Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,215 members, 7,839,136 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

10Ebisco's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 10Ebisco's Profile / 10Ebisco's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 18 pages)

Politics / Join Us In Forcing Govt To Fulfil Its Responsibilities Than Being Counter Force by 10Ebisco: 10:50am On Dec 31, 2018
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has enjoined the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to join forces with the union in forcing the federal government to fulfil its responsibilities in the education sector rather than being deployed as a counter-force against the union.

The union, while reacting to a statement credited to one Suleiman Sarki, who spoke on behalf of C Zone of NANS that the ASUU was selfish, said that though the students have right to their opinion but they should always get their facts right.

ASUU, in a statement made available to DAILY POST on Monday by Dr. Ade Adejumo, its Ibadan Zone Coordinator, described the statement credited to Sarki as “rather unfortunate” riddled with lies and cheap propaganda aimed at blackmailing the union.

Adejumo, in the statement entitled Re: ASUU is selfish”, said “Our attention has been drawn to a statement credited to one Suleiman Sarki of Zone C, NANS.

“In the said statement, ASUU is painted as selfish, fighting only for the benefits of its members. This is rather unfortunate. The statement is riddled with lies and cheap propaganda aimed at blackmailing our union.

“To start with, in all our statements, there was no nowhere that ASUU vowed not to return to the negotiation table with the government. Indeed, it is part of our union’s practice not to turn down invitation from government during a crisis like the current one. It is saddening that an official of the students’ body will lend himself to usage for such cheap propaganda.

“What ASUU keeps saying, up to this point, is that no agreement has been reached with the government in any of the issues in contention. The students will do well to find out the present status of our discussions with the government and feed their members with correct information.

“There is also the insinuation that what ASUU tells the public is different from what they present at the negotiations table. ASUU is too careful to be so cheaply blackmailed.

“It is in the realization of such possibility that ASUU insists on the inclusion of a neutral third party as witness at such negotiations. The ongoing struggle is not an exception. The students might want to find out from NLC what transpired at the negotiations.

“The students have the right to stage public protests over any national issue, but they should get their facts right. They should join forces with a patriotic union like ASUU in forcing government to the path of responsibility rather than being deployed as a counter force to our union. This is the only path to a quick resolution of the impasse.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/31/join-us-forcing-govt-fulfil-responsibilities-counter-force-ASUU-tells-nans/

Education / EPL: Cesc Fabregas Takes Final Decision On Future With Chelsea by 10Ebisco: 6:55am On Dec 31, 2018
Chelsea midfielder, Cesc Fabregas has finally decided to quit Stamford Bridge once his current deal at the club expires at the end of the season.

According to Spanish outlet, Marca, Fabregas is already in talks with Chelsea to leave the West London club as a free agent this coming summer.

The Spaniard has admitted recently that he is keen to stay at Chelsea but the Blues have not made him an offer.

The 31-year-old has drawn interest from Monanco and AC Milan in the past few weeks.

Meanwhile, Chelsea manager, Maurizio Sarri has warned the club that they will find it difficult to replace Fabregas, should he eventually leave the club.

Sarri said: “I want him to stay, I don’t know the final decision of Cesc and the club of course.

“But for me it’s very important and if Cesc will go I think that we need to buy another player, and it’s not easy because, technically, Cesc is a very important player.

“And I think that in the market it’s very difficult to find a player with his characteristic”.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/31/epl-cesc-fabregas-takes-final-decision-future-chelsea/

Politics / 2019 Presidency: Atiku Loyalists Blast Miyetti Allah For Endorsing Buhari by 10Ebisco: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
A campaign group of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, Atiku Mandate Group, has reacted to the endorsement of President Muhammadu Buhari by Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, MACBAN.

MACBAN had few days ago declared support for Buhari’s re-election bid.

Reacting, spokesperson of the group, Sunny Areh said the endorsement of Buhari was that of failure.

In a statement, the group said the endorsement was just like that of Boko Haram, adding that the action was due to the protection they enjoy under the Buhari government.

He stated that the Atiku camp was not surprised of the endorsement because of the “covert relationship” between Buhari and MACBAN.

The statement reads: “The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria is certainly one of the most destabilising groups that have wreaked havoc on Nigerians.

“This looks more like an endorsement by Boko Haram… it’s an endorsement of failure to protect lives and properties and a confirmation that there has been a covert and existing relationship between Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association and its life patron, the President.

“It is strange but we are not surprised because being life patron of Miyetti Allah, he has guaranteed the group the forceful land seizures from citizens across the country for their cattle colonies. The endorsement is a reciprocity of being the protector-in-chief of its atrocities.

“It is laughable that an association that acknowledges mass murders by its members is pledging to collaborate with security agencies to fish out bad eggs within its fold, when it has always been known that the group enjoys state protection.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/30/2019-presidency-atiku-loyalists-blast-miyetti-allah-endorsing-buhari/

Politics / Shehu Shagari: Why Nigeria Will Miss Ex-president – Gov Okowa by 10Ebisco: 4:13pm On Dec 29, 2018
Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State said on Saturday that Nigeria would greatly miss the late former President Shehu Shagari for his regular counsels on national issues and mediations for peaceful coexistence.

Okowa made this known in a condolence message issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Charles Aniagwu in Asaba.

He said, “Shagari, embarked on the distribution of seed and fertiliser to farmers to increase nationwide productivity in farming.
“He was a legendary public servant, who dedicated his life to the service of our nation in several capacities – as minister, legislator, and finally as president.

“Shagari’s unwavering commitment to the unity of Nigeria had been a major encouragement to many governments.

“He made personal sacrifices to help lay the foundation for sustainable democracy in Nigeria before he was overthrown in 1983.
“As a country, we will miss his wise counsel on national issues and peaceful co-existence especially now that the nation is entering an election year,” Okowa said.

He added that the late Shagari worked assiduously to improve the livelihood of many poor and underprivileged people through the Green Revolution programme, which he initiated.

“Our condolences to Nigerians, the Government and people of Sokoto State and Shagari’s family over the demise of the former president.
“We commiserate with the entire Shagari village, the Sokoto Caliphate, and the Shagari family, over the loss of the ex President.

“On behalf of my family, the government and people of Delta State, I join the entire nation and the people of Sokoto State to mourn the passing of former President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, who was President in the Second Republic,” he said.

The Governor prayed the almighty God to receive the soul of the deceased and grant his family the fortitude to bear the loss.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/29/shehu-shagari-nigeria-will-miss-ex-president-gov-okowa/

Politics / Shagari: Nigeria Has Lost Great Leader, Democrat — Babatope by 10Ebisco: 10:14am On Dec 29, 2018
A former Minister of Transport, Chief Ebenezer Babatope, has described the death of former president, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, as a great loss to the nation.

Shagari, who was president between 1979 and 1983, passed away at the National Hospital, Abuja earlier on Friday, at 93.

Reacting to his death, Babatope told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on telephone that the country has just lost a tolerant and peace-loving leader in Shagari.

He said when the deceased was president in the second republic under the platform of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN), he tolerated scathing criticisms from the opposition and those who did not believe in his government.

Babatope said when he was the spokesman of the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) , the main opposition party at that time, he could not remember anytime Shagari clamped down on any politician with opposing views.
“Shagari was nice and gentleman. He was a great leader and democrat, a model of politics without bitterness.

“I belonged to the UPN and he was president under the platform of the NPN, but I can tell you that Shagari did not have any problem with anybody because of his political views.

