Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate (24467 Views)

The Blame Switch - A Short Story / Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate / Chinua Achebe: The Gods Are Not To Blame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 8:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
Just A Reminder:

Boudicca questions Tamar1, Tamar1 responds to these questions from Boudicca
Mavia1 questions Gudit
Sheba questions Asantewaa

This is the first process.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by StJoan1: 8:22pm On Nov 25, 2012
I believe it is the parents responsibility.

Unlike others, I have not a long, long line of neither words, links, or pointing fingers.
I just believe, plain simple, that the teaching of the kids starts in the house, and the sexuality of kids starts so early, that it will, without question, be upon the parents to teach their kids about it.
( I remember asking my mother where babies came from around the age of 4. She explained. )

The parents works as advicers. We can never control what our kids will say or do when they grow up, we can only guide them. They are not ours to keep, we can only give directions. And I do NOT expect others to give directions for my child in life, that responsibility is mine, and the fathers. Other will give them their point of view on the world, morals, ethics, but still: it all starts at home.

I intend to teach my kids from an early age about all aspects in life, including sex. Protection, why people have sex, what you should think about regarding STD`s, pregnancy, etc.
I can not sit at home, and not explain my kids these things, and just expect others to do so. "His fault, her fault, their fault"
Take responsibility for everything in you life, and try to make the world a better place. Start with yourself, and yours, dont expect others to do it for you.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 8:27pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:

The society today seems to leave the whole training of the child to the parents forgetting that the child plays a major role in the society and may either impact positively or negatively. It was with this in mind that the goverment mandated that all children should be sent to school. It was also with this in mind that the American government under the leadership of President Reagan in 1981 passed the AFLA a bill passed to encourage the teaching of sex education in schools.

Pray tell me, is there a country in the world that has all her children in schools? Is that attainable? What is the fate on those that could not get into school? Are they excused form learning the basics of Sex Education? Do we blame the teachers for those that couldn't get into school too? Or are there exceptions?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Sheba1: 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2012
Asantewaa1
1.what happens to the child who goes to a boarding sch & doesn't spend up to 1y in 6yrs with his parents?

2.Let me show u this statistics based on hw a child spends his/her day,
The child sleeps for 9hrs(9-6)=38%
Stays in sch 4 8hrs(8-4)=33%
Watches Tv/stay wit parents for 7hrs(4-9)=29%
Imagine what the parents would get sharing 29% with Tv.So with this,where does the child spend most of his/her day?& who do u think influence the child more,media/sch or the parents?

3.Most sexually active kids wld tell u that they became aware of sex after watching a provocative video,imagine a world without these?dont you think the kids would b safer?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
that is why i said"mandated" i never said that they all complied with that mandate.
Mavia1:
Pray tell me, is there a country in the world that has all her children in schools? Is that attainable? What is the fate on those that could not get into school? Are they excused form learning the basics of Sex Education? Do we blame the teachers for those that couldn't get into school too? Or are there exceptions?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 8:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:

A parent as defined by the Macmillian English Dictionary is a father or a mother. A father or a mother as defined by that same dictionary is a male or female parent. Looking at this definition, it can be seen that there is no special qualification needed to become a parent save for giving birth to a child. Therefore, what do we say about a 16 year old girl who by virtue of having given birth to a child is called a parent? Do we really think that she is well equipped to teach her child about sex? Having made the same mistake?

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a parent is one who brings up and cares for another. In respect of this definition, if the 16-year-old could comfortable bring up and care for a child, i believe she is well-equipped to educate her child about sex. The only factor that could disqualify her is the inability to bring the child up reasonably. Don't you think her age does not really matter in this case? Don't you think she could be matured and strong enough to teach her child not to make the same mistakes she made?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
because of the questions they will be asked by these kids and their lack of expertise to answer this questions resulting in the government training a specified class of people to answer this questions for them
Mavia1:

Why do you think they feel uncomfortable?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 8:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit: that is why i said"mandated" i never said that they all complied with that mandate.
Oh yes. I agree with you. In cases where everybody could not comply with the mandate, who educates the child that could not get into school on sexual activities and the harms associated with it?
This is my final question. Thank you
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 8:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
Am I missing something here Cuddles?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
a 16 year old cannot comfortably bring up a child. what has a 16 year old achieved? if a 16 year old can bring up a child then why prohibit them from having sex? sex is prohibited because society knows that they cannot handle the responsibility that comes with bearing children and so cannot care for them. we can see this in the number of abortions carried out everyday and the number of children up for adoption
Mavia1:
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a parent is one who brings up and cares for another. In respect of this definition, if the 16-year-old could comfortable bring up and care for a child, i believe she is well-equipped to educate her child about sex. The only factor that could disqualify her is the inability to bring the child up reasonably. Don't you think her age does not really matter in this case? Don't you think she could be matured and strong enough to teach her child not to make the same mistakes she made?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 8:44pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca: Am I missing something here Cuddles?

