Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,197 members, 7,822,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback (12321 Views)

Privatisation Of PHCN A Fraud, Electricity Workers Tell Buhari / Move To Impeach Fayose Suffers Setback / Buhari’s Eligibility Suit Suffers Setback, Adjourned To April 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 1:44pm On Nov 14, 2012
Sensible Nigerians can see another display of the corruption and vested interest GEJ is about. Anyone can look into the archives to see I stated it on several occasions that "pseudo-privatisation" of the power sector, amounting to an exercise in cynicism and opportunism, is all we will get under GEJ. I.e a very corrupt President will pretend to 'privatise' while ultimately he will frustrate competent and proven expert to aid the unfair enrichment of his crooked pals.

They say "due process" was not followed. OK. Now they should follow due process and then bring in a 'corsortium' put together yesterday by Abdulsalami, Otedola or Dangote since sensible folks know that is what this shameless action is all about. Glad to know Manitoba is working well in Kenya. Another show of the crass greed and selfishness killing Nigeria.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-scraps-canada-power-contract-privatisation-setback-113749262--finance.html

Nigeria scraps Canada power contract in privatisation setback
By Joe Brock and Felix Onuah | Reuters – 40 mins ago

ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria has terminated a $24 million electricity contract with Canada's state-owned Manitoba Hydro, the presidency said on Wednesday, in a setback for plans to privatise a moribund power sector that is holding back economic growth.

The hiring of Manitoba to manage the national power transmission network had been seen by industry experts as a major step forward for the reform process. The presidency said President Goodluck Jonathan annulled the deal because "due process was not followed in the award of the contract". But his decision could add to fears about political interference in the sector that analysts say are holding back badly needed foreign investment.
Africa's most populous nation of more than 160 million holds the world's ninth-largest gas reserves but is blighted by power cuts which last several hours a day, forcing businesses and individuals who can afford them to rely on diesel generators.

Economists say a successful power privatisation could push growth in Africa's second largest economy into double digits, from around 6.5 percent now. Yet critics question the integrity of the process, which looks set to leave much of the sector in the hands of powerful local oligarchs with scant experience.
"Mr President has cancelled the Manitoba power contract with immediate effect," Presidency Spokesman Reuben Abati told Reuters.
"Mr president would not want to comprise due process in anyway ... I assure you that this does not in any way affect the on going privatisation of the power sector," Abati later added.

Choosing a firm to manage transmission took more than five years, in a process supported by the World Bank.
Standard and Poor's upgraded Nigeria's credit rating last week but said a failure to push through reforms to areas like power could put its more positive view at risk.
Manitoba was supposed to start work at the beginning of September but transmission is still in control of the government. Sources within the privatisation process said the ministry of power was unhappy handing over to Manitoba.
"We had a clear contract and we were meant to be given delegation of authority ... but that didn't happen," Don Priestman, the head of the Manitoba-run Transmission Company of Nigeria, told Reuters by phone.
"There are forces working against reform," he added, saying a similar contract Manitoba has in Kenya was working well.

The power ministry did not respond to calls for comment.
Nigeria is in the middle of privatising the bulk of its power plants and distributing networks, in a reform process supposed to give foreign investors the confidence to provide the estimated $10 billion-a-year the electricity sector needs.
Transmission is the key link between power plants and sub-stations feeding end users, and its poor management in the past has made investments in producing or distributing power unprofitable, industry experts say.
Nigeria's lack of power helps perpetuate social inequality in a country where the majority survive on $2 a day or less.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by courage89(m): 4:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
This is a big blow to the power reform, and all other reforms due to follow. If we cannot honor an established contract, how are the international companies supposed to take us serious. These companies spent significant amount of money on due dilligence, and for what...for the contract to be scrapped due to incompetency of the handlers.