“There was no clampdown on anybody under his government and the kind of politically-motivated killings we have nowadays were almost absent.
“Even, Pa Awolowo, an opposition leader, highly regarded him because he was a peace loving leader who abhored violence. I can tell you that because I was the spokesman of UPN.

“The nation has lost a quintessential leader, a true nationalist and statesman; he will be remembered for all the good things his name represents”, he said.

Babatope urged politicians to emulate the deceased Nigerian leader by tolerating people of different political views or affiliations.
He said that the 2019 elections would be totally devoid of problems if the political class and ordinary Nigerians imbibe Shagari’s values of politics without bitterness and respect for rights.

Babatope prayed for the peaceful repose of his soul and asked God to grant those he left behind the fortitude to bear the loss.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/29/shagari-nigeria-lost-great-leader-democrat-babatope/

Politics / 2019: What I’ll Do To End Zamfara Killings Within 30 Days – Atiku [VIDEO] by 10Ebisco: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2018
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has unveiled his plan to halt the escalating banditry in Zamfara state.

According to him, he will send a combined detachment of 30,000 military and police personnel to flush out the bandits who have worsened the security situation in the state, within the first 30 days of his swearing-in as President in 2019.

Atiku, who made this promise on Friday in a video he posted on Twitter, slammed President Muhammadu Buhari for deploying huge number of security operatives to Osun and Ekiti States to grab power for his political party but unable to do same to secure the lives and property of Zamfarans.

He said: “I am following all you (Zamfarans) have been going through in the hands of bandits who steal, kill and destroy your properties.

“My heart bleeds for you and I urge you all to accept my prayer that the Almighty Allah will bring an end to your sufferings.

“I am contesting for the office of the president of Nigeria. I am assuring you that if you, the good people of Zamfara, elect me as President on February 16, 2019 within a month of my swearing-in, I will send a combined force of 30,000 soldiers and policemen to stay in Zamfara and make sure that the bandits you see today, you will see no more.

“When election took place in Ekiti and Osun states, President Buhari sent 30,000 policemen there. I want to assure you that it is more important for me to secure your lives and properties than for me to secure political power for my party.”

See video below: https://twitter.com/atiku/status/1078553052829896704

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/28/2019-ill-end-zamfara-killings-within-30-days-atiku-video/

Politics / Buahari’s Campaign: APC Commends Akwa Ibom Government For Releasing Stadium by 10Ebisco: 8:21am On Dec 27, 2018
The All Progressives Congress, APC, in Akwa Ibom State has commended the State Government for finally releasing the state owned Godswill International Stadium for the official flag off of President Muhammadu Buhari’s South South Campaign.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Dr. Ita Enang, who disclosed this in a press conference on Wednesday to herald the coming of the president to the state, assured that the stadium would still remain in a good condition even after its use on Friday.

According to him, “It is important to emphasize here that with appreciation to Akwa Ibom State Government, we are taking over the physical possession and occupancy of Godswill Obot Akpabio International Stadium and the advance team of Mr President has also arrived the state in readiness and preparation for APC flag off on Friday.

“I will also like to emphasize that the International Stadium is for AkwaIbom people and neither for the APC, PDP nor APGA. Nobody, irrespective of party lines would be interested in destroying anything in the Stadium, it is the greatest of the things apart from the airport that has stood AkwaIbom out in the International Community.

“We are also conscious that the Stadium is FIFA rated and we will ensure that nothing happens to it. We are working with the stadium management team and the AkwaIbom state management team in respect of that.

“We were contemplating on two options about the safety of the stadium, we put our heads together and arrived at the best option. Which will make the stadium to still remain in a good condition after the rally.”

On his own, the state Chairman of APC, Mr. Ini Okopido expressed appreciation over the approval of the stadium by the state government, noting that the first letter he sent requesting for the venue was turned downed by the state government citing some reasons.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/27/buaharis-campaign-apc-commends-akwa-ibom-government-releasing-stadium/

4 Likes

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL: What Paul Pogba Said After Manchester United’s 3-1 Win Over Huddersfield To by 10Ebisco: 10:09pm On Dec 26, 2018
Manchester United midfielder, Paul Pogba, has spoken on his side’s 3-1 victory over Huddersfield Town on Wednesday in the Premier League fixture.

Two goals from Pogba and a goal from Nemanja Matic ensured Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men defeated Huddersfield at Old Trafford.

However, Mathias Jorgensen did score for the visitors.

Pogba took to his Twitter page after the match to express his happiness.

“So happy for 3 points and two goals at home with our supporters and family there. Have great and blessed holidays everyone, loads of love @ManUtd,” Pogba tweeted.

Man United will now tackle Bournemouth on Sunday in their next Premier League fixture.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/26/epl-paul-pogba-said-manchester-uniteds-3-1-win-huddersfield-town/

Politics / What Obasanjo Did To Atiku – Dele Momodu by 10Ebisco: 8:40am On Dec 26, 2018
A veteran journalist, Dele Momodu has claimed that former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, fell out because of Obasanjo’s planned third-term bid.

Momodu, who is the Publisher of Ovation Magazine, also said that Obasanjo had to disarm Atiku by sacking most of his ‘vibrant’ aides.

Mododu, a former presidential aspirant, described Atiku as one of the most power Vice President ever in Nigeria.

He tweeted, “Atiku was one of the most powerful VPs ever in Nigeria, I was not too young at the time, they fell out over re-election.

“His team in Aso Rock was young and remarkably vibrant and OBJ had to sack some of them on his behalf but ATIKU remained close to them from outside.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/26/obasanjo-atiku-dele-momodu/

Politics / Cabal: Buhari Finally Reacts To Aisha’s Allegation That Two Men Controlling His by 10Ebisco: 5:04pm On Dec 25, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to his wife, Aisha’s allegation that his government has been hijacked by two or three powerful people.

DAILY POST had reported that Aisha had claimed that a cabal was controlling her husband’s government.

She also stirred reactions from all corners after she disclosed that two powerful people were frustrating her husband’s efforts to develop the country.

Mrs Buhari, who had made the claim at a conference organized by Project 4+4, however, failed to mention the names of the said powerful persons.

But reacting to the allegation, President Muhammadu Buhari said that was her business, adding that “it shows that he is a real democrat.”

Buhari also challenged those alleging that cabal have taken over his government to come out and say those things they feel was staged managed by the cabal and what the cabal forced him to do.

Speaking in an interview with the Voice of America, Hausa, when asked, “Have you heard of the word cabal? People have been alleging that there are some few people in charge of this administration, that you are not the one in charge. Even your wife said something about this recently, what do you have to say about this?” said:

Buhari responded “That’s her business.This shows I am a real democrat. What they are saying is different from what is happening. They should come out and say those things they feel was staged managed by the cabal. What the cabal force to me to do. They should mention just one thing.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/25/cabal-buhari-finally-reacts-aishas-allegation-two-men-controlling-govt/

Politics / What Osinbajo Did In Streets Of Abuja On Christmas Eve by 10Ebisco: 6:47am On Dec 25, 2018
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo yesterday thrilled some residents of Abuja to `Next Level’, a song composed from the All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign slogan for the 2019 general elections.

The vice president addressed a crowd of enthusiastic residents, then paid a visit to the family of Abdulwaheed Yusuf in Garki Area 1, before visiting the family of Col. Ahmed Zubair (rtd) in Wuse Zone 7.

Addressing cheering residents of Wuse Zone 7, Osinbajo bellowed “APC!’’, and the crowd responded “Next Level!’’ as many times as the vice president mentioned Next level.

