Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,404 members, 7,819,431 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please (11672 Views)

Alfred Akawe-Torkula, Tor Of Tiv Is Dead / Nigerians Home And Abroad This Way Please / For Those Who Speak Italian This Way, Please No English. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 5:27pm On Feb 05, 2008
Hero:

Great warriors? cheesy Hardly. grin They've been run over and run through more than an interstate 95.

One minute he is spending his life time studying the great Tiv people another minute he is saying something different, you have a lot in common with fish , , a three second memory !. I've had too much of your company a guy with your IQ should not post at all cheesycheesy I guess when God was throwing intelligence down to the earth, you were holding an umbrella. cheesy Why don't you go to the library and brush up on your ignorance? cheesy

Ijiji1:

We used to live in Markudi when I was little, that place is the most backward state in Nigeria, and HOT!!as hell. All the know how to do there is eat yam and get drunk.

I would have liked to insult you, but with your intelligence you wouldn't get offended. If you act like an ass, don't get insulted if people ride you.
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by oziomatv(m): 11:02am On Feb 07, 2008
Blacky na wetin dey shele noww?
how wein?
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by omoge(f): 5:26pm On Feb 07, 2008
Ude nuna grin

ha i don't play with Tiv yam o. That yam sweet kia kia more than anything. wetin dem dey put for that yam self? maybe its the huge heap they plant it on? someone send me some Tiv Yam grin
and that whitish melon soup, olala mu su ga grin
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 10:22am On Feb 08, 2008
omoge:

Ude nuna grin

ha i don't play with Tiv yam o. That yam sweet kia kia more than anything. wetin them dey put for that yam self? maybe its the huge heap they plant it on? someone send me some Tiv Yam grin
and that whitish melon soup, olala mu su ga grin

Omoge ugu didoo grin Which group do you fall in? Tiv,Friends of Tiv or Married to Tiv? grin
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 10:27am On Feb 08, 2008
oziomatv:

Blacky na wetin dey shele noww?
how wein?

Blacky just de grin I take style like how you take shorten my nickname grin
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 10:56am On Feb 15, 2008
thresa8:

Nigeria: Declare Benue State Emergency Area

Daily Trust (Abuja)

2 Feb 2008

Abuja

The Benue State government has been asked to declare a state of emergency on the high prevalence rate of HIV/AIDS in the state.

The governor's wife, Mrs Yemisi Suswam made the plea on Monday, at a one-day sen-sitisation meeting with HIV/AIDS stakeholders in Makurdi.

She said the 10 per cent prevalence rate of people living with the scourge in the state was "unacceptable", saying a society with even five per cent mark should be declared a crisis zone.

Benue State Action Committee on HIV/AIDS (BENSACA) had rated the state as the highest in the number of people living with the ailment, despite a drop from 16.8 per cent in 1999 to the present 10 per cent.

Suswam said the government should collaborate with the 198 civil society groups fighting the scourge in the state, as it was the duty of government to assist such persons.

She expressed concern over the adverse effect of the epidemic on women and children, noting that the society had made HIV/AIDS to "wear a woman's face".

"It is the woman in the household, whether as an adult, adolescent or child that suffers most.

"The woman cares for the sick in the hospital or stays at home to look after the sick, she is the one who has to withdraw from school in order to care for the sick person,"she added.

In her speech, the Coordinator, State AIDS Programme, Mrs. Grace Wende commended development partners and all stakeholders that had relentlessly fought the epidemic.

She said the government needed to show more commitment in the area of funding for sustainable fight against the disease.

Wende wants the government to increase number of service delivery points of Anti-Retroviral Therapy, HIV counseling, testing centres as well as prevention of mother to child transmission across

thresa8:

Nigerian first Lady launches HIV/AIDS project

January 18, 2008 :: Abel Orih I doma,Markurdi ThisDay

The people of Benue State yesterday trooped into Makurdi Airport to receive the wife of President Umaru Yar'Adua, Hajiya Turai, who was in the state to launch the Women Coalition On HIV/AIDS, the pet project of Mrs. Yemisi Dooshima Suswam, wife of Benue State Governor.

Hajiya Turai who walked into the warm embrace of the Benue first family, was driven straight to IBB Square Makurdi where she launched the project, calling on wives of other state governors to emulate what she described as the most wonderful humanitarian service being rendered by the wife of the state governor, Mrs Suswam.

She applauded the effort of Mrs. Suswam for responding to her recent call on all wives of governors across the nation to set up non-governmental organizations in order to salvage the vulnerable nature of women and children in the Nigerian societ.

