Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State (33332 Views)

Protest In India Over The Killing Of Shiites By Nigerian Army In Zaria(photos) / Protest In London Over The Killing Of Shiites By Nigerian Army In Zaria (Photos) / 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 11, 2012
ocelot2006: this story is nothing but total hogwash. Then again, the journalist is Afau Hirsch, a Ghanian who obviously has a grudge with Nigeria and a source from the Malian military, a military known for cowardice and total lack of professionalism.

People, this is the Nigerian military we're talking about. A military with a very long and proud history dating since pre-WW1. The same military that defeated the Germans in Cameroun and Eastern Africa (WW1), operated alongside the elite Chindit force and destroyed the Imperial Japanese army in the Jungles of Burma during WW2 (the Japanese were so scared of us cos we always took off the heads of our victims and delivered them to shocked British Army officers), defeated the Biafrans during our sad civil war, and partook in several peacekeeping Ops from Lebanon to Kosovo, Chad to Liberia. Ill equipped in the 90s, the same Nigerian military took on the NPLF in Liberia and RUF in Sierre Leone and soundly defeated them. The same tactics used by the late Nigerian Army General Khobe to recapture Freetown is still studied at US military academy, West-Point. Even the Nigerian military contingent to Somalia were feared by Somalian warlords and deeply respected, particularly by the Irish.

Now fast forward to post-democracy periods. The military as a whole were fully reformed. Apart from our military training facilities, officers are equally trained in some of the best training schools in the USA, UK, Isreal, Pakistan, China, France, and India. Personnel from foreign units like the US Special Forces, British Army and Royal Marine Commandos, ex-members from Isreali Sayeret units, etc. Our military schools are not only upgraded but have introduced additional courses like desert warfare, counter-insurgency (COIN), military Ops in urban terrain (MOUT), counter-terror Ops to their curriculum. With respect to our platforms, ALL our Scimitar and Scorpion Light Battle Tanks and recce vehicles, our Vickers MK-3 Main Battle Tanks, Panhard Armoured Vehicles, Styer APCs, Roland SAM system, and other platforms have been refurbished by the styer plant at Bauchi. All these exclude newly acquired vehicles like the Otokar Cobra MRAPs from Turkey, Uturus from Brazil, and the new Nigerian made Iguru APC. The news gets way better in the Navy were old platforms like our flagship NNS Aradu', our Landing Ships, Fast Attack vessels, and other older corvets have been fully refurbished by our indigenous ship yards, and new Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), patrol boats, supply ships, patrol boats, Augusta 109 helicopters, Fennec, Bell Jet Ranger, and Puma Utility helicopters, and our new Nigerian-made gunboat. As for the airforce, well you have the fully refurbished L-39 light attack aircrafts, recently upgraded Alphajet attack jets, our C-130 and G-333 transport planes refurbished and upgraded in both UK and France, newly acquired Mi-35V and P attack helos, Mi-34 hermit training helos, Augusta 109A power utility helos, new ATR-48 maritime patrol aircrafts, refurbished PUMA helicopters, F-7NI interceptors, and UAVs. We are the only west African nation that produces it's military equipment locally from firearms, rpgs, bulletproof vests to UAVs, APCs, and gunboats.

In summary, we have a lean but professional armed force backed up with way better firepower than any military in West Africa. Yet it's the same military that's being rubbished by a stewpid Ghanian journalist who probably got her ass dumped by her Nigerian boyfriend.

My brother thanks. This is what I call an informed contribution. Nigeria possesses some of the best-trained military officers in Africa, and generally speaking, a well-drilled, modern fighting force, with exceptional combat forces, dreaded throughout the continent and beyond.

Someone said something about a Ghanaian friend who said something... I really think Ghanaians should respect themselves and keep quiet when it comes to anything military in Africa. Their officers are known continent-wide for their squeamishness and cowardice, and are a running joke in African military circles.

Securing Africa -Nigerian Trooops

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/05/ecomilal-ahram.jpg?w=640[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2010/08/sq5liq.jpg[/img]

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 11, 2012
ROSSIKE:

My brother thanks. This is what I call an informed contribution. Nigeria possesses some of the best-trained military officers in Africa, and generally speaking, a well-drilled, modern fighting force, with exceptional combat forces, dreaded throughout the continent and beyond.

