Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,050 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate (24465 Views)

The Blame Switch - A Short Story / Is The Use Of Child Soldiers, A Good Phenomenon Or Not - Nigerian Online Debate / Chinua Achebe: The Gods Are Not To Blame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 10:34pm On Nov 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
I agree that information is necessary, however you laid out a plan that seems somewhat far reaching. . .where the teachers and the government control what the media should broadcast. Considering how long these kinds of tasks take come into being, don't you think it would be easier if the parents just stepped in and took control of what their children are watching right now?

there is no perfect parent. you can control what your child watches inside the house but what of when he or she goes visiting? what of the movies shown on the road? can a parent effectively monitor all this? it is left for the government to monitor this things and that is what led to the establishment of the National Film and Censors Board to monitor this things
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit,teachers getting "trained" does not equal them having "good moral standard"

A teacher can still be a ra.pist , paedophile or a teen mom and if as such, do you think its right for such a person to be in position of teaching a child seex education?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 10:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
cuddles please could the judges ask their questions now because i am at a cybercafe and i need to leave before 11pm because it is late. thanks
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 10:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca: Tamar1

if i understood you well, u meant that parents have sole and.greater responsibility only because.they have the first responsibility? why do u think so? isn't it just like saying that national chairman of a political party has sole responsibility to the membersby virtue of his office and that.state chairman and l,g chairman who can better reach. the grassroots has no responsibility?

they do not have the prerequisites because they arent qualified, trained educators and also their instinct to protect will prevent them from giving their kids comprehensive sex ed. besides they are bound to teach children wat they.feel is right thereby stripping.the.kids.of the views of diff schs of tot and ability to make informed choices . i am saying that all parents are not esucated and that the onwa that are doesnt qualify as competent sex educators coz they are engineers or accountants

Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 10:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
So what do we call her and who should be responsible for her child's upbringing?
I call her "fertilization tunnel." Pardon my choice of word. However, her parents should be questioned. She is still a child not ready for responsibilities. We have foster parents, they could assist her in training her child on Sex Education, or perhaps the teenager's parents. I advice her on good authority not to rely or depend on the teachers (that's if the child has access to basic education), or the government (not with the epileptic state of most of our schools), or the media. If she can't take responsibility, let those that are responsible for her take up her responsibility, for they are linked together.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 10:38pm On Nov 25, 2012
maclatunji: @Boudicca, don't you feel that parents are a product of the society and any failures they have in terms of "sex education" is primarily society's failure?

@Sheba, what is the primary role of parents in the sexual enlightenment of their children?

That's parents hiding behind the failures of the society and to me it means they are not ready to succeed, if a parents must succeed in whatever way, they need to first think of what they can do and if something worthwhile, they should sit and find a way around it to make it work instead of making excuses.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 10:40pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit: cuddles please could the judges ask their questions now because i am at a cybercafe and i need to leave before 11pm because it is late. thanks

Ok, noted. Some debaters also sent me an email about having a busy day tomorrow.
We will collate the scores from the judges while the discussion still continues. Thanks!
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Gudit: 10:41pm On Nov 25, 2012
ifyalways: Gudit,teachers getting "trained" does not equal them having "good moral standard"

A teacher can still be a ra.pist , paedophile or a teen mom and if as such, do you think its right for such a person to be in position of teaching a child seex education?

no educational institution or any company at all employs people without referees as to your good behavior and character. with the level and standard of interviews given before employment, i doubt a teen mom can gain employment as a teacher without qualifications.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 10:42pm On Nov 25, 2012
Tamar1: boudicca if i were to agree with you for a nano second tha t parents are to blame, going by your definition of the tem "parent", are you not saying that government, schs and media arr.to blame since they are caregivers, protectors, nurturers and even counsel a and guide ?

This can only suffice if the biological parents are no more, but if they are, why should the balme be given to another parent?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 10:46pm On Nov 25, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Ok, noted. Some debaters also sent me an email about having a busy day tomorrow.
We will collate the scores from the judges while the discussion still continues. Thanks!
In that case, can the debaters continue their discussions. I mean Gudit and Mavia1?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Sheba1: 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
Asantewaa1:

as far as im concerned, i dont suppot d idea of children that is less than 10 yrs of age to be in boarding house, any parent that do that is already a failure, because, he/she will not be able to perform his/her parental duties as expected of them, so for a parent to be relevant in d life of their children, they just have to create time for the upbringing, monitoring and educating their children.
We are all product of our parents, when a child turns out well, d praises go to d parent, and if it is otherwise, d blame also go to d parents. So, as parents, it our duty to give sex education to our children as early as possible. Failure to do that, hence, d parents should be blamed.