No, Tamar1 hasn't replied you.
Something must be wrong with her connection
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:46pm On Nov 25, 2012
that is where the government now comes in to provide free education or provide jobs to enable this parents to be able to afford to send their children to school. this goes to prove my point that the government has failed in their duties.
Mavia1:
Oh yes. I agree with you. In cases where everybody could not comply with the mandate, who educates the child that could not get into school on sexual activities and the harms associated with it?
This is my final question. Thank you
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by StJoan1: 8:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit: a 16 year old cannot comfortably bring up a child. what has a 16 year old achieved? if a 16 year old can bring up a child then why prohibit them from having sex? sex is prohibited because society knows that they cannot handle the responsibility that comes with bearing children and so cannot care for them. we can see this in the number of abortions carried out everyday and the number of children up for adoption

In some countries, the age of consent is 13, some have 14, some, like my country, have 16 years of age.
If you are old enough to have sex, and you go and have sex, the chances are big that you know about the risks, including getting pregnant.
And if you do NOT know and don`t take responsibility ( using protection ), you know what the outcome CAN be; kids, STD`s.
And if you do not know..well, sorry, the parents failed.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:53pm On Nov 25, 2012
St Joan1:

In some countries, the age of consent is 13, some have 14, some, like my country, have 16 years of age.
If you are old enough to have sex, and you go and have sex, the chances are big that you know about the risks, including getting pregnant.
And if you do NOT know and don`t take responsibility ( using protection ), you know what the outcome CAN be; kids, STD`s.
And if you do not know..well, sorry, the parents failed.

the government passed a bill on the age of consent to be 16 years because by their curriculum given to teachers, the children should have been taught about sex and the dangers as early as Primary 6. (this obtains in Nigeria) i was supposed to have been taught this in primary 6 but sadly the teacher wrote "sex education" on the board but told us plainly that he could not discuss it
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 8:58pm On Nov 25, 2012
Its reverse time

The parent party can now question the other party

For example, Gudit questions Mavin

Please, for those that their questions were not answered, we took note of that. Thanks!
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
i never agreed that parents are even responsible at all for sex education. it is the role of the teachers. i pay my tax for government to pay this teachers to teach my kids about topics i am not well experienced in like sex education
Mavia1:
Does this mean you agree that parents have failed in their responsibilities as regards Sex Education?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 8:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
cuddle please i posted my rebuttals earlier before i got the mail. cant seem to find it here
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 9:02pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit: cuddle please i posted my rebuttals earlier before i got the mail. cant seem to find it here

https://www.nairaland.com/1102305/blame-when-child-sex-without#13111639
There you go
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
[quote author=Mavia1]There was a young girl of 9 who confided in me on how she was abused by her uncle who was living with them. I encouraged her to tell her parents about it. After much persuasion, she agreed. The parents signed her up for deliverance in the church, thinking she was possessed. After a while, she took in for her uncle and almost committed suicide. I didn’t hear from her for a long time. A pretty smart girl with a tainted future and emotional trauma. If only her parents had done something different.

don't you think she was afraid of this same reaction by her parents that is why she came to meet you? don't you think the parents would have listened more to her teachers who are paid and qualified than a 9 year old girl who can be over-imaginative? this are sensitive issues that if wrong allegations are leveled without evidence can lead to a break down in family relationships. the teacher could have worked with the parents to gather evidence. where was the teacher? teachers of today are so strict that they make themselves unapproachable.

secondly, if the church had a counselor, don't you think the counselor could have talked to the girl and intervened in the situation? the religious institutions have failed.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit, could you please repost the rebuttals? I'm finding it difficult to quote or edit the one you posted earlier. Thanks.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:10pm On Nov 25, 2012
Where are the parents? They have left their primary responsibility in search of money, pleasure, fame, etc. Who are they working for? They usually claim it is for the sake of their children.
If the parents don't go out to search for money, how do you expect them to provide the basic needs of a child such as food, education? Of what use is intimate education to a hungry, malnourished and uneducated child?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2012
boudicca pardon me, tried quoting you, couldn't ....

qus 1: since its a quote, you might want to ask beauvoir. but bill cosby will tell you that raising a child is still a dark continent, no one knows it all, its a matter of luck and parents should nt be blamed if the child is led astray by other factors beyond their control
qus 2: you wrote yourself that despite the increase in child sex, studies shows parents are teaching and that parents should be asked what they are really teaching right? well parents arent neglecting their responsibility, they are teaching like parents, shielding their kids and being passionate. they are teaching based on the little they know and was told by their own parents about sex. they have no new info, weren't born in their children's time and arent on par with current trends coz government .didn't deem it fit to educate them. they are not neglecting their duties, they are approaching it the best.way they know.