Someone said something about a Ghanaian friend who said something... I really think Ghanaians should keep quiet and stay quiet when it comes to anything military in Africa. Their officers are known continent-wide for their squeamishness and cowardice, and are a running joke in African military circles.

I am still laughing! If everything is deteriorating in Nigeria, what gives you the impression that the military is excluded? Africa wise, Nigerian military is not doing badly but in global comparison terms, it's better put: Nigeria has no military. There is even no major home grown insurgency we have solved without some sort of assistance. BH, UK is helping us, MEND, same thing. When there was bomb blast in Lagos (Ikeja Cantonment), Nigerian military could not diffuse bombs and had to fly in experts from US and UK. On arrival, the cantonment map was given on a platter of gold to those experts. There has been a steady decline in the quality and combat capabilities of our military.

It's not even news to the world again. In Darfur, Nigerian soldiers are object of scorn and ridicule. They perform below average even in peace keeping operations. The UN is aware, Sudanese government aware and even embarrassed one of our top men on visitation to the country. Our air space does not even have radar tracking. Many planes are flying blindly and yet we talk of capabilities? Our military can not tell if US drones are monitoring GEJ meetings or sensitive location (when there is no radar coverage to start with, how would they now track a radar evading device?)

I understand some folks are pretending to be more patriotic than patriotism and want to argue against the obvious: Nigerian military is in a shocking messy state.

3 Likes

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 11, 2012
Nigerian soldier engages a Somali sniper in a gun battle in Mogadishu

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/07/km845.jpg[/img]

Nigerian troops round up rebels in Somalia

Officers strategize
[img]http://destinationnigeria.files./2011/01/army.jpg[/img]
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 1:03am On Nov 11, 2012
[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/06/ngrn-troopsnan.jpg?w=640[/img]
Nigerian peacekeepers on pre-deployment training at the Nigerian Army Peacekeeping Centre, Jaji

NIGERIAN TROOPS RETURN FROM ASSIGNMENT TO DARFUR, SUDAN - MAY 2009.

JOPEX 2009- OPERATION OLOGUN META`- a triservice exercise which held in MARCH 2009 in the coastal areas of Ondo State.

Combat Ready
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 1:31am On Nov 11, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I am still laughing! If everything is deteriorating in Nigeria, what gives you the impression that the military is excluded? Africa wise, Nigerian military is not doing badly but in global comparison terms, it's better put: Nigeria has no military. There is even no major home grown insurgency we have solved without some sort of assistance. BH, UK is helping us, MEND, same thing. When there was bomb blast in Lagos (Ikeja Cantonment), Nigerian military could not diffuse bombs and had to fly in experts from US and UK. On arrival, the cantonment map was given on a platter of gold to those experts. There has been a steady decline in the quality and combat capabilities of our military.

It's not even news to the world again. In Darfur, Nigerian soldiers are object of scorn and ridicule. They perform below average even in peace keeping operations. The UN is aware, Sudanese government aware and even embarrassed one of our top men on visitation to the country. Our air space does not even have radar tracking. Many planes are flying blindly and yet we talk of capabilities? Our military can not tell if US drones are monitoring GEJ meetings or sensitive location (when there is no radar coverage to start with, how would they now track a radar evading device?)

I understand some folks are pretending to be more patriotic than patriotism and want to argue against the obvious: Nigerian military is in a shocking messy state.
OMWorld....You Bleep Up.....
You Knew Nothing About The Nigerian Army....
What Have You Done In Your Field Of Proffessionalism....
I Knw You're Among Nigerians Blaming The System Than Taking The Blame....
You Don't Really Know What Army,Navy,Airforce Go Through...
I Wrote NDA Exam Some Years Back,I Was Pick For Screening But Not In The Final List,The Screening Is Enough Prove Of What They Go Through,They Go Through Hell!!
But Still They Re United,Happy Indeed!!
Maybe U Dunno How Many Soldiers nigeria Have Lose To Popular BH,U Really Dunno Anything Bro.....
Am Afraid Your Medulla Oblongata Is Erroniously Vacant For Saying Trash Against The Army!!
My father died in the popular war against liberia rebel!!

Don't Make Me MAD...

Rest In Peace ''Brigadier MUSA...