We need to get our act together or else; everytime we call for these kind of investments and expecting credible companies to participate, they'll never come.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
This is a shocking set back. I'm a strong supporter of this govt and power sector reforms is one of the reasons I support the govt. I hope this decision was taken in good faith and will be in the long term benefit of the power sector. If the presidency says due process was not followed, can they please re-start the process again and fast track it, following due process? But I think we shouldn't always read BAD meaning to govt action or inaction. However govt must also prove that it means well. But we still await confirmation in the main stream media because I still wonder why a process that passed thru the BPE and all that is still said not to have passed thru due process

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 5:41pm On Nov 14, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: This is a shocking set back. I'm a strong supporter of this govt and power sector reforms is one of the reasons I support the govt. I hope this decision was taken in good faith and will be in the long term benefit of the power sector. If the presidency says due process was not followed, can they please re-start the process again and fast track it, following due process? But I think we shouldn't always read BAD meaning to govt action or inaction. However govt must also prove that it means well. But we still await confirmation in the main stream media because I still wonder why a process that passed thru the BPE and all that is still said not to have passed thru due process

Nobody sets off trying to do that. For how terribly Nigeria needs reformation, do you think Nigerians simply became pessimistic about the sincerity of the FG overnight or have they gotten that way because many direct examples of insincere Government behaviour leads them to be that way?

The PDP Government, since 1999, has a history of trying to concede profitable State assets and processes into the hands of unfit cronies because the unspoken ideology of the Party, which should focus on social responsibility and people-oriented governance for where Nigeria is, revolves around the empowerment of a rapacious and crude Oligarchy developed, to the detriment of Nigeria, with partisan application of political power . That , without a doubt, is what is happening here once again. Wait and see.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 14, 2012
i was crestfallen the moment i heard this on radio this afternoon as i drove home.
if this isnt corruption at it highest ebb i wonder what is.
jonathan has lost his marble.

we obviously know the guys who will follow 'due process'

bloody hell!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by gbanikiti(m): 6:02pm On Nov 14, 2012
And the darkness continues! Who is going to solve the epileptic power supply in Nigeria? Will Jesus come down from heaven to solve it for us? There are indeed forces both physical and spiritual making this country not to achieve its goal in providing constant electricity.Barth Nnaji was a classical example of someone being tormented by his enemies to make sure Nigerians don't enjoy electricity.since he resigned as Power minister,things have gone back to square one.what a shame!
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by seanet01: 6:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
Infact i don't know what to say.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by FreeGlobe(f): 6:37pm On Nov 14, 2012
GEJ is the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria but then am suspicious of the OP, an ardent thoefnubu supporter, Tinubu is not different from GEJ, am afraid but I dont think the OP is geniune, he may be angry at the process because Tinubu lodt out from the juicy deal. Am just saying.

If anybody thinks the light situation in Nigeria will improve in the near future, you are wallowing in a wild dream.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2012
and why are we surprised grin grin grin it is not a laughing matter though but food for thought. the lot of Nigerian Leadership continues to deepen our enslavement by poverty by taking actions that guarantee a future blighted with bleak poverty and suffering, economically, mentally and spiritually. Unless we shelve our collective bigotry and recognize who the true enemy is. GEJ May your intestine rot with cancer and your brains melt through your nose. you wicked Satan . i am truly pissed to see a problem from 25yrs ago about to be recycled and fed to my children angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 7:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
FreeGlobe: GEJ is the worst thing to have happened to Nigeria but then am suspicious of the OP, an ardent thoefnubu supporter, Tinubu is not different from GEJ, am afraid but I dont think the OP is geniune, he may be angry at the process because Tinubu lodt out from the juicy deal. Am just saying.

If anybody thinks the light situation in Nigeria will improve in the near future, you are wallowing in a wild dream.

You will remain clannish and focused on personalities your entire miserable, wretched and voyeuristic life. Go through NL archives you stupid slowpoke to realise that at no stage have I put support for anyone above what is best for Nigeria. As if I am not the same person who opposed Tinubu winning a Disco bid because I wanted the privatisation of our power sector to only benefit proven industry players who know precisely what to do and have a history of delivering.

