Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,377 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Praying For The Dead - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Praying For The Dead (9112 Views)

Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying For The Dead by juman(m): 5:39pm On Nov 16, 2012
Praying for the dead is important in Islam.

Three Surat al Ikhlas for the dead Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by bongila(f): 5:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
If so,I should start praying for the soul of my uncle who died a MASON to be forgiven and accepted into heaven. HOGWASH.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 5:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
Have you people not heard?

"Let the dead bury the dead." also,

"Let the dead pray for the dead."

what a stricking similarity! Those following Christ should follow him while those following maccabee should follow him.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 5:57pm On Nov 16, 2012
bongila: If so,I should start praying for the soul of my uncle who died a MASON to be forgiven and accepted into heaven. HOGWASH.

I wondered in Francais. Judgement will have no meaning then.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by odiyaka(m): 6:06pm On Nov 16, 2012
To those who to listen and believe, explanation is necessary. to those who dont want to listen no explanation is necessary.
hurricaneChris: I'm jus forced by d blindness (to d truth) of some folks here to comment.

In 2nd Macaebees Judas Maccabees collected offerings frm d remaining soldiers and sent to Jerusalem in atonement for the sins of soldiers killed in d war in d town of Adullam.

I believe the greatest thing done against some Christians was d removal of some scriptural books by Luther King.

I wud rather pray to God frm my houz if am tayad of catholic dan to b part of heresy.

Deus, concedat pater meus et domesticos qui mortui requiem aerternam==>

God, grant my father and family members who have died aternal rest.....Amen
To those who to listen and believe, explanation is necessary. to those who dont want to listen no explanation is necessary.
Re: Praying For The Dead by egbenduru: 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
We may not know the fate of the dead only God alone knows.But it does not help us to mislead others by making references to subjects we do not have detailed knowledge of,for example NECROMANCY is not what most of us here on this thread define it to be,possibly they think that every Nairalander is a novice in matters of Religion and spirituality.Necromancy is the act of conjuring the dead,attempting to communicate with the dead.There is absolutely as far as I know nothing wrong praying for a loved one who has passed on marked with the sign of faith.God has the final say on their fate not we humans.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by Walexz02(m): 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2012
Ok ok.. From Islamic perspective if you dont care u can click here and see for your self.
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:21pm On Nov 16, 2012
chukwudi44: Maybe Jesus practised necromancy in 1 pet 3:18-21
did it say that jesus prayed for the dead?
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo:

1 Pet 3:19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

Do you still insist that the people in prison were not DEAD?

Those who lived in the time of Noah were still alive even after Jesus death?

You are saying that these people lived for about 2500 years?

You're saying Metuselah is not the man who lived longest. You want to redefine Bible history rather than accept that you are wrong?
compare 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6 it'll tell you who these spirits are.
Re: Praying For The Dead by mbulela: 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo: @ HerexG and Frosbel,

When we pray TO those who you say are "dead", we are actually asking the Saints who have made it to heaven to intercede for us. And we know that they are not dead, but alive.
The intercession of Jesus is no longer enough?
He suddenly needs help in his intercessory ministry?

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
ijawkid:

Where did it say it was the spirits of the dead Jesus went to preach to??....

Please italo show me.........

When once you guys decide to shove scriptural truths aside this is what happens.....inconsistency!!!!!!!!........

The bible several times has shown that when a person dies,he/she turns to dust and that persons spirit(breath of life) returns to GOD........

For you to say the spirits of those that died in the deluge were kept in prison is a big hoax............

This thougth is what fuels and maintains your belief in purgatory which goes contrary to what the scriptures really teaches........

Other scriptures have shown clearly that these spirits(not souls as you are falsely thinking) were the disobedient angels who forsook there natural positions in heaven to come dwell with the daughters of men.........

I will repeat this.....God does not lock people who are destroyed in ""prisons"".......

Those spirits in 1 peter 3:19,20 are disobedient angels......Mortal man is not a spirit for crying out loud....

SMH!!!!!!!!!!
thank you
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
mbulela:
The intercession of Jesus is no longer enough?
He suddenly needs help in his intercessory ministry?
they forget there is only one mediator between man and God. That is Jesus Christ. 1 Timothy 2:5, 6
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo: 1 Pet 4:6 "For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now DEAD..."

But anti-Catholics will say that they were not dead.