2 Likes

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 1:37am On Nov 11, 2012
Harjibode:
OMWorld....You Bleep Up.....
You Knew Nothing About The Nigerian Army....
What Have You Done In Your Field Of Proffessionalism....
I Knw You're Among Nigerians Blaming The System Than Taking The Blame....
You Don't Really Know What Army,Navy,Airforce Go Through...
I Wrote NDA Exam Some Years Back,I Was Pick For Screening But Not In The Final List,The Screening Is Enough Prove Of What They Go Through,They Go Through Hell!!
But Still They Re United,Happy Indeed!!
Maybe U Dunno How Many Soldiers nigeria Have Lose To Popular BH,U Really Dunno Anything Bro.....
Am Afraid Your Medulla Oblongata Is Erroniously Vacant For Saying Trash Against The Army!!
My father died in the popular war against liberia rebel!!

Don't Make Me MAD...

Rest In Peace ''Brigadier MUSA...

I ignore an obvious fool and move on.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by bravehost4u(m): 8:21am On Nov 11, 2012
They is no justification to send our brothers and sisters to die in Mali. What about countries like S/A?
When the need comes, you will know that Nigeria Army is the best.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by bamosagie(m): 8:45am On Nov 11, 2012
nagoma: Nigerians will not heed an advice. Go on continue playing the ostrich. They are telling you that corruption has eaten up your fighting force and some analysis was provided. But all you can do is to shout blue murder. Why can't you produce a counter analysis to show how the ever increasing military and security budget has improved the armed forces' capability and effectiveness?
I don't know which part of the world you are from so I would forgive your ignorance. This sponsored report is a calculated attempt to drag Nigeria into north Mali, I think the guardian would do well to ask Ghana, Niger, Senegal or other ECOWAS country to lead the operation.
As a matter of fact, Nigeria don't even need to put booth on the ground. We can use that time to train our troop & get equipment. It will be a glorious opportunity for other west African country to show their military prowess.

1 Like

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Kay17: 9:35am On Nov 11, 2012
Nigerian army is still on that "wait for the artillery " attitude. The indiscipline is obvious, the army is been dragged to do mundane functions such as policing which is wrong and corrupts it. The soldiers treat civilians roughly, which is definitely not discipline.

Besides they don't show any tactical awareness, rag tag liberian kid fighters often outwitted our troops. If there is no armoured tank, they wouldn't move.

Rescue operations take 10 hours! Killing of civilians in crisis areas in disasterous and incompetent.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 11, 2012
Kay 17: Nigerian army is still on that "wait for the artillery " attitude. The indiscipline is obvious, the army is been dragged to do mundane functions such as policing which is wrong and corrupts it. The soldiers treat civilians roughly, which is definitely not discipline.

Besides they don't show any tactical awareness, rag tag liberian kid fighters often outwitted our troops. If there is no armoured tank, they wouldn't move.

Rescue operations take 10 hours! Killing of civilians in crisis areas in disasterous and incompetent.

Do you have a military background? On what basis are you making these claims? Why should we accept what you're saying? Who are you? If Nigerian troops are as bad as you say why is it Nigerian troops that everyone calls for when there is crisis in Africa? Why not South Africa? Egypt? Morocco? These are armies that are all said to be ''better than Nigeria'', yet everyone in military circles knows the combat readiness of the troops of those nations is highly suspect, hence the reticence to call on them in times of crisis. Again, it is Nigerian troops that are called upon to save the day. How do you explain that?

Peace reigns in Sudan and South Sudan today largely due to the efforts of the AU mission led by Nigerian generals.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by hercules07: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2012
Rossike, our army and armed forces only understand the discipline of Ogas, they are not well equipped nor well trained, they are brave no doubt but bravery is not enough.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2012
hercules07: Rossike, our army and armed forces only understand the discipline of Ogas, they are not well equipped nor well trained, they are brave no doubt but bravery is not enough.

Do you have a military background? If not, you are neither qualified to comment on their specific level of training, nor on their equipment inventory. Where's your research? How do you know how equipped they are? What direct knowledge do you have of this, as relates to them in the theatre of combat?

You see, as civilians, it's so easy for us to come online and be typing blah blah blah. But what I know is that no warlord or rebel in Africa relishes the thought of a Nigerian army battalion headed in his direction.

You can't say the same for say a convoy of Ghanaian or South African troops. undecided
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Kay17: 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
@rossike

Let's discuss the Nigerian army's most sophisticated operations. Seaborne operation at Onitsha bridge in the Civil War and Adekunle's raids in Niger Delta. What else? Besides in peacekeeping missions, Nigerians are known to loot

The S/A has Cabinda, and the incredible coordination of operation against Luanda, though they lost but incredible.