The vice president, who spoke partly in Pidgin English, told the residents that the message he had for them from President Muhammadu Buhari was: “No shaking, na Next level we dey go; we don finish with the kind leaders wey dey chop money’’.

He said people who looted Nigeria’s money would not be allowed to come back.

“Dey no go come back again; Baba Buhari na mai Gaskiya; he will not steal your money; he will use the money for the benefit of the people.

“From now on, we are making sure that people have money to do their trading and young people have jobs; the only way to do is only if we do not allow these people who want to steal to come back.

“They will not come back; we are going forward; we are going to the Next level; by the Grace of God, four more years.

“There is one song that we sing now on radio; we are going higher, higher, Next level; we are going higher, higher, we are going higher, higher, higher Next level,’’ he sang.

The excited residents sang in unison with the Vice President and later switched to repeatedly singing “Four plus four, Next level; four plus four, Next level’’.

Earlier in Garki Area 1, Osinbajo told the residents that Buhari would not allow any form of looting as he would deploy Nigeria’s resources to improve the lives of the people.

According to him, the Buhari-led administration will use Nigeria’s money to help Nigerians.

“Traders will have more money for their trading; people who are working will have more; young people will have jobs; our women will go to market to sell; enough things to sell so that every Nigerian will prosper.

“Mr President has said that he will not allow a situation where people steal our money; that is why we are not going back to the past.

“Our money must be used for Nigerians; for all of you who are here.

“That is why we are doing MarketMoni, TraderMoni; every trader will have something to do; every young person will have a job.

“By God’s grace, everybody will prosper during Buhari’s next four years as president,’’ he said.

The crowd, comprising mostly women and youths, sang and walked with the vice president for about 200 metres in Area 1 before he departed for Wuse Zone 7boarded his motorcade and drove off.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/25/osinbajo-streets-abuja-christmas-eve/

Education / UNILORIN To Enforce Dress Code On Students, Staff by 10Ebisco: 4:20pm On Dec 24, 2018
The University of Ilorin, UNILORIN, says it has constituted a committee to look into the modalities for the enforcement of a dress code for members of staff and students of the institution.

Dr Rasheed Jimoh, the Dean of the Faculty of Communication and Information Sciences (CIS) made this known in a statement made available to newsmen in Ilorin.

Jimoh stated that the faculty would rely on contributions and commitment of members of the committee towards ensuring total compliance with the university’s dress code to guard against indecent dressing on campus.

The don said that the committee had earlier held its inaugural meeting, where members expressed commitment to achieving the objectives of the code.

According to him, various strategies have been mapped out to ensure the success of the committee’s assignment.

“The committee, however, charged all staff and students to always abide by the rules and regulations governing dressing on campus as sanctions will be applied on erring staff and students,” the don said.

According to the statement, the committee is to be chaired by Dr Abiodun Olawoyin of the Department of Telecommunications Sciences.

Other members include: Mr Mustafa Abubakar of the Directorate of Corporate Affairs as Secretary and Dr Rasaq Adisa of the Department of Mass Communication among others.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/24/unilorin-enforce-dress-code-students-staff/

1 Like 1 Share

Politics / Why Osinbajo Met Hausa Community Leader In Lagos by 10Ebisco: 6:44am On Dec 24, 2018
The Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, on Sunday took his door-to-door campaign to the Hausa community leader of Agege, Alhaji Musa Dogonkadai.

The leader, who doubles as the Chairman of the Chieftaincy Council of Arewa in Lagos State, alongside members of his council, received the vice president amidst fanfare in his palace in Agege.

The vice president who arrived at the palace at about 4 p.m., was greeted by a large crowd who chanted President Muhammadu Buhari’s name in different songs as they escorted him to the palace.

A meeting, which was held in closed-door between the vice president and the leader with his council, lasted for about 45 minutes.

Addressing newsmen, the Treasurer of Arewa Community in Agege, Alhaji Abdulkareem Abubakar, said the members felt happy that the vice president decided to pay the leader of Arewa Community a visit.

He said they would vote massively for All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2019 elections because they wanted continuity of good governance in Lagos State and Nigeria at large.

“We are very happy with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s visit to Arewa Community leaders in Agege. We are excited to see the vice president.

“We are enjoying this government. We don’t want money; what we want is peace, which we are enjoying from this government. We are enjoying peace in Agege and Lagos State and we want it to continue.

“Because we want continuity of good thing and peace, we are going to vote for APC candidates in 2019 elections. We are going to vote for Buhari, Osinbajo, Sanwo-Olu, Obasa, Ogundimu and other APC candidates.”

Among those in Vice President Osinbajo’s entourage were the Senior Special Adviser to President on Political Matters, Sen. Babafemi Ojudu and Executive Secretary for Transportation, FCT.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/24/osinbajo-met-hausa-community-leader-lagos/

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL: Manchester United’s Squad To Face Cardiff City Released [full List] by 10Ebisco: 9:31pm On Dec 22, 2018
Manchester United have released their line-up that will tackle Cardiff City in tonight Premier League clash.

According to Express UK, United’s coach, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer released a list of 21 players.

Below is the Manchester United’s squad to face Cardiff:

Goalkeepers: David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Lee Grant

Defenders: Diogo Dalot, Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones, Ashley Young, Luke Shaw

Midfielders: Marouane Fellaini, Nemanja Matic, Ander Herrera, Fred, James Garner, Paul Pogba, Andreas Pereira, Angel Gomes, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard

Forwards: Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/22/epl-manchester-uniteds-squad-face-cardiff-city-released-full-list/

Politics / 2019 Election: What May Cause Violence – Ezekwesili by 10Ebisco: 4:24pm On Dec 22, 2018
The presidential candidate, Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Oby Ezekwesili, has warned that thuggery, military intimidation and harassment of voters in the 2019 election may lead to chaos.

She spoke on Friday at a forum organised by the Presidential Summit Centre in collaboration with Forum of Presidential Candidates towards a peaceful conduct of elections.

Ezekwesili urged other presidential candidates to believe in the peace accord signed and work towards achieving it.

”You know there is a peace accord. In our own case, we signed, not because it is a ceremony but because we believe in it,” she said.

Ezekwesili also listed signing of amended electoral bill and non-interference of military personnel at the polls as conditions for violence free elections.

She therefore urged President Muhammadu Buhari to listen to the court of public opinion and address lingering electoral issues ahead of the poll.

She called on the President to sign the amended 2018 Electoral Bill into law.

According to her, President Buhari should exhibit an examplary leadership quality that will ensure the election does not end up taking the country and the people down.

She urged the National Assembly to ensure the people have those rules that would enable the country to have electoral integrity.

“We also need to have the rules of the game as far as the military structures are concerned to ensure that they are not in anyway complicit in election malpractice.

“We should therefore come together to agree on the rules of the game as far as the use of military is concerned.

”We don’t want a situation where the military will carry out a coup from the back door. None of us will accept that,” she said.

The spokesperson, Presidential Summit Centre, Princess Zara Mustapha Audu, stated that the Centre was set up to improve elections in Nigeria by educating both the aspirants and the electorate on the need for a peaceful election.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/22/2019-election-may-cause-violence-ezekwesili/

Politics / FG Tackles NLC Over Ultimatum On Minimum Wage by 10Ebisco: 11:53am On Dec 22, 2018
The Federal Government pleaded yesterday with the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) to drop its threat of industrial action at the end of the month over the proposed N30,000 national minimum wage.

Reacting to the 10-day ultimatum issued on Thursday by the labour leadership to the federal authorities to transmit the minimum wage bill to the National Assembly for consideration immediately, Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed advocated ‘continuous engagement’ between the two sides with a view to resolving their differences.