qus 3: The bigger responsibility lies on the government and its agencies. why? because except in cases of child abuse, children engage in sex in their teen years when their sexual awareness is at its peak and this period is also.characterized by personality.crisis and teens want to be anywhere but near their parents. they resort to surfing d net, etc. the greater responsibility lies on govt agencies to ensure that wen the teen fails to listen to parents, no matter the direction she turns, she finds sex ed. there.

qus 4: agreed, the home is the first point but unless u are saying parents should teach der day old child abt std's and pregnancy, i ll have you know that wen they start becoming sexually aware, and start socializing, the outside world influences them and can negate any ed. taught by parents which is why the media, and other external influence are needed .

qus 5: teachers serve as qualified educators not reminders. they have the expertise, info and equipment to carry out their duties . parents on the other hand know lil or nothing. most do not know abt std's or that some can be gotten from kissing, dat contraceptives cant prevent stds so unless you are saying that parenting should come with set qualifications like been an expert on sex and health iasues, then no, teachers are more than reminders

all i did was show that greater blame is proportional to greater responsibility and doesn't go to parents .
thank you [color=#990000]
[/color]
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:11pm On Nov 25, 2012
Who can control the media, the teachers? No!
The teachers are employed by the government and the government has control over the media. There is a link between these three. Teachers have meetings with the government over educational issues. Parents DON'T!
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:14pm On Nov 25, 2012
Teachers have also been caught to violate children

that is why they are to blame! it is disheartening to know that the people entrusted with the responsibility of educating this children about evil also partake in it.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:17pm On Nov 25, 2012
Teachers are NOT magicians. They are not omnipresent or omniscient. They have about 25 students they deal with. Some schools even have about 40 pupils or more in a class. Do you really expect a single teacher to monitor the intimate activities of 40 children? Common, let’s be realistic. Will the teacher be efficient? No. As a parent, you have less than 25 children to deal with and you still want to pass the bulk of the blame on the teachers? Doesn’t it sound ridiculous to you?
Why do you think that in most schools, teachers are 2 in a class? and this teachers are of both sexes. one for the males, another for the females because Teachers are trained to deal with this issues. What do you expect of a father in a polygamous setting? If you cannot expect a trained and paid teacher to monitor 25 kids how do you expect a single polygamous father who is who is untrained to monitor his kids?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:18pm On Nov 25, 2012
take for instance, if I had a cute little girl- my daughter, I would give anything to make her happy and live a good life. I would be passionate about her. I wouldn’t want her to be misled or molested. She would be mine. I would have great interest in her. However, if she had a teacher she loved as well- a wonderful teacher. The teacher wouldn’t be as passionate about her future and intimate activities as I would, because she is my daughter and I would know, love and understand her better.
If you would teach and understand her better, why send her to school to learn biology and anatomy when you are quite familiar with the female anatomy yourself?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 9:19pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:
If the parents don't go out to search for money, how do you expect them to provide the basic needs of a child such as food, education? Of what use is intimate education to a hungry, malnourished and uneducated child?
Note, i said "primary responsibility". Do i neglect my child because i want to provide her with food or education? No. The life of a child is nothing compared with the wealth or fame i could gather in a lifetime. Of course, the parents should work, but never place your work above your children. There should be checks and balances. Limits should be defined. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth but the values instilled in me by my parents is the driving force behind my success and moral sanity. Have you heard of Home School? If a parent cannot train a child in school and the government does not make provisions, keep your child in your home and train him/her well. You don't need lots of money to do that.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:20pm On Nov 25, 2012
Parents (the sane ones), cannot violate their children
Don't categorise. They are all parents. there is nothing like sane or insane parents. once you are a parent, nobody wants to know if you are sane or insane
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by StJoan1: 9:20pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:

the government passed a bill on the age of consent to be 16 years because by their curriculum given to teachers, the children should have been taught about sex and the dangers as early as Primary 6. (this obtains in Nigeria) i was supposed to have been taught this in primary 6 but sadly the teacher wrote "sex education" on the board but told us plainly that he could not discuss it

Then that should be taken up with the headmaster.

Still do not change the fact that the parents should teach their kids about sex waaaay before that age.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 9:22pm On Nov 25, 2012
thank you
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 9:23pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:
The teachers are employed by the government and the government has control over the media. There is a link between these three. Teachers have meetings with the government over educational issues. Parents DON'T!
Who pays the teachers? Parents. Who pays the government (taxes)? Parents. I wish i could insert a mind map here. If you remove parents from this link, do you think teachers or the government can stand well? Parents are the pillars that hold these two together. Their roles cannot be neglected as regards Sex Education

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Remember Me / My Son My Man- A Story / My Feud With Akwaeke Emezi - Chimamanda Adichie Tells Her Side Of The Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.