Egypt was involved in one of the largest tank battles in history.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by hercules07: 1:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Do you have a military background? If not, you are neither qualified to comment on their specific level of training, nor on their equipment inventory. Where's your research? How do you know how equipped they are? What direct knowledge do you have of this, as relates to them in the theatre of combat?

You see, as civilians, it's so easy for us to come online and be typing blah blah blah. But what I know is that no warlord or rebel in Africa relishes the thought of a Nigerian army battalion headed in his direction.

You can't say the same for say a convoy of Ghanaian or South African troops. undecided

Served at the armored core hq bauchi so was close to those old t55 tanks and their noise hope that helps, also spoke and chatted with those who fought in Liberia and Sierra Leone, hope you remember when a whole Naija unit was pinned down by Somali civilians, it took the help of the Americans to rescue them.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by nduchucks: 1:37pm On Nov 11, 2012
hercules07:

Served at the armored core hq bauchi so was close to those old t55 tanks and their noise hope that helps, also spoke and chatted with those who fought in Liberia and Sierra Leone, hope you remember when a whole Naija unit was pinned down by Somali civilians, it took the help of the Americans to rescue them.

This post exposes the ignorance of its author's. hercules07 believes that since a Naija unit was pinned down by somalian civilians, then the whole Nigerian Army is in shambles and filled with incompetent soldiers

Let me remind hercules that, a unit of the US Marines was not only pinned down in Somalia, but had their helicopters shot down, had their soldiers killed,and dragged through Somalia streets. Should we now conclude that the US Army, marines, and Airforce is in a shocking state and is run by incompetent officers?

I remind you that Nigerian Army has been praised by several international organizations and have won several awards and praises for the exemplary performances arround the world.

This provocation by the UK, is one of their ploys to justify defense spending by the Nigerian government - the next thing you will hear is that UK companies and government is partnering with Nigeria to improve the Nigerian Army at a cost of $10billion plus 50,000 barrels of oil per month. The UK needs to be facing its fiscal problems instead of worrying about Nigerian Army.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Arsenate(m): 2:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
Prof Corruption:

I ignore an obvious fool and move on.
you are the fool, fool...and answer his darrrnn question; what have you done in your own field of professionalism? I can guess: NOTHING.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by hercules07: 2:06pm On Nov 11, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This post exposes the ignorance of its author's. hercules07 believes that since a Naija unit was pinned down by somalian civilians, then the whole Nigerian Army is in shambles and filled with incompetent soldiers

Let me remind hercules that, a unit of the US Marines was not only pinned down in Somalia, but had their helicopters shot down, had their soldiers killed,and dragged through Somalia streets. Should we now conclude that the US Army, marines, and Airforce is in a shocking state and is run by incompetent officers?

I remind you that Nigerian Army has been praised by several international organizations and have won several awards and praises for the exemplary performances arround the world.

This provocation by the UK, is one of their ploys to justify defense spending by the Nigerian government - the next thing you will hear is that UK companies and government is partnering with Nigeria to improve the Nigerian Army at a cost of $10billion plus 50,000 barrels of oil per month. The UK needs to be facing its fiscal problems instead of worrying about Nigerian Army.

I gave you an instance, the US one you cited had the US ARMY killing as many Somali rebels as possible and were hamstrung by the fact that they respect the Geneva convention (the us Air Force was not involved), the Nigeria Army is in shambles because they are ill equipped, do not train well and do not understand what it takes to be an army in the 21st century, killing unarmed civilians does not show a disciplined force.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by nduchucks: 2:11pm On Nov 11, 2012
hercules07:

I gave you an instance, the US one you cited had the US ARMY killing as many Somali rebels as possible and were hamstrung by the fact that they respect the Geneva convention (the us Air Force was not involved), the Nigeria Army is in shambles because they are ill equipped, do not train well and do not understand what it takes to be an army in the 21st century, killing unarmed civilians does not show a disciplined force.

I had to laugh at the bolded above. So the US army allowed the helicopters to b e shot down, their soldiers shot and killed then dragged through the street because the US Army was hamstrung by respect for Geneva convention? I'm pretty sure you see how ridiculous your claim is.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by hercules07: 2:18pm On Nov 11, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I had to laugh at the bolded above. So the US army allowed the helicopters to b e shot down, their soldiers shot and killed then dragged through the street because the US Army was hamstrung by respect for Geneva convention? I'm pretty sure you see how ridiculous your claim is.