As regard TV watching, when a child is properly brought up, he/she knows d type of film or video to watch.
u still haven't answered the question of what happens to kids above 10yrs in boarding schs
What happens when u aren't with the kids we all know how inquistive kids can be
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca:

This can only suffice if the biological parents are no more, but if they are, why should the balme be given to another parent?
[/color]

so then.you are.saying.that a parent is simply ones biological mum or dad?
that your earlier definition was wrong and nurturers and caregivers aren't parents even by default?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by ifyalways(f): 10:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
Asentawa, we are Africans and we know what seex education means to an average African parent. Its basically "don't play with boys, you'll get pregnant" etc. is that good enough? The teachers are better equipped to take the bulls by the horns, Imo.

In a world whereby the only password to a p.orn site is "I agree, I'm above 18" don't you think the teacher is in a better position to help kids make the right choice ?how many parents know how to use a computer?

Anyone can be a parent(drug addicts, physcos, teens) but same can be said of teachers.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 10:50pm On Nov 25, 2012
Mavia1:
In that case, can the debaters continue their discussions. I mean Gudit and Mavia1?

Yes
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca:

[/color]
who do u shift the burden to when a child is an orphan? the dead parents?
do u mean to say that its ok for other favtors like sch to come into play only wen.d parents are no more?
are you saying that different scales should be used for children with and without parents ?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 10:52pm On Nov 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
So what do we call her and who should be responsible for her child's upbringing?

Sisi_kill, please we are waiting for your scores
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Asantewaa1: 10:57pm On Nov 25, 2012
Sheba1: u still haven't answered the question of what happens to kids above 10yrs in boarding schs
What happens when u aren't with the kids we all know how inquistive kids can be

there is nothing that is going to happen to them except for them to put into use all d education, training he/she has acquired from the the parent before taken to d boarding house. If a child has been properly brought up, d training will always help him to take d right decision.
And by d way, after d term, there is always holiday, which he will stil have to be at home and d parent s will have to continue building on d foundation already laid.

I hope i have answered u now?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 11:02pm On Nov 25, 2012
From Tamar1,

if i understood you well, u meant that parents have sole and.greater responsibility only because.they have the first responsibility? why do u think so? isn't it just like saying that chairman of a political party has sole responsibility to the membersby virtue of his office and that.state chairman and l,g chairman who can better reach. the grassroots has no responsibility?

Parents have the greater responsibility not only because they are the first responsibilities,
they are meant to be friends with their kids, observe their actions to know when they are on the wrong track, educate their kids on social and sexual vices, I mean they need to be updated from time to time so as to be on the same wavelength as their kids.

and yes the chairman and not the LG will be held responsible if the objectives of the party is not met, why then is he the chairman?

they do not have the prerequisites because they arent qualified, trained educators and also their instinct to protect will prevent them from giving their kids comprehensive sex ed. besides they are bound to teach children wat they.feel is right thereby stripping.the.kids.of the views of diff schs of tot and ability to make informed choices . i am saying that all parents are not esucated and that the onwa that are doesnt qualify as competent sex educators coz they are engineers or accountants
[color=#990000]

A parent do not need to get certified before he/she can educate their child,
they have the ability to tell the wrong from the right and to educate their kids likewise, but sadly not all parents can.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:08pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca: From Tamar1,

if i understood you well, u meant that parents have sole and.greater responsibility only because.they have the first responsibility? why do u think so? isn't it just like saying that chairman of a political party has sole responsibility to the membersby virtue of his office and that.state chairman and l,g chairman who can better reach. the grassroots has no responsibility?

Parents have the greater responsibility not only because they are the first responsibilities,
they are meant to be friends with their kids, observe their actions to know when they are on the wrong track, educate their kids on social and sexual vices, I mean they need to be updated from time to time so as to be on the same wavelength as their kids.

and yes the chairman and not the LG will be held responsible if the objectives of the party is not met, why then is he the chairman?