Some of you should get a life instead of coming here to attack and malign others via opening your filthy mouth to talk bullcrap. You must think others are perpetually devoted to personalities as you show you are here. If you have nothing constructive to say then get lost and spare us your market woman antics. Who the hell is Tinubu when we are talking of something so fundamental to the development of Nigeria. Abeg get lost. Annoying m0r0n.

https://www.nairaland.com/1040971/phcn-assets-ibb-abdulsalami-tinubu/2

Gbawe wrote:
My brother, Tinubu and others , with any submitted bid, should simply demonstrate core and historical record of competence in the said sector otherwise him and others should be bounced ASAP in preference for those who show that they have always delivered solutions. The power sector, for me, is more important than the need to support the interest of personalities. I know why I said what I did below when Nnaji's resignation was announced.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
The truth, I suppose, lies somewhere between the article provided by Gbawe and the one copied in below.

My gut feeling on this one suggests the presidency finally kowtowed to the same group who engineered Prof Nnaji's exit on the grounds of conflicting interests.

Inquiring minds would like to know what other trade-offs are being made at the expense of Nigerians by a beleaguered administration, which is clearly now under constant assault from the ranks of 'trusted' loyalists.

The contract between the Federal Government and a Canadian firm, Manitoba, for the management of the Transmission Company of Nigeria may go awry following the stripping of Manitoba of powers to control human resource and finance at the company.

Investigation by our correspondent showed that the Canadian firm, which in July sealed a N3.72bn deal to manage TCN, one of the successor companies carved out of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, had lost its powers to manage the organisation at the insistence of PHCN workers.

With this development, the PHCN workers are to control both the human and financial resources at the company, while Manitoba employees seconded to Nigeria will be responsible for the technical expansion of the nation’s power grid.

While 17 other PHCN successor companies were slated for either privatisation or concession in the ongoing power sector reform programme of President Goodluck Jonathan, the Federal Government retained 100 per cent ownership in TCN.

[b]However, in order to ensure effective management as well as expansion of the national grid, TCN was slated for management contract for an initial period of three years.

The management contractor was expected not only to expand the grid within the period of the contact, but also to ensure that Nigerian workers were effectively trained to fill the skill gap that had been identified.

However, the PHCN workers had consistently opposed the planned takeover of the human resource and market operator functions of TCN by the Canadian firm, arguing that it would render them redundant

They feared that the Canadian firm could also embark on cutting down the staff strength of the organisation as well as clip the wings of the workers in determining who gets what.

Given the opposition of the workers, the Federal Government under the former Minister of Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, used security agents, including police and army officers to ensure that Manitoba took charge on July 30.

However, it was learnt that following the exit of Nnaji, the workers resumed their opposition against Manitoba until the Federal Government succumbed to their pressure and stripped Manitoba of the human resource and market operation functions.

The workers had perceived Nnaji as a hardliner, who was not ready to shift position in the pursuit of the power sector reform, and employed every strategy to frustrate him.[/b].
Read More
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 7:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
eGuerrilla: The truth, I suppose, lies somewhere between the article provided by Gbawe and the one copied in below.

My gut feeling on this one suggests the presidency finally kowtowed to the same group who engineered Prof Nnaji's exit on the grounds of conflicting interests.

Inquiring minds would like to know what other trade-offs are being made at the expense of Nigerians by a beleaguered administration, which is clearly now under constant assault from the ranks of 'trusted' loyalists.

Read More

Correct my brother .... we said as much and predicted this outcome on the thread below where we both concluded that Nigeria did not need a cynical and profiteering Oligarchy crafted out of the privatisation of our power sector. I stated it several time that the FG must give utmost consideration to the established and proven power expert and not play cronyism with this important exercise which should not ,in the slightest, be tainted with any myopic agenda. Alas, our greedy leaders can never help themselves. In GEJ, they have a weak and obliging 'facilitator'.

https://www.nairaland.com/1040971/phcn-assets-ibb-abdulsalami-tinubu/3
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by otokx(m): 7:38pm On Nov 14, 2012
So we are back to where we started which is that the main problem of Nigeria is not GEJ or PDP but the very subset of people called Nigerians living in Nigeria. Look every where around you be it private and or public and you will see that many people are employed to do nothing and they do not even try to pretend. Our attitude to work is so very bad and yet we want to expect the best.