1 Pet 3:19,20: "19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built."

But anti-Catholics will say that those that were in the days of Noah were still alive after the death of Jesus.

first bolded. Was preached. Not is being preached. Shows past tense referring to when they were alive.
Second bolded. The spirits that were locked up from Noah's day were disobedient angels who came to earth to marry daughters of men.
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:52pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo:

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the people that were disobedient in the time of Noah were not literally dead at the time Jesus went to preach to them, abi? They had lived for 2500years. They had outlived Metuselah.

My brother let me just laugh so that I won't describe or address you with the exact words that you deserve.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 explains the condition of the dead too. They know nothing. And can learn nothing. And No, the people in Noah's day weren't alive in Peter's day, he was referring to the angels locked in "Tartarus"
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 7:53pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo: @Ijawkid,

So it was Angels that were disobedient and perished in the flood in the time of Noah (1Pet 3:20)?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
they did not perish in the flood
Re: Praying For The Dead by Ukeme453: 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2012
Guys, no amount of prayer can change the place a dead person will spend his eternity. After dead is judgement. No more pardon 4 4giveness of sin. Heaven or Hell, period. Kkk
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 8:17pm On Nov 16, 2012
PHILIPPIANS 2:12 tells us to work out our OWN salvation. If i do bad, die, and they pray for me and i'm forgiven. Have i worked out MY OWN salvation? Or has someone worked out my salvation FOR ME? ponder

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by italo: 9:13pm On Nov 16, 2012
ciphoenix: PHILIPPIANS 2:12 tells us to work out our OWN salvation. If i do bad, die, and they pray for me and i'm forgiven. Have i worked out MY OWN salvation? Or has someone worked out my salvation FOR ME? ponder
Ukeme453: Guys, no amount of prayer can change the place a dead person will spend his eternity. After dead is judgement. No more pardon 4 4giveness of sin. Heaven or Hell, period. Kkk

I am not interested in proving to you anymore that Jesus preached to the dead. You should take up your shameful argument with Jesus or Peter who wrote it.

Have you ever said "may his/her soul rest in peace" or have you responded "amen" to that before?

YES or NO?
Re: Praying For The Dead by try69: 10:01pm On Nov 16, 2012
In as much as it is not forbidden to pray for the dead, I would continue praying for the dead. We translate the bible too literally and most of us believe anything outside the bible is not it, quite wrong. Our timing and timing on the spiritual realm, I don't think would be same so when someone says after death comes judgement, they should think deeply. For goodness sakes if I love someone so much and after losing the person you say I should not say "rest in peace", then you'd better think twice well .
Re: Praying For The Dead by haibe(m): 10:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
nne3870: I think most of us are guilty of praying for the dead, cos some ppl quickly adds 'may his/her soul rest in peace' once we hear some1 has passed on... And did i hear some one say amen? You guys would live longer if you stop dissing us and the church.

Not that its a sin to pray for the dead but its just helpless and meaningless, yes i say "may his soul rest in peace" but i already know nothing can be done to change his destination no matter the prayer, besides the word "may his soul rest his peace" is only a statement of hoping for the dead and not prayer. To cut it short, praying for the dead isnt biblical, i think chukwudi got those passage he quoted all wrong.

If it were possible for a persons prayer to be answered, then no one will go to hell, after a bloody sinner dies, all i will just do is to pray and then he goes to heaven (very senseless), now is the accepted time of salvation not when we are dead.
Re: Praying For The Dead by Emperoh(m): 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2012
Translation of the bible according to each one's understanding.
In the end, we contradict ourselves and show our crass misunderstanding of the Holy book
Luther Kind also didn't help us with the books he removed.

All the same, if u believe in praying for the dead, please go ahead
If you don't believe, pls stick to your belief

In so far as i followed this thread, i could see nothing other than personal view of
what people think a verse is being said!!
Re: Praying For The Dead by haibe(m): 10:31pm On Nov 16, 2012
And as it is appointed vnto men once to die, but after this the judgement:
(heb 9:27)

Will the prayer change God's standard of judgement? If it wont, then i think the prayer is meaningless. God can't be mocked, you cant live a sinful life and expect one prayer to save you when you die, common sense should tell us that, if the prayer could save, then jesus dint need to die for our sins since we can be saved after a prayer when we are dead.

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 10:51pm On Nov 16, 2012
italo:

I am not interested in proving to you anymore that Jesus preached to the dead. You should take up your shameful argument with Jesus or Peter who wrote it.

Have you ever said "may his/her soul rest in peace" or have you responded "amen" to that before?