[color=#990000]

they have the ability to tell the wrong from the right and to educate their kids likewise, but sadly not all parents can.
u mean that a parent by virtue of the parentship knowa all about std's birthcontrol and its side effects?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Cuddlemii: 11:10pm On Nov 25, 2012
@tgirl4real, I see you viewing. Please, can you send in your scores. Thanks
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2012
Tamar1:
[/color]
who do u shift the burden to when a child is an orphan? the dead parents?
do u mean to say that its ok for other favtors like sch to come into play only wen.d parents are no more?
are you saying that different scales should be used for children with and without parents ?

from the definition of the word parent, you have first the one who births and nurture the child first before other definitions, that is to tell you how important biological parents are and in a case where they are no more, the other parent takes it's place.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 11:14pm On Nov 25, 2012
Gudit:

no educational institution or any company at all employs people without referees as to your good behavior and character. with the level and standard of interviews given before employment, i doubt a teen mom can gain employment as a teacher without qualifications.
Really? Can you prove this? What about Corp Members that were posted to school during the service year? Can you vouch for their good behaviour and character too? Do they have good referees too? There are lots of teachers who are not qualified to do their jobs. This is a known fact. If you want details, i'm ready to give you details with official records and evidences.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca: From Tamar1,

[color=#990000]

u mean that a parent by virtue of the parentship knowa all about std's birthcontrol and its side effects? u wuld rather deny kids comprehensive sex ed and have parents teach dem d lil they know that have competent educators teach them?
tell me, why do you feel schools and media aren't competent? do u deny that kids are influences by outside factors and modern tech which their parents are skilled on?

back to first responsibility, do u deny the war between parents and teens and.the need for kids to do d exact.opposite of wat their parents tell them? do u deny the straines relationship dat exist bw them den? and that parents embarrassment dat der kid is growing up will not prevent them from teaching facts!

abt d party officials, the one with the higher responsibility is d one dat has access to the masses, the grassroots so also do d media and teachers have.more access and attention of teens, children .
[/color]
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Asantewaa1: 11:21pm On Nov 25, 2012
ifyalways: Asentawa, we are Africans and we know what seex education means to an average African parent. Its basically "don't play with boys, you'll get pregnant" etc. is that good enough? The teachers are better equipped to take the bulls by the horns, Imo.

In a world whereby the only password to a p.orn site is "I agree, I'm above 18" don't you think the teacher is in a better position to help kids make the right choice ?how many parents know how to use a computer?

Anyone can be a parent(drug addicts, physcos, teens) but same can be said of teachers.

Civilisation has gone beyond dt, i dont think any parent who really know what they are doing can use such approach again, parents now and should be able to take d bull by d horn, by being open to them in totality as regards sex education.
"communicating with children and being closely involved in their live are essential to healthy and safe adolescent development and central to reducing teen involvement in sexual activity"
2. In that case, may be i should also ask u, how many teachers are computer literate? As a matter of fact, there is limit to which a teacher can go in monitoring an adolescent, because, it may lead to something else, but if it is a parent, whether literate or not, once he is able to get a clue of what d child is doing, he may take drastic action against d child, which teachers may not be able to do, something like seizing d device, etc.
3. Yes, anybody can be a parent, but does it occur to u too that anybody can also be a teacher. I have heard of cases where teachers molests d students that are assigned to them, what do u see about that? When i was in secondary school, there was this teacher that always get drunk early in d morning before morning assembly, and we students will be making jest of him, what do u think will be d fate of any student assigned to him?
I still maintain that d parent has more to do in terms of sex education to their children, no matter how bad d parent is, at least, he will reap what he has sowed in d life of his child in future.
We bear d name of our parent and they have a duty to perform, if they fail to do it, then, they should be blamed.
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2012
Tamar1:
u mean that a parent by virtue of the parentship knowa all about std's birthcontrol and its side effects?