“Continuous engagement, I think, is the key. We will continue to engage them and I think they do also fully understand what the challenges are, and both parties are determined to ensure that a common ground is arrived at, which will be comfortable for all,” Mohammed told reporters after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

But the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) claimed that the delay by the federal government in forwarding the minimum wage bill to the National Assembly was a demonstration of acute insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian workers, their families and ordinary citizens.

The NLC also condemned what it described as sustained deployment of brute force by political office holders to harass, hound and victimise workers and labour leaders, vowing that such actions would no longer be acceptable to workers in the country.

The Information Minister described the NLC as “a very patriotic union”, and expressed confidence that it would do nothing capable of embarrassing the government or Nigerians.

His words: “The Nigeria Labour Congress is a very patriotic union and I am very confident that they will not do anything that will embarrass the government or do anything that is going to worsen the situation.

The National Executive Council of the NLC also met in Abuja yesterday to review the minimum wage issue, branding federal government’s handling of the matter as a demonstration of acute insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian workers, their families and ordinary citizens.

The NLC NEC also condemned alleged sustained deployment of brute force by political office holders to harass, hound and victimize workers and labour leaders.

It vowed that such harassments would no longer be tolerated.

It spoke of plan to embark on a national sensitization of workers from January 8, 2019, especially against state governors who have formed the habit of not paying workers’ salaries.

In a communique signed by NLC President Wabba and the General Secretary, Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, the congress said: “The continued delay by the Federal Government to transmit the Bill of the new national minimum wage to the National Assembly for enactment into law is unacceptable.

“This leisurely conduct of serious state affairs is even after the National Assembly had passed a resolution urging the President and the executive branch of government to transmit the new national minimum wage amendment bill to it for consideration and passage into law.

“The NEC expressed total dissatisfaction with the consequential delay and unacceptable lethargy in the process of regularising and implementing the new national minimum wage of N30,000. “The calculated inaction of the Federal Government is a demonstration of acute insensitivity to the plight of Nigerian workers, their families and ordinary citizens”

It took strong exception to alleged unrelenting attitude of the Ogun State Government to frustrate efforts to peacefully reinstate the NLC chairman in Ogun State, Comrade Akeem Ambali, who was sacked by the state government in the middle of a 2016 strike action to protest injustice against Ogun State workers.

On its planned nationwide mobilization of workers on the delay by the Federal Government in transmitting, enacting and implementing the new national minimum wage of N30,000,it said the protests should “hold in all State capitals and the Federal Capital Territory Abuja on 8th January, 2019. The NEC mandates all industrial unions and state councils to fully mobilise workers and coordinate with other labour unions for this mother-of-all protest.”

It asked the Federal Government to honour its 2017 Memorandum of Action (MoA) Agreement with ASUU in order to restore sanity and raise the quality of the products of our public universities.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/22/fg-tackles-nlc-ultimatum-minimum-wage/

Politics / Jubril Of Sudan: Nnamdi Kanu To Release ‘mind Blowing Evidence’ That Man In Aso by 10Ebisco: 1:54pm On Dec 21, 2018
The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu will tomorrow, Saturday, release “more mind blowing evidence” against President Muhammadu Buhari.

IPOB said its leader will release evidence to prove its claim that the current President was Jubril from Sudan.

A statement signed by IPOB’s spokesperson, Emma Powerful, also disclosed media channels Nigerians and followers of the group can listen.

The full text of IPOB’s statement reads thus:

The Supreme Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) worldwide, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, will be on live broadcast on Radio Biafra, broadcasting, from The State of Israel, on Saturday 22nd December , 2018 to reveal more mind-blowing evidence that will finally nail the imposter called Jubril in Aso Rock and many more issues affecting the contraption called Nigeria

Worldwide Time Zones:
* 6:00 PM Biafra Time
* 5:00 PM London Time
* 7:00 PM Berlin Time
* 8:00 PM Jerusalem, Israel Time
* 7:00 PM Paris, France Time.
* 2:00 AM Tokyo, Japan Time.
* 7:00 PM South Africa Time.
* 7:00 PM Rome, Italy Time.
* 10:30 PM India Time.
* 8:00 PM Cyprus Time.
* 1:00 PM Washington, DC, USA Time.
* 8:00 PM Nairobi, Kenya Time.
* 2:00 AM Tokyo, Japan Time.
* 7:00 PM Berlin, Germany Time.
* 8:00 PM Moscow, Russian Time.
* 2:00 PM Brazilian Time.
* 7:00 PM Madrid, Spain Time.

You are hereby encouraged to duly inform all your family members and well wishers to join us as we all tune into Radio Biafra on live broadcast, as stipulated above per date and time.

HOW I CAN LISTEN TO RADIO BIAFRA?
Radio Biafra Tune in CHK 102.1 FM or download Radio Biafra App on your phone or go to our website www.rblworld.tv
www.radiobiafra.co
you will get it loud and clear.
The live broadcast can also be monitored through any of the under-listed channels, via:
* Radio Biafra App
* Tunein Radio App
* Simple Radio App
* www.radiobiafra.co
* www.ipob.co
Also follow and like us on Facebook official page @ Radio Biafra London.

Radio Biafra/TV on Satellite
On our Yamal-402 DTH Platform:
Frequency: 20/C band 55°E, freq 11045MHz
Pol: Vertical Symbol Rate: 40MSym, DVB-S,
QPSK, 2/3 FEC, Service ID: 5

Radio Biafra is also on Satellite AMOS 5 satellite @ 17E. Frequency: 12216V S/R: 27500 FEC-3/4

Visit our website link @:
www.biafraherald.co
www.thebiafratimes.co
www.IPOB.org
For more Information on how to listen to the broadcast anywhere you are all over this planet earth, the following are the very simple alternative means.
If you are in Biafra land you can tune to your FM Radio frequency at 102.1 or 100.2. Radio Biafra is also on Satellite AMOS 5 satellite @ 17E. Frequency: 12216V S/R:27500 FEC-3/4.

Radio Biafra is also on App. On your Android phone below are the
procedures you need to take;
I) Simply download the Radio Biafra app through your Google play store (Type “Radio Biafra” and Search) then Install it.
II) Open the app and click on the play icon.
Enjoy, Or download Simple Radio App through the following procedures:
(1) Simply download the Simple Radio app through your Google play store (Type Simple Radio” and Search) then Install it.
II) Open the App and scroll down to locate Radio Biafra.
(II) Click on the play icon and Enjoy.

Also follow and like us on our official Facebook page Radio Biafra to watch the live studio broadcast.
You can listen through phone-call. You must have enough Airtime between 1,500-2,000 Naira for the whole program at exactly 6pm.

Dial: 01440566 or 014405265 to listen on your phone.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/21/jubril-sudan-nnamdi-kanu-release-mind-blowing-evidence-man-aso-rock-fake-listen/

Politics / FG Declares Tues, Wed, Jan. 1 Public Holidays by 10Ebisco: 6:33pm On Dec 20, 2018
The Federal Government has declared Tuesday 25th, Wednesday 26th December 2018 and Tuesday Jan. 1, 2019, as public holidays to mark Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year celebrations respectively.

Minister of Interior, Lt. General (Retd.) Abdulrahman Dambazau made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.

According to the statement signed by Mr Mohammed Manga, Director of Press of the ministry,the minister enjoined Christian faithful and all Nigerians to use the period to pray earnestly for progress and development of Nigeria.

