adding the massive Onitsha to it? Then the Onitsha zone will naturally dominate the new state based on population. That idea is dead on arrival. If they want to create a state for the SE to iron out the imbalance,they should do so. Putting Anioma creation into that category is completely unacceptable.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by chucky234(m): 8:13am On Nov 09, 2012
Elueme: If this Anioma dream is realized with all the Igbo speaking parts of delta and Edo as well as onitsha making a state, it will surely be a great state which will surpass Lagos in less than 30 years. There is large oil deposit in ukwani, large expanse of land in Igbodo, Omonode and Owa etc while onitsha can mk a good commercial hive.. It will make sense to be the governor of that state someday.. Time to start perfecting strategies.
I am already warming up to become the first governor of Anioma state.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by 9javoice1(m): 8:14am On Nov 09, 2012
The greater igbo nation is very important to us. We need to come together and form a bound among ourself .

Those speaking about the relationship of Anioma and Onicha people, obosi, ogbaru etc should also think about annexing Anioma back to Nri etc they come from originally.
The issue here is not who join who but joining forces together to make an Anioma state a reality with their kits and kin in edo state.

Whether Anioma has or not any mineral is not an issue to greater igbo nation, we need our Kitts and kin anywhere they are whether poor or rich .
We igbo nation has ability to build and develope our society. We can build back even ebonyi state.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Afam4eva(m): 9:01am On Nov 09, 2012
chucky234: I am already warming up to become the first governor of Anioma state.
I though you were from Lagos.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Afam4eva(m): 9:02am On Nov 09, 2012
Pls does anyone know if the Igbo speaking parts of Rivers, Benue, Kogi have a border with Anioma?
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by EzePromoe: 9:29am On Nov 09, 2012
afam4eva: Pls does anyone know if the Igbo speaking parts of Rivers, Benue, Kogi have a border with Anioma?
Apart from Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni in Rivers state no other from the states mentioned above. undecided
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Afam4eva(m): 9:33am On Nov 09, 2012
Eze Promoe:
Apart from Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni in Rivers state no other from the states mentioned above. undecided
Are you thinking what i'm thinking?
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by Abagworo(m): 9:36am On Nov 09, 2012
Eze Promoe:

I don't know of any Igbo in Kogi but I believe they do have a small boundary with Anioma around Ebu who also speak Igala alongside Igbo and Esan.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by EzePromoe: 9:37am On Nov 09, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you thinking what i'm thinking?
How
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by passion007: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
Eze Promoe: I support the idea of creating Anioma state because they've been marginalised by the current Delta state government but i don't support the ceding of Onitsha to Anioma. God forbid that i'll wake up one morning and i will hear on radio that i'm not from Anambra any longer. I'm proud of my state. The light of the nation.
guy take am easy. Lolol. Na so we wake up one cold morning and they tell us say we no from Anambra again, say we from Enugu...now we r loving it.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by danjohn: 4:31pm On Nov 09, 2012
Most of the states in Nigeria are glorified local governments. The only legitimate argument for a new state in the SE, is that it will provide Igbos with more representation in the Senate. However, I have an alternate idea. Why don't we consolidate the states in each region? We can either make Nigeria have only 6 states or we can make each region have 2 or 3 states with every region having an equal number of states. Doing this will give us states that more viable economically and it will reduce the cost of government.

Right now most of the states in Nigeria are too dependent on the federal government. They cannot sustain themselves with internally generated tax revenue. Instead they come to Abuja every month to collect Niger Delta oil money. This needs to stop. There is nothing wrong with states sharing in the proceeds on the nation's oil revenue. However, there is a problem if that is the only way a state can sustain itself.

2 Likes

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by mensdept: 5:11pm On Nov 09, 2012
danjohn: Most of the states in Nigeria are glorified local governments. The only legitimate argument for a new state in the SE, is that it will provide Igbos with more representation in the Senate. However, I have an alternate idea. Why don't we consolidate the states in each region? We can either make Nigeria have only 6 states or we can make each region have 2 or 3 states with every region having an equal number of states. Doing this will give us states that more viable economically and it will reduce the cost of government.

Right now most of the states in Nigeria are too dependent on the federal government. They cannot sustain themselves with internally generated tax revenue. Instead they come to Abuja every month to collect Niger Delta oil money. This needs to stop. There is nothing wrong with states sharing in the proceeds on the nation's oil revenue. However, there is a problem if that is the only way a state can sustain itself.

I think you are on to something. Name one state that can boast of world class facilities including great highways, medical centers, schools, airports, etc.

All this state creation is to enable crooks to steal from a divided and complacent populace. Do you think Gbenga Daniel could have been governor if there was the Western Region (Over the likes of Tinubu or Fashola). Could Theo Orji be "elected governor" if Abia State was with Imo?

Never!

State creation has been the problem in the country, as its kept all the evil started by the British to exploit the people, as we continue to bear the colonial derogatory name "Nigeria" (Nigg.Area)

1 Like

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by PointB: 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
I hope this state creation move is not a fluke. I can wait for SE to have equally number of states like other zones.

Anioma is welcome to join the SE.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by solomon111(m): 5:49pm On Nov 09, 2012
I think it is a good thing that anioma state is created and zoned to the SE.
But what i don't agree with is that onitsha be added to it.
It would cause disenfranchisement and could affect the equilibrium of anioma.
The state is already big as it is,and is highly endowed with diverse natural resources,especially oil, of which i can definitely attest to,as some of our lands in owa has been earmarked for possible oil exploration.
The capital could be in Asaba or Agbor.
God bless Anioma.!
God bless Ndi-igbo!

2 Likes

Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by cjrane: 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2012
PointB: I hope this state creation move is not a fluke. I can wait for SE to have equally number of states like other zones.