and why shouldn't they? these are household terms that are used everyday and slangs even created for it and even when they don't all they need do is to get themselves updated every now and then either from someone more experienced than them or the internet so as to be able to educate their kids.
or is this too great a price to pay?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:31pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca:

and why shouldn't they? these are household terms that are used everyday and slangs even created for it and even when they don't all they need do is to get themselves updated every now and then either from someone more experienced than them or the internet so as to be able to educate their kids.
or is this too great a price to pay?

ok. let me ask you, wat are the ways std's can be transmitted? wat is a contraceptive and its functions ? the fact.remains that issues concerning sexuality goes beyond sex and pregnancy . parents do not know it all and they aren't everyday slangs

it's good that you agree with me that parents can source for info elsewhere. invariably, you, we are saying that.its the responsibility of the govt and media to educate the parent who ll in turn educate the child . inother words, govt and media and schools are to blame when a child engages in early sex
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 11:37pm On Nov 25, 2012
Tamar1:
u mean that a parent by virtue of the parentship knowa all about std's birthcontrol and its side effects? u wuld rather deny kids comprehensive sex ed and have parents teach dem d lil they know that have competent educators teach them?

tell me, why do you feel schools and media aren't competent? do u deny that kids are influences by outside factors and modern tech which their parents are skilled on?

don't get me wrong, these parents were once taught by teachers so why should I see them as incompetent?
teachers and government has a role to play in this also, there is no doubting that.
are you aware that there exist educated parents who not even have time for their kids? thereby leaving their kids uninfomed? what does that tell you of them?
teachers and the government can be excused from this but definitely not the parents.

back to first responsibility, do u deny the war between parents and teens and.the need for kids to do d exact.opposite of wat their parents tell them? do u deny the straines relationship dat exist bw them den? and that parents embarrassment dat der kid is growing up will not prevent them from teaching facts!

the question here is, how is their relationship?
do these parent respect their kids and allow them to participate in decisions about them or they just go ahead and threaten/impose on them?

abt d party officials, the one with the higher responsibility is d one dat has access to the masses, the grassroots so also do d media and teachers have.more access and attention of teens, children .

then the chairman needs to be impeached because he's definitely not doing his job.
[/color]
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:39pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca:

from the definition of the word parent, you have first the one who births and nurture the child first before other definitions, that is to tell you how important biological parents are and in a case where they are no more, the other parent takes it's place.

u haven't answered my.questions, are u saying that different scales should be used for kids with and without parents ? that they are unequal and should be treated differently?
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Mavia1: 11:43pm On Nov 25, 2012
Now that Gudit is not here, what should Mavia do? Hmmmm
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:48pm On Nov 25, 2012
Boudicca: [/quote][quote]
[/color]
now you are assuming that all parents are educated, wat about the uneducated uncivilised parents?
when you talk about children and parents, do u segregate bw.d.haves and have nots, educated and illiterate?

do u deny the influence of our culture dat admonishes one.on one discussion bw parents and children? before u answer may i bring it to ur knowledge dat not all parents are.civilized or do u blame parents for lagging behind in the civ process

impeach the n chairman and promote.d lg chairman man, s circle repeats. it seems to me dat a better option ll be to utilize d lg chairman that has access to d masses
Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Boudicca: 11:48pm On Nov 25, 2012
Tamar1:

ok. let me ask you, wat are the ways std's can be transmitted? wat is a contraceptive and its functions ? [b]the fact.remains that issues concerning sexuality goes beyond sex and pregnancy. parents do not know it all [/b]and they aren't everyday slangs

very true,

it's good that you agree with me that parents can source for info elsewhere. invariably, you, we are saying that.its the responsibility of the govt and media to educate the parent who ll in turn educate the child . inother words, govt and media and schools are to blame when a child engages in early sex

of course I've never implied that they can't get this information from another means, how else can they be knowledgeable to educate their kids? from their farms?

the responsibility lies on them whether they decide to educate these kids themselves or send them to schools.

Re: Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate by Tamar1: 11:52pm On Nov 25, 2012
[quote author=Boudicca][/quote]
[/color]

actually the responsibility lies first on the govt to educate the parents who inturn are enlightend and can teach and send their kids to sch.

if u agree wit me that parents dont.know it.all, then u agree that teachers are more competent?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Remember Me / My Son My Man- A Story / My Feud With Akwaeke Emezi - Chimamanda Adichie Tells Her Side Of The Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.