According to her, "Women have contributed immensely to the socio-economic development of the nation, and in the vanguard of this state and development, women contributes immensely to all households. I'm quite fascinated with the commitment of Mrs. Dooshima Suswam towards the plight of the most vulnerable ones who are the women and children in the society, and who constitutes over 60 percent of those suffering the HIV/AIDS pandemic across the nation", she said.

On her part, she promised to assist Mrs Suswam in achieving the objectives of her foundation, by rendering whatever necessary assistance, to impact meaningfully on the lives of helpless members of the society, stressing that the world would remember her for her commitment and zeal to alleviate the suffering of the less privilleged.

In his speech at the occasion, the state governor, Gabriel Suswam, said Benue government and people of the state are happy to have worthy parents in President Yar'Adua and his wife Hajiya Turai, and hoped that the relationship would continue to grow in years to come."I wish to reiterate that, my wife and I came to Government House with a mission. We are deeply aware that only individuals who belong to a system can really effect a change in that system, we are from a state ravaged by poverty, ignorance, diseases and incessant deaths".

" We cannot continue to wallow in the very things that held us back as individuals and as a people. When we rounded up our campaigns and returned, my wife sat and reflected on what she saw, she was dismayed at the level of decay, poverty and in action in our commitments. It was then that she nurtured a dream that is being materialized today".

While commending Hajiya Turai for sharing in the dreams, Governor Suswam said, "My role in this epic is to provide the necessary support and enabling environment for the foundation to operate; to give voice to the voiceless; to humanize the dehumanized, to enrich the impoverished; to energize the economically disadvantaged and to let everyone know that government can be good and, trusted. I want to demonstrate that something good can still come out of Benue".

Earlier, wife of the state governor and initiator of SEV-AV Foundation, Arc. (Mrs.) Yemisi Dooshima Suswam said the event is a direct outcome of a call by Hajiya Turai Yar'Adua on wives of the 36 governors and other notable women representatives last year, to fight and win the war against HIV/AIDS.

Only shows that all states have it but only one state is taking steps to avert it. The remaining 35 states should take a cue from Benue state fast
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Deji1010(m): 10:51pm On Mar 16, 2008
I came in contact with a Tiv guy during my national youth service corp (N.Y.S.C.)
at Kaduna state, the Tiv guy later be my companion and a true and trusted friend.
I never regreted meeting Mr Elias Abaleka, civil engineer 4rm university of agricultiure Makurdi.4years ago we met and we still talk and dream high together.
He once told me about thier ladies been SWEET but never met one.
Its also in our legendry history on how the middle belts region of Nigeria uphold the "UNITY OF OUR COUNTRY"With Tiv as the central spread of the region.I love the TIV
4 FAITHFULNESS,TRUTHFULLY,UNIQUENESS,LOVE 4 SOLDIER,BEAUTY OF THIER LADIES.
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Nwaka77: 5:11am On Mar 17, 2008
Msugh o! I salute una. I went to borading school (JSS1 - SS3) in Katsina-Ala which is 30 mins away from Gboko. I love Tiv yam and I miss Julie and Peter mango. Those were the days. Tiv people are good people too. Just wanted to pop in and say hello cheesy

@Hero

If you have nothing pleasant to say then keep quiet! I am sick and tired of your I-know-it-all attitude. Now, you a black american knows more about Tiv people than Tiv people know about themselves? ode! angry
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 11:01am On Mar 17, 2008
Deji1010:

I came in contact with a Tiv guy during my national youth service corp (N.Y.S.C.)
at Kaduna state, the Tiv guy later be my companion and a true and trusted friend.
I never regreted meeting Mr Elias Abaleka, civil engineer from university of agricultiure Makurdi.4years ago we met and we still talk and dream high together.
He once told me about their ladies been SWEET but never met one.
Its also in our legendry history on how the middle belts region of Nigeria uphold the "UNITY OF OUR COUNTRY"With Tiv as the central spread of the region.I love the TIV
4 FAITHFULNESS,TRUTHFULLY,UNIQUENESS,LOVE 4 SOLDIER,BEAUTY OF THIER LADIES.