Anioma is welcome to join the SE.

My brother,
I am from the Anioma part of Delta and i can tell you the area deserves to be made a state. But those that specialize in politicizing everything concerning Igbos are at it again. They know the South east deserves a state in order to balance the country. They also know Anioma is the only qualified area based on land mass and population that can become a true viable state. But instead of simply creating Anioma as the people already know it and as they requested, they will create confusion by saying they will add parts of Anambra to it. Soon they will say parts of Kogi, parts of Ikwerre land should be added and also parts of Imo and Edo state too grin grin grin. So when they create enough confusion,then they suddenly say the "people" don't want Anioma state. It is just the same vicious men fighting tooth and nail to deny the South east a deserved state by deliberately creating confusion.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by PointB: 7:33pm On Nov 09, 2012
cjrane:

My brother,
I am from the Anioma part of Delta and i can tell you the area deserves to be made a state. But those that specialize in politicizing everything concerning Igbos are at it again. They know the South east deserves a state in order to balance the country. They also know Anioma is the only qualified area based on land mass and population that can become a true viable state. But instead of simply creating Anioma as the people already know it and as they requested, they will create confusion by saying they will add parts of Anambra to it. Soon they will say parts of Kogi, parts of Ikwerre land should be added and also parts of Imo and Edo state too grin grin grin. So when they create enough confusion,then they suddenly say the "people" don't want Anioma state. It is just the same vicious men fighting tooth and nail to deny the South east a deserved state by deliberately creating confusion.

You have valid point there> I also clearly don't understand nor agree to their argument of adding any part of Anambra to Anioma, least of all Onitsha. That is why I am cautious about the whole stuff. Well, I hope our Reps at the NA know what to do. They better not come back home empty handed!
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by solomon111(m): 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
cjrane:

My brother,
+1000
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by EzePromoe: 7:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
passion007: guy take am easy. Lolol. Na so we wake up one cold morning and they tell us say we no from Anambra again, say we from Enugu...now we r loving it.
You don't understand the pride of being an Anambra man. I don't want my fellow Anambra men to start to see me as less Igbo tomorrow when Anioma people will begin their i-am-not-Igbo ranting.
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by 9javoice1(m): 8:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY WILL CREATE MORE
STATES..... – Sen. David Mark.
**Anioma will most certainly be one of such.
**Some parts of Anambra state likely to be
included
**To be a part of the South Eastern zone.

Senate President, David Mark,has revealed that
there is a very good possibility that the
National Assembly would create additional
states, just as he also stressed that the move
was desirable for the country as it would help
address the issue of marginalisation .
Senator Mark, who noted that creation of
additional states would bring government
closer to the people, said: “Creation of
additional states can only make government
closer to the people contrary to the view in
certain quarters that we do not need
additional states in the federation.”.

However, our source within the National
Assembly has hinted that Anioma state
remains one of the top priorities when the
decision to create the additional states is to
be made. As we reported some months ago,
the only snag, according to our source will be
the persistent pressure by some groups to
have the new Anioma state as part of the
South Eastern zone. To this end, our source
has also revealed that part of Anambra state
will be integrated into the newly proposed
Anioma state, which according to the source
is now a certainty should the National
Assembly finally decides to create the
additional states.
As it is now, our source revealed that should
there be only one state to be created by the
National Assembly, that it certainly looks to be
Anioma as a part of the South Eastern zone
with Onitsha and Ogbaru included in it.

When Onu Anioma conducted the views of
some Aniomas, there was a mixed reaction to
the development as some expressed outright
objection to having any part of the Eastern
States included in the proposed Anioma state
while few others, received the news in good
faith alleging that Onitsha, Ogbaru and some
other Eastern communities were originally
our kith and kin.
It will be recalled that the Igbo apex body,
Ohaneze Ndigbo headed by our own Chief
Ralph Uwaechue held a meeting some weeks
back at Asaba and the idea of including some
parts of Anambra state in the proposed
Anioma state was high on its agenda.
ONE PEOPLE......ONE MIND........ONE VOICE.........!

pls can we read the bolded again and see that the issue of including some part of Anambra state to Anioma is just ordinary speculation.
David mark never said that, its just the reporter is telling us about his source bla bla bla.

lets talk on the important part of the news and keep speculation by the side
Re: David Mark.. National Assembly Will Create More State, Anioma To Join Anambra by AndreUweh(m): 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
The splitting up of Anambra state into Anambra and Enugu states wasn't a surprise to anybody. The division was there for long and nearly brought a crisis in the state. The Wawas were pushing for a Wawa state in 1987, in a great shock to the nation, IBB created Akwa Ibom state for the south and Katsina for the north. So in 1991, no one woke up being surprised that Enugu state was created.
On the Obiship, not only in Anioma, do you have Obis. There are some Obis in Oguta and Ogba areas of Rivers state.
On Onitsha, they have never at anytime wanted to quit Anambra state and merged with Anioma. At a time, some of them wanted Orimiri state for those areas on the eastern bank of the Niger e.g, Onitsha, Ogbaru and Ndoni areas. But that arrangement was dead on arrival and no one has ever spoken about it
What some Ohanaeze chietains want is the south east to have the same number of states with other geo-political zones and as a consequence wants Anioma created and joined to the south east.
But the Asagba of Asaba-Prof Edozien is of a different opinion. He wants regionalism and that the entire south east and Igbo speaking areas of Delta and Rivers state to be merged into one region.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abia Before And Abia After - Making Comparative Analysis / Letter From Shehu Shagari To Buhari / Olawepo-hashim Challenges Buhari, Atiku To Presidential Debate, Hail Oby Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.