YES or NO?
NO i've never
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 10:53pm On Nov 16, 2012
haibe: And as it is appointed vnto men once to die, but after this the judgement:

Will the prayer change God's standard of judgement? If it wont, then i think the prayer is meaningless. God can't be mocked, you cant live a sinful life and expect one prayer to save you when you die, common sense should tell us that, if the prayer could save, then jesus dint need to die for our sins since we can be saved after a prayer when we are dead.

Sense wan kill you....shake my hands...

From the stance of purgatory supporters,we can just relax back and pray for gadaffi,pilate,hitler,sadam hussein to make the kingdom of God simply by praying for them......

E no go work o......

1 Like

Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 10:56pm On Nov 16, 2012
ijawkid:

Sense wan kill you....shake my hands...

From the stance of purgatory supporters,we can just relax back and pray for gadaffi,pilate,hitler,sadam hussein to make the kingdom of God simply by praying for them......

E no go work o......
thank You. God cannot be mocked. what a man have sown, that he shall reap.
Re: Praying For The Dead by beamed: 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2012
haibe: And as it is appointed vnto men once to die, but after this the judgement:

Thank you sir. No comment from my side. The blind that has refused to see will continue to perpetually be in darkness. Beyond reading and citing quotes, it's necessary to receive revelation on this topic. God will always be right. Jesus is Lord. Enough of the veneration of some dead people.
Re: Praying For The Dead by beamed: 11:38pm On Nov 16, 2012
ijawkid:

You knw wetin vision be at all??...

Ok now let's go from your spurios stand....

After elijah and moses departed where did they go to??....purgatory??

Elijah was taken away by chariot of fire. Moses went to the hill top and nevr came back. Only knows what happened there. So where did the word "purgatory" come from ? Just like "Trinity", who manufactured the word "purgatory" ? I've combed my bible and I can't seem to find the usage of the two words. Please educate me.
Re: Praying For The Dead by ijawkid(m): 12:10am On Nov 17, 2012
beamed:

Elijah was taken away by chariot of fire. Moses went to the hill top and nevr came back. Only knows what happened there. So where did the word "purgatory" come from ? Just like "Trinity", who manufactured the word "purgatory" ? I've combed my bible and I can't seem to find the usage of the two words. Please educate me.

Beamed me sef dey ask the same question since o.......I don't have answers to those 2 words ""purgatory"" and the ""trinity"" because I don't believe in them....

But I'll tell you that elijah never went to the heavens that God resides....In his case of racing through earths
atmosphere(heaven) the fiery chariot evidently
transferred him(elijah) to another part of the
earth,where he continued living for a time.......
How do we know??.......
Years later ,in fact,ELIJAH wrote a letter to
JEHORAM ,the king of Judah the son of
JEHoshaphat after that incident.....if he had gone into heaven and
resided there that wouldn't have been
possible......
You can find that evidence in the book 2
chronicles 2:12-15............

Also Jesus supported this point by saying in the book of john 3:13..
_John 3:13.....
New International Version (©1984)
No" one" has ever gone into "heaven" except the
one who came from" heaven"--the Son of Man.

It is obvious from Jesus' words that enoch,elijah,moses never went to the heaven you are thinking of.......
Re: Praying For The Dead by ciphoenix: 12:55am On Nov 17, 2012
well said my brother
Re: Praying For The Dead by Alishachris: 3:52am On Nov 17, 2012
"FREE Report Shows You How You Can Achieve 5 Times More At No Cost"

Become a better You Today! Enjoy all the good things that life has to offer.

Also get Free 1999 Nigerian Constitution (2004 reviewed). Refuse to be intimidated!

Click the links below to download:

http://www.4shared.com/office/R2yYe7Of/BETTER_YOU.html
http://www.4shared.com/office/dv-OBGwB/constitution_FRN_third_altecat.html
Re: Praying For The Dead by Boomark(m): 4:09am On Nov 17, 2012
beamed:

Visit the last 2 pages(or pages 5,6,7) of the link below to see where trinity has been debunked again.

[url]nairaland.com/1067350/another-look-trinity[/url]

satan was dragging Moses' body with the arkangel Michael in Jude 9. I wonder what he wants to do with it.
But God buried Moses himself, Deut 34:5-6.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Read Apostle Michael Orokpo Biography And His New Ministry: Jesus Encounters Min / Is There Something Inherently Wrong With Black Africans? / Feed On His Word By Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.