Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State (10384 Views)

Robbery in Imo State Uni. Who Do I Report To? (urgent) / Prof. Osinbajo Promises Free Tertiary Education For Teachers In Nigeria / Imo State University Post Ume Info; Dept. Cut Off, Closing & Exam Dates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Catchfire1: 4:40pm On Nov 16, 2012
OILOFGLADNESS:

PLEASE IF U DONT KNOW WAT TO SAY , JUST CLOSE THE TREND AND GOOOOOOOOO
NEGATIVE MIND IS WHAT HAD KEPT NIGERIA IN THIS STATE

#I_Gbagaun-ed
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by kutchs: 4:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
While it is not a waste it is however not what Imo school system needs at the moment. Infrastructural and personneldevelopment are better at the moment than free education. IMSU and Imo Poly are at best glorified secondary schools, inadequate lecture theatres and halls, unconducive staff offices, dissatisfied workers are all hallmark of these schools as are all Nigerian tertiary institutions. The IMSU I left in 1999 has barely changed in terms of structural and staff development, thus I wish that Owelle should give equal attention these areas too.

By the way my young nephew confirms the collection of his own #100000 cheque. Kudos to Imo state govt but...
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by fiftynaira(m): 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
MISPLACED PRIORITY! 100000 naira X 30000 students for 4years is enough to b used 2change dat university's status 2a top institution in Nigeria- if not West Africa! Most male students wud used dat money to pursue women.
I knw people like you will condem this why can't you applude such gesture... For the records our gov is building one of the best if not the best structure for university education...in imo

2 Likes

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by jkross(m): 4:52pm On Nov 16, 2012
megxo: DATS WASSUP GOVERNOR...............MORE ACTIONS PLS
na wash o..my cousins stood in the crowd only for them to be asked to go to their village and collect their money from the village king...the students are yet to get the money and its already over the news...cheap publicity stunt..you needed to see how the poor student were trekking back from heroes square..

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by somegirl1: 5:07pm On Nov 16, 2012
hope this sustainable and the system won't be abused
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 16, 2012
This is good, like this man, Nigerians deserve free education, Amosun, Fashola, Oshomole, Ajumobi and the rest please (ti e ko ba mo jo e ma wo enikeji yin)
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by BJAMIN: 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
hmmmmm just passing by i no see anything o
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by femi2131: 5:27pm On Nov 16, 2012
If imo state can achieve this..what happen to almighty lagos state?fashola beware oo
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Nobody: 5:59pm On Nov 16, 2012
Great encouragement to put the people to high education. I hope other states emulate such important idea!
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by maasoap(m): 6:01pm On Nov 16, 2012
hubreality: The executive governor of Imo State Gov Rochas Okorocha officially flags off the promised free tertiary education to Imo citizens. 100,000 to be recieved by each student of Imo state university and 60,000 to each student of Imo poly towards their various tuition. You must be an Imo citizen to partake on the free education.

www.imostateblog.com/2012/11/13/free-tertiary-education-officially-flags-off-in-imo-state/
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by maasoap(m): 6:05pm On Nov 16, 2012
hubreality: The executive governor of Imo State Gov Rochas Okorocha officially flags off the promised free tertiary education to Imo citizens. 100,000 to be recieved by each student of Imo state university and 60,000 to each student of Imo poly [/b]towards their various tuition. You must be an Imo citizen to partake on the free education.

www.imostateblog.com/2012/11/13/free-tertiary-education-officially-flags-off-in-imo-state/
[b]Then, what about other Imo students who attend other universities and polytechnics?
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Autolord: 6:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
[size=25pt]ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!![/size] He would have invested the money in providing infrastructure,resources et al. to ensure it attains the status of providing world class education and also become the best state university in Nigeria and Africa.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by ZeusI: 6:33pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
MISPLACED PRIORITY! 100000 naira X 30000 students for 4years is enough to b used 2change dat university's status 2a top institution in Nigeria- if not West Africa! Most male students wud used dat money to pursue women.
Nigerians are 10million times more inclined to complaining, just about anything than the ancient Israelites in the wilderness. You do good, complaining; you do bad, complaining.

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by eelvismd(m): 6:39pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:

Nice comment!
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by eelvismd(m): 6:44pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:

Zeus I: Nigerians are 10million times more inclined to complaining, just about anything than the ancient Israelites in the wilderness. You do good, complaining; you do bad, complaining.