He called on Nigerians to strengthen their resolve to maintain peace and unity in the country before, during and after the 2019 general elections, in the spirit of the season.

Dambazau further urged all Nigerians, “both at home and abroad, to support the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in its determination and sustained efforts towards a peaceful,united and virile nation.”

He wished Nigerians happy Christmas and New Year celebrations. (NAN)

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/20/fg-declares-tues-wed-jan-1-public-holidays/

Politics / APC Dissolves Party Leadership In Imo, Ogun by 10Ebisco: 6:38am On Dec 20, 2018
The National Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has dissolved the executives of the party in Imo and Ogun States.

The party’s National Publicity Secretary, Mr Isah Onilu, disclosed this to Channels Television on Wednesday.

According to him, the decision stemmed from the report of the reconciliation committees set up by the party to resolve the crisis faced in several states after the primaries.

Onilu said the party discovered that its structures had been compromised in those states and were being used to campaign for other parties ahead of the 2019 general elections.

He, however, stated that it was yet to decide whether it will punish those found culpable of working against the interest of the party in both states (Imo and Ogun) as a result of the grievances from the results and outcomes of the party’s primaries. ChannelsTV

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/20/apc-dissolves-party-leadership-imo-ogun/

Politics / Alex Badeh: What Gov. Okowa Said About Murder Of Ex-chief Of Defence Staff by 10Ebisco: 12:19pm On Dec 19, 2018
The Delta State Governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa on Wednesday condemned the killing of the immediate past Air Chief Marshal, Alex Badeh, retired Chief of Defence Staff.

Badeh, a four-star General of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF), was shot dead on Tuesday along Abuja-Keffi expressway.

Okowa, while commiserating with the family of the deceased, described the assassination as an ‘unfortunate and terrible incident’.

He, therefore, urged security agencies to bring Badeh’s killers to book.

He tweeted, “The killing of former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh by unknown gunmen is quite unfortunate and a terrible news just like the case of General Idris Alkali who was abducted and later killed.

“I appeal to security agencies to work together and unmask those involved in the heinous crime that led to the death of the retired Defence Chief.

“Our country is being bedeviled by one manner of killings and abductions or the other. We never knew that it would deteriorate to a level where a former Chief of Defence Staff would be murdered in such a gruesome manner.

“It is my prayer and the prayers of all Deltans that the almighty God will give the family the fortitude to bear this loss.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/19/alex-badeh-what-gov-okowa-said-about-murder-of-ex-chief-of-defence-staff/

Politics / APC Reacts To National Assembly Shutdown, Blames PDP by 10Ebisco: 7:06am On Dec 18, 2018
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has reacted to the industrial action by the National Assembly workers.

Mallam Lanre Issa-Onilu, National Publicity Secretary of the party, in a statement Monday night, said the development is a sad reminder of what Nigerians witnessed under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) administration.

He said PDP’s 16-year rule was characterised by such incidences of unpaid salaries, ghost workers and a shocking disdain for workers’ welfare.

The spokesman: “While the minority PDP usurpers who parade themselves as the National Assembly leadership have promptly paid themselves their allowances, National Assembly workers under the umbrella of Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN) are owed their duly earned 28 per cent increase in their salaries since 2010.

“Perhaps, if the National Assembly leaders have focused on their core legislative business and operations rather than resort to subterfuge with the sole intent of undermining the APC government, the welfare of parliamentary workers would not have been taken for granted.

“Nigerians will recall that the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration in one of its first actions as a government approved federal government bailouts to states to settle salaries owed workers. That is the stuff of people-centred governance which the APC represents. A worker deserves his wages!

“We have now learnt that the parliamentary workers have blocked all entrances into the National Assembly complex and cut off essential services like power and water supply; effectively crippling any form of activity within the premises.

“The APC calls on the Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara to do the needful by attending to the demands of the parliamentary workers.

“The welfare of workers is a cardinal policy of the APC administration. We, therefore, call on the PDP led National Assembly to save the country this national embarrassment.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/18/apc-reacts-national-assembly-shutdown-blames-pdp/

1 Like

Politics / 2019 Presidency: Buhari Is My Brother – Atiku by 10Ebisco: 7:15pm On Dec 17, 2018
Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar has described president Muhammadu Buhari as his brother.

Atiku said this on his official Twitter page while felicitating with Buhari on his 76th birthday.

The former Vice President wrote: “I wish President Buhari a happy birthday even as my family and I pray for long life for him.

“Despite the fact that we will meet at the polls soon, I very much affirm that we are brothers born from the womb of One Nigeria. Happy birthday.”

Buhari, who clocked 76 years, was hosted to a special parade at the forecourt of the Presidential Villa, Abuja

Meanwhile, Atiku will face Buhari in the 2019 election.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/2019-presidency-buhari-brother-atiku/

Politics / Why Buhari Was Called Jubril Of Sudan – Femi Adesina by 10Ebisco: 10:03am On Dec 17, 2018
Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, said wicked people tagged his principal ‘Jubril of Sudan’ because they wanted him dead.

He said this in a birthday tribute in honour of the president.

Titled “Why we love Buhari”, Adesina described the president as a man of integrity, man of accountability, one whose word you can take to the bank.

He wrote: “Don’t misunderstand me. Not all estimated 196 million Nigerians share this sentiment. Not possible. There are those who are passionately opposed to the President. They are a very vocal minority, who abhor his integrity, hate his sense of accountability, and even want him dead. But we are not talking about those who Fela Anikulapo-Kuti called “opposite people.” On this day of his 76th birthday, we are talking of the teeming masses who love Buhari, and who can go to the ends of the earth for him.

“I have said it before, and say it again. It will take a while before Nigeria will see another political leader with such ability to pull an unsolicited and uninduced crowd like Muhammadu Buhari. Anywhere he goes, he doesn’t have to procure the crowd. They turn out in their numbers to see and hear him. They will trek from Africa to China, walk from Cape Town to Cairo, all to see, hear and cheer the man they love.

“Why? Many reasons. He is an honest man. My father, that stern educationist, who ran the home and the schools he administered with an iron hand, used to tell us: “Honesty is the best policy.” That was true over 50 years ago when he drummed it into our ears, and it is still true today. And will remain true tomorrow, and forever. That is why we love Buhari. He is an honest man, who will tell the truth to his own hurt.

“At a recent meeting with governors, while discussing the seemingly knotty issue of minimum wage, the President told them to level with him. He said he knew that general elections were by the corner, “but I don’t like to lie to anybody. I will still like to tell Nigerians the truth, and nothing but the truth, as to what we can truly afford to pay.” Consultations are still ongoing.

Some people will give you fibs, just because they want to hoodwink you, and get your votes. They will announce that they’ve increased the salaries of fictitious workers, even when truly they are owing many of their employees. But not President Buhari. Nothing for him is a matter of life and death. Truth is the best thing in a man’s keeping. Make yourself an honest man, and there is one rascal less in the world. That is why we love the man.

Accountability. I will never forget a promise Buhari made to the crowd at a campaign rally in Lagos in 2011, when he ran with Pastor Tunde Bakare of Latter Rain Assembly. Two honest men. “Every kobo that comes into the treasury will be used for the good of Nigerians.” That’s the accountable man, who would not dip his hands into the treasury for private gains, who will not line his pocket at the expense of the people. That is why we love him.

Just over a week ago, I met a man who was an accountant at the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), when the then Gen. Buhari was chairman. Executive Chairman, who could do anything he wanted, since the place was awash with billions of petrol money.

“I told him his salary would be N200,000 monthly,” the man recounted.