Our refineries are not working yet the workforce well in excess of 5000 is not bothered as long as their salaries are paid so who is deceiving who?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 14, 2012
In a move aimed at ensuring that due process is followed, President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday cancelled the $23.72 million management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), a critical component of the power reform and privatisation programme.

The president, THISDAY learnt last night, cancelled the contract that was awarded to Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International, which had been selected by the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) to run TCN for three years, with the option to extend for another two years.

Manitoba had signed the $23.7 million management contract with the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) last July, following a long drawn out process that lasted more than five years, in which the Canadian firm and Power Grid of India had their technical and financial proposals evaluated to determine which of the companies would be selected as management contractor.

The selection process for a management contractor was started under the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2007, [/b]but was stalled by his successor, the late President Umaru Yar'Adua, who rolled back the power sector reform and privatisation programme.

However, when Jonathan took over in 2010 and launched the Power Sector Road Map that same year, the Federal Government directed the BPE to continue with the process from where it had been stopped, rather than re-advertising for prospective companies to express interest all over.

The decision was based on the fact that the government was eager to jump-start the power privatisation process without the bureaucratic red tape.

But presidency sources said the president based his decision to cancel the contract on a memo sent by the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), which for several weeks, had been pushing for its cancellation on the premise that did it not pass through due process as provided under the Public Procurement Act.

The Director General of the BPP, Emeka Eze, THISDAY learnt, was said to have kicked against the appointment of Manitoba because a few material irregularities had been noticed in the process that led to the company's selection.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201211140262.html
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by franchizy(m): 7:54pm On Nov 14, 2012
GEJ is the corruption Nigeria should fight dats all

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 14, 2012
All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by dunmorris(m): 8:08pm On Nov 14, 2012
The Young Africans We Get two Ears To Hear!!!!? we get two eyes too!!!? yes! na wayo Govt We Day o È gba wa Wo! ariki Monkey Govt We Day O È gba wa o! Goodbadluck Ebere Jonatwine 4ck Dem

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 14, 2012
Nigerians are hard to please. despite the presidents total commitment to resurrecting the power sector, some people want crucify him because he decided to follow due process. na wa p
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by duality(m): 8:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire: All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.

GBAM!!

this seems to much for Gbawe to comprehend.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by trolling(m): 8:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
gbanikiti: And the darkness continues! Who is going to solve the epileptic power supply in Nigeria? Will Jesus come down from heaven to solve it for us? There are indeed forces both physical and spiritual making this country not to achieve its goal in providing constant electricity.Barth Nnaji was a classical example of someone being tormented by his enemies to make sure Nigerians don't enjoy electricity.since he resigned as Power minister,things have gone back to square one.what a shame!
Only a Divine King will restore peace,righteousnss, equity to the whole world, so you guys can forget about naija being lawful and moral, its only gonna get worse and worse for nations worldwide.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by juicyinn: 8:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
GEJ is indeed clueless.worse president ever

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Reference(m): 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
But I thought the general consensus lately was that transmission infrastructure was a security no no to the private sector thoughtless of foreign interests. Anyway I've always had my doubts about this privatisation and wish to repeat that if this was how OBJ handled the telecoms sector, it will not be near what it is today.

Its a real pity that we donot have one single global or regional player operating independently at least to set standards and pacemake power investment. The power privatisation model we have today rather bears semblance to the fiascos we witnessed with our prized foundaries at Ajaokuta, Sapele and of course Ikot Ekpene.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Gbawe: 8:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
duality:

GBAM!!