Thank you
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Blackcat(f): 11:01am On Mar 17, 2008
Nwaka77:

@Hero

If you have nothing pleasant to say then keep quiet! I am sick and tired of your I-know-it-all attitude. Now, you a black american knows more about Tiv people than Tiv people know about themselves? ode! angry

My sister, tell him ojare grin
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by janedoe(f): 4:23pm On Dec 27, 2008
U nde verr black cat?wow we seem 2 be the only tiv pple in hia cry
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by KB1(m): 6:11pm On Dec 27, 2008
Did you Tiv folks know that your people were the original holders and rulers of the northern lands of Nigeria in which are most commonly refered to as the lands of the Hausa today? It was about 1200 years ago that the Hausa came pouring into the the rich fertile lands from the Northern Sahel in what is today Chad, Niger and Darfur Sudan, with their Herds of cattle and goats in that their traditional herding lands had become over crowded and exhausted. Upon arriving in your lands, the migrants, were at first very friendly and the Tiv allowed them to settle in the lands and feed their animals, then after about 80 years in the lands the Hausa numbers had skyrocketed to become more than that of the Tiv in the land, and it was then that a infamous Hausa ruler out of Niger who was of Islamic faith invaded the lands with his massive army, in a Jihad aimed to convert the Hausa people living in the lands into Muslims. He succeeded and in time via via various military conflicts with the Tiv, he managed to take nearly the entire North eastern corner of what is today Nigeria away from the tiv.

But he wasn't happy with just that, soon after he pushed on and took most of the rest of the North, forcing the Tiv people to convert and or move out of the lands. Many converted and many simply moved out of the conquered lands further south along the Niger River banks and mountainous terrain of the Plateau. Over the years various other Hausa and Hausa-Fulani rulers invaded these remaining Tiv lands in an effort to convert them and turn their lands into the extending Hausa-Fulani lands, though the Tiv over time fought courageously to keep that from happening. Not only did they deafened against the Hausa from the North but in time they were also forced to defend against the rapidly expanding Edo Empire of Benin in which sought to acquire lands on the northern banks of the Niger.

They succeeded for about a span of 8 years before the Tiv accepted the assistence of the Hausa and together they managed to push the Edo back across the Niger River. In accepting the help of the Hausa, the Tiv community were opened up to greater levels of persuasion from the Hausa to convert to Islam and many more did in little time after the victory.
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by janedoe(f): 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2008
@KB1, awesome research,thanks!
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by ono(m): 10:24am On Jul 04, 2009
KB1:

Did you Tiv folks know that your people were the original holders and rulers of the northern lands of Nigeria in which are most commonly refered to as the lands of the Hausa today? It was about 1200 years ago that the Hausa came pouring into the the rich fertile lands from the Northern Sahel in what is today Chad, Niger and Darfur Sudan, with their Herds of cattle and goats in that their traditional herding lands had become over crowded and exhausted. Upon arriving in your lands, the migrants, were at first very friendly and the Tiv allowed them to settle in the lands and feed their animals, then after about 80 years in the lands the Hausa numbers had skyrocketed to become more than that of the Tiv in the land, and it was then that a infamous Hausa ruler out of Niger who was of Islamic faith invaded the lands with his massive army, in a Jihad aimed to convert the Hausa people living in the lands into Muslims. He succeeded and in time via via various military conflicts with the Tiv, he managed to take nearly the entire North eastern corner of what is today Nigeria away from the tiv.

But he wasn't happy with just that, soon after he pushed on and took most of the rest of the North, forcing the Tiv people to convert and or move out of the lands. Many converted and many simply moved out of the conquered lands further south along the Niger River banks and mountainous terrain of the Plateau. Over the years various other Hausa and Hausa-Fulani rulers invaded these remaining Tiv lands in an effort to convert them and turn their lands into the extending Hausa-Fulani lands, though the Tiv over time fought courageously to keep that from happening. Not only did they deafened against the Hausa from the North but in time they were also forced to defend against the rapidly expanding Edo Empire of Benin in which sought to acquire lands on the northern banks of the Niger.

They succeeded for about a span of 8 years before the Tiv accepted the assistence of the Hausa and together they managed to push the Edo back across the Niger River. In accepting the help of the Hausa, the Tiv community were opened up to greater levels of persuasion from the Hausa to convert to Islam and many more did in little time after the victory.

Another interesting piece.
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by logi: 7:42pm On Apr 01, 2010
@KB1
Your references pls. Do you know anything about the Gbe people in Tiv folk tales?
Re: Tiv, Wives Of Tiv(non Tiv Married To Tiv People), Friends of Tiv This Way Please by Orton10(m): 10:22am On Dec 31, 2010
Nice work @ Blackcat,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does " Bitter Cola " Ward Off Evil Attack/poisoning? How True Is This? / That Game ''AYO''! / Are People From Onicha-ugbo Igbo Descent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.