Read well, I was referring to casualties, of course the US Army does not have a monopoly on ability to fight, they will make mistakes too.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by nduchucks: 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2012
hercules07:

Read well, I was referring to casualties, of course the US Army does not have a monopoly on ability to fight, they will make mistakes too.

I'm glad you understand that great Armies, including Nigeria's make mistakes and mistakes such as the one you sighted, are not enough to reach the broad and senseless conclusion of yours. The Nigerian Army is not as bad as you people are projecting. We have one of the best in Africa, whether you like it or not.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by redsun(m): 2:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
That is why even in this abysmal dawn in nigeria.The lowest of the low era,not exactly gej,but gbogbue.The military still could not come in,they have been corruptly politicize and morally disorientated.

To them a call up to the army is to destroy their contry people and make the best of it,like the politicians does.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by hercules07: 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I'm glad you understand that great Armies, including Nigeria's make mistakes and mistakes such as the one you sighted, are not enough to reach the broad and senseless conclusion of yours. The Nigerian Army is not as bad as you people are projecting. We have one of the best in Africa, whether you like it or not.

One of the best in west Africa yes, in Africa no way o, the Ethiopians and northern African armies will make mince meat of Nigeria army.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by solbil: 3:04pm On Nov 11, 2012
for those people rubbishing our millitary for "killing unarmed civiliance" ,why dont you google "my lai massacre of march 16th 1968" and tell me what the americans did in the vietnam village? 504 civiliance were massacred by the US army and the worst thing was that; it was reported to the world as a US victory against the enemy. It was later the world got to know the truth. And even at first, the were saying it was just 22 civilians that were killed.

But no, people here will see that and not say the US soldiers are indisciplined. But when the nigerian soldiers are "alleged" to do it, then they are the most indisciplined people on earth.

My doubt of this report is not based on "blind patriotism" but on facts. Fact that we can easily get when we stop being lazy and do a bit more research.

If after reading this, you still continue to raise the "they are not disciplined becos they kill civilians" then we can describe you as being lowly esteemed.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Msauza(m): 4:27pm On Nov 11, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Do you have a military background? On what basis are you making these claims? Why should we accept what you're saying? Who are you? If Nigerian troops are as bad as you say why is it Nigerian troops that everyone calls for when there is crisis in Africa? Why not South Africa? Egypt? Morocco? These are armies that are all said to be ''better than Nigeria'', yet everyone in military circles knows the combat readiness of the troops of those nations is highly suspect, hence the reticence to call on them in times of crisis. Again, it is Nigerian troops that are called upon to save the day. How do you explain that?

Peace reigns in Sudan and South Sudan today largely due to the efforts of the AU mission led by Nigerian generals.
. @ Rossike. Go and make a little research before you comment about anything that involves Military. Nigerian Army is not the only military contingent that is involved in peace keeping missions. South African troops as well as Egyptian military are also largely involved in both AU and UN peace keeping mission in Burundi, DRC and Sudan. I have a friend who is a Lieutenant in SA Army (Engineer formation) and has just arrived from MONUC which is a french abbreviation for UN mission in the DRC. In fact, ever since a new democratic dispensation in 1994, South Africa had been playing an increasingly leading role in peace keeping missions in Africa. Every year young SA soldiers line up for deployment to various parts of Africa, where they normally spend six months, paid in US dollars, before they can be properly relieved by another SA contingent. So, my uninformed
dear friend, go to google and ask it if SA military is as well involved in peace keeping missions. Please do not feel any ashamed afterwards to come back and thank me properly for that little information.

1 Like

Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Phillone: 4:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
Just curious...does the nigerian army have da air'force and navy?
Cos i tend to realise they rely more on land soldiers
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Msauza(m): 5:07pm On Nov 11, 2012
bravehost4u: They is no justification to send our brothers and sisters to die in Mali. What about countries like S/A?
When the need comes, you will know that Nigeria Army is the best.
. Go and make a bit of research and you will understand that SA also contributes immensely in peace keeping missions in African countries excluding ECOWAS countries, where Nigerian military would play a primary role in stabilising peace in that region. Currently SA has been tasked and mandated to stabilise peace in East African countries. Ask your fellow Nigerian soldiers about who is currently keeping peace in the DRC, Burundi and Sudan.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by Msauza(m): 6:48pm On Nov 11, 2012
ocelot2006: this story is nothing but total hogwash. Then again, the journalist is Afau Hirsch, a Ghanian who obviously has a grudge with Nigeria and a source from the Malian military, a military known for cowardice and total lack of professionalism.