The likes of you ,despite never contributing anything intelligent here, like personalising issues to distractingly make things about your fellow posters. That is why you can foolishly assume I do not "comprehend" issues whereas it is the you and the ignorant poster you quote ,who always speaks incorrectly to defend GEJ blindly, who lack comprehension.

The Manitoba contract was not "signed" under GEJ "without due process" as Billionaire lied. Before you should quote him in future, know that he is a shameless and unrepentant liar who turns to falsehood to defend every action of GEJ. Anyway simply wait and see how things turn out. In the meantime enjoy the lies of Billionaire, that you speak based on, being exposed below. The Manitoba contract, even as the groundwork began under OBJ, was formally signed under GEJ last July. It is no surprise a deceitful President is supported by desperate lying hacks like Billionaire who come here to deceive others with arrant lies. You and your lying pal can clear off.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211140262.html

Nigeria: Power Privatisation - President Cancels Manitoba Contract
BY IJEOMA NWOGWUGWU, 14 NOVEMBER 2012

In a move aimed at ensuring that due process is followed, President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday cancelled the $23.72 million management contract for the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), a critical component of the power reform and privatisation programme.

The president, THISDAY learnt last night, cancelled the contract that was awarded to Canadian firm, Manitoba Hydro International, which had been selected by the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) to run TCN for three years, with the option to extend for another two years.

Manitoba had signed the $23.7 million management contract with the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) last July, following a long drawn out process that lasted more than five years, in which the Canadian firm and Power Grid of India had their technical and financial proposals evaluated to determine which of the companies would be selected as management contractor.

The selection process for a management contractor was started under the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2007, but was stalled by his successor, the late President Umaru Yar'Adua, who rolled back the power sector reform and privatisation programme.

However, when Jonathan took over in 2010 and launched the Power Sector Road Map that same year, the Federal Government directed the BPE to continue with the process from where it had been stopped, rather than re-advertising for prospective companies to express interest all over.

The decision was based on the fact that the government was eager to jump-start the power privatisation process without the bureaucratic red tape.

But presidency sources said the president based his decision to cancel the contract on a memo sent by the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), which for several weeks, had been pushing for its cancellation on the premise that did it not pass through due process as provided under the Public Procurement Act.

The Director General of the BPP, Emeka Eze, THISDAY learnt, was said to have kicked against the appointment of Manitoba because a few material irregularities had been noticed in the process that led to the company's selection.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by KA24DETT(m): 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2012
Billyonaire: All the DISCOS we selected in an open bid, but Manitoba Canada's contract was signed under OBJ regime without due process, and no open bidding. If we must get it right, we have to be transparent, and we must do it right and not let vested interest of past administrations blind our sense of judgement. We need an open bid process to appoint the best firm to handle this job, if Manitoba wins in an open bidding then so be it.

Do you think due process works in Nigeria ? Give me an example of ONE due process that has benefitted the country? You think Manitoba hydro is corrupt like you guys down there.
The contract was cancelled because Jonathan wants to please the PHCN workers, Nigerians are their own enemies. Barth Nnaji knows how to fix the problem but he was frustrated out to please the few.
I thought Jonathan would have taken the high road and let him continue the reform and lead this country out of this mess or at least bring someone else that had the same zeal to fix the power sector like Nnaji
Abraham Lincoln is one of the most respected president in America because of his stand on issues, even though half of the country wanted to secede away because they don't want to give up their slaves. He took the high road and stuck to the cause because he believes it will serve the country good. He was assassinated in the end.
Your president does not believe in anything, he can not make any major decision that would move this country forward.
You are over there screaming due process and laws. Learn to think critically and ask "WHY".
Some situations calls for drastic measures, Power is the only thing holding that country back. Fix power and road and you will see Nigeria growth rate in the double digits

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Reference(m): 8:28pm On Nov 14, 2012
duality:

GBAM!!