@ Zeus I: If you read the comment of MostIncredible.DFirst in between the lines, you will appreciate the truth in what he/she said better...All the show to gallary and window dressing usually adopted by our leaders will not take our Universities to greater height in terms of scholarship and state-of-the-art infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by kaeto(m): 6:51pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
How many universities in you region and state has been given such face-lift you talk about. The heart that percieved and is accomplishing this shall sure be fair to all ends. How do you say 'judas iscariot' in your language self

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Gondyke: 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2012
Rochas mean well'for'the'masses,let other governors emulate him.God bless owelle Rochas Anayo okorocha forever and many more years to go
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by solomonkane(m): 7:28pm On Nov 16, 2012
OILOFGLADNESS:

IF YOU HAVE NOTING TO SAY PLS CLOSE UR MOUTH AND PASS, THIS MAN HAD MANY SCHOOLS FROM NURSERY TO SECONADRY AND NOW TERTIARY THAT ARE ALL FREE, I MAEN EVERTHINT, THEIR UNIFORM, BAGS SCHOL SANDALS, NAME IT, . THATIS WHEN HE NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT MONEY, TALK OF NOWWWWW
WITH GOD ALL THINGS IS POSSIBLE,
NIGERIA HAVE MONEY, STATES HAVE MONEY. JUST THAT BAD LEADERSHIP KEEP ON HURDING IT

APRECIATE GOOD THINGS AND PRAY FOR GRACE OF GOD UPON THOSE DOING IT

Another classic example of why FREE EDUCATION isn't a good idea, it produces latrine-brained buffoons like this jackass. Learn to spell properly before making comments.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Claumy2(m): 7:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
A good one. I just wish this money would be used to subsidize or pay the tuition fee. I just hope this development does not affect the payment of the staff of the state owned tertiary institutions in the state. In terms of whether Imo state has the capacity to sustain this? The answer is YES. GBAM! Most of the governors in this country are rogues. Just pray that this development is sincere...
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Gondyke: 7:30pm On Nov 16, 2012
kutchs: While it is not a waste it is however not what Imo school system needs at the moment. Infrastructural and personneldevelopment are better at the moment than free education. IMSU and Imo Poly are at best glorified secondary schools, inadequate lecture theatres and halls, unconducive staff offices, dissatisfied workers are all hallmark of these schools as are all Nigerian tertiary institutions. The IMSU I left in 1999 has barely changed in terms of structural and staff development, thus I wish that Owelle should give equal attention these areas too.

By the way my young nephew confirms the collection of his own #100000 cheque. Kudos to Imo state govt but...
Josh316: Here comes the Complete Brokeness of Imo by 2015... Really, while on the short term it might seem populist and wonderful, it really will NOT address the core issue with Education in Imo. Economically, even the US doesn't give that much freebies when it comes to education but they encourage student loans. People might attack me for being objective but this is NOT a good policy.
kutchs: While it is not a waste it is however not what Imo school system needs at the moment. Infrastructural and personneldevelopment are better at the moment than free education. IMSU and Imo Poly are at best glorified secondary schools, inadequate lecture theatres and halls, unconducive staff offices, dissatisfied workers are all hallmark of these schools as are all Nigerian tertiary institutions. The IMSU I left in 1999 has barely changed in terms of structural and staff development, thus I wish that Owelle should give equal attention these areas too.

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by PointB: 7:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
Education management has always been one of the core strength of Rochas judging from his well known educational philantrophism across the country. Education incidentally has also been one of the silient feature that stood Imo State aside from several states in Nigeria. Rochas and Imo State are meant for one another - educationally at least. Now if there is anyone in Nigeria who can tell for sure, whether this policy of free education is sustainable - the first person that come naturally to mind is Rochas.

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Odunnu: 7:41pm On Nov 16, 2012
jkross: na wash o..my cousins stood in the crowd only for them to be asked to go to their village and collect their money from the village king...the students are yet to get the money and its already over the news...cheap publicity stunt..you needed to see how the poor student were trekking back from heroes square..
I think the 'poor student' you refer to here refused following instructions. I know somebody who knows two Imolites who have their N80k cheques already
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by ubong560(m): 7:42pm On Nov 16, 2012
Why is Akwa Ibom and Rivers not d 1st to do dis? Is Imo richer dan dem compare 2 d current inflow of cash?
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by omosexy1: 7:49pm On Nov 16, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:

I don't know about chasing women but I agree with you on Misplace Priorities. Such monies should be used to create jobs for the students who will eventually graduate and need jobs for survival. How is the Imo Govt going to fund this project or continue to fund the project? I think the governor just wants to be loved and this love will cost Imolites.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 16, 2012
@Solomonkane,you are a big fool and idiot,why do you think every student of a well rich nation not deverve a free education at all level,all you could come up with is they will be in massive debt,free education should be for anyone willing to learn in a rich nation like Nigeria,and there is no adverse effect if managed well.

Infact,All student in Nigeria are supposed to be educated freely,IMO State welldone,Fashola pls follow suit

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by omosexy1: 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2012
PointB: Education management has always been one of the core strength of Rochas judging from his well known educational philantrophism across the country. Education incidentally has also been one of the silient feature that stood Imo State aside from several states in Nigeria. Rochas and Imo State are meant for one another - educationally at least. Now if there is anyone in Nigeria who can tell for sure, whether this policy of free education is sustainable - the first person that come naturally to mind is Rochas.

This is not free education. It is disbursement of funds to student.