“He said it was too much, since he still drew pension from public coffers as a retired General and former head of state. I don’t know how he calculated it, but he said he would rather be paid N84,000 monthly. And that was what he earned.”

Yet some people say don’t follow this honest man. Till he has one tooth left in his mouth, and is bent double over his walking stick, we will, no matter what they say. Honesty is still the best policy. Today, tomorrow, and forever.

See all the positions he has held in this country. Governor of North-east, then made up of what is now six states. Minister of Petroleum for over three years. Head of State for 20 months. Chairman of PTF for many years. Yet he remains a man of modest means. That is why we love him.

In the early days of this administration, when oil prices had crashed to as low as 39 dollars per barrel (from as high as 115 in preceding years, stabilizing at over $100 for a long time, yet we had no savings, no reserves), it was usually a spectacle to see the President and the then Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun, seated and apportioning funds for the week. Depending on what was in the coffers, they prioritized spending, just like traders with low capital base.

Nigeria had been run into a hole. No reserve for the rainy day, and we were being badly beaten by the rain. Yet salaries must be paid as at when due. At least 27 states could not meet their obligations, till President Buhari gave them a lifeline. And then, one day, a counsel was given at a meeting: “This is the time to ideally cut the strength of the federal civil service by at least half, as we may not be able to carry the load for long.” It made a lot of fiscal sense. But to the President, it was nonsense. “If it lies within my powers, I will ensure that no single person loses his or her job. Yes, it may be the right thing to do, looking at the state of our finances, but I won’t do it,” President Buhari said.

And you say we shouldn’t love this President? We will love him till Africa and China meet.

A confederacy has arrayed itself against the honest man. A crooked confederacy. Anybody that is anybody in the pantheon of questionable character is there. Are Nigerians fools? After their eyes have been opened, will they willfully afflict themselves with blindness again? Not on their lives! The country will never go back to the slave market. Not after we have known prudence, experienced accountability, and we are are inching out of the morass in which we were soused and marooned.

For more than five decades, mere lip service was paid to diversification of the economy. But we remained a mono-product country. Oil. So, whenever the price of oil crashed in the international market, we simply crashed with it. Now gradually, and inexorably, we are on the road to a diversified economy. Wonders are being done in agriculture. Mining is flexing muscles. Manufacturing is showing prospects. All in less than four years.

What of infrastructure? The sum of N2.7 trillion spent in two years. The roads are roaring to life. The rail is snaking in. Power is powering back. Wonders are being unfolded in different parts of the country. And we shouldn’t love this President? We will, no matter what the naysayers say.

Hear pensioners rejoice: This is the best administration we’ve had since the advent of Contributory Pension Scheme 14 years ago.

Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State spoke at a meeting of governors with the President last Friday. He said since the creation of the state, this was the first time pensioners were being paid, adding that pension liabilities have been cleared by about 40%. Just because there is a President that cares.

Former Nigeria Airways workers. Railway workers. Former Biafran policemen. And many others, have had their pensions paid. And we shouldn’t love the ‘birthday man?’ They should tell it to the marines.

When you have a heart for men, it is God himself that keeps you alive. We have seen a practical demonstration in President Buhari.

From the brink of death early 2017, there is now an unmistakable glow in him, evidence of good health from the inside. It is God at work. No wonder wicked people came with the idiocy of Jubril of Sudan. Otiose. Hollow. Products of addled minds. That was why we ignored them, till the President himself responded to a question from Nigerians in Poland two weeks ago.

For millions upon millions of Nigerians who love this President, it is an unconditional love. The full cost of our love is no charge. Happy birthday, Mr President.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/buhari-called-jubril-sudan-femi-adesina/

Foreign Affairs / Dozen Hurt In Huge Japan Restaurant Blast by 10Ebisco: 6:32am On Dec 17, 2018
•The emergency services were first alerted to the explosion at about 20:30 local time on Sunday

A huge explosion and fire has hit a restaurant in the northern Japanese city of Sapporo.

Japanese police say 42 people were injured in the explosion, with one of them in a serious condition.

The cause of the explosion in the Toyohira district is not yet known. Some reports suggested a gas blast.

Images on social media initially showed flames rising from the area with debris all around, and later firefighters tackling collapsed buildings.

Police sealed off the area amid fears of more explosions.

More than 20 fire engines were reportedly deployed.

The emergency services were first alerted to the explosion at about 20:30 on Sunday (11:30 GMT).

Japanese broadcaster NHK said the area affected had both residential and dining establishments and was about 3km south-east of the city centre.

The Japan Times carried an image of firefighters working at a collapsed building and quoted one eyewitness as saying the explosion sounded like thunder.

Another eyewitness told NHK that the blast had broken the windows of the restaurant he was working in, and that there were "many injured people".

Officials warned that the number of injured could rise. (BBC)

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/dozen-hurt-huge-japan-restaurant-blast/

Politics / 2019 Election: What I’ll Do For Gov. Wike – Davido by 10Ebisco: 11:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nigerian pop star, David Adeleke, popularly called Davido, has revealed what he will do for the Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike ahead of the 2019 election

Davido said he would work for Wike’s reelection as Rivers Governor.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Davido made the pledge in Port Harcourt when he visited the Rivers Governor.

He said he would also institute a talent hunt show for Rivers-based artistes.

He said the programme would be in line with his discussions with the State Government to support new generation artistes in the state.

The musician was in Port Harcourt for a musical show tagged: ‘Plugged’, where he was billed to perform alongside other Rivers-based artistes.

“I am also here to see my godfather, Gov. Wike and to support his second term bid.

“I am planning a talent hunt show in Port Harcourt, one of the lucky artistes will perform at my show in Lagos on Dec. 27,” he said.

Davido said he was also in Port Harcourt to wish Wike a happy birthday, adding that in the forthcoming year, there were several things he was planning for the good of the music industry.

NAN also reports that Davido was accompanied by the organiser of the show, Mr Chima Aguma, and Music Promoter, Soso Soberekon.

In his remarks, Gov. Wike promised to support the entertainment industry, to create jobs for the youth.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/16/2019-election-ill-gov-wike-davido/

Health / We Can Make 100-year-old Woman Pregnant — Nigerian Fertility Expert by 10Ebisco: 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2018
There is virtually no age limit for a woman preparing for In-Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) and treatment of infertility, a Nigerian fertility expert has said.

Dr. Abayomi Ajayi, Managing Director, Nordica Fertility Centre, Lagos, stated this in an interview with New Telegraph on Sunday published this morning. The Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, however, explained that ethical considerations restrain fertility experts from assisting women considered old to get pregnant.

Asked, “What is the age limit for a woman preparing for IVF?”, Dr. Ajayi replied thus: “Unfortunately, there is no age limit in the sense that IVF is like any other technology. Is there any age limit to use iPhone? We talk about claims here not the fact. Even if you are 100 years old, you can do IVF if you are healthy, if you can confirm that you are healthy and that the pregnancy will not kill you. But can a 100-year-old woman raise a baby?

“The technology is there and you can use it for 30 years old, 50 years old and even 100 years old. But it’s not a feat when you come out and say you have the oldest mother in the world. The big ethical question remains, ‘are you concerned about that baby you have brought to this world? Can a 70-year-old woman run after a five-year-old baby? Those are the ethical questions. The fact that we can do it doesn’t mean that we need to do it. So, in IVF, there is no age limit.