People, this is the Nigerian military we're talking about. A military with a very long and proud history dating since pre-WW1. The same military that defeated the Germans in Cameroun and Eastern Africa (WW1), operated alongside the elite Chindit force and destroyed the Imperial Japanese army in the Jungles of Burma during WW2 (the Japanese were so scared of us cos we always took off the heads of our victims and delivered them to shocked British Army officers), defeated the Biafrans during our sad civil war, and partook in several peacekeeping Ops from Lebanon to Kosovo, Chad to Liberia. Ill equipped in the 90s, the same Nigerian military took on the NPLF in Liberia and RUF in Sierre Leone and soundly defeated them. The same tactics used by the late Nigerian Army General Khobe to recapture Freetown is still studied at US military academy, West-Point. Even the Nigerian military contingent to Somalia were feared by Somalian warlords and deeply respected, particularly by the Irish.

Now fast forward to post-democracy periods. The military as a whole were fully reformed. Apart from our military training facilities, officers are equally trained in some of the best training schools in the USA, UK, Isreal, Pakistan, China, France, and India. Personnel from foreign units like the US Special Forces, British Army and Royal Marine Commandos, ex-members from Isreali Sayeret units, etc. Our military schools are not only upgraded but have introduced additional courses like desert warfare, counter-insurgency (COIN), military Ops in urban terrain (MOUT), counter-terror Ops to their curriculum. With respect to our platforms, ALL our Scimitar and Scorpion Light Battle Tanks and recce vehicles, our Vickers MK-3 Main Battle Tanks, Panhard Armoured Vehicles, Styer APCs, Roland SAM system, and other platforms have been refurbished by the styer plant at Bauchi. All these exclude newly acquired vehicles like the Otokar Cobra MRAPs from Turkey, Uturus from Brazil, and the new Nigerian made Iguru APC. The news gets way better in the Navy were old platforms like our flagship NNS Aradu', our Landing Ships, Fast Attack vessels, and other older corvets have been fully refurbished by our indigenous ship yards, and new Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), patrol boats, supply ships, patrol boats, Augusta 109 helicopters, Fennec, Bell Jet Ranger, and Puma Utility helicopters, and our new Nigerian-made gunboat. As for the airforce, well you have the fully refurbished L-39 light attack aircrafts, recently upgraded Alphajet attack jets, our C-130 and G-333 transport planes refurbished and upgraded in both UK and France, newly acquired Mi-35V and P attack helos, Mi-34 hermit training helos, Augusta 109A power utility helos, new ATR-48 maritime patrol aircrafts, refurbished PUMA helicopters, F-7NI interceptors, and UAVs. We are the only west African nation that produces it's military equipment locally from firearms, rpgs, bulletproof vests to UAVs, APCs, and gunboats.

In summary, we have a lean but professional armed force backed up with way better firepower than any military in West Africa. Yet it's the same military that's being rubbished by a stewpid Ghanian journalist who probably got her ass dumped by her Nigerian boyfriend.
. Stop playing all these blame games and jealousy theories. Perhaps, this is a warning that you must wake up and smell the coffee. I remember when such international reports first hit the shelves about SA being the newly discovered country with the highest HIV/AIDS infections in the world, ordinary South Africans including authorities could not believe it and dismissed such reports as an agenda by imperial media to discredit South Africa. Many of them started pointing their fingers on Uganda, Botswana, blah blah, suggesting that such reports should have focused on such under developed countries instead. They remained obstinate, until soon HIV started visiting their homes, leaving many orphans and widows. That was when they started to smell the coffee and begin to take precautionary measures by protecting themselves from this vicious virus. So, please do not take these reports lightly and let me remind you that preparations are made well in advance, while there is still a plenty of time left. Beware of elements of surprise.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by ocelot2006(m): 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2012
Kay 17: @rossike

Let's discuss the Nigerian army's most sophisticated operations. Seaborne operation at Onitsha bridge in the Civil War and Adekunle's raids in Niger Delta. What else? Besides in peacekeeping missions, Nigerians are known to loot

The S/A has Cabinda, and the incredible coordination of operation against Luanda, though they lost but incredible.