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 16, 2012
This is a waste, i reside in this state and the truth be told, there is complete hardship, no employment, bad roads especially after heavy down pour and the list goes on. He shuold look into youth empowerment and attract investors to the state and not start a project that will leave the state in debt on d long run.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by mikeokiro: 8:01pm On Nov 16, 2012
solomonkane: I support, applaud and encourage subsidized education. I completely disagree with free education. At the risk of sounding pessimistic, this looks like another half-baked "masses oriented" policy that will leave the next administration with mountains of debts and stifle meaningful long term progress. Going by statistics, Imo state has one of the highest number of tertiary students in the nation, how sustainable is it? Even states like Rivers and Delta with large allocations and Lagos with a large IGR can't and shouldn't try it.

Hallo my dear, have you forgotten that former governor of River state peter odili, had 3 private jets, houses in UK, america and south africa all for himself alone and i hope also u have not forgotten the famous James Ibori , the former Delta state governor who stole billions of naira from his people, having luxury houses all over the world, in europe , america , canada , and dubai, with chain of luxury cars and billions in foreign bank account who is now in UK prison

Now ask urself, Instead of stealing those money and using it for personal luxury wouldnt that money have been enough to be paying even if it was half tuition fees to his people in school.

governor rochas okorocha should be praised not critisized please, we need people who think like him to move this country forward

1 Like

Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by ubong560(m): 8:23pm On Nov 16, 2012
Most of u ar talkng abt infrastructural dev. in d educatnal sector. If d so called infrastructural dev. is carried out and people lack d ability to av sponsorshp in d institutn, to wat use is d infrastructural dev.? Think well b4 u comment! Dis man has shown dat truly there's money in naija wch can benefit every citizen if truly used. Just dat we av been ruled by bad and corrupt leaders.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by solomonkane(m): 8:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
mike.okiro:

Hallo my dear, have you forgotten that former governor of River state peter odili, had 3 private jets, houses in UK, america and south africa all for himself alone and i hope also u have not forgotten the famous James Ibori , the former Delta state governor who stole billions of naira from his people, having luxury houses all over the world, in europe , america , canada , and dubai, with chain of luxury cars and billions in foreign bank account who is now in UK prison

Now ask urself, Instead of stealing those money and using it for personal luxury wouldnt that money have been enough to be paying even if it was half tuition fees to his people in school.

governor rochas okorocha should be praised not critisized please, we need people who think like him to move this country forward

Bro don't get me wrong,I like Owelle a lot. Ibori and Odili are animals and Rochas appears to be better than them. In fact if you go through the thread, you will find where I stated that he's far better than Ohakim. What I am worried about is that in an effort to create populist policies, an unnecessary debt burden might be created for future administrations which might hinder long term progress because populist policies are not usually married to economic realities.
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by solomonkane(m): 8:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
uplawal: @Solomonkane,you are a big fool and idiot,why do you think every student of a well rich nation not deverve a free education at all level,all you could come up with is they will be in massive debt,free education should be for anyone willing to learn in a rich nation like Nigeria,and there is no adverse effect if managed well.

Infact,All student in Nigeria are supposed to be educated freely,IMO State welldone,Fashola pls follow suit

Just when you thought they were finished, another unintelligent doofus with the IQ of a dung beetle crawls out of the pits of ignorance. So because Nigeria is "rich", education should be free? I believe in QUALITATIVE SUBSIDIZED EDUCATION at all levels, not FREE SUBSTANDARD EDUCATION, if you don't like it, crawl back into the sewer you emerged from. E.O.D!!!!!!
Re: Free Tertiary Education Kicks-Off In Imo State by mancol(m): 8:45pm On Nov 16, 2012
Everyone who has criticised the Gov or made pessimistic remarks regarding this project, to me, may have just expressed a fair opinion.

However, I would want to say that they have judged the Gov wrongly without any recourse to the enviable record of philantrophic precedence which he had set and continued setting both within and outside the state even before occupying any elective post.

Apparently, a man who had demonstrated such magnanimity in collosal outlay to charity and philantrophy(with his own money) should be given at least some measure of benefit of doubt if not trust to deliver on this one.

Yes! It is also true that talk is cheap. But, I am very opmistic that Owelle Rochas' brand of politics will not veer in the direction of those of ordinary Nigerian "Polithievians" who would say much and end up doing less or nothing atferall. If he can do it with his personal resources, the feasibility of replicating same now with the state's fund is for me very high.

It is also true that structures in form of facilities and adequate remuneration of teachers and lecturers alike need to be in place. I may not be correct with statistics but the Gov has kickstarted that in many of the schools(primary, secondary and tertiary) at least within Owerri metropolis. Structures are seriously been put in place though it is a far cry from what may ordinarily be expected. It is a gradual process!

Finally, as an Imo indigene who beleive so much on the Owelle Rochas administration, I would want to use this medium to passionately appeal to him to subsequently expand the horizon of this programme via extending this olive branch of magnanimity to those of us who are indigent students in tertiary institutions outside the shores of Imo state. I believe this noble idea is all about eliminating barriers to the development of the state's human capital for a sustainable future growth. And as such, I think should include both resident and non-resident indigenes.

Just my 2cents though!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Houdegbe North American University Not On The List Of Accredited Universities / Aaua 2011/2012 Post-ume Cut Off / Study, Work & Live In TURKEY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.