“In some countries, they said 50 years, not because they can’t do it, but due to these ethical complexities. In some clinics, they also have a certain age limit that they can’t treat due to this same issue. So, what each clinic has done is to say fine, we can’t treat age above this. Though we have a technology, we still have to be responsible to the technology. I’m not saying that the parents will die; that is not what I’m saying. I’m asking whether a 78-year-old woman run after a three-year-old child and bring him up to become a responsible citizen. I might not be right but that is the way I see it. When we have technology like this, we must understand how it affects each individual, families, and society. This is what bioethics is all about.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/16/can-make-100-year-old-woman-pregnant-nigerian-fertility-expert/

12 Likes 1 Share

Politics / Peter Obi, Between Southeast And Southwest, By Jude Atupulazi by 10Ebisco: 7:42am On Dec 16, 2018
With some two months to the almighty presidential election in Nigeria, one cannot but feel encapsulated in the frenetic build up to that day. Although for now, there seems a situation that can be likened to the calm before a storm, political watchers know for sure that it is all about the calm before the final push. But despite the slow motion build up, things have been happening, right from the moment the identities of the major gladiators and their running mates were known.

There is no doubt that one which caused ripples across the country, was the announcement of former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, as the running mate of the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar.

The ripples that announcement triggered were twofold. The first was pure excitement at the choice of Obi by Atiku by the generality of Nigerians who have been following the exploits of Obi, both as governor and as a resource person. The other kind of ripple was what appeared to be a strange reluctance by Obi’s brother governors in the Southeast to accept his choice.

Of the five governors of the Southeast, three are of PDP, Obi’s party. One is of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA; while the remainder was then of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

While it could be understood why both the APGA and APC governors did not show any sort of excitement at Obi’s emergence, being that they had and still have their own presidential candidates, the response of the remaining three governors who were/are of Obi’s party, was difficult to fathom.

Indeed, one of the Southeast PDP governor’s chief press secretary had rushed off to congratulate Obi on his boss’s behalf, believing that his boss would naturally be happy that somebody of Obi’s calibre had been nominated. But the CPS suddenly found himself staring down the barrel of a gun and having to explain his action to his boss who strangely enough did not share in his employee’s enthusiasm. So what then could account for his boss’s action and the actions of the remaining two Southeast PDP governors?

What they told Nigerians in the aftermath of angry reactions to their lukewarmness to Obi’s nomination was that they were not consulted by Atiku before Obi was nominated. On one hand, it could have meant that they had someone else in mind and were therefore jolted by the choice of Obi. On another hand, it could mean that they were envious of not just Obi, but of the fact that Anambra had seemingly been enjoying the lion’s share of big offices, especially regarding the office of the Vice President.

In the Second Republic, an Anambra man, Dr Alex Ekwueme, was the Vice President under Alhaji Shehu Shagari. Much later, another Anambra man, Chuba Okadigbo, was chosen by Muhammadu Buhari as his running mate, although that ticket did not work out. And now, another Anambra man, Peter Obi, has been nominated as the running mate of Atiku; something that the naysayers can’t seem to swallow.

Indeed, while the above sentiments were not openly canvassed by the Southeast PDP governors, it is an open secret that some people view Anambra as unduly dominant, even when those occupying whatever position are well suited to it.

This seems to have been well exemplified by Obi. There’s little doubt that in terms of qualification, suitability, influence, acceptance and popularity, Obi, without doubt stands out among his peers from the Southeast Zone.

As governor of his state, Anambra, he acquitted himself well, developed his state and left billions in the coffers of the state while leaving office. Indeed, in terms of development indices, there’s little doubt that Anambra has developed the fastest under him and it’s all down to Obi’s Midas Touch and legacies. And this was when his contemporaries handed over near empty treasuries to their successors.

Even outside of office, he remained very relevant, certainly more relevant than any other ex-governor in recent memory. He is seen by many Nigerians today as an example of a good leader. This is why he is always being invited to speak at one forum or the other. Thus when his name was announced as Atiku’s running mate, Nigerians went into hysterics; the first time the choice of a running mate would elicit such a celebration. Interestingly, those celebrating him are not limited to his geographical zone. The celebration simply cuts across the entire country.

But while others were ecstatic about the development, discordant tunes were emanating from Obi’s very own people because of issues that can be said to be more laughable than serious.

Now, let’s take the example of Ogun State in the Southwest. This state has produced and is producing many people who have occupied exalted positions in the country or contested for big positions, including the incumbent Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo. Before him had been the likes of Obafemi Awolowo, Moshood Abiola, Olusegun Obasanjo, Babatunde Osotimehin, Dimeji Bankole, among others.

The rest of the Southwest states never protested each time any of the above names came up. What sufficed for them was that they were their people. But then, when it was the turn of the Southeast which has been almost boring the rest of the country with cries of political marginalisation to produce their own man, they changed the cry from marginalization to non-consultation.

I’m sure the rest of the country must have been both shocked and puzzled, especially when the choice of the personality been debated was as good, if not better, as could be found anywhere.

One wondered what manner of consultation was needed when it is the prerogative of an aspirant to choose a person they feel they could work best with. Atiku, perhaps, only owed his party, the PDP, explanations over his choice, at least because of the political dynamics of the country such as the zone to produce the Vice President and the person’s religion. These two are ever present in any political calculation in the country.

For the Southeast leaders to therefore raise any kind of objection based on non-consultation smacks of political naivety. Perhaps, the village from which any of the governors chooses an appointee will tomorrow lead a delegation to such a governor to protest against the governor’s choice, knowing that a governor has the right to appoint anyone based on qualities they see in the person.

Maybe it would have been understandable if Obi was some unaccomplished personality or some crook who cannot be trusted with public office. But when Atiku’s choice is somebody who has proved himself in the business world, politics and leadership, any objection based on such trifling matter as to the state he is coming from certainly portrays the complainants as mere rabble rousers.

No doubt, the events following Obi’s nomination may seem to have been overtaken by time, but there is a need to remind these Igbo leaders as often as anyone can that they shouldn’t play the spoiler role in a deal that will benefit them and their people.

What they should do is to rally round Obi and ensure that he gets into Aso Rock. Obi proved as governor of Anambra, that he is not parochial when it comes to leadership and governance. His home town of Agulu did not get anything more significant than other towns just because Obi was governor of the state. Indeed, it appeared as though Agulu was faced in the twilight of Obi’s administration.

That was why the Agulu Lake Resort Hotel, now Golden Tulip, was only started in Obi’s second tenure. And it was sited in Agulu because of its location and the tourism potential inherent at that location. I recall Obi’s reply each time he was asked why he seemed not to corner projects to his town as many in his position are wont to do. His answer was always that he wasn’t the governor of Agulu but that of the entire state.

So if Obi could rise above primordial clannish interests as governor, is it now that he will become clannish and forget other parts of the east when and if he becomes the country’s Vice President?

Perhaps, those behind the cry of Anambra domination of the rest of the East do not fully appreciate the man, Obi. If they do, they will realise that there’s hardly any better person at the moment than he to occupy the nation’s Number Two seat.

Like their brothers from the West, the East should quit being pedestrian and place merit above all else.

•Mr. Atupulazi is the Editor of Fides Newspaper, Awka.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/16/peter-obi-southeast-southwest-jude-atupulazi/

Politics / 2019: Aregbesola Reveals South-south States APC Will Win, Warns Party About Wike by 10Ebisco: 11:41pm On Dec 15, 2018
Former governor of Osun State and chairman of the National Reconciliation Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the South-South geo-political zone, Rauf Aregbesola, has said that the situation of the party in Rivers State, will make it difficult to defeat the incumbent governor, Nyesom Wike of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

It would be recalled that the Court of Appeal recently declared that the APC does not have candidates for all elective positions for the 2019 general elections in Rivers State.