But we know that a first class company of international repute will almost certainly not get it. Look, the article clearly says Nigeria needs 10 billion dollars a year of investment to grow the industry. I simply can't see who's going to raise such on that list. And when you have a cartel that has lived all its life on generators to set the pace, do you really expect stable power anytime soon. We simply need people with standards far higher than the Dangote's can offer just to lead the race.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Ijebulogic(m): 8:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
Time to dust up the old blue passport and jet outta here. Two steps forward and 10 backwards

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 14, 2012
Gbawe:

The likes of you ,despite never contributing anything intelligent here, like personalizing issues to distractingly make things about your fellow posters. Simply wait and see how things turn out.
Gbawe, without personalizing issues lets be very frank, you should agree that Manitoba's contract was nou done in an open bidding like the DISCOs, OBJ didnt follow due process to get that contract, it is why Yaradua kept the contract inactive, and even the amount involved in that contract is ridiculous. So we need to conduct an open bidding and get this right. Sentiments and dislike of GEJ should not stand between us and truth. OBJ and Co; need to tell Nigerians why they insisted on Monitoba. We are now aware, and we will not let those old corrupt politicians use tribal sentiments to blind us from realism. Nigeria belongs to us all and not the few disgruntled Soldiers-turned-politicians and their surrogates. Gbawe, I am right. Congratulate me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 14, 2012
GEJ secretly confessed that the reason he doesn't care about Nigeria's success anymore is cos of the way people abuse him online. He said he doesn't care anymore and few in the room were shocked.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by mrrock: 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2012
There's no way this privatisation process would happen without corruption standing on it's way. Corruption is the rock on which Nigeria stands. Recently I started having this feeling Jonathan and his administration have their hands tied in deep corruption.

Abdulsalami, IBB, Tinumbu e.t.c have no history of running an electricity firm. How come they are winning power contracts?. When we have credible and tested firms to choose?.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2012
KA24DETT:

Do you think due process works in Nigeria ? Give me an example of ONE due process that has benefitted the country? You think Manitoba hydro is corrupt like you guys down there.
The contract was cancelled because Jonathan wants to please the PHCN workers, Nigerians are their own enemies. Barth Nnaji knows how to fix the problem but he was frustrated out to please the few.
I thought Jonathan would have taken the high road and let him continue the reform and lead this country out of this mess or at least bring someone else that had the same zeal to fix the power sector like Nnaji
Abraham Lincoln is one of the most respected president in America because of his stand on issues, even though half of the country wanted to secede away because they don't want to give up their slaves. He took the high road and stuck to the cause because he believes it will serve the country good. He was assassinated in the end.
Your president does not believe in anything, he can not make any major decision that would move this country forward.
You are over there screaming due process and laws. Learn to think critically and ask "WHY".
Some situations calls for drastic measures, Power is the only thing holding that country back. Fix power and road and you will see Nigeria growth rate in the double digits

Lets keep conspiracy theory aside cos the dynamics of the world today has been speedily altered by internet and the awareness it brings. I did mention that OBJ did not follow due process in selecting that company and the contract sum is ridiculous. Yaradua hibernated that contract cos he did not want to hurt OBJ & Crew, but GEJ is risking all relationships with the old to set an unforgettable record. The voice of the opposition to this policy will be very loud, but facts always prevail. Lets do this right, let there be bidding, let us not let our old generation diehard milito-political cabals use their press to drum negative energies into your psyche. Let there be bidding, an open one, and let there be light. And again if PHCN is plunging us into darkness, do we enjoy the darkness ? We have to do all it takes for the bulbs to illuminate our ways, our minds and our thoughts.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Canada Power Contract In Privatisation Setback by COMPAQ(m): 8:43pm On Nov 14, 2012
Why am I not surprised! Get is grossly incompetent. How has due process suddenly not been followed! A process that just ended a few months ago and was celebrated in the media! So what went wrong? I really don't understand this country! When are we going to consistently move forward? We take one step forward and 2 back,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kogi Government Shuts Down Tao FM To Save DG's Head - Kogireports.com / Bode George: Only God Knows Who Will Be Alive In 2023 / Jonathan To Observe General Elections In Zambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.