Egypt was involved in one of the largest tank battles in history.

So what will you call our conventional military Ops against the NPLF in Liberia, the RUF in Sierre Leone? Why don't you read up on the Navy's successful interdiction and blockade Ops, the NAF's combat sorties (particularly over the skies of Freetown were NAF Alphajet pilots aka dudu boys' Combat Air Support sorties saved the day)? Still not enough? Read up the amphibious Ops against the Camerounians in Bakassi in the 90s. If you still want more info, there's the amphibious+counter terror Ops against ND militants by the tri-service JTF+NPF Mopol squadrons and Anti-Terror Squads+DSS/SSS intelligence cells. Then there's the successful police action in the SE (particularly in Aba) against kidnappers by the Army's 82nd Division components+Police ATS, Mopol squadrons, and DSS/SSS. And then there's the current Counter-insurgency+Counter-terror in Jos by the STF and the restive NE by JSTF (including army special forces)+ police units and the intelligence services. You have a lot of reading to do before you come out here and blurt out rubbish on this thread.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by ocelot2006(m): 7:59pm On Nov 11, 2012
hercules07:

One of the best in west Africa yes, in Africa no way o, the Ethiopians and northern African armies will make mince meat of Nigeria army.

Seriously, did you just mention the Ethiopians? The same Ethopians that got their collective asses handed to them by Al-Shabaab in Somalia? The very same group that are currently being trashed by the Ugandans, Kenyans, and even little Burundi?! Haba.

As for North Africa, pls don't even mention Libya, cos the old Libyan army got its bum whooped by the Chadians during the disastrous Pick-up War in the 80s. As for Algeria, yes they own a quite sophisticated and experienced army. 'don't really know about the Moroccans and Tunisians. The Egyptians also own a strong armed force that were quite successful against the Isrealis during the Yom Kippur war.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by ocelot2006(m): 8:10pm On Nov 11, 2012
Msauza: . Stop playing all these blame games and jealousy theories. Perhaps, this is a warning that you must wake up and smell the coffee. I remember when such international reports first hit the shelves about SA being the newly discovered country with the highest HIV/AIDS infections in the world, ordinary South Africans including authorities could not believe it and dismissed such reports as an agenda by imperial media to discredit South Africa. Many of them started pointing their fingers on Uganda, Botswana, blah blah, suggesting that such reports should have focused on such under developed countries instead. They remained obstinate, until soon HIV started visiting their homes, leaving many orphans and widows. That was when they started to smell the coffee and begin to take precautionary measures by protecting themselves from this vicious virus. So, please do not take these reports lightly and let me remind you that preparations are made well in advance, while there is still a plenty of time left. Beware of elements of surprise.

Dude, this is about some bloody blame game or so. I'll be the first to admit that a lot still needs to be done in our armed forces. We need more sophisticated weapon platforms and additional training will be most welcomed. But that said, the current Nigerian Armed Force is TOTALLY different from what we had in the past. We currently have a military that's not only mean and battle-hardened, with experiences drawn from conventional battlefields and uncoventional Ops (COIN, CT, MOUT), but also backed with way better firepower.

So I take deep offense when some Ghanian slowpoke with little info about us writes garbage about our military with the sole aim of discrediting the young men and women of our armed forces. Besides this Miss Afau Hirsch is a well known Nigerian hater, probably due to inferiority complex.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by ocelot2006(m): 8:17pm On Nov 11, 2012
Phillone: Just curious...does the nigerian army have da air'force and navy?

Nope, we just use Witch Doctors.

Read up on the Nigerian Airforce and Nigerian Navy. Wiki and google are your friends.
Re: UK Guardian - Nigerian Army's In A Shocking State by solbil: 8:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
Phillone: Just curious...does the nigerian army have da air'force and navy?
we have an air force and navy. You can google it yourself. The navy just comissioned a war ship it built itself. The reason you hear more about the army is that, most of the missions we engage in are land based. Of our military our amy is the largest followed ny the navy and airforce in that order. We, like every other country build our military based on the kind of threats we have. The kind of threats we have are more land and water based. But the airforce is no push over. They made their UAVs. The amebo I and II they also have their f-7s. 15 of them. Gogle the NAF for more info.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Atiku Abubakar Visits Buhari In London / Throwback Picture Of OPC Leader, Gani Adams Back In The Days / Maryam Abacha: I Didn’t Make Money As Nigeria’s First Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.