Speaking in Asaba where he led members of his committee to meet with stakeholders in the protracted factional crisis rocking the Delta State chapter of the party, Aregbesola expressed optimism that every other state in the South-South would be won by the APC in next year’s general elections.

“We have no problems in my (Osun) state. With what I am seeing here today, I believe that the APC will form the next government of Delta State come May 29, 2019. I believe it will happen in Akwa-Ibom State; I believe it will happen in Cross River State and subsequently in Bayelsa State. I would have said Rivers State but I don’t want to be too optimistic.

“My joy is that we are all here today, and I see on the faces joy and air of expectation which is the first sign of victory in any political contest. Let this belief in success permeate our entire being. Delta State is for our party to take but we must accommodate each other and be ready to work together.

“Any tension within a political canopy is a threat to victory. The junction which the party has reached in Delta State is very promising but the promise at this stage is threatened by the seeming differences within the party. I want to appeal to us to give peace a chance.

“Success in next year’s general elections is directly proportional to how well you can stomach those things you want to put forward. If you are mature enough to tolerate one another, accommodate each other and be ready to work together then you have a bigger picture that will benefit all of us.

“But if you insist on having your way on all issues, the acrimony it will bring up will be such that we on our own might scuttle and frustrate our chances of victory. You may not know, some of you have benefited from some government here but there cannot be any gain in a political process without victory. Victory is the crowning glory of all political processes, not defeat, not failure.

“Even if you are not directly benefiting, the fact that your party is in power gives so much air of satisfaction that the way you walk in your neighborhood will be different. I pray that all of us benefit from the government that APC will form in Delta from May 29, 2019,” Aregbesola said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/15/2019-aregbesola-reveals-south-south-states-apc-will-win-warns-party-wike/

Politics / 2019: Jimi Agbaje Finally Reveals Why He Dumped Tinubu by 10Ebisco: 8:00pm On Dec 15, 2018
Jimi Agbaje, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Lagos state, has given reason why he left the camp of the National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

In a statement on Saturday, Agbaje said it was based on differences in principles, as he took exception to the rule of one man dictating how Lagos should be governed.

It would be recalled that Agbaje parted ways with Tinubu in 2007 to join the Democratic Peoples’ Alliance (DPA) as its governorship candidate.

“I take exception to the rule of one man in a metropolitan state like Lagos.

“I have no personal rift with him (Tinubu). What exists between us is all about differences in value and principle. When we were together, I discovered that his own idea of democracy was not what I was taught, so I had to take an exit.

“I am saying that what we are running today in Lagos is a one-man Lagos. A Lagos where somebody says when he is going to bed, Lagos is going to bed, to me that can no longer be tolerable. Lagos must be made to work for the people of Lagos,” Agbaje said.

In addition, he said the ruling APC was foisting “opaqueness in public spending,” pointing out that, it had refused to open up its activities to the people of the state who were not getting value for taxes they paid.

“It is unfortunate that Lagos State under the control of the APC has refused to domesticate the Freedom of Information Act. Everything in government in Lagos State is shrouded in secrecy. The time has come to hand the fortune of the state over to the people.

“Seven trillion naira is what the state government has spent in the last 20 years, and what have we got to show for it? If you look at the average for education in Lagos, only 20 per cent of our children have passed WAEC in five years. The question is, are we getting value? The answer is, we are not getting value at all,” Agbaje said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/15/2019-jimi-agbaje-finally-reveals-dumped-tinubu/

Politics / Saraki Reacts To Outcome Of Vice-presidential Debate by 10Ebisco: 7:02am On Dec 15, 2018
Senate President, Bukola Saraki has reacted to the outcome of the vice Presidential debate, held in Abuja.

DAILY POST had reported that on Friday night, five candidates contesting for the vice presidency, engaged in a debate.

Those who participated were, Yemi Osinbajo (APC) Peter Obi (PDP) Umma Getso (YPP) Alhaji Abdulganiyu Galadima (ACPN) Khadijah Abdullahi-Iya (ANN)

Their responses and opinions drew mixed reactions from Nigerians.

Reacting, Saraki commended the PDP Vice Presidential candidate, Peter Obi for reeling out facts to show Nigerians that the country needed to work again.

He tweeted, “Tonight, @PeterObi, the Vice-Presidential Candidate of our great party, @OfficialPDPNig, reeled out the facts.

“He showed Nigerians across the nation why we need to #GetNigeriaWorkingAgain! #2019Debate.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/15/saraki-reacts-outcome-vice-presidential-debate/

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL: Sarri Confirms Chelsea Star Could Leave Stamford Bridge In January by 10Ebisco: 9:44pm On Dec 14, 2018
Chelsea manager, Maurizio Sarri has hinted that defender, Gary Cahill could leave Stamford Bridge when the transfer window opens in January due to his lack of playing time at the club.

Cahill has not been a regular starter so far this campaign at Chelsea since Sarri took over at the club in July.

The 32-year-old has only played 21 minutes of Premier League football so far this season.

The ex-England international has been urged to leave the West London club in a bid to get a regular first team football elsewhere.

But Sarri has now delivered an honest update about Cahill’s future at Chelsea.

“I respect him [Cahill] very much. He has won everything with this club. I have to respect him, then I have to do my job. For every match I have to choose, and for me it’s not easy to put him on the bench,” Sarri was quoted by The Sport Review as saying.

“Maybe he is the best of our defenders inside the box, but I have to think our centre-backs usually play about 100 or 110 balls in a match, so I need very technical defenders.

“It’s not my decision. It is up to him and the club, because he is in his last year of contract so he has to decide for a new contract here or with another club.

“You know for over-30s the club usually offers only one-year contracts. If he has an offer of three years from elsewherehe can decide on something else.

“It doesn’t depend on whether I am sentimental or not!”

Sarri’s men will tackle Brighton on Sunday evening in the Premier League fixture.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/epl-sarri-confirms-chelsea-star-leave-stamford-bridge-january/

Politics / Aisha Buhari Visits Akwa Ibom Friday To Flag Off Pet Project by 10Ebisco: 12:01pm On Dec 14, 2018
The Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, will today, Friday, visit Akwa Ibom state to officially flag off her pet project, ‘Future Assured Programme’ in the state.

This was disclosed at a press conference by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang on Thursday in Uyo

Enang said over 10,000 indigenes of the state would benefit from the pet programme which was also supported by the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Senator Godswill Akpabio and other members of the National Assembly

He explained that beneficiaries were not only members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as they cut across party lines.

Enang, who said beneficiaries were selected through a transparent and apolitical process by the NDE, added that the gesture was not part of the electioneering campaigns.

He said some of the beneficiaries would be empowered with non-refundable grants, loans, interest-free loans while others will be trained on various areas of skills.

His words, “The wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari will be visiting Akwa Ibom state for the purpose of flagging off her pet project, Future Assured Programme in collaboration with the National Directorate of Employment.

“She will be here as a guest of the All Progressives Congress family and Akwa Ibom people to flag off that programme which is an empowerment programme aimed at giving starter packs and other programmes that are undertaken by her pet project, Future Assured Project and the National Directorate of Employment.

“Other persons that would also collaborate on that programme including the Niger Delta Development Commission, the Senator representing Akwa Ibom
Northeast, Senator Godswill Akpabio and other National Assembly members who have most of their constituency empowerment programme that would want to use that opportunity to empower their people.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/aisha-buhari-visits-akwa-ibom-friday-flag-off-pet-project/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 18 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.